Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #4

Old 12-06-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
I did such a good job of hiding the true extent of my drinking, that I'm not really sure if anybody else truly noticed or cared that I was slowly killing myself. I lost all trust in myself long before I finally stopped. Earning that trust back has been just one of the many benefits of my recovery journey.
^^^
This was/is me to a tee.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Cour, is this a nagging physical problem
90%. I have a dr's appt in Jan -- it's not so easy to get seen here as a new patient for non-emergencies.

My self-diagnosis tells me that I just need to get over myself No one wants a dank & depressed bunny for the holidays
Old 12-07-2017, 03:01 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post

My self-diagnosis tells me that I just need to get over myself
I oscillate between self delusions of grandeur and waves of personal ineptitude at times. Though totally opposite ends of the spectrum, the lines between them are extremely blurry at times and not clearly defined where one crosses into the other. The fact that I worry about this at all epitomizes my personal delusions of grandeur and I realize that I just need to drink my coffee and get on with the day.

Best wishes all!
Old 12-07-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Looks like we're all guilty of being human. Lord knows, I've tried to fight it. It's probably the main thing that kept me drinking all those years. As I approach the ripe old age of 52, I think I just might be learning a little self-acceptance and self-forgiveness. I always try to remind myself that life is a journey, not a destination. I'm glad you are all a part of it.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hey, gang. Thought I'd pop out a quick post as I begin my day at my office desk. Just got here and my office is only 20 minutes from home. Up at 6 AM and have been in quicksand since I woke up.

So, out of the blue, I have this feeling of gratitude and relief. Here I sit, albeit a bit tired today, but, I am SOBER. That in and of itself gave me joy.

Gots to roll. Catch up soon.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Carlos - I needed to see that! This afternoon I was annoyed by something hat someone I don’t know, who works at the same company as me, did - and I haven’t been able to shake this crabby feeling.

Then I went to the company Christmas party in the cafe, where everyone was drinking, and I was annoyed that I smelled wine everywhere.

I came home from work grumpy. Your post reminded me that none of that stuff that’s bothering me matters. All that matters is that I’m sober.

Once I peeled back the bs, today was actually a good day. I took ownership of a widespread problem, found a solution, and extolled my praises to my manager and his boss. I treated people with respect and dignity when explaining the impact of their errors on other people. I advised someone how to make meaningful connections with their peers. I was nice. I’m grateful for these opportunities to be helpful and be a better person.

Thanks for the reminder that it’s not always as bad as it seems!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Carlos - I needed to see that!
I went back many pages behind and I didn't find anyone named "Carlos"

Just curious... who is it?
(or maybe I need glasses...)
Old 12-07-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

CK - IWLSAST goes by Carlos. To add to the confusion, neither are his real name!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
CK - IWLSAST goes by Carlos. To add to the confusion, neither are his real name!
Aaaah OK, that was hard to guess!
Good news : I won't need new glasses!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Sorry for the confusion, CK!

That was a very inspiring way to pull a rotten day out of the gutter and turn it completely around, Glee!

I’m tired and have depleted all of my energy—but I took my final today and got a 96 (in the interest of full disclosure, it was an open-notes exam! ).

Tomorrow: the paper!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Way to go Gilmer! That is amazing and you should be proud.

Nice job of turning your thought train around and making it a good day!

Hi Carlos!

Good night everyone!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  
p***enger

^^^ no worries, Koala. Me, I can never put that string of letters together -- IWLST, IWLSAT, IWLAST? so that's why I use Carlos. IWLSAST must stand for something... Carlos, what is it?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  
p***enger

Awesome performance Gilmer!

Glee, praise to you for a good attitude, and therefore a good day.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Whenever I have a bad day, I just remember that I'm sober. Cheers me right up.

Had a little adventure yesterday. As my boss was loading Fran out of the van yesterday, she slid out of her chair and ended up on the cold ground. I was called into action to help get her back in her chair and into the house. It was a bit of a struggle, but we managed to get her in safe and sound.

Have a great Friday, all!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Never a dull day, eh, FBL?! Glad you were able to help with Fran.

Finally, a day off. Lots of things I should be doing, but sitting here instead drinking coffee and reading SR. I need this time to myself each day. May hit a noontime meeting later on.

Have a great day all!
Old 12-08-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 296 (permalink)  
p***enger

FBL, it's lucky for Fran that you were nearby. Pats on the back, all 'round

stargazer, good you're feeling more settled with the meds. As you advised FBL after the drinking dream shook him up, and I agreed: now when you're just starting to feel more solidly sober again may *not* be the time to cut back on sobriety tools, e.g., meetings. A classic move of the alcoholic brain is that suddenly the desperation disappears, and we think, "well that's over and done." But is there still a germ inside, waiting for the next opportunity? Yes. IMO, there always are.

Once a pickle, never a cucumber.

FBL, I entirely trust that your response to getting rattled by a dream was 100% appropriate for you. As I think Glee said, we shouldn't take our dreams too seriously. If we did, I'd be on death row
Old 12-08-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

The dream didn't really rattle me too much. Did make me think though. It's always good to keep my recovery in mind. I honestly haven't had a drinking thought pop into my head for at least a couple of years now. Too busy enjoying life these days. I never want to go back, but I never want to forget either.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post

Once a pickle, never a cucumber.
OMG, this is an instant classic courage!

Went to the noontime meeting and it was a great topic (tolerance of others, and self tolerance) and I force myself to speak most of the time. I totally agree courage that our brains will always opt for the easy way out whenever possible. I have a ways to go.

FBL, and courage too, there is a local college station that has been playing 70's music from A-Z for like ten days already and it's still going on. Remember "Playground in my Mind" by Clint Holmes? I used to hear that song all the time on my AM radio in 1972. It's funny hearing the Ramones followed by Jim Croce. Love me my 70's music.

This pickle has some laundry to do. And possibly set up a tree. Finally getting just a smidgen of the holiday spirit.

Thanks everyone!

Enjoy the rest of your workdays.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
FBL, and courage too, there is a local college station that has been playing 70's music from A-Z for like ten days already and it's still going on. Remember "Playground in my Mind" by Clint Holmes? I used to hear that song all the time on my AM radio in 1972. It's funny hearing the Ramones followed by Jim Croce. Love me my 70's music.
I love those A-Z radio deals. You usually get to hear stuff you normally wouldn't on a daily basis. I have thousands of songs on my hard-drive at work from 1950-present. I'm a child of the 70s and 80s and will listen mostly to songs from 1974-84, but I can find something I like from just about any era.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

FormerBeerLover,

OH MY GOSH! Umm, hubby is a beer lover but not to excess. I'm sorry, I'm interfering with your thread... my apologies in advance...

OMGOSH! I love your Avatar!!!

*escapes w/o detection* bwa ha ha