Notices

Artists in Recovery Part 2

Old 08-28-2018, 02:39 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Y’all are so talented

Hi soberista, just worked a bunch of shifts through the weekend and so I’m back to planning my creative time for the week. My days off and the time between weekday shifts are for creating. Trying to keep moving. What are you working on?
Its a long story! We sold everything in Feb 2017..the business, the cars, the house, the contents of the house. Everything! We bought a renovation property with an old chicken shed in the garden and from Feb 17 till March 18 we have been renovating (living in a motorhome) and building my new studio. Hence the sobriety. I carried on quaffing wine until I woke up on January 4th and said WTF have you done all this for - a new stress free life - if youre not going to ditch the booze. SO here I am.

Ive been focused on textile design as thats how i intend to make my living. Had a good result last week as I have chosen 2 designs in 3 colourways to be digitally printed onto linen so that I can get someone to make cushions, oven gloves, aprons etc to take to a trade show and hopefully sell in bulk. I got the samples back from the printer and I love them. In the meantime I ave been working on something more personal. In another thread we were discussing the hollow feeling inside. I have noticed since being sober that every now and again something comes over that I cant put into words that is like a hollow feeling. Another poster put this quote up....

“The danger is not that the soul should doubt whether there is any bread, but that, by a lie, it should persuade itself that it is not hungry.

So i took to the canvas yesterday. Its a big one...maybe 1.5metres square and I found my style in oils and painted the hollow. Had a great day and really pleased it was all from a sober place.

For me creativity is the constant. Its always been there. Its never let me down. I can let everything out and now my life is such that I can focus everything onto it. I feel enormously privileged (and a bit scared as I gotta earn some cash!)
Old 08-28-2018, 03:19 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Purps

Yixi, that painting looks lovely in you'r friends kitchen (or dining room?) and it's HUGE! How long did that take you?

Soberista, when your stuff is ready to sell, I'd love to support! I am in the market for some nice new oven gloves and are looking for something "special" and more unique. I'm just renovating my kitchen and feel like it deserves some nice new textiles!

The plan for tonight was to paint but I am just too tired. I might be able to squeeze in some tomorrow!
Old 08-31-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Hi Kev - thanks It's between the living room and the kitchen and took about 3 weeks to do. I can't see the tapestry on the thread - have I missed it?

Looking forward to seeing those new textile designs too Soberista

Love to all x
Old 08-31-2018, 09:03 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Soberista, I love the hollow painting

Spent the entire day researching new methods and went into a rabbit hole, the day got away from me
Old 10-12-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, artists.

I am finally back on creative path.

Just popped in to say Hi.

How's everyone doing?
Old 10-21-2018, 01:44 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, artists.

I started writing again, and it feels great.

Please, help me to feed this habit!
Old 10-21-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

I need to get back into writing as well.....I've journaled and purged a bunch of stuff but haven't started the process of piecing anything together.

Yesterday I (finally) finished a project: a jumbo cross-stich done with yarn and pegboard. It was fun! I'll post a pic if I can.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:58 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Purple!

Piecing together is the hardest part, I believe.

That's why I need to get back to daily routine of finishing a coherent piece of writing, doesn't matter how small it will be.

One piece at a time.

So, I am going to make myself a cup of tea and get straight to business.

See you)
Old 02-20-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Hello friends ~ I saw this online and thought I'd share....the band Shinedown is holding an art contest

https://app.creativeallies.com/conte...ive-emblem-for
Old 05-06-2019, 02:19 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

How's it going everyone? Just thought I would share this charity auction coming up....I've made a couple of items (not including the one below) but it helps get the creativity going.....plus it's for an awesome cause! Let me know if you'd like the link for more info....

"Bidding for Change – Auction Supporting Harley’s Dream
We are NOW ACCEPTING ITEM DONATIONS for our upcoming auction. It will take place (online) in late June, so there is plenty of time to mail items to us. This auction has a very special focus and all items donated must directly relate to Harley and/or Teddy, rescue dogs, adopt don’t shop or the effort to end puppy mills. A few suggestions include: artwork, jewelry, blankets, etc. The ideas are endless!

All proceeds from the auction will support Harley’s Dream to spread awareness about and bring an end to puppy mills."

Old 08-05-2019, 11:19 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Hello artists! I woke up struggling this morning, and I thought I'd share this journal entry, I think it is a concept lots of artists wrestle with... I've started dog-earing certain pages of my journal thinking that maybe I could rework them and edit them into a short book of poems...

"I feel disconnected from identity, I feel scared and unqualified for life. I feel like I'm going to be poor forever. I spent a whole lifetime running and surviving, and I tried to layer an education on top of that but I failed. And everyone kept dying and fighting and I kept getting divorced, kept getting in debt, and I kept breaking down. So what am I supposed to do. How am I supposed to feel valid. Am I even human?
But would I judge someone else this much? Probably not. I'd probably find other things they had that I don't. Like a savings account. Or a mother.
Is it not enough to just exist here day to day, enjoying and loving and creating? Why is it not enough? Why is it that someone like me will probably never save a dollar?
People in my family would say that it's because of the choices I've made. But what constitutes a worthy life? Owning a house? I could do that. Eventually, over time. What am I contributing? I'm a part of the world and a part of the culture. I serve you meals and libations. I comfort you. I paint my inner thoughts into marvellous images. I make love and bleed.
Is this a life wasted?"
Old 08-05-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

I have also started to learn to crochet. I'm finding it very comforting.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:39 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Just trying out some editing and stanzas. This doesn’t have to become Plennys poetry practice thread or anything lol

But since I got a tip from a good friend who happens to be a poet, I thought I’d edit my entry and it seemed appropriate here.

Am I human?
Would I judge you?
I’d find other things to covet
Like a savings account
Or a mother

Is it enough to exist day to day?
I will never save a dollar

The habit of survival prolonged my validity
Apologies

What makes me worthy?
I could own a house
Give me time

A real job?
I contribute
I serve you
I return home and paint marvellous images
I make love and bleed
Old 08-05-2019, 11:52 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's worth pursuing too Plenny

D
Old 08-06-2019, 01:09 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Very cool Plenny

I've been curious how poetry and songs get written/composed.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:16 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Well, here I am- drifted back. After taking a semester off for 2 surgical procedures to release contractures with grafting, I am back at my studies- Life Drawing at present. This is challenging because the burns I got nearly 4y ago now- have damaged my little brain-so measuring perspective is very difficult. No matter. I have an exhibition of my creative stuff (to work through all the stuff in my head post burns) at the hospital next month. This hospital sees thousands walk past where my stuff will be, so should be interesting. Also my hand has enough function now- I purchased a cello and an electric piano, which I studied for many years, many years ago.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Hello my beautiful inspired creative friends! I'm back on track and have made the decision (again) to quit drinking alcohol. As a highly creative person, I thought drinking and using drugs made me more creative, energetic and interesting. THAT WAS A LIE. Any work I produced while under the influence was far below my true capabilities and the delusions that ran through my mind were down right embarrassing. I'm just here to say hello, give a warm hug to sober creatives and reach out to assist myself on my journey once again to live sober. Much love friendos!
Old 08-10-2019, 05:17 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

A good choice, JJ.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Been doing some rock painting ~ fun and therapeutic!
Old 09-29-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Just saw this on Instagram: So excited for our friend Snufkin ~ She designed the artwork for a new book "Haunted Voices" by Haunt Publishing! Congrats Snuf!