Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 4

Old 02-18-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

((Scotty)). 💖

Congratulations Komplex!!
Old 02-18-2018, 07:59 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

PalmerSage, thanks for the list. It would be great to hear from some of those who have been absent for a while. Chickchick, kgirl, lovehoops, readyatlast, if any of you are out there drop in. It doesn't matter if you had some stumbles.

Scotty, sorry about your husband. It is painful but also nice to relive the good memories. Staying sober and living the life he would have wanted for you is the best way to honor him.

Numblady, so sorry about your father in law. You gave me a great lift a couple days ago with your post about giving one child praise. It made me laugh at a time when that chuckle was truly needed.

TYG, hope you are still with us and continue to post. You would be greatly missed.

Trohyn, sorry about the back. Enjoy the excuse to be completely lazy (doctor's orders).

Thank you all for the kind words regarding my situation. I will have more information on the true depth of the financial damage in a couple days when I get home. We will deal with it. I know ignoring or trying to drink it into oblivion will only make it worse.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

hi everybody!

As for posting to everyone I definitely can’t do that much but since most of my posts are just a quick hello and a litany or complaints about work, hard drinking husband, etc I thought I’d try to do one page .

Scotty I had no idea about your husband. I’m so sorry. But also find it inspiring you didn’t use it as a reason to drink.

All pretty good here. I walked into the garage for something and two and a half hours later I’ve almost completely reorganized my crap and decided we should have a garage sale. Not something I would have had energy to consider when drinking. I still don’t really have the energy for it but since it really seems to be motivating to the kids as far as parting with stuff goes well I’ll defjnitely entertain it.

Going to finish out operation garage and then go replant a tree! Then go to work when my husband gets home from boozing his way through and after a marathon.

Hope all have a great day!
Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

Hiya Classmates.

My back is better. Thanks for all your kind wishes and nonactivity advice.

Hugs to you Scotty. I do so agree with your sentiments on experiencing life and emotions' highs and lows without the anesthesia of alcohol, and being equally present for both. I think it's called living.:think

It was a really dreary day, today in Ireland. Didn't do much for my SADS, but I did manage a long walk with 2 of my dogs in the soft rain. I think I'll retire early this evening and listen to some radio plays on YouTube. I think I enjoy them as much as podcasts.
Hope you all had a great weekend.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Good Evening Class!

Just a quick check in for me today. I have some work that's been piling up, which has been contributing to my anxiety, so I'm going to take the evening to get on top of some things so I can hit the ground running tomorrow for a busy week ahead. My husband has gone to a friend's house to have a few drinks for the evening (same friend from 'the dinner') - he'll be joining the friend and some others who are drinking after being out last night. I declined to accompany as I am removing myself from all such situations. To be honest, I can't imagine anything worse - the way I feel right now, I want to put as much distance between myself and alcohol/partying as I possibly can. It was another friend's birthday last night and I made an excuse not to go, as it entailed the old party crowd in the old party haunts, and I've worked hard to distance myself from that whole scene over the past 2 years or so. I'm so happy that I stayed in and read/watched TV curled up with my husband instead.

@Scotty: I am so so sorry for your pain. I can't imagine the heartbreak, and I just want to reiterate my admiration for you in how you are handling of life's challenges and staying committed to your sobriety. You are an inspiration.

Everyone else, I'm sorry I haven't time this evening to respond individually, but as always - your posts keep me going and I appreciate you, SR family! Have a safe and sober evening
Old 02-19-2018, 01:35 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Finally a chance to pop in here and catch up with everyone.

Chase I’m really sorry to hear about the MIL situation. It is always tricky when family and money get mixed up. Imagine how much harder dealing with the situation would be if you were hungover! I hope things can be resolved calmly.

@ Trophyn glad the back is on the mend. I should SO move to Ireland, perhaps it’s because I was born in the UK, but I love wet, wild or dark days. Ironically I now live in the sub tropics.

@ Numblady, sorry to hear about your FIL’s ongoing health issues and the decisions about his long term care that you have ahead. Please don’t apologise for long posts, you do an amazing job keeping up with everyone here and I always enjoy reading your messages. Well done on the garage cleaning, those jobs feel aamazing when finished.

@Palmer, thank you for that list. I worry about people too, I just hope the ones who don’t post any more are busy enjoying their sober lives and that SR helped kickstart something that they are now exploring in other ways. I just hope they know the door here is always open and there is a light burning in the window.

@New Chapter, really well done for not putting yourself in temptations way, that takes a special kind of strength.

My AV decided to try out ‘but isn’t it boring without alcohol’ instead of the more usual ‘you know you want it’ routine. Life actually has been a lot more interesting and yes I want it, but I want to be sober more. Plus I don’t drink any more.

