Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 5

Old 09-25-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on becoming an uncle Mike

David - definitely its what you focus on. I obsessed for a long time about drinking and that didn't stop the moment I took my last drink. But I grew and I changed.

I haven't had the best record for effective communication in this thread the last few days

I wasn't suggesting that there's not a huge focus on alcohol or that it's not glorified or that there';s no societal pressure to drink...

I was trying to convey that those pressures and focal points don't apply to me anymore, and I expect the same will happen for you guys too, in time .

And, DS I'm sorry you're upset.

Sometimes these monthly groups can get dramatic - and I don't mean that in a condescending or dismissive way - early recovery really is a volatile time, emotionally and sometimes these groups reflect that.

Most groups work it out themselves, and keep moving forward

D
Old 09-25-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I think you are doing fine as we stumble around with each other.

Y'all, I want to suggest that the only people who have really left are the ones that started drinking and are still drinking . . . . if you pray, pray hard for these folks as that is a sucky place to be. Alice and Ben haven't left they are just in the next room, called September.

Mike, not sure why I thought you were in the Northwest . . . I'm just getting dingy as I get older. I so so hope that you will get to bond a bit with this little girl. I love love being an Auntie. Actually it has a huge influence on wanting to stop drinking. I want to be as present as possible to the kids in my life. Also be it noted that I so hope you don't overstep your bounds with your sister-in-law like I did - ugh. We have improved but I was a bit too wild about her children.

As far as the Augustonian Group goes, I'm in for the long run. And I still think we should all meet in St. Augustine Florida in 20 years.

So I'm brining int the torch for the final leg of Tuesday.

Peace to you all in whatever corner of our wounded world you happen to be.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Ayers - I don't think you talk too much, it's great to get thoughts, feelings, reflections down. If I don't have time to read your wonderful long posts then a skim read. I think I would've loved to go to that class/lecture.

David - I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Very reflective as you say you are. I might take a leaf out of your book and do some inner reflection, something Ive done a lot of in the past but lately don't have the head space to do so..

JT - I so hope yesterday was your last day one. You have made a huge change by coming back to day 1 so quickly, I was scared we had lost you down the rabbit hole. I also think it's fair that you can voice being 'upset' or thrown off by someone leaving. This group has become quite tight, we have shared a lot together and I feel there is a sense of loss if someone decides to leave, don't get me wrong people can come and go how they want but I do feel it's OK to voice that feeling as long as we aren't being abusive or making the other feel bad.

My lunch break is over so I have to go..
Have a lovely Wednesday guys..
Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Ps. It was a full moon last night guys which may account for all the feelings..
Old 09-25-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Thank you guys.

Bekind I met my niece today and was holding her and man is she tiny! But I was also thinking about how I will be a figure in this girl’s life as she grows, and I want to be the type of figure that has a postive influence on her. And the only way to be the best influence possible is to do it sober. So it absolutely is motivation. And don’t worry, I’m not into kids enough to overstep my boundaries!
Old 09-25-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Uncle Mike, haha, that does have a ring to it, doesn’t it? Welcome to the world of aunts and uncles. It’s so much fun spoiling nieces and nephews, I know I had my fair share of that, 12 for me, and most of them have children of their own now.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but for me, having classmates jump to another class is depressing, we’ve poured out our hearts and souls here, and it creates almost an intimate bond. But, I do understand if joining another class strengthens their resolve to stay sober since they will be identifying more with people going through the same stages of sobriety. I do wish them well, but they will always be more than memories here.

With that, I have to apologize for not being more active in posting, my current ongoing medical issue has been consuming all of my thoughts and energy; and the saga continues. Still, no resolution, and I’ve been told today that the MRI request is still under review.

I will continue to rally each and every one on, as you accumulate days and amazing progress in sobriety. Myself? I’m so depressed over how this medical crisis is being handled that I am at a loss of words.

