Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 4

Old 03-02-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for taking the time to explain that Scotty

D
Old 03-02-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

@Scotty that sounds like a pretty tough balancing act but stopping drinking will be a great help for you and have immeasurable benefits. Congrats on the MRI...a little assertiveness can go a long way :-)

Day 6 here, after a pretty chaotic three weeks I have a relaxing weekend ahead. For most of the last 3 weeks I have been in the US on business, my wife in SE Asia on business, one of my sons in Europe and the other in China. Finally, all back home for a few days of normality so lots of nice family time ahead this weekend. Certainly that won't involve any drinking.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:44 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Hello again and good night! The cocktail party was nice enough. I couldn't get out of work when I meant to, but I figured it was more of a drop by situation. Nope! I was the last one there. Arrived by 6 for a 5 p.m. start and every single person was already there and seated in front of a giant picture window that I then just had to walk by while they all stared at me. It was actually pretty funny, and I'm again thankful I'm pretty okay being awkward. Because then I spilled seltzer water on the counter, bumped into someone trying to get up to get a paper towel, and later for piece de la resistance basically jet propelled a piece of cheese across the floor b/c it was fairly hard and when the knife came down the motion transferred to the cheese flying across the room.

But I didn't drink. The hostess asked me what i wanted and I said I'd just make my own. Turns out it may not be the best advertising to call my little drink "strawberry drinking vinegar." I guess it's called shrub and this is cooler somehow. Or at least was the nameshe recognized. She even had a couple bottles of her own. She said she had them from when she was sober. I mentioned I wasn't drinking for at least 100 days and she said, "why not?!!" and I said, "well you did it for like seven months" (she had just told me that). To which she replied "well I was with an AA guy. Why would you want to do it???" So then I put on serious face and just said, "I was drinking a LOT. Like WAY TOO MUCH." Like I was letting her in on a little secret, which I was, and then she said something supportive and that was it. Heard some really cool stories and chatted with some very nice women. Had a little bit of movie night with the kids and now I'm going to read and nod on off to bed. Up for a group bike ride. Will be great to not be hung over. I've only done one outdoor ride since quitting since the weather has been uncooperative and I've been unmotivated. I just remember so many rides while drinking where I would look around the group and think to myself "well none of YOU drank a bottle and a half of wine last night". Like it was some type of achievement. I would sometimes take advil before even though it's hard on the kidneys just because I couldn't take how crappy I felt and it's usually a couple hours of sweating before I would feel better. Then come home and hopefully get a nap and eventually more Advil so I could start the whole thing all up again. Guessing you can relate

Untubnt, very glad you are getting that relaxing weekend!

NC, hope it slows down a bit for you.

Scotty, I am glad you were able to push for the MRI as well.

HI to everybody else! Sleep tight..
Old 03-02-2018, 08:26 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Also 4theFallen thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I was totally repeating “you got this “ to myself thanks to you!
Old 03-02-2018, 11:47 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Nice job numblady, well handled and sounds like a v successful night.

Your thing with the cheese made me laugh thinking back a few years to a first date I had with a girl I met online. Neither of us had been drinking and she told me earlier in the day she was feeling a little nervous. I told her no need, to chill and tried to be as nice as possible of course.

After she sat down at the table after a few
Mins she took a sip of water and put down her water glass too hard smashing it all over the table. She jumped up to grab a napkin and knocked her plate of food over onto the ground. At the same time I jumped up to try to try to catch the plate and slammed by other hand onto my fork prongs causing it to catapult across the restaurant. Total carnage in the space of 2 seconds hahaha. I still laugh years later. And yeah we continued dating, she turned out to be a very lovely girl.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Untubnt love that story!! What a first date.

I’m up to go ride bikes but don’t feel like it. Ironically given the whole not drinking thing my head is killing me. But going to force myself to get out there anyway and see how it goes. Bye bye and have a good Saturday everyone.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Numblady and ubntubnt, I absolutely LOVE the comedies of errors!!!

And Numblady, I seriously admire you for telling your host the real reason why you're not drinking. For me, I honestly couldn't imagine challenging someone if they said they wanted a soda or had stopped drinking, if anything I would fall all over myself to offer them choices (probably weird in itself). The only time I've ever done that is with someone like my SIL, who says "oh, I shouldn't have wine but it looks amazing" or something like that, but in retrospect, I was probably just looking for a drinking partner.

Yesterday was a tough day for me. We were stuck in the house with no power, the wind was incredibly loud, and I was bored, restless, and irritable, which is a terrible combination relative to drinking. I did get on my treadmill at the usual time, but I only did 30 minutes because I was tired and just unmotivated. Days like this really reinforce my need for structure and a sense of purpose. But I didn't drink.

Day 75 today. The sun is out, the wind has calmed down a bit, and I have a million things I need to do. I always like to have a good book in the mix, but the one I'm reading now is just OK, so I may rush through it and move on.

I'm glad NewChapter did a drive-by! I'll be here off and on all day, so I'll catch up with everyone else.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

It's been really nice to take a few minutes out of my weekend to see how everyone is doing :-)

Just checking in to say things are fine here.

