Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 4

Old 02-14-2018, 09:45 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Thanks @Trohyn and @Sunflower, I appreciate it.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scottynz View Post
I’ve only got a minute right now, but I just LOVE waking up and reading everyone’s messages. So much to reply to, but an early morning meeting is calling.

For those who have faced some extra life challenges, we are doing a lot of work at my place of work about building a growth mindset and adding the word ‘YET’, so ‘I can’t do it becomes, I haven’t done it yet’. I’m finding that a helpfulway to look at things.

Congratulations on 30 days Sunflower, I’m so happy you are my sober twin. It’s gone both fast and incredibly slow, if that makes sense.

Have a great day/night everyone

Makes complete sense!!😆
Old 02-14-2018, 02:34 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Sorry too NC, you'll pass next time I've never heard of reversing around a corner, you don't do that every day haha.

Coming home today I was approaching the main street and it's a right to the liquor store, left to go home. I had a quick thought about which way to turn and of course went left, funny how that happens.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JC-NY View Post
Sorry too NC, you'll pass next time I've never heard of reversing around a corner, you don't do that every day haha.

Coming home today I was approaching the main street and it's a right to the liquor store, left to go home. I had a quick thought about which way to turn and of course went left, funny how that happens.
Awesome job!!! 👍🏻
Old 02-14-2018, 07:18 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Will have to try to do real catch up tomorrow. Just wanted to say good night and dang it’s weird to be in New Orleans the day after Mardi Gras. Sober. Everyone was drinking it seems even in the morning. Ok not everyone. And dinner with the work dudes was not only not weird but one dude Volunteered he hasn’t had a drink in 13 years. So he had Diet Coke I had mineral water and th other guy had just one beer. Wow! More later I hope. Hope it is going well for all. Damn my neighbors in the hotel are loud. Hoping white noise and speaker will drown them out! Sleep tight all.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:32 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! Wishing you a sober rest of your evening (or day depending where you are)! With help from my Higher Power I had a great day and didn't need to drink. Off to bed for me.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:20 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Smile

What a day! Life went ‘30 days sober huh? Let’s see how many balls you can juggle’. I am the parent of a sixteen year old with autism so the day began with one of his bigger meltdowns and ended with an even bigger one when the disability taxi that takes him to school forgot about him at the end of the day and it took me over an hour in nightmare traffic to get to him. He had hidden in a stairwell at his school too scared to ask for help so I was on the phone to him the whole time in the car while mentally willing the other cars to get out of my way (that does not work apparently). Crazy crazy day at work and now I just made these super healthy meatballs that have been somewhat sabotaged by adding icing sugar to them instead of cornflower (identical containers so I cleverly wrote which was which on the lids and then even more cleverly put the wrong lids on the containers). So much for being sugar free! And I have a toothache I have beeb ignoring and HATE the dentist and have to make an emergency appointment tomorrow.

Phew, on a positive note I didn’t think about drinking once. I’m proud of 30days, I really am (and super proud of you Sunflower), but I also feel kind of ‘meh’ about it too. It’s a stepping stone though.

If anyone wants the recipe for meatball surprise do let me know
Old 02-14-2018, 11:55 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Ok

Mom lost her keys. And we had we go through out all my late Dad's keys ... we found stuff his work at 35 years... rings, medallions, ... I f felt so lost and insignificant.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:32 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Now enough about me.

New Chapter, I’ve lost track of time, is the dinner over yet? It is great you made a plan, I hope it all goes/went well. As for the driving test, in the rest of my life I tend to back over corners, for me it was the parallel park that was my nemisis. Sometimes those floodgates need to open to just let all the pent up stuff out.

@milly, sorry to hear about the food intolerance. I agree the focus is now on healing rather than on damage already done. Congratulations on 30 days, I understand how you feel about reaching it. I have been keeping track of the money I have saved by not drinking and am planning on using some of it to treat myself at each 30 day marker. This time around it is a hot stone massage which is less than half what I would have spent on alcohol, the rest is going into a holiday account for my son and I. I did have lab work done at the start of quitting, but am too scared to get them done again in case there is no real improvement yet so am going to wait for the 90day mark. Love that you are painting.

@Palmersage, great work on the treadmill and on the 58 days. It’s great that your guard is up, but also that you are taking small steps to live a sober life instead of just not drinking. It’s such good advice to tackle things in small steps.

@numb lady, your life does sound busy, you are doing great maintaining your sobriety amid it all. I have had a lot of joint pain too, I guess alcohol was masking a lot. I had zero weight loss until this week and suddenly the scale went down a little. I think our bodies go into shock at the sudden loss of calories and sugar and start to store it until they realise there is a new equilibrium.

