Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #4

Old 12-09-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Snow really makes me come alive (this was a painless, 3” snow in DC).

I don’t even lift an eyebrow at the holiday season, but impending snow: I start bustling around and running to the store and letting drivers go in front of me!

I even bought a box of hot cocoa with mini-marshmallows!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

More work on my project today.

Have a great Sunday, all!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Quit young!
Ha ha!

Have a good Sunday Power Sober people!
Old 12-10-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Quit young!
True that!

But quit anytime you can. I have been beating myself up at times in my recovery for drinking so late into my life. I dream of the lost opportunities I missed out on and wonder where I could be now if I wasn't forever chasing a buzz.

It is what it is. I am grateful to slowly being able to carve a new path out for myself, even at this stage of my life. It's never too late to excel in whatever position we find ourselves in currently, and to build or rebuild relationships broken down by drunken neglect. Sometimes, I need to remind myself to stop with the poor me mental refrains, and go out there and be proactive in my life.

Life shouldn't be a spectator sport.

Just cleaned off the car after our big 3 inch snow storm. Not especially feeling it today, but I am back off tomorrow so I have that nugget in the back of my brain to keep me smiling today. Plus, I woke up sober today and hangover free.

Life is good.

Enjoy the day all!
Old 12-10-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Yesterday my self will ran riot and my frustrations of the last several weeks boiled over. I read the riot act to a mom whose kid’s appalling penalties and tantrums are ruining the team’s reputation, then stomped over to a dad / coach and read him the riot act.

Someone posted something on social media that didn’t say my name or the organization’s name but was directed at me.

I’m pretty sure I’m walking into something nasty this morning. It’s my fault. I’m pretty bummed.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I had to search on Google the meaning of "read the riot act"
"To scold, reprimand, or reprove someone severely for an error or mistake"
(I'm learning English every day on SR)
Okkk...I see...you're going through rough moments

It will pass Glee, breathe deeply!
Old 12-10-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

A couple things come to mind when I read your post, Glee. Firstly, that it is progress, not perfection. Here's what I mean. A close friend of mine told me she felt a need to see a therapist or get a life coach when we walked this week. I asked what prompted that thought. She said that she started her yesterday with meditation and resolved that she wanted to improve and brighten everyone's day that she encountered. She finds herself running late for a meeting and stops to replace her cell charger - dying phone. Busy store and circumstances led her to snap out. In her eyes, she needed help, was a failure. In my eyes, she is on the perfect path and just slid off.

She is on her way to peace - her goal - just by her desired focus...in my eyes. That she slipped is human. Haha, don't drink and get back on the path...well, she isn't alkie, but does smoke pot. So, Glee...give yourself a break, apologize if appropriate, don't drink and jump back on the path.

Secondly, I'm old and forgetful and I forgot my initial train after point one elaboration. Probs not that important a point, right...

I needed to work through something this morning and the answer was right there. I was trying to fix something out of my control. Oh my, I thought it was so darn important...all I really needed to do was accept and let go. Problem solved. It really wasn't that easy...it took stages and a real healthy conversation with a trusted advisor to feel good about my feelings.

In other news, wasn't easy, but I stepped out of my comfort zone last evening and did what I postponed for over a week. Felt good to check that box.

Well, off to cooking, writing cards to a couple close friends and family, wrapping Hanukkah gifts for kids and grandkids, laundry, sifting through like 3 months of mail that arrived from PA yesterday.

Geeze, if I was still drinking I'd want to do none of these things and might kick and scream to get one done. Sober, today - bring it on. My reward is to be finished by Steeler kickoff at 8:10 PM.

Have a good one, all.

Carlos
Old 12-10-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
p***enger

Glee, I hope the scene you stepped into this morning wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. Maybe you were the brief storm that cleared the air.

But you would be wise to work on your resentments in the program, and here, not dump them on the people places or things involved. "If you are disturbed by any external thing, it is not the thing that disturbs you, but your own judgment about it." IMO, the universe is best served when I spend my efforts making my self better, not trying to make others.

