Notices

One Year & Over Part 68

Old 06-04-2019, 03:51 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone
Have a great Tuesday (or Tuesday night as it is here now)
Old 06-04-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Hey, Willow, great to see you here and congrats on one year!

Although I wish I could be like Itchy, I don’t know if an occasional little whisper from the av will ever be completely gone for me. I had a 13-year sober run before my last crash so I stay just a little bit vigilant in a corner of my mind and come here nearly every day. It’s not hard now but for me it’s critical because I don’t ever want to go back there. Early on in my IOP, I learned to”think it through to the end” when I had a craving. I practiced that so much (!) that now I just start it by thinking “and so what would happen if I had one drink?” And then the whole picture flashes past in just a few seconds with no effort. It’s been working really well for me :-)

Have a good day, Overs!
Old 06-04-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Playing the tape through.....I will never stop doing that either Sass. It is a wonderful tool. So wonderful in fact that I use it in all areas of my life now....well I try. I have a terrible temper, so I know more or less what is going to happen/unfold if I unleash it on the world.

Hmmm, it occurs to me that this is all mindfulness. Which I am sure is obvious to everyone else....I just have an issue with that word....it is so overused. So I'm not sure to be honest.

OK, I absolutely need more coffee, because I am stupid tired.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:59 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  
Magsie

Suze ’s . I love the fact how honest we are now we’re sober. It’s very refreshing after all the scheming and hiding drinks in the past!
Old 06-04-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

I think playing the tape forward is the only thing that’s kept from picking up a drink on sooo many occasions. I need to keep doing it. And I haven’t re-read the daily diary I kept during withdrawal for a while so I’m going to have another read to remind myself exactly how I never want to feel again.

I love the link to the Brene Brown interview Suze, thanks for pointing that out. I’ve just put her book Daring greatly on my booklist to get. I still haven’t finished reading this naked mind (Annie Grace) yet, so I really should get back to it.

I think I’ve been so caught up working 3 jobs that I’ve become a bit complacent about recovery, so today I’m having a “me” day. One of my jobs has finally finished and I’m back to a manageable 2 part-time jobs. It’s 7am Wednesday and I have the day off! It’s cold here (winter has finally arrived in the north of Australia, it got down to 14C last night with a max of 21C today) and I’m rugged up in my fluffy woollens and fluffy ugg boots and staying put on the couch with a lovely hot coffee and browsing SR for a while
Old 06-04-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

It’s cold here (winter has finally arrived in the north of Australia, it got down to 14C last night with a max of 21C today) and I’m rugged up in my fluffy woollens and fluffy ugg boots...
Oh my God girl.....cold? So funny. Got down to 14? Max of only 21? You do realise that Queenslanders are horribly spoiled....your weather is HEAVEN.

That sounds like a perfect day to me, those temps. My ideal.

It gets down to around -23 Celsius here on really cold winter nights....just saying.....

Ha ha, I am an American Aussie now. s xx
Old 06-04-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Lol Suze, I guess I’m so used to it constantly being 30C + and stinking hot humidity, that when it gets below 25 I feel it! Even at night. And if it’s below 20, well we’re all rugged up here now. I just watched some people walk along the beach in jeans, boots, big coats and beanies
It occasionally gets down to below 10 at night, but usually only one or 2 nights during the entire winter.
But I know I’m blessed to live where I do. It’s truly beautiful. I don’t think I would know how to survive in below zero temperatures!
Old 06-04-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love winter and we haven't had one for several years so I'm happy - with the wind it was about 12 here yesterday...flanno weather

D
Old 06-04-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I love winter and we haven't had one for several years so I'm happy - with the wind it was about 12 here yesterday...flanno weather

D
Brrrr
Old 06-04-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

12C is t-shirt weather here....and shorts. Really.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:35 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

I shared this elsewhere, but I think if I turned around and saw a weird coloured floating girl with a salad bowl on her head, I would get upset too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DyqzPegnXs
Old 06-04-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi overs

Dee, what’s flano weather. I looked it up and got footballer, llano weather, and many other things but not the meaning. I’m guessing great, perfect?

PJ, I would get worried if I was in a spaceship and the weird girl with bowl on her head had no oxygen mask! unless the bowl is some kinda futuristic feeder of oxygen? I want one! Please.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:19 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

A beautiful morning today.

Our wheelie bin collection , plus recycle tubs, today. Yaaay.

Have a good Wednesday my friends, haven’t seen the camel for a while! xx
Old 06-04-2019, 11:49 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Sleep has been eluding me recently. I was so tired yesterday I had a bit of a pity party going on. Going to sleep is no problem but I wake up at first light. I've got hardboard / masonite sheets to put over the windows but there's still light coming around the edges - a work in progress.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:32 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

We have such short nights and long days here in Scotland in the summer Andy, I put a sleep mask on when I wake in the early hours. It does the trick for me!

Is Flanno for flannels?

Our weather in Scotland is usually pants. It's June and we have a high today of 13C but it'll feel colder with the wind chill.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:18 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Yep a flanno is a long sleeved flannelette shirt for cool weather in Australia
I got my flannelette pyjamas out today
Old 06-05-2019, 03:18 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry - I was in a hurry this morning .

Flanno - Flannelette shirt - don't know what the international name equivalents are

Old 06-05-2019, 03:25 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Hello, Overs --

I guess it is time for me to introduce myself to you all, though I certainly recognize names/handles from my jaunt through SR in my first year. My sobriety date is May 15th, and I know some of my buddies from May have recently come to you to join the conversations. I see some of you in other forums.

I have had good and hard days over the time that I have been here in the SR groups but am doing pretty well. I've had the pleasure of nearly completing a first year in my new job (July 2), have lost a parent recently, and I'm working on getting my life generally in order after a real rough couple of years and events preceding giving up alcohol.

I'm a strange sleeper, so you'll see me posting at odd hours frequently, it's just my circadian rhythm is not typical. I had to just apologize to Venus over in the early risers forum for putting out a late answer today to a question, because I missed catching up on some of the posts until a while ago. I will try to stay current on what is to learn from this new, for me, forum.

Peace ...
Old 06-05-2019, 04:07 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Welcome, Guener!
Old 06-05-2019, 05:58 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Welcome to the Overs Guener and Willow!

Have a good day all!