Notices

Class of October 2018 Part 2

Old 10-25-2018, 08:00 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Steady goes the day! Thankful to be here and sober. Had some grumpiness today but nothing unmanageable. It's hard and can be exhausting changing the way one thinks and I feel doing that is an important part of my recovery. Need a mind shift or like a perspective change. Trying to remind myself that what I am doing right now is taking advantage of a great opportunity to change 🌸💜. Change is uncomfortable uncertain AND exciting.
​​​​​​But it is also making me tired and I have to incorporate rewards and fun for myself.today I treated myself to Japanese food and that felt great. Left the low-fat turkey sandwich in the fridge at work...I'll have it tomorrow 😎

Hope you are hanging on! Hope blessings come your way.

SeaSlug
Old 10-25-2018, 10:11 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hey guys, hope you are all well.
wood4trees, I am with cold as well. The cold was manageable but I ended up having a severe asthma attack that landed me (back) in the ER (for the 3rd time in 3 months).

All is well, I get to quit smoking (about time anyways, not that it affects or effects the onset of attacks, but perhaps the severity... I only picked back up smoking for about a month. So, here's to tackling two addictions in one month! ) I have had years of these attacks, they are usually brought on by exercise or illness. This one was the worst yet, my rescue inhaler didn't work much,
I got an AA buddy to bring me to the walk in clinic and 1 nebulizer later, I was sent to ER for IV steroids and 3 more back to back nebs. Praying that they would work so I could go home and not miss another day after a month off work! So happy when I could finally take a half decent breath.
So fun! So here I am, achey from cold virus or whatever, and vibrating like I have the drinking shakes and caffeine jitters times 10 courtesy of the nebs, totally wiped.
I am SUPER grateful for my AA family especially today, and for the fact that I am sober.
It is crazy to think I was scared to call the ambulance and go back to the ER because the last two times I was in was results of drinking or withdrawals.

I was struggling to breathe and trying not to laugh, asking the nurse if they had frequent flyer miles and I am in the middle of a long Grey's anatomy binge session and I had a nurse Reed and intern Preston, I got a great kick out of that
When I met up with one of the drs whom I had seen previously in different rough shape. I was feeling a bit better and breathing more decently. I threw my hands up and said "I'm sober this time!" lol ohh boy.
So, so grateful to be sober.
That was a scary few hours, the first 15 minutes I could only get enough air to stay conscious was so scary.
Now I get to be on regular maintenance meds for asthma, plus my rescue inhaler. Blegh, but yay breathing!

There was my slightly interesting day off today.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:53 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Justin, why did you get off the SNRI? Did you do a taper?

Day Two for me on the No Treats Halloween countdown. My sobriety from sugary treats challenge has to work, I can't keep binging on the stuff. The ick feeling I had yesterday after eating a bag of Halloween candy is gone now. I made it through a trip to the grocery store without coming home with any of my trigger foods. Success!

Be well everyone. Freedom from drink and drugs is available to everyone. It's worth it to go through these early days.
Me and my wife decided to have a baby and figured that this would be a right thing to do. I've missed having emotions too and I'm up with dealing them without drugs. Yes, I've been tapering from 60mg to 4mg for 3 months.

Hawkeye13, Thank you for your support .

Day 24. Feeling better today. Going to my third AA meeting on Monday
Old 10-26-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Justin, I hope your taper continues to go well.

Man, emotions in early sobriety are definitely right out front, I remember that. I think I cried for two weeks. But I do remember being on medications years ago and feeling like I was tamped down or suppressed. It's a good feeling to get off them.

Okay, day...3 (?) I think on the, "not bringing home any sugary treats." I'm going to keep posting about this for a while at least, it keeps it in the front of my mind instead of me running on auto-pilot in the store and just mindlessly grabbing things off the shelf. I had to be mindful in early sobriety in the same way and not just do the same-old-same-old routines. I had to change things up and create new patterns.

Today I have to get some serious exercise. I kind of skipped it yesterday and then had to go to a stressful meeting and I could tell I was wound up tighter than I needed to be. Cat on a hot tin roof.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:52 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Day 10

yeah, double digits! Not much time to write but quick check in. Off to work to try and finish up another very busy week...hope to breathe a bit in the weekend!
Old 10-26-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Get well soon Wood4trees and Delizadee.