This is an exceptional group, very intellectual and compassionate. Regardless of losing members of the Augustonians, embrace the comradery and continue on your journeys and supporting one another.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:42 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for what happened last night red but I'm glad you're dealing with it sober - congrats on day 34/5
Old 09-25-2018, 07:15 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry for what happened last night red but I'm glad you're dealing with it sober - congrats on day 34/5
Thanks Dee, much better sober.. Would've been a lot worse if I was drinking, harder to self regulate emotions..
Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Hello Augustonians! Tomorrow will mark my 40th Day sober and I am surprisingly excited to be reaching that milestone.

Glad you came back and are through your last ever Day 1 Tony!

Congrats on becoming an uncle Mike! About 7 months ago I become an aunt for this first time and love it.

I am so sorry for what you are going through Red. No one deserves to be treated that way especially on the eve of your 5th Anniversary together!

As for people leaving, it is always sad but it isn't a reflection on this group. It is just them trying to do what is best for their recovery right now. It can be quite hard being part of a group where everybody else is much farther along than you are, this is something I have experienced in the past. I really love the analogy of them just being in the next room. Makes me feel like they aren't really gone at all!

My life can only be described as hectic right now. My husband and I have a weekend away planned with my brother in law, his partner and my nephew this coming long weekend. I have a plan but am still a bit apprehensive. Thankfully since my nephew was born they have toned down their drinking a great deal and I do think that will make it easier for me to be sober during the trip. But even if everyone except me and my nephew get plastered that's ok. Not drinking is my choice, drinking is theirs and I can only control what I do.

At work I am running experiments everyday now that my lecturing duties are finished for the semester. Research has always been a bit of a trigger for me because it can be so rewarding when it goes well but so soul crushing when it goes poorly. I'm trying to establish a more healthy attitude towards my research and not allow it to become all-consuming as it has in the past.

Later this afternoon my husband and I are going to a mortgage broker to find out what kind of a home loan we can get. We are hoping to buy our first house early next year since we have really taken to our new city and plan to stay long term. It's exciting but also stressful! That's a lot of money and the 'what ifs' are a bit scary. At least I'm not drinking our savings away these days.

Anyways back into the lab for me! Stay strong and remember that it is ok to feel/express whatever you are feeling. That's what this group is here for.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:05 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Good morning , Augustonians : Wednesday morning : Day 34

I still wanted to respond to posts from people from Sunday , but so much happens here daily , it becomes difficult to. But I love the fact that out Class is so active. It is so alive !

Finding it touching that Ben and Alice’s leaving has caused so many reactions. That to me proves what our class is made of . I think we have a very deep connection to one another , we are not only virtual friends/classmates. At least that’s the way I feel about you all . Darkling made a comment a few posts back …. Wait , I am going to search for it … that sums up what I want to say, best.
“The kind of support and sense of connection that I have felt with each of you cannot be replicated.”
Sorry that you are having a hard time, Darkling, and that you feel unsettled. Please know that most of us are going nowhere – you can be assured of our ongoing support/connection. I feel the same way as you- I have invested so much time and shared so many personal things about myself – and feel so safe here . Upsetting when your lifeline ( as SR is to me) becomes fallible .

Suze , good luck with your trip. I know you’ve got this. A free drink … pffftt , you’re not going to fall for that one – way to clever/sassy/intelligent of a lady . Amazing how we all were worried about your business trip a week/few weeks ago. Like when your child starts driving on their own ( like mine) and how you somehow, miraculously (and thank goodness for that) start relaxing a teeny bit , because you know “they’ve got it” . And no amount of pacing and worrying is going to keep them any safer.(Says I who did exactly that yesterday when my son was returning from his visit to his sister – 3,5 hr drive) I have trust in you that you are going to be fine.

JT- you sounded positive yesterday , but I’m worried that you haven’t posted yet this morning. ( I hope the reason is that we are cross-posting and not that I offended yesterday ? )
What’s up ? How are you?

