Notices

Artists in Recovery Part 2

Old 07-22-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

I'm the same way - it took me a long time to learn how to just play around with paint. It's just one of those things we lose as we grow up, I guess. Bob Burridge is fortunate enough to be like an 8 year old on espresso.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lascaux View Post
I'm the same way - it took me a long time to learn how to just play around with paint. It's just one of those things we lose as we grow up, I guess. Bob Burridge is fortunate enough to be like an 8 year old on espresso.
That made me actually lol!

But so true, I was at my mum's a while ago and she and I went through some of the paintings and drawings I did as a child. Just as much detail (I was always obsessed with detail) but also I remember that I was perfectly able to just start drawing and then adding things and a whole story to a drawing while I went on. It was like discovering what that piece of paper had inside of it. I totally lost that though. Maybe it can come back?
Old 07-23-2018, 01:18 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

STUDY SLOW
The 'your are a failure, you will always be a failure- best stop' feelings were a battle
So HALTS
Attack study until feelings some back
rinse repeat
I MADE PROGRESS...
With CBT- and remembering 3 components to me: Thoughts, feelings, actions
Thinking OK
Actions fine
So need to work on the feelings/emotions
Old 07-23-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I did it, I started on something! I only had about 2 hours cause I didn't start until 10pm but I hope I will continue tomorrow. As soon as I had the general outlining and base colours ready I immediately switched to the finest brush I own I can't help myself, I simply love details. I obsess about them and totally get lost in them.

The slightly abstract flowers have to wait for another day.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Congrats! Sitting down and starting something is the hardest part. Remember what you want to work on tomorrow so you can jump right back into it.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Thanks Lascaux! I'm pretty pleased with myself for doing something at least. Getting right back into it will be the second challenge. At the moment I like what I have done so far so I will feel very anxious about ******* it up when I pick up the brush again.... Sometimes I just can't with myself haha. Always so scared of everything, jeez.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

That's awesome! And you are inspiring me to get started again too. I've had a hard time lately. My broken drafting table gave me a good excuse, now I have a wobbly card table but I think it'll work
Old 07-24-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Wow! - go people x
Old 07-24-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

I just went faaaar off into detail craze and ordered a set of ultra thin paint brushes. Sizes 0 - 00000. This makes me very excited, it's like I have butterflies in my stomach
Old 07-24-2018, 11:53 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Oh lordy, I couldn't even see a brush that size. Do they have more than one hair apiece? Lol, I used to do the same thing with technical pens, they come in some absolutely insanely tiny nib sizes! (One of the best parts of any art habit is buying the stuff!).
Old 07-24-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

That I will be able to answer tomorrow night, they come via evening express! What a help online deliveries have been with my broken leg. I have really fine pens too for technical drawing. Actually that used to be my mum's job and my dad's an architect. Maybe that's where I got it from. As a child I was obsessed about anything tiny and would build all these tiny miniature worlds out of plasticine.
(I hate admitting it but you're so right about that, it is one of the best parts!!)
Old 07-27-2018, 08:13 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Ok! I'm gonna do this. Going to eat breakfast and just make a mark in my sketchbook. Gotta get moving again
Old 07-27-2018, 08:34 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Me too, Plenny! I have this cool t-shirt of a caricature that I want to draw, so I have it out as a reminder....it keeps staring at me!
Old 07-29-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Good stuff guys I have a portrait that has been requested by a friend of herself and her partner, (he tragically passed away - from addiction), so I'm giving it a long coat of looking at because I want to do it justice but still make it "him" - if you get what I mean. Hope you're all well m'loves x x
Old 07-29-2018, 09:02 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Yixi, that sounds like a tough thing to do. The emotional part in it I mean. How sweet of you to do that for your friend
Old 08-01-2018, 03:45 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Yixi that is awesome. There's so much magic in a portrait of a deceased loved one. Can't wait to hear all about it

Felt so cruddy today after a huge stupid morning fight with DJTM. almost wasted the whole day butinstead I went for a jog to get some endorphins and feel calmer, then I nearly finished a small drawing for a friend's zine that he's putting out. It was low on my priority list but I think that's what helped me start working again, I wasn't afraid of it.

I have learned to stop at a certain point and sleep before finishing a piece. I think I've made better final decisions with fresh eyes
Old 08-01-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

What a nice idea to go for a run Plenny! And to work on something nice. I'm glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. I can walk a few steps per day without the crutches again, feels so good!

There's no way I could finish my drawings or paintings in one session. I literally take forever, I'm still working on that owl.

Will you show us what you worked on once it's finished?
Old 08-03-2018, 07:31 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Going to try to put 2 hours in at the desk today. I have a list of things to work on, and I'm going to try, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't. Because I have a lot on my plate emotionally today.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

I saw this on IG...."PiccadillyOfficial" and this is their 14 day drawing challenge:

1. Summer
2. Monster
3. Wild Animal
4. Cartoon Character
5. Superhero
6. Flower
7. Beach
8. Something Broken
9. Cat
10. Favorite Book
11. Donuts
12. Ice Cream Cone
13. Someone's Face
14. Music

A drawing-a-day exercise....They said "technically you can start 1 on any day. Just be ready to draw 14 consecutive days"

I'm only on the third day and I won't be sharing mine, because they are crap tbh...but it'll get my mind and pencil moving....
Old 08-03-2018, 03:11 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Oh that sounds like such a cool idea Purps! I just know myself too well that I couldn't stick to it

My perfectionism and love for detail would kick in and I would take 14 days to finish the first one alone. Maybe, maybe if I feel really brave and adventurous one day, I will give it a try. I am definitely tempted! Do you have to stick to drawings or can you make it watercolours? I wish I was quicker at drawing....