Notices

Class of April 2019 Support Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. 14 days sober now. Detoxing with medical assistance (drugs) until the end of the month. I try to stay busy. Go to gym every day after work to cover that critical hour of the after work drinks. Saturdays I play golf and today I spent in the garden working as hard as I can. It is a struggle, but not remotely the struggle to live with withdrawal, shaking, heart palpitations and most of all that horrible anxiety.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Congrats on 14 days Callas...and day 11 Marie
Old 04-14-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 8.
I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Just saying that a week ago at this time, I was VERY jumpy. I had my last pint of vodka last Saturday spread out over the entire day. Then Sunday was the first day completely alcohol free.

Today, I feel.. almost normal. A week of brain chemistry relaxation from the toxic effects of alcohol can help a lot. I will say that I do feel a bit foggy, but not near as dull and foggy as last weekend.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:19 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  
mba

Day One

I need to do this for my family and myself before it's too late. One day at a time.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:25 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

I’m back on day 1. It wasn’t a binge, but I obviously don’t have much of a plan. Is anyone successfully alcohol free with a spouse who is a normal drinker?
Old 04-14-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

(((Bingo))) ♥

I am sure there are a lot of people here who have a spouse who drinks 'normally'....I don't, we are both in recovery. But I have thought about it a lot, and I know it would be very hard for me.

Maybe you can have a conversation and ask your spouse to abstain for a bit....normal drinkers don't usually have a problem with this....what do you think?
Old 04-14-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

I think you are right. There is something healthy about having a drink and time together. If neither of us has a problem with alcohol. I do have a problem though.

I learned a long time ago if I make a mistake, don’t make it somebody else’s problem. Take the consequences. But I have to open up and communicate.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Welcome mba!
Old 04-14-2019, 05:45 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bingo in a sense we live in a world of drinkers so we need to get to a point where we do our own thing no matter what others do.

My partner does not drink, but many members here have partners who do - it's a challenge for sure but not an insurmountable one.

We just have to accept what we are and what that entails I think?

D
Old 04-14-2019, 05:46 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to everyone making it another sober day today - especially you guys hitting, or getting near two weeks ;c014:

Welcome mba

D
Old 04-14-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mba View Post
I need to do this for my family and myself before it's too late. One day at a time.
Welcome from me too....the interloper....

Just an SR who has benefited from class threads and I wanted to try to give back a bit of the awesome advice that I have had over the years.....pay it forward if you will.

You can do this love....you really can. You are in the right place.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:12 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bingo7 View Post
I’m back on day 1. It wasn’t a binge, but I obviously don’t have much of a plan. Is anyone successfully alcohol free with a spouse who is a normal drinker?
Mine is. He hasn't brought anything into the house in a couple weeks, but I told him he could. If he purchases anything it's usually beer, and I'd feel better him not giving up something he enjoys every now and then than him feeling like he's got to abstain at home because of me. But that's just me and, at least right now, I don't feel like I'd be all that tempted. I mean, if I really wanted alcohol, I could just as easily hop in the car and go get it. So me drinking or not drinking to me isn't impacted by whether it's in the fridge or at the local shop. But I think how much of a temptation it would be is a really personal thing.

ETA: I'm also only at the end of day 12 so take that for what it's worth too. lol
Old 04-15-2019, 01:00 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Morning ready to start day 12. Planning to take the kids down to the park play some football then I've got some easter activities planned for them.

Bingo - my husband drinks 'normally' but he drinks real craft ales that he knows I don't like and won't touch. Having said that he drinks a lot less now he's got into cycling. If I know he's going to be drinking at home I try and get myself a treat like chocolate or something I like to drink that's non alcohol. I find sparkling water helps if you're used to something carbonated, and I sometimes add a drop of fruit juice to it and slice of lemon, it's nice and helps take cravings away. Hope this helps.

Hope everyone has a sober day x
Old 04-15-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Been reading your posts and wanted to say to keep going it is all possible. These are not just words it truly is possible.
Day 158 for me today.
Removing the booze is just the tip of the iceberg. Recovery requires a lot of work, and its an emotional rollercoaster. Perseverance and commitment and really WANTING to be sober is what it needs. Recovery is my top priority. It has to come before anything else.
Learning to deal with all the emotions and feelings being sober is all new. In time you become more tolerant, calm and logical in your thinking.
Keep going guys it truly is worth it, Don't give up.
Sobriety gave me what alcohol promised!!!
Old 04-15-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

I think so much of what I consider quality time is having a drink. It’s probably only me that associates the drink with it.

It’s just going to be difficult when there is an open bottle right in front of me anytime.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:09 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Hi class
Just catching up before I go to sleep
Day 14 for me tomorrow and pressing on ODAAT
Stay strong everyone
Bingo my husband drinks on a weekend but not heavy
Night everyone
Old 04-15-2019, 04:49 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bingo7 View Post
I think so much of what I consider quality time is having a drink. It’s probably only me that associates the drink with it.

It’s just going to be difficult when there is an open bottle right in front of me anytime.
Gosh....no it's not just you love. I felt that way for years. I had no idea that it wasn't as good as l thought until I stopped drinking. ❤
Old 04-15-2019, 11:31 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Another Try

Hi class. I am here to give this another try for myself and for my family. Hurting and desperately needing something better. Hope you are all well and finding strength.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back The Light17
D