Notices

Class of December 2017 Support Thread Pt. 1

Old 12-03-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

So it's day one again! after a 2 day bender. I took my first drink Saturday saying it's just one light beer .... Well 48 hours later I'm here and hungover. I can't just have one drink... It's simple .
Old 12-03-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Countrylife View Post
I don’t intent to drink and if I didnt want to quit I wouldn’t be here November the 25th of 2017 is first day I decided to do something about it I went 5 days sober first time in 3 years and loved it Friday and Saturday I couldn’t handle it if addiction wasn’t a struggle nobody would be here talking i wake up not wanting to drink this sobriety is new to me it’s like learning how to walk again everybody’s struggles are different that what makes us unique how many times have u drink or just said 1 then ended up 3 or 4 but didn’t intend to??
Sorry Country. I was a bit harsh. I am a bit cranky since stopping cigarettes. I am a binge drinker and can easily get through a few days. Good on you for day one. Definitely see your doctor if you have intense anxiety. I find yoga relaxing. I am not pretending that every day one is easy. If you have been consistently drinking for 3 years you may need a liver test. I am too scared of what alcohol has done to me. Please be careful and keep going. Y are doing well so far.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
Good morning all. I went back to sleep for a bit.
I was woken by my step-dad telling me my Mom is ready for hospice. I should probably feel really upset. But the truth is she has needed some equipment and we could use some support and a bit of help for a while now. So all I really feel is a great sense of relief.
Which kind of makes me feel like a bad daughter. But I really just want what is best for her. I'm going to be careful about how my thoughts play out about it for the rest of the day. I'm sure AV would love a chance to use this as an excuse to drink.
Chick sorry you are going through such a hard time. It sounds like great help for your mum. Don't feel guilty about the sense of relief. Its perfectly normal. Post as much as you need to. You are doing great.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:51 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Loui84 View Post
So it's day one again! after a 2 day bender. I took my first drink Saturday saying it's just one light beer .... Well 48 hours later I'm here and hungover. I can't just have one drink... It's simple .
Its the first drink that does the damage. Everytime I pick up one drink it ends up in a binge. Easier said than done. Play the tape through before you try one. Be completely honest with yourself on how it will end up.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:24 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

So it’s 1:11am I am sober I’ve been awaking up to the feeling not being able to breathe then go into a panic or ill fall asleep and wake up quickly in fear or like I’m about to pass out has anyone experience this before during withdrawals While I’m on here I would like thoughts on aa anyone been??? I talk to a friend who goes to aa she told me the devil is in me that’s why we drink and if that’s how aa is count me out that’s why I don’t do church
Old 12-03-2017, 10:43 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Morning everyone 😀 Welcome to everyour who joined us overnight and yesterday.

Country life I've been to aa and they were brilliant. I didn't stick at it as really not into groups but it works for many and definitely worth giving a try. What harm can it do. Maybe your friend just got a strange group. I've read of people trying a few groups till they find one that suits them.

I don't sleep well for first few days but still better than waking with a hangover. Maybe see your doctor. Or try yoga breathing meditation etc.

Day 3 and work for me today. Monday morning here in uk. Hope everyone has a great day. X
Old 12-04-2017, 12:08 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hey Country,

I’ve been to some meetings that were not at all like that but I think it depends very much on the group. I’m not religious so the whole God bit of AA doesn’t work for me. I prefer to think of it as symbolic, that works for me.

Don’t let any preaching put you off. This is our recovery and we can do it however is best for us!

The devil is in the detail not in us
Old 12-04-2017, 12:52 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I would like to join this thread. Day 1 here. I've had two stretches of sobriety and coming back to it after third relapse. I'm sick of this. Like my name says lol

I see there are a couple other folks here who are dealing with cancer in the family. I'm in the same boat. You have my empathy. We can stay sober and really be there for them in their time of need.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

Countrylife - I think a lot of us deal with anxiety and panic attacks in early recovery.
I remember nor being able to sleep for the first few days at all because my heart was just galloping and my nerves were screaming.

If you've never had them before hopefully they'll lessen with time.

D
Old 12-04-2017, 01:03 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sickofthiscrap.

No family members but I lost a dear friend to cancer nearly 5 years ago now.

As tough as it was, I'm glad I was sober for it.

I was able to be of use and help and support - I'm not sure I would have been any use had I been still drinking.

D
Old 12-04-2017, 01:49 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Another day 1 for me.

Really need to do this now, for the sake of my health, relationship, friendships and finances. Enough is enough. It always begins with me thinking that I can control my drinking by having only a few at the weekend instead of giving up completely. Seems to be a rationale comprimise until it starts to become a daily event, getting drunk every night, skipping work to go drinking during the day and me beocming more and more selfish and self centred as it takes over my life.

This time is going to be different. I don't need alcohol to be happy and I don't need it to enjoy life.

Onwards and upwards.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:00 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome OTL

D
Old 12-04-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good morning All.

I would like to join the December class. I have been away too long from Sober recovery and I am in need of support as I move forward without drinking.

I have been a member for a while and have had periods of not drinking. Yet I manage to let it creep back in.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

New to this, and so sick of this. Hoping to start a holiday season sober.
Starting at Noon today, December 4. After this weekend's blackout,
I can't even go to to work today. Can't get through the AM without something.

But that changes now. Best to all of you.....
Old 12-04-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Countrylife View Post
So it’s 1:11am I am sober I’ve been awaking up to the feeling not being able to breathe then go into a panic or ill fall asleep and wake up quickly in fear or like I’m about to pass out has anyone experience this before during withdrawals While I’m on here I would like thoughts on aa anyone been??? I talk to a friend who goes to aa she told me the devil is in me that’s why we drink and if that’s how aa is count me out that’s why I don’t do church
Grab the sheets and cry until you can't cry any more. Drink water.
When that is all gone the world will start being kind to you.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hello everyone hopefully everyone is doin good!!!! day 2 for me and I’m not gonna lie it’s been hard I wanna post my thoughts to hopefully clear my head my withdrawals has came back with revenge last night I started to hear things I know that wasn’t there and I got up to drink a bottle of water and thought I seen a bottle of wine setting on the counter had to double look it was just a cleaning bottle and I cant forget panic attacks anxiety not sleeping and sick feeling if I knew it was gonna be this bad I would of never tried alcohol my addiction is telling me to drink you feel better but I know it will just get worse and I’m not about to start over again I’ve been drinking lots of water and hanging around the house best of luck to everyone let’s get through the day sober together
Old 12-04-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me as well CountryLife.

I was up until 3:30am as I couldn't sleep, was jumping at every noise in the house and generally feeling anxious.

I've been here before. Sometimes it takes a few days - but piece by piece it gets better in tiny increments.

The things we do to ourselves eh?

7:14pm in the UK and I never 'pick up' (for the first drink) after this time. So that's Day 2 sorted.

Looking forward to Day 3 - I'll see you there Country!
Old 12-04-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hi everyone day 3 drawing to a close. 8.30 pm here in uk. Watching a scary drama which probably won't help me sleep 😀

Hope everyone has had a good day and getting through sober.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi All, Posted on the 1st, but it's now the 4th and I'm on day 2. Math doesn't add up does it? Have a doctors appointment tomorrow to lay down the truth. For some reason I figured since I couldn't get in until the 5th that it was okay to have a bit more on the 2nd. AV voice and anxiety I guess. Happy to read this thread though. I think otherwise I'd be at 0 and have no plans to go to the Dr
Old 12-04-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome soberjim and newpup4me

a couple of links I think everyone should read - very useful stuff:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ery-plans.html (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)

D