David, so glad that you are having longer conversations with us . Enjoying your deep and introspective posts. And making it to 7 weeks !! That is fantastic !
Something you said really resonates with me :
“It is as important in life to let go as it is to hold on”
“…comes a time, when we have made peace with who we were and need to move to who we are going to be. This peace comes from exploring who we were and seeing that old version of ourselves as someone that no longer serves our best interests.”
Thank you. This is helping me . Came at the right time.
We seem to be on the same spot now – realising that we need to work on ourselves on an emotional and spiritual level

Regarding the ad’s etc for alcohol , and people drinking in TV shows – yes, I have also noticed it more and more. But read THIS NAKED MIND – she explains it so well , how we have been desensitised against alcohol ,and how it has slipped into our unconscious over years by being glamourised . TimeTo and Suze , I know you have also read the book.

Red- I truly feel upset for you about the verbal abuse you had to suffer. It is something I find very difficult to accept – because it cuts so deep , and leaves such horrible scars . please know that you are loved and cherished here. And congrats , my friend , we are both hanging in /on – 34 days today !! We’ll continue our long walk together.

Quit – well done , 30 days ! I found that it was an important number for me – don’t know why – maybe because we can now start counting months instead of days.

Mike – Loved how Dee called you Michael a few posts ago. Think Uncle Michael sounds more
Uncle’ish . Enjoy that little pink-foot – and remember, uncles are there to spoil them rotten. Oh, and I love watching The Good Doctor – hope it means the new series will be here soon .Yaaayyy!

Hills – good luck with your hectic week/weekend and seeing the bank about the mortgage – hope all works out the way you want it to.

Odaat– think I speak for all here if I say we are all holding our breath for news about your MRI. I really, really hope it get’s sorted soon. And I salute you for staying so calm and together while waiting . You are in my thoughts.

Zoey – I felt humbled when you asked if I knew how much I have helped you. Wow! Thank you for saying so . Hope your work presentation went well – or is it today ? Good luck, girl !

Bob – you are rocking ! 42 days today ? Hope your gout has eased up and you are enjoying pain-free days?

Kit- how are you doing? You said
“I'm just so worried I'm actually loosing faith and belief in me being able to do this “
You know who that is talking , don’t you? Don’t loose faith in yourself . Of course you can do it. I don’t want to pry – but your friend was coming to visit you at some stage close to when you slipped. Is there a connection between her visit and your slipping ? Just asking,because I care.

Dee – don’t think you need to apologise. I have never experienced you as coming across as uncaring or thoughtless. To the contrary. Being a moderator cannot be easy , you gotta do what you gotta do . I appreciate the work you are doing and looking out for all of us. Thank you.

Barbs – how old are your puppies now? I always wish they can stay puppies forever – so cute- however, there are some reasons to will them to grow up as well – potty training, chewing, barking ??? I want another puppy ☹ ( my husband will leave me if I do &#128522 I am so happy that my posts can make you smile, Barbs , thank you.

Bekind : I agree with you about them being in the other room . Comforting thought , thanks.

I am still harping on about Karen. I really really miss her and cannot lie , I am worried about her and cannot stop thinking about her. I so wish there was a way to find out if she is okay. If I wasn’t a continent away, I would go and look for her – although it’s probably not part of SR’s policy to do that. Please, if anyone has any news about her, please share .

Oops – just saw how long this post is (again) . Problem is – I still have so much to say …

Maybe later .

Tony – please let us know how you are .

Stay strong today my fellow hikers , let’s walk our walk , swim our laps, do our thing !!!
ONWARDS !!!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:20 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Hills - congrats on 40 days and 40 nights !!
Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Tony - where the heck ARE you. Come on , I'm worried .
Old 09-26-2018, 03:12 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Ayres, what a wonderful, long, thoughtful post to everyone. It's a nice way to start this Wednesday!

We seem to be doing a little better this morning. Even those of us with struggles seem to be handling them (Odaat, you are in my thoughts!).

Day 30 here. I never ever thought I'd make it to 30 days. I've been following all of you with double-digit days and thinking I'll never make it to where you are, but I'm still coming along behind you. It's not always easy -- in fact last night was an AV terror -- but somehow I'm plodding along sober. And loving it.

Big huge work day today (which helped inspire me to ignore AV last night), and I'm sober, sharp and prepared! Wish me luck.

