Notices

Class of April 2019 Support Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 02:04 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bimbott View Post
Morning all,

How's everyone doing today? Day 6 for me and I am still waking up with what feels like a hang over.
Morning! I'm a bit groggy myself though bizarrely felt tip top yesterday (for a Day 2) and got so much done, so I guess I can relax a bit more today.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:07 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mariecheese View Post
I'm like this too.....and without that crutch I'm usually completely awkward with people but Its something I can work on. Well done for getting through it :-)
Thanks, M-cheese. I had to keep telling myself that despite the two comments about my lemonade, nobody gave a damn what I was or was not drinking, and that any awkwardness came from within.

Fact remained: I still felt like a fish out of water.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:57 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Just checking in. 20 days without drink. Went Wednesday night to cafe/bar to see people I met at last weekend 'new friends' maybe. Did not drink but felt uncomfortable, not been somewhere since I stopped drinking.
Then yesterday (Friday) again feeling the Alcoholic Voice, so I just go home after work and eat and take a long bath and sleep. And ok today. Just feeling 'bored'. I have been told this is normal to feel high and low a lot - but is nearly 3 weeks since I stopped. Still seems so strange not to have bottles in my apartment to 'lift me up'.

Tomorrow afternoon I will go out to have food with someone I met Wednesday, but a stranger thing is that not drinking was okay, normal people dont drink so much. I did say 'I just dont like to drink' - seems like easiest way, people cannot argue with this.

But today I will do some boring things like go to supermarket. Get some exercise. And then I think 'hey - its better than waking from a drunk' - glad Im almost 3 weeks. Got another appointment to see doctor on Friday - hopefully blood will look better this time - because I am not drinking and eating very healthy every day.

Thanks.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:45 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Day 6 going strong
Old 04-27-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Day 4

I made it to Day 4. In my earlier attempts, the early days are not usually so hard. The alcohol witch (the voice) was going strong yesterday though and I almost caved.

It was such a beautiful day yesterday, a trigger, as it gives thoughts of a "peaceful" early to late evening sitting out on the patio drinking an IPA down with each cigarette I light. Also, my 17 year old would not be home, so I wouldn't have to worry about her knowledge of this "escape" I get to do when she's not home, which is somewhat frequent as she is heavily involved in theatre after school stuff.

From 2-6, I heard, "you can just start over again" or "just for today" and "it would be so nice". I thought about my accountability here and even thought, "i could just have a cheat day, no one would know".

Then I recalled a blog I read here when a woman was speaking of "playing the tape through", not just to the next day's hangover, but to do days upon weeks this cheat day would take me.

So, I resisted. Even was honest with my husband and told him that I resisted the urge to grab a six pack on my way home and he hugged me. I laughed at dinner and felt very connected with my family.

Now it's a new day, didn't sleep that well, but being tired is much better than feeling like **** with a hangover. Overcoming the alcohol witch in me makes me feel very empowered. Feeling grateful and fortunate to have been given a test, and passed it, so early in the game.

Day 4 here we go.

Sorry for the long post, but had to share.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

OtherSideOfMe - Occasionally also I get this voice (20 days sober) - and I also 'play it through'. And it is always nice next morning to wake knowing is a new day and you pulled through !! - I never want another day 1. ever.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:12 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Great job

Originally Posted by OtherSideOfMe View Post
I made it to Day 4. In my earlier attempts, the early days are not usually so hard. The alcohol witch (the voice) was going strong yesterday though and I almost caved.

It was such a beautiful day yesterday, a trigger, as it gives thoughts of a "peaceful" early to late evening sitting out on the patio drinking an IPA down with each cigarette I light. Also, my 17 year old would not be home, so I wouldn't have to worry about her knowledge of this "escape" I get to do when she's not home, which is somewhat frequent as she is heavily involved in theatre after school stuff.

From 2-6, I heard, "you can just start over again" or "just for today" and "it would be so nice". I thought about my accountability here and even thought, "i could just have a cheat day, no one would know".

Then I recalled a blog I read here when a woman was speaking of "playing the tape through", not just to the next day's hangover, but to do days upon weeks this cheat day would take me.

So, I resisted. Even was honest with my husband and told him that I resisted the urge to grab a six pack on my way home and he hugged me. I laughed at dinner and felt very connected with my family.

Now it's a new day, didn't sleep that well, but being tired is much better than feeling like **** with a hangover. Overcoming the alcohol witch in me makes me feel very empowered. Feeling grateful and fortunate to have been given a test, and passed it, so early in the game.

Day 4 here we go.

Sorry for the long post, but had to share.
glad you resisted the the urge to buy a 6 pack. My drug of choice is marijuana and it is day 3 for me. It is not easy because we both have the AV inside of us saying one beer or joint won’t hurt but deep down inside we know it is insane for us to think that way.

I worry that I will cave in and smoke with friends but I need to be strong and say NO.

I am feeling a little better but I know I still have so far to go. Today I decide not to smoke marijuana.