Does anyone else find they are staying up too late? It’s not about trouble sleeping, I just seem to get a weird second wind at around 11pm and then before I know it, it is past midnight.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:50 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

Ah, there you are. Good Morning Classmates.

Hope Monday finds you all well. Just a quick hello for now, before I take my GSD for a walk and tell him my woes. I'll post a longer one later.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Happy Monday, Class!

36/36 of 90/90 for me on Day 36 of sobriety. Man, the novelty still has not worn off for waking up fresh on a Monday, without the compounded guilt/fear and general grogginess of a hangover after a weekend binge. I've a lot of work to get through this week, so I am trying to counter my stress/anxiety with gratitude for at least being in a position to approach my workload with a clear head and body.

I am still finding it difficult to rise early (getting up at 8am instead of 6am), which means gym has been falling by the way side as if I don't get it in before work, I struggle to get it in at all, as I end up working through lunch and have a lot on in the evenings such as supervision for volunteering and the volunteer shifts themselves, lectures for a diploma course I am completing and evening clients - plus laziness and lethargy after long days!! My mini-goal this week is to focus on taking back control of my eating as I feel the overindulgences and binging are the main culprit for my low energy. I vow to get up at 6am the rest of the week to ensure I get my gym in, I know I'll feel better for it. I will also not drink this week (week 6 - yay!!).

How is the sugar cut going for those who have been doing it?

Does anyone else have some mini-goals for this week, besides our shared mega-goal of ongoing sobriety? :-)

@Trohyn: Nothing better than a walk with your dog to brighten your day!

Have a great week, Class
Old 02-19-2018, 04:35 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

NC happy Monday to you too! I am up early ish for a very quick yoga season but not as early as I’d planned and I can’t talk myself into anything too intense (I try to do HIIT 2-3 tines/week). I’m trying not to be too hard or strict on myself. On top of quitting alcohol I had a friend die recently of ALS. She loved to exercise. Somehow this makes me both grateful for when I can work out but also just cherish this life and the things I do when I blow off the workouts, like sleep, which is like my best friend/secret boyfriend . Along with coffee. Anyhow try not to set yourself up with too strict a goal. Or maybe it works for you. But be kind to yourself!!

Chase hope the money situation unfolds in a less awful way than you probably anticipate.

Trohyn glad back is better.

So I forgot to tell you the most interesting part with FIL. When in ICU he went into DTs and they had to treat him for that. Doc says strokes likely a result of how much he drank. Hope is he’ll make a full recovery off the booze. Hope he doesn’t just go right back to drinking but he probably will. Hope my husband will take this as a wake up call but he probably won’t. He’s in the clutches.

Forgot who asked about second wind but fortunately or unfortunately I don’t even seem to get the first wind a lot of days. Funny how everyone always talks about the second wind. Never first or third. Also sounds kind of like potty humor. First wind. I digress.

I am definitely in Camp of work anxiety. Massive deliverable. So much going on. Worked this weekend. Up to get into work today (“holiday”). Kind of dehumanizing but hopefully in a year or so I’ll change jobs.

Hope it’s a great or at least decent Monday for all.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Good morning class. I decided to join those of you exercising and eating well now that I have a month under my belt. I went for a great run/walk with my dog this morning! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Scotty - I am staying up late too, it’s like I get excited about laying in bed and being coherent, lol.

NumbLady - way to go with operation garage, mine could use some attention for sure!

Trohyn - glad the back is doing better.

Chase - great job handling your money/family issues with dignity.

New Chapter - happy day 36. You’re doing awesome avoiding icky situations.

All of my January Class. - happy Monday, have an awesome week!!!
Old 02-19-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

numblady, I would love to get back into yoga but I'm a little overwhelmed at the thought of it! Are you aware of any good online classes for beginners? And I can totally relate to your "secret boyfriend" sleep, I remember you saying that in one of your first posts and I thought it was so funny (and true).

NC, congrats on day 36! It sounds like you're super busy at work, at least it's a productive use of your mind. And if it's any consolation, I didn't really even consider exercise until 50ish days. It will all come together in due time.

Komplex, I love laying in bed and being coherent too! Such a change from before. It's great to read books that I can actually remember.

Chase, good to see you! I think lovehoops is posting over in the February class.