My husband advised me the other day to sit on my hands, literally. And he said, if I had the itch to speak out, I should pinch my own butt instead!
Old 12-10-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

My husband advised me the other day to sit on my hands, literally. And he said, if I had the itch to speak out, I should pinch my own butt instead!
courage.

Stay on my pillow! If it's off the pillow, it's not up to me.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Stay on my pillow! If it's off the pillow, it's not up to me.
Aw bim, you don't know how many people I've told, "I know a wise woman who says, 'Not on my pillow!'" -- and the look they give me...
Old 12-10-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noone promised us sainthood in recovery Glee.
I know you'll mend fences and deal with the fallout in a good and heartfelt way.

D
Old 12-11-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Glee

Got to see the doctor later this morning for my 6 month blood pressure check. Then it's back to the book project. Each day gets me a little closer to completion.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:08 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

((((Glee))))

I hope everyone has a good day today. How are you doing, JL?
Old 12-11-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

As I’ve mentioned, I’m working on a paper. I’ve accumulated many pages of notes.

I’m in a bit of a fuddle.

Such a classic recovery metaphor:

1) I need to step back and take a breath.
2) I need to calm myself and assess what’s really important.
3) I need to steel myself to focus on that.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
p***enger

Sounds like a plan, Gilmer. When are you due?

I'm trying to get a paper out by the end of next week. So we're in the same boat.

FBL, can you lend us a little of your clear-thinking and enthusiasm?
Old 12-11-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Wishing everyone wisdom and success in overcoming the obstacles that lie in front of them in the coming days and weeks.

Had a parent teacher conference this morning involving my daughter. She is in the fifth grade and doing so well in school, and not just grade wise. Her teachers commented repeatedly on her leadership skills and team building talent. At such a young age, she has such a bright future, if she can avoid being a teenage mother or a drunk like me. I guess only time will tell.

Think I will hit a noontime meeting being as I'm off today. Have to keep moving forward. I am in a much better spot than I have been in recently, and I thank the folks here on POST for helping me through a difficult period. You people rock!

Have a great day all!
Old 12-11-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Star, sounds like you have a great daughter. You should be very proud.

Gil & Courage, best of luck on your projects! Wish I had some magic words about such things. I used to procrastinate quite a bit in school with term papers and such. I love my work, so getting it done is not a problem. The boss will always ask me how long I think it will take and he trusts me to give him a realistic time frame. Of course, he then holds me to it no matter what comes along, thus I end up putting in more time. Don't know how I would handle it if I didn't love it. I guess just make the time and get 'er done!

Passed everything with flying colors at the doc. He still can't believe I'm the same guy that first saw him nearly 9 years ago with horrible test results, thanks to my drinking. Another benefit of living in recovery!
Old 12-11-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on a clean bill of health FBL!

How are you making out Glee?

Good luck on your papers Courage and Glee!

Enjoy the evening everyone.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

My words fall short of the heartfelt thanks I wish to extend to everyone here. I really appreciate the encouragement, the reminders that it’s ok to make a mistake, the advice on how to handle resentments, and just the good vibes overall. It means so much to me.

It steeled me through my uncomfortable feelings yesterday as I walked into the rink. Turns out it wasn’t the nightmare I worried it might be.

One person said they wish they had the guts to stand beside me in agreement. That meant a lot!

Another person wrote a letter to the organization president (behind his wife’s back, she wanted him to stay out of it).

Someone else lodged a complaint that I attacked a parent in public.

And I was vindicated. At the two games that followed, one of the kids was benched by a coach and the other ejected and suspended by an official. That’s hardly a win, but what I am complaining about continued to unfold.

It also was a storm that cleared the air, or at least got a breeze blowing. I met with the president and Vice President on Sunday, where I was able to fully articulate my concerns and ensure that he understood them. He is holding a meeting for all the parents tonight to say that some players on the team have serious behavioral problems and tell parents the steps that are being taken to resolve it.

I am aiming to be calm and objective this evening, reasonable, helpful, and kind. To only say something that will add value and quiet if appropriate. I am also steeling myself for a personal attack by one of the moms, who’s as nortoriously unhinged as her son.

She and I are probably not that different from one another.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post

She and I are probably not that different from one another.

Nice thought, glee. Empathy is a good attitude to enter with.