Notices

Class of December 2017 Support Thread Pt. 1

Old 12-02-2017, 12:45 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hey Country,

Have a similar issue here. Supposed to be going out next week with a couple of old friends we haven’t seen in a while. DW is taking her to see the ballet and he and I are instead supposed to be going for a drink, or if previous experience is anything to go by far too many drinks. Haven’t figured out how I’m going to handle the situation but I’ve decided I will handle it somehow.

I’ve had the wait until after conversation but for me it went like this... wait until after outing, then it’s nearly Xmas and we have family visiting to do (most are big drinkers), so wait until after Xmas, then it’s nearly Hogmanay - and I’m Scottish so I need a drink on Hogmanay. Then January is dark and miserable so will need a drink, February is my birthday... etcetera etcetera.

I don’t have any answers about how or even if I can handle all of these situations but I’ve come to the conclusion that not knowing how or even if I will be able to handle them is not going to stop me being sober today. So far I’ve seen a beautiful frosty sunrise and tomorrow we have our Xmas tree to put up and we have friends over for a tree decorating party (they aren’t big drinkers so that should be easy and fun). I know if I give up now because of what might happen in a couple of weeks then putting the tree up will be hard work with a hangover and when the friends come over I’ll be waiting for them to leave rather than enjoying their company.

So I’m in for another sober day and let next week take care of itself!
Old 12-02-2017, 01:44 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your mum ChickChick.

I'm glad you know that drinking as helping is a lie.
In the wash up, all it does is ramp up your anxiety even more.

Wishing the best for you, your mom and your family.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:12 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

So it’s 6am here I’ve been laying in bed since 430am feeling sick I gave into temptation last night I couldn’t sleep so it was midnight so I thought 1 drink then of course it can’t be just 1 then after second one I realized I’m not enjoying this at all I didn’t like the feeling that’s the first time in a long time I can remember I didn’t like the feeling then waking up feeling sick and shaking and nervous at 4am I realized it didn’t even help me sleep just made it worse so I thought I’d read some post and I’m glad for the advice I’m gonna keep trying and when the issue comes up handle it and not set and worry about what could happen I realize sobriety was goin to be hard but not this hard then i thought to myself it’s only as hard as you make it so day 1 again and not goin to worry about the future just today thanks y’all for the support glad someone can relate and cares hopefully everyone has a good day Stay strong everyone is in my thoughts
Old 12-02-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hey Country,

its' really hard, I found myself tidying up my office at 2:30am. First few days are the worst I find. After a few days sleep gets a bit easier. Try concentrating on today and looking after yourself and maybe we can do this together!

Thinking of you.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Thanks Dee.

Countrylife, I'm sorry you drank. But I am so glad you came and posted and are thinking about what to do differently. Stick close to us today! I hope maybe you can catch a nap.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to drop in and say hello and good luck from the Class of December 2016! Getting through that first holiday season sober will feel great!

All the best to all of you, you got this .
Old 12-02-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Congrats on a year BBB!
My goal is to follow in your footsteps. I would love to say I am a year sober next December.

Having a good day here. Did a bit of shopping with hubby and my youngest. My other kids are busy away from home today. The yongest seems to be coming down with a cold. So our plan is to just chill the rest of the day.
I ordered some of the new Tazo dessert teas the other day and they just arrived. I just made a lemon one it smells delicious! I stocked up on snacks and non-boozy drinks.

Hope the rest of you are having a great sober day!
Old 12-02-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Countrylife View Post
So it’s 6am here I’ve been laying in bed since 430am feeling sick I gave into temptation last night I couldn’t sleep so it was midnight so I thought 1 drink then of course it can’t be just 1 then after second one I realized I’m not enjoying this at all I didn’t like the feeling that’s the first time in a long time I can remember I didn’t like the feeling then waking up feeling sick and shaking and nervous at 4am I realized it didn’t even help me sleep just made it worse so I thought I’d read some post and I’m glad for the advice I’m gonna keep trying and when the issue comes up handle it and not set and worry about what could happen I realize sobriety was goin to be hard but not this hard then i thought to myself it’s only as hard as you make it so day 1 again and not goin to worry about the future just today thanks y’all for the support glad someone can relate and cares hopefully everyone has a good day Stay strong everyone is in my thoughts
Country please keep trying. Waking up with panic and not sleeping is the reason I can't drink every day. Why impose a nitemare on yourself. My problem is binge drinking which is bad enough. Try distractions. A walk, cooking, deep breathing. A good movie. I think you are romanticize the drink rather than focusing on what it really does to you.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

My Hubby just cracked open a beer. My mind immediately went to where he got it and if there was more. Posting here instead of looking for his stash. I really don't want to know. And I don't want to drink!
Old 12-02-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Can you go to another room and not watch him drinking it? Is he an alcoholic too? I know people have quit with drinking partners. It can be done. Depends on how serious you are.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm ok at the moment, but good suggestion. I'll go take a bath in a bit before going to bed. He's not an alcoholic, it's not a big deal once I get AV to shut up. That is quite possibly the only beer in the house. It's amazing how some can be quite happy with just one.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I'm in too. Good to read everyones posts. I an disappointed in myself and ashamed at how crazy I am.

How on earth can I keep thinking I can drink normally. OK one night
I can drink 2 glasses of wine. Then it's every night then a bottle. I can't sleep feel anxious crazy

Iman getting physical stuff too now. Stomach pains. How do I get a grip and realise I'm destroking myself. I semi to get a few weeks sober then think I'm OK and drink on holiday or at an event and then before I know it it's every night. 😢
Old 12-02-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

RAL we can do this. Add some new tools. I know you've had long term sobriety before, you CAN do it again.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thanks chickchick. Good to see you again. You're right we can do this.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm here getting sober as well. Day 1.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:53 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Welcome Hopeful
Old 12-02-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Time to hit the hay. I am exhausted and I really didn't do much today.

Looking forward to another sober day with you all tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome RAL and Hopeful528

D
Old 12-03-2017, 02:38 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!! Where to begin instead of spending time with my kids I sent them off to my in laws instead of calling my mom and checking on her and see how her day is I drowned myself in vodka all Saturday evening and night I blackout in bed holding a drink... who does that??? It’s been eating me alive this morning but it’s like the voice in the back of my head is a broken record when it comes to drinking I have two sides sober positive loving life happy then the other is hopeless upset liar denial so on I don’t care how many 1st days of sobriety I will have I’m goin to keep trying you gotta start somewhere right?? So here is to day 1 again my motivation today is my actions speak louder then my thoughts hopefully this might someone and if u read this and not a member make an account it is worth it best of luck to everyone I’ll keep you in my thoughts
Old 12-03-2017, 02:43 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

It doesn't matter how many first days you have - I doubt there's anyone on here who hasn't had many first days - I know I have. The important thing is to be here and keep trying!

Glad you are still here and posting - whatever else happens.