I think, so far, that the best thing about not drinking is sleeping better. Also of course feeling better BUT time goes so slowly and I miss being able to press pause on life ...

Anyway today we have lovely Autumn sunshine which would be a shame to miss.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hope everybody is doing well. I have had kind of a bummy week, but I am pulling through.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi
I would like to join in. Day 2 for me.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Right now, right here

Will try to read up later, all is well 19th day under my belt and headed for a sober weekend
Old 10-26-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Oct 26 Day 26
Also hoping and praying for another sober weekend
Could be challenging but I feel up to the challenge at present.
Big family dinner out at a fancy restaurant Saturday night and
attending an NFL Professional Football game on Sunday
Both huge weekend binge triggers in the past but this time feels different in a good way.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

10th oct 2018

Hi All,
i would like to join this group, please..i have been sober since the 10th... after 20 years of drinking. I quit drinking before (sometimes for as long as a year but that was 8 years ago).
its been a hard few weeks. On 13th i felt like i was struggling to stay concious and had another bad couple of days on the 23rd and 24th. Ive been lucky enough to have my husband stay right beside (literally in the same room) me this whole time and my mum help with the kids... i really couldnt have come this far without them. Ive never felt this bad previously but i think it has more to do with the fact i have abused my body/mind for a really long time and I knew this because i would have pimples on my face that i would have for months. I guess my body was always recovering from a hangover, it could even repair anything else.
well thats a little about me. I look forward to sharing our journey together....thanks
Old 10-26-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Alice and WhiteLight

D
Old 10-26-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Rocker chick right here!!!

Had some drinking thoughts after work, but somehow I swatted at the AV like an annoying gnat flying around. Now another weekend to get through....Thanks fellow "Rocktober" rockstars!
Now you're talking! My buddy Outonthetiles on here says that those who kick the drink are the true rock stars which I love. I can't sing or play an instrument, but I want to be a sober rock star

Let's keep making the right choices each day, have a great weekend everybody!
Old 10-26-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Welcome new friends

Day 20 for me.
Glad to see so many of us doing well and staying sober.

Night all!
Old 10-26-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats hawkeye

D
Old 10-26-2018, 05:52 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey all,

I started listening to the "This Naked Mind" podcasts yesterday. Whether you agree with her philosophy about how to deal with alcohol or not, she's got some really interesting brain/body/chemical science stuff that helps me understand some of the weird mood swings, etc.

Fishy
Old 10-26-2018, 09:53 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
I think, so far, that the best thing about not drinking is sleeping better.
I presume the waking up is better too? It's a blissful feeling... great way to start the day.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:16 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TeeJayVerm View Post
I presume the waking up is better too? It's a blissful feeling... great way to start the day.
Yes. When I used to binge drink my hangovers were absolutely horrendous. However as my drinking progressed and I became a daily drinker the hangovers almost disappeared and I just felt groggy in the mornings-probably because I was always topping up, maintenance drinking.

That said it's nice not to have suitcases under my eyes!
Old 10-27-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good to see so many of us Rocking October, a few people from earlier in the month have not updated lately. Check in if you haven't for a while.

Welcome Whitelight and Alice. Good work to the rest of the team for more Sober October days.

Delizadee, that's not sounding good, sounds like you definitely need to quit the cigarettes. I quit a few years back was hard at first but my breathing is so much better as a result. Very occasionally I smell smoke from someone else smoking and think hmm that smells good but there is no way I'd ever have 1 again. They are poison like the alcohol. Hope you start to feel better soon.

Pretty chilly today here in the UK so today I have decided to stay in bed, watch TV and nurse my cold. I watched a movie on Netflix earlier called Smashed, is about an Alcoholic teacher and her challenges with recovery was a good watch. Anyone got any alcoholic/recovery recommendations for me to take a look at whilst I enjoy doing very little all day!
Old 10-27-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Beginning day four of not bringing home any trigger foods.

Congrats to all who made it past Friday night without a drink.

Keep it going. They don't call it Spirits for nothing. Not the good kind of friendly ghost, but alcoholic spirits are scary and want to kill us. I'll never wake up with the 3AM terrors ever again.

I have a fun day planned in the big city, it's Dia de Muertos celebrations. I will take a bus down and enjoy the festive atmosphere, and I'll remember my dead. Food and crafts, cultural dancing and music. I'm not dressing up and I won't be drinking!