Happy Wednesday, Augustonians. I couldn't do it without you!
Old 09-26-2018, 03:13 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I have been without internet for several weeks. I don't know if I will still have it later, but I've changed my password so I should be able to log on with my phone. It's been terrible. I've missed having his site so much. I drank again though. So sorry to tell you all that. I'm very disappointed in me. I am going to have to find a way to make sobriety stick. I felt I was doing pretty good, but there was a moment when my defenses were down and it just took that one little drink and I'm back on the merry go round. Today will be my thousandth day one.
I have missed you all so much. I'm going to read up on all your posts and see how you've been doing.
Big hugs to all!
Old 09-26-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Wow, I started reading and the first thing I saw way Ayer's post about missing me. I am so touched, you have no idea how much that means to me. I have been trying so hard to get on here on my phone and to no avail. I forgot my password and couldn't make it work. So sorry I worried you all! I haven't been doing very well, but plan to change all that starting today. I hope you are doing great. Thank you so much for caring!
Old 09-26-2018, 03:53 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post

David - I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. Very reflective as you say you are. I might take a leaf out of your book and do some inner reflection, something Ive done a lot of in the past but lately don't have the head space to do so.
Hi Red,

The start point is self awareness. Start to notice how you think about things, what your opinions are, what you like and don’t like. When you indentify something just ask yourself, “why do I think that way? Where did I learn to think like that?”

Pick something small. Like your favourite colour. Think back to all the past references to that colour to find where it came from.

For me, my favourite colour is navy blue. When I first did this exercise it took me straight back to sitting as my grandfathers feet as he read to my brother and I. I remember the legs of his navy blue trousers. That is why I like the colour.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on becoming an uncle Mike

David - definitely its what you focus on. I obsessed for a long time about drinking and that didn't stop the moment I took my last drink. But I grew and I changed.

I haven't had the best record for effective communication in this thread the last few days

I wasn't suggesting that there's not a huge focus on alcohol or that it's not glorified or that there';s no societal pressure to drink...

I was trying to convey that those pressures and focal points don't apply to me anymore, and I expect the same will happen for you guys too, in time .

And, DS I'm sorry you're upset.

Sometimes these monthly groups can get dramatic - and I don't mean that in a condescending or dismissive way - early recovery really is a volatile time, emotionally and sometimes these groups reflect that.

Most groups work it out themselves, and keep moving forward

D
Hi Dee,

A thank you again for your support of this group. I take comfort from knowing you are about even if you don’t post.

To pick up on your point about the groups becoming volatile and emotionally charged. Great teams don’t always get along. What makes them a great team is being able to get through it and move on in a positive way. We are a great team!
Old 09-26-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
Thank you guys.

Bekind I met my niece today and was holding her and man is she tiny! But I was also thinking about how I will be a figure in this girl’s life as she grows, and I want to be the type of figure that has a postive influence on her. And the only way to be the best influence possible is to do it sober. So it absolutely is motivation. And don’t worry, I’m not into kids enough to overstep my boundaries!
She truly is a gift in your sobriety. The universe provides!
Old 09-26-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Wow, I started reading and the first thing I saw way Ayer's post about missing me. I am so touched, you have no idea how much that means to me. I have been trying so hard to get on here on my phone and to no avail. I forgot my password and couldn't make it work. So sorry I worried you all! I haven't been doing very well, but plan to change all that starting today. I hope you are doing great. Thank you so much for caring!
Sober369 is your name Karen? I have been trying to figure out who this Karen is that a number of people have been calling out too.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Hey all!

I was going to post after deciding to move to the September group. Then I read a few of the posts on here and thought maybe I'd better not considering all of the feelings that seem to have gotten stirred up.

Unsupportive? A bad teammate? Flawed moral template? Gee wiz, guys. I just want to work on my sobriety in the way that I think is best for me. And when Dee mentioned reasons for moving, it seemed like a good idea. I did slip in early September, so I'm just keeping things honest.

I'm still around, still read in here and will continue to do so if I'm allowed. I want to keep up with all of your progress -- especially worried about ODAAT and hoping your frustrating, scary situation resolves in a positive way soon!

Be well all!