Notices

Class of April 2018 Part One

Old 04-02-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome gymratgirl and Sath and Clearpath and Erratic and SoberRobster and ChickChick and Strawberry and Gem and Nichole and Max74 and orderfororder and SeekingNewMe and argillaceous and Red and QuitNow

I hope I got every one

D
Old 04-02-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Been gone awhile but back for day one. It snowed this morning in Pittsburgh, so I hope you all are in much better weather!!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi Nicole, Clearpath and everyone. Hours of insomnia made me realize I have not been completely honest in previous attempts or in my life. I used to be, so what happened? I know honestly is key so that is the focus of my day. To no more day 1s!
Old 04-02-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

evening all, hope u are all doing ok?

I actually stayed up all afternoon instead of going to bed. Been mainly on here and reading alot of what people are posting. So now i have had a bath to see if that relaxes me and i guess it be bed time for me soon. yup its not even 6pm lol but hey ho maybe i will read for while and then go to sleep and then wake up to another day.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:01 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

8pm here in Greece . I'm putting the kids to bed and putting myself to bed . Looking forward to no hangover tomorrow ! Day one finished!
Old 04-02-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Welcome everyone that’s new!!!!

I’ve been told a lot about a moment that clicks and I finally had one!!!!! I was setting and thinking about everything life kids marriage addiction medication list goes on!!!! I have a doctors appointment Thursday and was thinking since January I’ve been on I think 7 different medications either they don’t work or a allergic reaction to them and realize I’m just setting taking the medication not trying to change I need to make positive change in attitude lifestyle diet.... medication is just a boost it takes me to work it kind of like my addiction I can’t say I’m done and just setback and except to quit without working on the issues !!! I could have made it through the night last night but I got to obsess with withdrawals cravings and drinking instead of working through the problem and consequences for my actions.....I’m ready to take on tonight I’m going to straight up throat punch my AV

Great job strawberry
Old 04-02-2018, 11:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I had over a week sober, and now...Day -1. I'm drinking right now, tbh. I'm drinking in order to finish some work, which is laughably alcoholic behavior, no doubt about that.

I'm posting to (1) say hi to April, which I intend to be a part of and (2) because even though I'm drinking I had a realization today about why I drink. I'm sure it's very obvious to others, but here it is just in case it resonates with anyone else:

I reach for a drink when I feel like I'm losing confidence and self-esteem. Typically, I'm going along fine and then something small goes wrong: a miscommunication with a colleague, a fight with my husband, a student freaking out, a flat tire, etc. I have a rough night of sleep, I regret something I said, I miss a workout or two. Then maybe a few more things go wrong, or the minor situation becomes a bit worse. Or maybe nothing goes wrong. Maybe I just feel out of my element, asked to do or be something I'm worried I can't: give a talk, take on a responsibility I'm worried I'm not capable of taking on. For whatever reason, the negative self talk builds and builds, until I finally give in and take a drink. Why? Because taking a drink feels like hitting reset. A drink puts a stop to the anxious thoughts. It tells me that none of the things in my personal and professional life are serious. It quiets my brain, and stills my body. Living this way, always building towards a crisis, then hitting reset, has worked for a while. But it isn't working anymore. The drink tells the truth when it tells me to relax and to not sweat the small stuff. But it lies when it tells me I don't have serious problems. It's the drinking itself which has become the serious problem.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Howdy professorD

I’d say stop drinking now and still finish the work easier said then done but its possible!!!!
I drink to chill out and all those reasons too but in reality later on the day or the next I’m drinking to chill out again so In reality it really doesn’t help there has to be a better way in life to deal with things!!!!
I’m learning not to sweat the small stuff in life because unfortunately life will always be filled with them and life itself is amazing and we take it for granted.... when drinking we miss so much life has to offer unfortunately I have anxiety and I’m bipolar so sometimes I flip out over something so small but it doesn’t have to be that way unless we let it!!!! Sometimes we have to laugh at the little things to tackle the big things like addiction!!!! I’m glad your here and still fighting but I say let’s kick the habit for good!!!! I’m here if you ever need to talk which that goes for everyone!!!! But hopefully your day gets better
Old 04-02-2018, 11:58 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 2 after rough relapse