@Defence, thank you for sharing so honestly about the tough realities of this fight we are all in. I know I often withdraw when I feel that way which means I’m not really sharing my authentic experience, just edited highlights. You show such strength in sharing during the hard times. I’m so pleased the chatroom helped with the AV

@Trohyn, good to see your pixels here, Ive also been finding your messages in the AVRT section really helpful.

@Sunflower 30 days, go us

TYGT2. I just saw your message SO glad to see you are still here.

Sorry for anyone I missed, great to ‘chat’ with you all
Old 02-15-2018, 12:41 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

@TYG2 I wanted to reply to you separately in case my response got lost. I am so sorry things are so hard. Grief is such a difficult thing to live with and triggers like that can be really overwhelming.

You ARE significant and really really brave. I cannot tell you how much I admire the way you post here and share such personal and painful experiences. I know on one level we are anonymous strangers, but on another we are a family, brought together by a common addiction and desire to become better versions of ourselves.

Your posts here show a tremendous capacity for kindness towards others, but please please save some of that kindness for yourself. Hang in there.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JC-NY View Post

Thanks JC-NY. Wow isn’t it amazing how all of these little decisions come into our awareness when we’re sober? And these are ultimately the small crossroads that lead us to good or bad decisions with all of the benefits or consequences that go with that. Well done!
Old 02-15-2018, 01:45 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Numblady View Post
Will have to try to do real catch up tomorrow. Just wanted to say good night and dang it’s weird to be in New Orleans the day after Mardi Gras. Sober. Everyone was drinking it seems even in the morning. Ok not everyone. And dinner with the work dudes was not only not weird but one dude Volunteered he hasn’t had a drink in 13 years. So he had Diet Coke I had mineral water and th other guy had just one beer. Wow! More later I hope. Hope it is going well for all. Damn my neighbors in the hotel are loud. Hoping white noise and speaker will drown them out! Sleep tight all.
Wow, it’s funny how life works out sometimes, isn’t it? I’m so happy that it’s working out for you and that there isn’t a huge pressure to drink. Makes it so much more relaxed when you don’t feel like the only one. I hope the rest of the trip goes well!
Old 02-15-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

@TYG2 I wanted to reply to you separately in case my response got lost. I am so sorry things are so hard. Grief is such a difficult thing to live with and triggers like that can be really overwhelming.

You ARE significant and really really brave. I cannot tell you how much I admire the way you post here and share such personal and painful experiences. I know on one level we are anonymous strangers, but on another we are a family, brought together by a common addiction and desire to become better versions of ourselves.

Your posts here show a tremendous capacity for kindness towards others, but please please save some of that kindness for yourself. Hang in there.
I couldn’t have put it better myself (thanks for the eloquence, @Scotty!). So glad you’ve decided to stay with us @TYG.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:51 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

What a day! Life went ‘30 days sober huh? Let’s see how many balls you can juggle’. I am the parent of a sixteen year old with autism so the day began with one of his bigger meltdowns and ended with an even bigger one when the disability taxi that takes him to school forgot about him at the end of the day and it took me over an hour in nightmare traffic to get to him. He had hidden in a stairwell at his school too scared to ask for help so I was on the phone to him the whole time in the car while mentally willing the other cars to get out of my way (that does not work apparently). Crazy crazy day at work and now I just made these super healthy meatballs that have been somewhat sabotaged by adding icing sugar to them instead of cornflower (identical containers so I cleverly wrote which was which on the lids and then even more cleverly put the wrong lids on the containers). So much for being sugar free! And I have a toothache I have beeb ignoring and HATE the dentist and have to make an emergency appointment tomorrow.

Phew, on a positive note I didn’t think about drinking once. I’m proud of 30days, I really am (and super proud of you Sunflower), but I also feel kind of ‘meh’ about it too. It’s a stepping stone though.

If anyone wants the recipe for meatball surprise do let me know
@Scotty: Just - WOW. That is an incredible amount of challenges to be dealing with and it sounds like you handled the situation so well. You were a Supermom to your son and supported him through the difficulties AND came to his rescue! Staying sober and not allowing the AV the time of day to even whisper in your ear during all of this is so impressive. I’m inspired and really admire you. Well done.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:00 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Good Morning Class - Day 32 for me and 'D-Day' or day of THE dinner I've been harping on about (you won't have to listen to it for much longer!). Just wanted to say thank you all again for the support in particular over the last few days as I've needed it, you guys have really gotten me through. Still super anxious about tonight, but we are going to a restaurant near to our house, so I can leave and come home easy afterwards. Also, I found out that another couple will be coming too, a couple that weren't out with us that weekend (the weekend of the binge) and I'm hoping this will provide a buffer/deterrent for anyone to bring up that weekend. Here's hoping.

