Notices

One Year & Over Part 67

Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Good morning overs,

Thanks for the comments of support yesterday the last 15 months have gone by very fast. I happen to go to a meeting yesterday noon and was hit with the reality of what alcoholism can do. My mother was a rehab counselor for twenty years + , recovered for thirty and would get mad a the disease of alcoholism. I don't think that I understood when she was telling me how she felt until yesterday. A man was telling the group how his wife went into a store bought her booze and drank herself to death in the parking lot, she never left the store. He talked about the kids and her mother, the police. It was a tough listen. Alcoholism is brutal.

I am very fortunate to have listened to my mother during our conversations over the years. The knowledge gained from her helped me in the decision to stop when I did and find the plan for recovery for me that worked for me.
Understanding something about my mother has made me think of her and miss her. She would be proud of her grandchildren especially her granddaughters, there all educated and doing well for themselves.

Sorry for the rambling, everyone have wonderful drama free day.🌞
Old 04-24-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  
Magsie

Midwest, Congratulations on your upcoming three years. .
I shied away from any talks of alcohol. I didn’t want anyone to guess my dark secret. Just a small amount knew how bad I drank, or that’s what I thought.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:08 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  
Magsie

Action, I like your avatar picture.
I’m pleased you listened to your mum and got sober, she must have been so proud of you.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:12 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

My mother passed in 03 way to early. But in my early recovery I certainly felt her presents.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:39 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi Badge, standing in the corner at a party? That is exactly the way I've been feeling at SR lately, visiting daily, just not overly involved in most of the conversations going on in my threads.
Sorry to hear about your colleague, I hope this brings her round. Maybe when the dust settles, let her know she can talk to you anytime.

Action, you mom is def proud of you

Good to see you Mid, I hope all is well with you.

Peej sounds like progress on your recovery.

Mags, I hope your face settles down again soon, you deal very stoically with your health troubles.

Sass, how is Sassy-kitty doing?

Andy I hope DS's nose is feeling better - glad it wasn't 'murder on the dancefloor'!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:28 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Action, I think your avatar needs some coffee!

Mags, which counter would you take your car to in Boots? Does customer service change your oil? Funnily my car needed two new front boots (tyres)

Lawyer appointment today to rewrite my will. Fun?

Have a good day everyone.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:33 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs,

Toots, good to see you. thought you may have a lot on with your new home. Hope you’re keeping well

Action, it’s good to know you can feel your mums presence, especially when you needed it the most.

Gonna try to get in at docs this morning. My face is still suffering (hubby says that’s how it makes him feel too! ) last time this happened I needed stronger antibiotics. Toots, I don’t feel very stoic, then again I’ve always had a good poker face, don’t show anyone my cards...except here.

Hope everyone is doing ok, have a good Thursday my friends .
Old 04-24-2019, 11:48 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Magsie

Andy, all the best at solicitors. now boots have all the counters you’ll need for your car, for the engine, for the body, for the lights and of course, you’ve found the tyres counter! Sorted!
Old 04-25-2019, 04:14 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs!

Old 04-25-2019, 04:21 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good morning Overs!

Great to see you Midwest and happy that you are nearly three years sober. I remember the start of your journey well.

First lawn mowing and weed whacking of the year here in the NE. Everything looks so nice for a day or two. Who said that a job well done never needs done again?

Enjoy the day all!
Old 04-25-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Overs

Hope everyone is keeping well.

Time is going so fast, I can’t believe May is round the corner! It’s a good month so May in the U.K. usually nice weather, not too hot, just right. (For me anyway)

Have a good day my friends
Old 04-26-2019, 03:05 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

I like May too,Mags. The first is my official soberversary. My unofficial one, when I handed back a bottle of beer!, is about two weeks before but the 1st of May is easier to remember.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:23 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Today is Day 66 post-op and that little gas bubble is STILL hanging around! More than ready to see it leave for good.

I'm also ready for old man winter to leave us alone. Looks like 3-6 inches of SNOW on the way for Saturday.

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Old 04-26-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

That must be most annoying at this point of the spring FBL. It's time for warmer weather.

Have a good day all!
Old 04-26-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Happy POETS Day, Overs
Old 04-26-2019, 05:42 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it leaves soon FBL - I'm just turning the corner on some niggling but long lasting annoying injuries myself.

D
Old 04-26-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Good morning overs,

Well I picked up the boy at school yesterday and he wanted to go fishing, he had made plans with his best buddy that we were going fishing. Now I don't know how many of you have gone fishing with a pair of eight year old boys but it's a good time. My favorite thing was the tree on the riverbank with a clear 100 yards on both sides, both of them managed to cast into the tree. Frogs, rocks and dead fish all had there attention. Not a fish caught yet the boys were talking between themselves about how much fun they had walking back to the truck.

It just doesn't get better than this!
Action
Old 04-26-2019, 11:27 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  
Magsie

FBL, hope the gas bubble soon disappears. Must be so infuriating!

Andy, you’re like the queen as in two ‘versaries’

Action, sounds like you had a good day fishing with the boys. Good to hear them enjoying nature, too much tv and internet and games take up some young ones time.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:16 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Repeat- all good info

My hand continues to heal- being very careful with it...no second chances with such surgery, not much 'give'.
A lot of art and reading, reflecting, writing- and I think I have made some headway moving forward instead of just treading water. Happily- I have started the process for returning to studying my beloved art in semester 2. Taking semester 1 off to recoup from 2 surgical procedures was always going to be about timing- there was always a change the Unit would be maxed out on trauma cases. But happily it all worked out!

Back to wintery type temperatures for Adelaide- last week it was almost 100F for those of you who still hold to the old ways. Temp down, but not a drop of rain.

Grateful today I am returning to 'normal' (whatever that is). I truly believe aside the trauma of surgery(latest count including original procedures done- total number of surgical staples and sutures used = 200+) the cacophony of drugs used in hospital for anaesthetics, keeping kidneys working (3y ago- was on dialysis because of severe trauma of burns) pain etcetcetc- it all messes with my brain..but I know to expect this now, even tho I do not enjoy it...better than the dead option.

My unit floor is cakes in dust from pastels, splashes of water colour paint, graphite, eraser shavings etc.. a clean up is in order today.
Old 04-27-2019, 01:00 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Overs

PJ, so good you’re returning to your normal self.

The wind is blowing all the blossom off the trees, looks like confetti everywhere. But it looks like the sun is trying to get out.

Have a good Saturday my friends x