I know I need to quit drinking. I’m 24 with a bad drinking problem. I know I need to address it now before it destroys my life. I’ve been having a hard time staying sober for more than a week. April is a new month and I would really love to succeed in this tough journey.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Welcome Natasha!
Old 04-02-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Well I have had my share of downs today. Just a bunch of little things. Nothing I need to freak out about.
I am lucky that I get to spend the day with my boys. So I wont let the small stuff get me down.

Prof D I know what you mean. I viewed it alcohol like that for a long time. But really all it does is add to what I want a reset from. And lately I don't even get the freedom while I am drinking. Its so not worth it.
You can do this. Switch to water if you can.

You sound good today Nichole!
Old 04-02-2018, 01:56 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I am new to this site today. I am joining this group for an awesome April.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Welcome 3trees!

Today was a bit boring. Due to the constant rain I couldn't really get to take my dog out for a walk. Wasn't much on TV and I felt I was getting to that stage were I might consider alcohol because of the boredom so I went and looked up something new to do in one of my hobbies. I decided to learn something new and keep my mind busy learning. Happy with that!
So I think I'll go to bed.
Off tomorrow too but I've planned to do some stuff round the house:-)
Goodnight everyone!
Old 04-02-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi April buddies,

I know a hundred reasons why this is so hard. But knowing those isn't making things any easier right now.

I just had one of the urges out of nowhere that QuitNow mentioned. Just bam, out the blue, suddenly got overwhelmed with all I have to do and just wanted to head for a cold one. Like ProfD mentioned, that drink (followed by more drinks) would quiet my brain and minimize those thoughts.

Play the tape forward usually works but not so much right now, so I am posting here (which is what I should have done before I slipped for several days late last week...) The times that I post about needing to drink are nearly guaranteed to keep me from drinking.

I agree, Red, it's to see some familiar names. It gives me a sense that there are people out there fighting the same fight, and that's comforting somehow. And welcome to anyone new.

April 2, Day 2.

Last edited by argillaceous; 04-02-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: fixed sentence
Old 04-02-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Glad you're posting, Arg! It does stink having these thoughts take over in a way, but you can push them out by not entertaining them. Stay here tonight. Read what others are saying and be reminded of the darkness alcohol keeps dragging us back to. Think about the last really bad hangover you had or how lousy you will feel tomorrow. It just isn't worth it. The AV is a liar.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

Argi I recommend urge surfing...
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-surfing.html (urge surfing)

as well as all the other things like making sure As far as possible you're not HALT - Hungry Angry Lonely Tired

You can do this.

Welcome 3 trees donnyb and ProfD - lets make this a new start

It will get easier
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...et-easier.html (Encouragement.. It does get easier)

D
Old 04-02-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Day 1. Starting over. Don't ever want to feel like this again. I'm going to try just getting off of everything this time. The antidepressants, the alcohol, cigarettes and just commit myself to healthy lifestyle changes like exercise and a healthier diet. Maybe I will have more success that way.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really recommend you speak with your dr before getting off the antidepressants. NotOnlyMe.

If you've been drinking on them, you might find they're not working like they should be?

D
Old 04-02-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Welcome 3trees and NotOnlyMe!
Old 04-02-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I really recommend you speak with your dr before getting off the antidepressants. NotOnlyMe.

If you've been drinking on them, you might find they're not working like they should be?

D

I have an appointment this week. She already had me weaning down off the Zoloft because we were going to try Lexapro per my request, but I think maybe I will just not pick up a new drug. I hate all of the side affects and being a guinea pig. They just make me feel kinda off and spacey and I hate it.