The weather in Europe has been pretty bad too. We've had snow here which is very unusual and everything has come to a standstill. Some of the local shops have even run out of lots of food!

Wanted to get out and run tomorrow but there is still too much snow, so will try to get to the gym instead.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
Old 03-03-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Enjoying another sober Saturday on day 44! The weathers great here so I was able to take a jog (okay a walk with 30 second spurts of a jog). Weekends seem so much longer and more enjoyable sober. I love it!

ATM - snow sounds like no fun, enjoy the gym!

Congrats on 75 days Palmer - glad your weather has improved.

Awesome job at 60 days NumbLady, hope you had a nice bike ride.

7 days UBNT! Awesome!!! Your date store cracked me up and made me feel better about some of my dating shananagins.

Scotty - glad to hear the dr appt for your Partner’s son got you somewhere!

4thefallen - great job on recognizing when you needed rest.

Have an awesome weekend class, thanks for allowing me to be a part of the group!!stay strong!
Old 03-03-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Hey y'all! Had an amazing bike ride. I'm so glad I got out and about. Our weather was beautiful at least for the ride. There were times when the smell of flowers would lilt and waft past us in the most spring like way. Like a caricature of spring almost. Wind was not too strong. Group was fun and it put me way out of my comfort zone but in a good way. Dang my legs hurt. I met some really nice people. Sometimes on bike rides you meet these people (it's usually guys but that is probably just a reflection of who's on the rides--mostly guys) who just don't ask anything back. You ask question after question and they don't ask anything back about you. I had one like that for a while and instead of just feeling annoyed I thought, what a privilege to make another person see someone with a genuine interest in what they are saying, so I just focused on that. And it was really nice. Just listening intently to someone. Then I gave this weird box of stuff I found in the office I moved into recently away to the homeless shelter. Weird in that it was full of soaps and toiletries and toothbrushes, which is kind of an odd box of stuff to find in your office. I pulled up and instead of being standoffish and weird, I was happy to be there and not acting like I was worried someone was going to ask me to wash my windshield or for money (at the main homeless shelter there are camps of people sprawled out on the sidewalks). It is just sad to see. So many people, almost certainly with untreated mental health issues, just subsisting there in a makeshift structure of plastic tarps and blankets--if they are lucky. Some don't appear to have bedding at all. Anyhow, made me want to figure out what they really most need and try to get it to them. One lady was asking me if I had any deodorant, and i just thought how sad and crappy that is on top of everything else especially when you can't take a shower to have no deodorant. Will see if anything comes of it.

As I drove home listening to music, thinking of how I saw a mom teaching her young daughter to ride a bike in the shop when I finished, thinking about how fortunate we are to be on this earth especially compared to my friend who just died of ALS and can't be with her daughter, and thinking also of all the pain of others, I don't know. It was a weird blend of feeling like the luckiest person in the world and powerless to stem the tide of desolation that others face. I teared up a little.

I am worried about Trohyn (and of course others but particularly Trohyn since it's been so long). Will try a PM.

Komplex, so nice to see you! Thanks for BEING part of the group.

Palmer, I cannot even imagine. You showed incredible strength. I am hoping you can keep on the path you are on and also selfishly that you will keep posting. I love how consistent you are about it.

At home, I hope the weather gets better and stores can reopen. Also sorry for bragging about our nice weather. I just also don't want to take it for granted given that we are so fortunate.

Why are my posts so long? Sorry!

going out on a quasi date tonight with my husband and a friend who is in town kind of unexpectedly (to me). We are going to some kind of bourbon bar. Can't possibly imagine myself being tempted because my head has been plagued with a crushing headache all day but I'll sneak in a post if there's any danger of any kind. I'm also the driver so that's another good motivation.

Hope all are well.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

@athomeuk, a nice walk in the snow sounds great! Seems was pretty bad over there, part of ireland still under red alert.

@palmer, well done on getting through one of those days, they are tough ones with respect to abstinence. Your sobriety is getting cast in stone now. Keep at it in terms of being absolute.

@ komplex, nice to see you stopping by.

@numblady, I agree it’s nice to actually live a weekend. Rather than drinking after work on Friday continuing all night and all Saturday and suffering withdrawals on Sunday. Then shaking your way into work on Monday.

I am off to bring my son to football training (chaos) in an hour where I will help train the other kids also. I always love doing that but am usually either traveling or too hungover. Today I am neither, yay.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:42 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Just back from my weekend away, great to read everyone’s weekend catch ups.

The party I help my partner host was a success, it was interesting, it’s not much of a drinking crowd at all, but one woman kept swigging her ‘apple juice’ that was clearly wine and eventually became fall down drunk. While I never did that in company, I sure know how it feels to drink like that, as others have mentioned it was a huge turn off in terms of wanting alcohol for me.

As is so often the case though I had real cravings today, it’s almost like the AV tells me I’ve earned it, if that makes sense. I haven’t felt such a powerful desire for a long time and also a voice telling me I was too tired to log onto SR.

But here I am, but heading for an early start. I am on a two day course tomorrow, it should be great learning, but is on the other side of my city so I need to be on the road by 7am, always a mission when getting my son up early is involved.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:35 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

New thread time folks:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-5-a.html (Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 5)