Notices

Class of November Support Thread 2017 Pt 1

Old 11-12-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Hello. Its me, again. I have just read a bit from the chronic relapsers page. Sorry, yes I am one of those people. But I am always grateful for the warm welcome, especially from Dee.

I am back but this time its different. I am shocked by how much I drank last week, tolerance is way over. So I have stopped, coming up to 72 hours. First full sober day was Friday. But I'm a bit scared as I am now noticing if I stop drinking, I get really bad kidney pain (It's happened before too). I drink lots of water and its OK. I have also noticed that I am getting stomach pains and pain on the right side. I read that both are due to the body healing itself. You've burnt the stomach passage with alcohol and now its healing but you don't have the numbing effect of the alcohol to help you, and the liver is detoxing. I am a bit scared but I hope I haven't done permanent damage . The upside is, I don't want to go through all this again. It's awful not being able to sleep properly due to pains and at the back of your mind, worry. Has anyone else been through this?

I'm trying to have a healthier diet and of course no alcohol. I hope it clears up soon. Also red wine makes me go... So I have upped my veggies to try and help... Wonder if that also contributes to stomach issues.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:30 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome NorthernLass - the body is pretty amazing with its regenerative powers - I hope you'll find yourself feeling better soon

D
Old 11-12-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Thank you for your share NorthernLass. I, too, am a chronic relapser and understand. Yet I am committed to breaking the spiral downward this time. Ever thankful to you Dee for always believing in us.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Rough weekend, but still here...lots of cravings.

Yes, thank you Dee for always believing in us and welcoming us back with sober arms.

Have a great day. Xo
Old 11-12-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  
Administrator

Remember the cravings tips here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

D
Old 11-12-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NorthernLass View Post
Hello. Its me, again. I have just read a bit from the chronic relapsers page. Sorry, yes I am one of those people. But I am always grateful for the warm welcome, especially from Dee.

I am back but this time its different. I am shocked by how much I drank last week, tolerance is way over. So I have stopped, coming up to 72 hours. First full sober day was Friday. But I'm a bit scared as I am now noticing if I stop drinking, I get really bad kidney pain (It's happened before too). I drink lots of water and its OK. I have also noticed that I am getting stomach pains and pain on the right side. I read that both are due to the body healing itself. You've burnt the stomach passage with alcohol and now its healing but you don't have the numbing effect of the alcohol to help you, and the liver is detoxing. I am a bit scared but I hope I haven't done permanent damage . The upside is, I don't want to go through all this again. It's awful not being able to sleep properly due to pains and at the back of your mind, worry. Has anyone else been through this?

I'm trying to have a healthier diet and of course no alcohol. I hope it clears up soon. Also red wine makes me go... So I have upped my veggies to try and help... Wonder if that also contributes to stomach issues.
I'm having trouble with bathroom issues too....
Old 11-12-2017, 05:27 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Good morning to my day 13. I'm glad for all of you that is making a new commitment and for those that have fought the cravings. I'm frustrated with a lack of weight loss. Alcohol has a lot of calories and I'm actually eating healthier overall but that scale is stuck. I guess I am looking for a reward of some kind other than feeling irritable and lost every evening but I'm still staying strong regardless. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susiesmiles View Post
I'm having trouble with bathroom issues too....
Psyllium husks help. And drinking loads of water.

There's a forum post here about it. It says quite often, this too shall pass...he he!
Old 11-12-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

hi northern lass ... I quit last Monday and also for 2-3 days had pains under my ribs ... Not as bad now ... But also scared ... But I'm not in a position to go to the doctors . So I'm praying vitamins and good diet and exercise . Need to stop smoking .. but I know I have to stay sobor as my body is warning me!! Stay strong!!! Have you had any withdrawals ?
Old 11-12-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Loui84 View Post
hi northern lass ... I quit last Monday and also for 2-3 days had pains under my ribs ... Not as bad now ... But also scared ... But I'm not in a position to go to the doctors . So I'm praying vitamins and good diet and exercise . Need to stop smoking .. but I know I have to stay sobor as my body is warning me!! Stay strong!!! Have you had any withdrawals ?
No other symptoms except abdominal discomfort. No cravings for alcohol or sugar. Am drinking lots of water.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Good to know it's normal!? I used to view my body as a patient in need of gentle TLC, ie stay off alcohol. But at the moment I feel like I AM a patient and just have to wait till things improve.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susiesmiles View Post
Good morning to my day 13. I'm glad for all of you that is making a new commitment and for those that have fought the cravings. I'm frustrated with a lack of weight loss. Alcohol has a lot of calories and I'm actually eating healthier overall but that scale is stuck. I guess I am looking for a reward of some kind other than feeling irritable and lost every evening but I'm still staying strong regardless. Hope everyone has a great day!
me too... No weight loss!!!
Old 11-12-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Welcome to northernlass. I can't help with the pains but hopefully they get better soon.

Susie, I am actually putting weight on which is frustrating as I lost loads of weight a couple of years ago. I figure that the alcohol is worse than an extra bit of weight so need to concentrate on that....I'm trying to cling on to those thoughts anyway!!
Old 11-12-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Hi. Susie and Loui, Could it be that you are retaining water? After years of alcohol, the body has a tendency to retain water when you stop drinking. Thanks to the kind folks here on SR, I've read that it takes 4 weeks for the fluid weight to go. I know myself, after a heavy night, I'd be 'thinner' in the morning but once I drank water, I'm big again. Hang in there! You have done much better than I have ever done. Your body will sort itself out eventually!
Old 11-12-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

The problem for me is the copious amount of nuts, sweets, chocolates....different cravings!!
Old 11-12-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Thanks so much to everyone for their support! Tonight it's not been as bad. Things calming down now so hopefully will sleep well!

Have a good Sober Sunday wherever you are!

Old 11-12-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm really glad you didn't Six

D

Me also D. Thanks
Old 11-12-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Good morning all.
I am glad I quit on the first of November it is easier to keep track.

Have a good Sunday everyone. Thanks to everyone for your post!
Old 11-12-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Well I'm back after relapsing on day 4. Its been a fairly regular pattern lately - stay sober through the first few days of the week and then fall towards the end of it. I realize I'm not staying focused enough on recovery day to day, so I'm going to remedy that in part by staying close to this site - making sure I spend time on here in the morning before work and in the evening after work. This coming weekend I have plans on Saturday too which should help give motivation to not fall off and use Thurs-Sat. Anyway thank you for listening.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Psyllium husks help. And drinking loads of water.

There's a forum post here about it. It says quite often, this too shall pass...he he!
Hahaha! I have drank loads of milk of magnesia! And loads of water and green tea 🍵
Old 11-12-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Hi. Susie and Loui, Could it be that you are retaining water? After years of alcohol, the body has a tendency to retain water when you stop drinking. Thanks to the kind folks here on SR, I've read that it takes 4 weeks for the fluid weight to go. I know myself, after a heavy night, I'd be 'thinner' in the morning but once I drank water, I'm big again. Hang in there! You have done much better than I have ever done. Your body will sort itself out eventually!
4 weeks, holy moly! Anyway, I figure one morning we will all wake up and be super fit hee hee and then we can tell others in the December class, oh it will come.... blah blah! I'm eating super healthy so maybe my body is in shock lol lol