Best wishes.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

For me it's Day 3 and damn it's been an emotional Day 3. For no reason other than I guess I'm feeling feelings rather than numbing them. Kind of sad but kind of in a good way.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Today is my day 2 and I still don’t feel amazing—stomach hurts, very insecure and self-loathing, but there is one big difference from yesterday. I got actual uninterrupted sleep all night last night! I can’t remember the last time that happened. A few more days of this and I might actually feel like a person again.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Day 3 and feeling good, that’s Fri & Sat night with no beer and 4 weeks today’s off the fags!
Old 04-27-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  
Administrator

It really does get better guys - stick with it

D
Old 04-28-2019, 12:37 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alex41 View Post
Day 3 and feeling good, that’s Fri & Sat night with no beer and 4 weeks today’s off the fags!
Well done with the smoking as well - that is tough. I stopped smoking and drinking at the same time 2 years ago. I still haven't gone back to the smokes. It definitely makes it easier if you ditch them both IMO.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:50 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

The start of Day 7. My body is still protesting. My sleep is better and less disturbed, but I am waking up so groggy and aching all over.
Without wishing to gross people out who may be just about to tuck into their breakfast, I'm also slightly concerned over the state of my kidney function. I won't go into details but I don't recall it taking this long to return to what I consider to be a normal state of affairs. On the plus side, this is even more incentive to stay away from alcohol - how far away am I from lasting damage?

Yesterday was nice. Spent time with my kids and my brother. Didn't lose my temper when putting up a 10ft trampoline - came close a couple of times mind you, especially when my brother dropped the special tool that came with it in between the decking.
Spent the evening watching television and having cuddles with my daughter - sober.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:54 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your week bimbott

D
Old 04-28-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Congrats bimbott on the week :-) Drink loads of water to help the kidneys cranberry juice is good for them too.

Well done everyone love reading all your posts. I know what you mean about the emotions not being numbed any more tetrax it's hard, I'm trying to remember it's perfectly OK to feel negative emotions aswell as positive ones, and they will pass.

Day 25 today I've just attended a family birthday party, no alcohol about as my family either drink very little or not at all so not difficult to avoid it, though I have to admit I would usually have had a drink beforehand in secret to give me confidence, to make me seem happy and talkative, anyway remained sober today and though I was quiet and didn't have much to say,it's nice to be home and relax and I'm not worrying about whether anyone thought I was drunk. No horrible sick guilt feeling.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:08 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Four weeks and I ate too much this weekend. I worked out but went over my calorie limit. I made a cake, it was all too much temptation. However, the regret of cake is nothing compared to how I felt four weeks ago.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Mariecheese;7173890

Day 25 today I've just attended a family birthday party, no alcohol about as my family either drink very little or not at all so not difficult to avoid it, though I have to admit I would usually have had a drink beforehand in secret to give me confidence, to make me seem happy and talkative, anyway remained sober today and though I was quiet and didn't have much to say,it's nice to be home and relax and I'm not worrying about whether anyone thought I was drunk. No horrible sick guilt feeling.[/QUOTE]

I've just attended a family birthday meal out at a restaurant. Like you, my family aren't big drinkers. So out of the 7 of us the only one who had an alcoholic drink was my dad and that was 1/2 a bitter shandy! I must admit that my eyes followed a glass of white as it was carried across the restaurant and I fleetingly thought how nice it would be to have one. Then I thought that I rather like the idea of not feeling like cr*p, so I'll leave it thanks.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

vicious cycle

hello everyone,
i am truly at a point in my life where i dont know if i will ever be able to quit drinking alchohol. i will be 40 this year and i have been a pretty heavy drinker for most of my adult life. I have been trying to quit for the last 3 or 4 years but it has just been a vicious cycle of relapses for me.
I so desperately want to quit but for some reason i always talk myself back into having a drink!
i go through this routine where ill quit for a few weeks and at this point im convinced i have a handle on it and i say "well ill just have one, I can control it", and i do. ill keep it under control and drink responsibly for a brief few weeks but it always escalates and before you know it im binge drinking.
This will go on till i get THE hangover, i black out, i have a close call with the law , or some other defining moment and ill start over again.
Take for example, today. Last night my wife and i went out and had some drinks. I had way more than i should of, drove her home drunk, woke up on the couch (i went to sleep in my bed)and the refrigerator door wide open in the kitchen.
I have no recollection of going downstairs or being in the kitchen but i undoubtedly did while blacked out.
I wake up counting my lucky stars that nothing worse than some spoiled milk came of my drunken escapade. It could have cost me everything i hold dear and it scares the hell out of me .......... The cycle starts again.
I have had the most success (8 months sober) while sharing my thoughts regularly with the people just like you all on forums like this in the past.
I know the only way this can possibly work is if i do it myself, but it does make me feel better connecting with people going down the same path as me.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your milestones mariecheese and mariposa
Welcome tatersalad

If anyone's not been in a monthly group before - at the end of the month this thread moves to the Daily Support Forum - nothing else changes - the thread stays open, just in a different place.

We do this so the new Class of May 2019 thread can start.

Everyone can post where they like - some people move to the new May thread, some stay in the old April thread, some post in both.

I'll put in a redirect when I move this thread in a few days so people can find it.

D
Old 04-28-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

I'm late, but since this will go down in history, I'll check in to confirm day 1 on April 15th.
I thought about maybe May but then that wouldn't make sense. Day 14.