Day 63 here. I had a houseful of kids last night, and now I'm anxious for their parents to come and get them. I have family plans today and tonight, and while I would much rather just relax on the sofa, it's good for me to keep it all moving. There will be time for rest at work tomorrow, hahaha.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:37 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Congrats on 63 days Palmer!!!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:47 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

@Numblady: I am so so sorry to hear about your friend. ALS is such an awful disease, it truly is heartbreaking and i'm sorry it took your friend. I can absolutely relate to your enamour with sleep - I am right there with you! My husband and I joke that sleep is my single most favourite pastime! That's very sobering information regarding your FIL. It really hits home the extent to which we are damaging our health and jeopardising our well being when we allow alcohol to hold a higher priority for us than our own quality of life. I hope that your husband will realise this also in his own time, maybe when he has processed the shock of his father's ill health.

@Komplex: Well done on taking exercise with your dog - I'm so motivated by everyone's commitment to health in a wider sense in their sobriety, I hope to follow suit!

@Plamer: Thanks for the assurances! I'm hoping that I might summon the motivation soon - in the meantime, I'll have to just 'fake it til I make it' and just force myself to keep with routine until the old juices start flowing and I start to enjoy the pump again! I know it's all about routine and creating patterns (particularly for me, I'm a very regimented person!) - so right now the challenge is to break the cycle of eating crap and sleeping in and substitute this with a good diet and some gym induced endorphins to boot!

Thankfully I made some good progress at work today. Still a mountain to scale, but at least I've started the hike, so to speak! Let's say today I reached Base Camp 1! Haha Will be finishing up in a bout an hour to head in to supervision for my volunteering role this evening. Looking forward to getting home tonight and chilling in front of the TV with my husband before bed!

How is everyone else's day going?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Just woken up on a strange Tuesday. NZ is going to be hit by a cyclone in a couple of hours. Where I am is not directly in its path, but the sky is a strange colour and everything is so still, the literal calm before the storm.

Trophyn, I have a GSD too, aren’t they amazing dogs?

Sunflower, hope all is well?

Have a great day/night everyone.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:10 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

stay safe Scotty! Scary.

Palmer I am so excited by your question. I cannot say enough good things about yogaglo. You can try it free for 2 weeks and even when you pay it’s cheaper than some single classes. They have EVERYTHING including classes and programs specific to recovery. My very favorite teadher and overall hero is Stephanie Snyder. Apparently she also has an amazing Ted Talk on top of her perfect beautiful classes. I also just listened to her interview on Home podcasts. Elena Brower has an interview and a series just for recovery. Other fave teachers for me are Rod Stryker, Amy Ippolliti, Stephen Espinosa, Annie Carpenter and chelsey Korus. Seriously. Everything from 5 minute meditation to in depth teacher training. Check it!

I’m in a holding pattern for work. And trying to let go of some control as the client was impressed with the deliverable in what I consider a subpar state. Stakes are extremely high so obsessiveness on my part justified but still have to accept there’s only so much I can do and fix.

Anyhow instead of continuing to wait at office I came and am sneaking in a pedicure. I’m so excited. Haven’t had one in over 6 months. What a treat!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

Hi all.
I had my first, full on, teeth gritting, white knuckle craving this afternoon.
I'm a calm, easy going guy by nature but I felt like a cornered wild animal. The AV was relentless. I tried all the usual ploys of not communicating with it, yet I was filled with thoughts of doubt and hopelessness:

AV;
"Fancy a drink?"
"Don't ignore me with all that AVRT BS, I'm not separate from you, I am you"
"Look, just have a 1/2 bottle of vodka. Just half."
"You know you're going to drink eventually. You might as well do it now."
"Go on SR then. You know that their BS platitudes will just make you angry and you'll drink on that."
"You're on your own pal. Sure, everybody drinks. Why shouldn't you?"
"This craving will never go away. Just drink FFS"
"Go on. Drink."
"DRINK!!!!!!!"

Eventually I did go on SR and although I didn't post, I read.

I read your posts, class. I read today's and yesterday's posts and remembered what you've posted in the past. I remembered the empathy that I've felt with and from all of you. I remembered why I joined this class. I took the strength from being in this class to help me. The screaming AV finally shut the **** up.

Thank you all so,so much.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Trohyn :

Amazing job!!!!!!!🙌🏻
Old 02-19-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scottynz View Post
Just woken up on a strange Tuesday. NZ is going to be hit by a cyclone in a couple of hours. Where I am is not directly in its path, but the sky is a strange colour and everything is so still, the literal calm before the storm.

Trophyn, I have a GSD too, aren’t they amazing dogs?

Sunflower, hope all is well?

Have a great day/night everyone.
I’m here!!!!! Stay safe !!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:34 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

Hello Scotty's GSD

Last edited by Trohyn; 02-19-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Pic was huge
Old 02-19-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

Thanks Sunflower.