Last night my husband and I went out to a Michelin star restaurant for Valentine's day. We made the booking months ago as we had a voucher that was due to expire that had been a gift. We laughed the whole night through - we could barely eat any of the food! We are not fans of very fancy food (we prefer normal, cozy restaurants!) so we kind of knew this going, but it was so nice to have an evening to just laugh at the situation. It really cheered me up after the failed driving test and took my mind off the anxiety of the dinner tonight a little.

Wishing you all a wonderful sober day. I will check back in here after the dinner tonight, if I'm not back on during the day. Please keep me in your thoughts/prayers!
Old 02-15-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Welsh member.

Hey class how on earth are you all today?
TYG, welcome back to where you belong friend. Delighted you're back and looking forward to reading your insights and witticisms again.

Scotty, you're some woman for one woman. The way you deal with a crappy day with such humour and stoicism is remarkable. (Is it drugs? ) You really do impress me.

NCJ, looking forward to being disappointed in your final installment of "THE DINNER" story in that it turns out to be a non-event, and nothing of the previous incident is mentioned. (Obviously, a qualified disappointed ) (I do hope that statement comes across the way it was meant.)
Others, (and this is why I dislike posting this type of thing)I love you to bits.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trohyn View Post
Hey class how on earth are you all today?
TYG, welcome back to where you belong friend. Delighted you're back and looking forward to reading your insights and witticisms again.

Scotty, you're some woman for one woman. The way you deal with a crappy day with such humour and stoicism is remarkable. (Is it drugs? ) You really do impress me.

NCJ, looking forward to being disappointed in your final installment of "THE DINNER" story in that it turns out to be a non-event, and nothing of the previous incident is mentioned. (Obviously, a qualified disappointed ) (I do hope that statement comes across the way it was meant.)
Others, (and this is why I dislike posting this type of thing)I love you to bits.
Thanks @Trohyn - it comes across perfectly and the sentiment is appreciated deeply! Getting ready now and dinner is in an hour - so you’ll have the verdict (as will I) soon. I’m hoping you are right and that I’ll be back here apologizing in a few hours for being a drama queen about the whole thing!!

How is your day/week going?!
Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Hi all, day 59...checking in late and still trying to catch up on all the posts. I've been very busy for the past couple of days, and still eating way too much sugar, especially today, which makes me exhausted and foggy. On the plus side, I've continued to be more active, gearing myself up for tomorrow. Since it will be 60 days, I plan to take stock of my weight, finally getting on the dreaded scale and seeing how much work I really need to do. In past attempts at sobriety, I've failed to work hard at making positive changes aside from simply not drinking, which has benefits of its own, but those benefits are clearly not enough to keep me stopped.

I still face situations which are extremely uncomfortable and nerve-wracking for me, and the thought of drinking does come up. So far, I've been able to work through them and feel stronger on the other side. It's not easy, but I'm pretty sure I won't die from simple discomfort.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:59 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your milestone NC and best wishes for tonight
Congrats on 59 days Palmersage

Hi and best wishes to everyone else

D
Old 02-15-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Day 34 for me. I won't be drinking today.

Palmer - Good for getting on that treadmill. I know what you mean about needing to make more changes than just "not drinking". I'm still working on that too. Sosososo any big celebration for tomorrow's 60 day mark, other than just getting on the scale? Like you, I also have things that still trigger me. One is sitting down to pay bills (goes back to the days when I didn't have enough money to pay them, I'm sure). I'm curious about what you are dealing with, not that you have to share if you don't want to.

Defense - Yay on day 26! And good for you going to the chat room. I haven't tried that resource yet, but it's good to hear it works in case I need it in the future. I also have to work at not getting overwhelmed, and finding more healthy coping mechanisms. It's weird too, 'cause not drinking makes me hold myself to a higher standard . . . which triggers being overwhelmed. I'm going to have to really keep on top of that dynamic.

Scotty and Sunflower - Congrats on reaching your 30 days!! It's a huge goal met. I'm proud of you sober twins!

Scotty - Wow, what a day you had, huh? Crazy. The fact you didn't think about drinking once during the chaos is AMAZING! I think that's a really big deal. About money though. . . that extra money thing just is not working out for me. I'm so ready to jump in and do all kinds of different things (now that I'm not drinking) that I'm spending more money than ever. Oh well . . .

Tyg2 - It's weird how all those important things like rings, cuff links, etc . . . seem all so important . . . then seem lost to time. How did you feel about going through your Dad's stuff? Was it weird? Sad? Triggering? Btw . . . glad you decided to stick around. It wouldn't be the same here without you

Good job everyone! We all seem to being doing pretty good at the moment, right?