Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #4

Old 11-27-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
p***enger

I hope I never gave a drunkalogue as a speaker. We all have so much of the Experience part, and we're so fascinated with ourselves LOL -- it's hard to resist. But what's there to learn from? Bad ideas don't teach how to have good ones.

Even so, I'm glad you got in *both* a meeting and a jumping-party, JL!
Old 11-27-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Went to a lunch time meeting today. As it was, it was a "Traditions" meeting discussing one of the 12 traditions. I still related to the shares and was glad to attend. Totally different vibe from my previous meeting. And not a cuss word, lol.

Enjoy the afternoon all!
Old 11-27-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Fbl - I’m glad Fern has a beautiful service.

SG - It took me a while to fully relate to the literature. A gentleman who was usually fairly quiet opened up one day about the inner peace and self esteem he had as a result of the program. I could tell he was sharing straight from the heart. I thought that any program that could offer that was worth a try. When I stopped rolling my eyes at the old timey language, and stopped sneering at the program slogans, and started trying to understand it and embrace it, I benefited. For me, recovery has been a series of awakenings with diligent work in between. Like I come here everyday even when nothing happened. If I think hard enough I can usually think of a way recovery touched my life that day.

JL - I hope you’re feeling better today! AA is such a nice boost. My uncle was a firefighter in an impoverished urban area. I know he credits AA keeping him sane through all the tragedy. When he retired he became a counselor at a drug and alcohol rehab facility.

Courage - Said uncle has massive amounts of recovery under his belt, but I’ve never told him that I’m in recovery, much less the program. Do I shut people out, or is he not safe to tell? Dunno.

Gilmer - Are you head’s down with school at the moment?

Carlos - I love, love, love that you heard from your oldest! A huge thing to be thankful for!

Dee - Thanks for keeping an eye on us.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

I’m in the final quarter of this class. I can actually see progress, and there have been a couple of encouraging things lately. Two weeks left of lessons, then the final and then a paper. Then done by Christmas.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Have a great Tuesday, gang!
Old 11-28-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post

SG - It took me a while to fully relate to the literature. A gentleman who was usually fairly quiet opened up one day about the inner peace and self esteem he had as a result of the program. I could tell he was sharing straight from the heart. I thought that any program that could offer that was worth a try. When I stopped rolling my eyes at the old timey language, and stopped sneering at the program slogans, and started trying to understand it and embrace it, I benefited. For me, recovery has been a series of awakenings with diligent work in between. Like I come here everyday even when nothing happened. If I think hard enough I can usually think of a way recovery touched my life that day.
This is beautifully written and really hits home for me, thanks Glee. I too am wondering a little about the stilted writings and some of the slogans and rituals, but the folks I have met at these meetings have had their lives changed for the better. Whom am I to judge? Take what you need and leave the rest. I seem to feel a very powerful, stabilizing feeling of peace after attending a meeting. Maybe, just maybe, I am on to something?

I think my recovery was a series of awakenings with diligent work in between. I stopped doing any work recently, so, not surprisingly, I haven't felt any personal awakenings flow over me like in the early sobriety years. Perhaps going to meetings will be the spark to ignite both personal growth and a reawakening inside me.

The whole sponsor idea and working on the steps is too foreign and radical an idea for me to wrap my head around at this time. Yet, I feel uniquely compelled to attend meetings, and am disappointed my work schedule won't allow me to do so until this weekend.

Thank you for shining a light down a hallway that I need to investigate.

Best wishes for a great day all!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
p***enger

The thing about the slogans is they sound so stupid and... slogan-y... but there's a nugget in each of them. I used to set up the room for my homegroup & put the slogans out for display -- they were funky old semi-laminated cardboard things with wobbly cardboard easel backs, at least 30 years old, and there were lots of them, like 11. The table only had room for 3 and one of the high points of setting up -- there were so many! -- was choosing which got pride of place on the table, and which ended up propped up on the windowsill or along the baseboard of the -- of course -- church basement.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

When newcomers come in, our meetings will swap to a step 1 meeting, or the like. I always try to share my crazy head attitudes about slogans, at first. I even grew up hearing them in meetings my parents went to “ for my brother”. Lol
I’ll recall how stupid, hokey, whatever. Now I couldn’t go without em. I’m so happy to be wrong, these days !!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
I’m so happy to be wrong, these days !!
Big thumbs up!
Old 11-28-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Late night of work, but ended up well. Drinking urges have greatly lessened and I think my issues may be more depression centered than I initially realized. At times I was unsure if I drank so much because I was depressed, or if drinking so much caused my depression. I know my depressive states have greatly lessened in duration and frequency since I stopped drinking until recently. Fortunately, I have a doctor appointment next week and I will get his advice on possible courses of action.

Let me be the first to wish everyone a wonderful Hump Day!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:06 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

I’m glad, SG. It could well be a depression!

I hope you all have a good day/evening today.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Best of luck with the doc, Star!

Have a great Wednesday, friends!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
At times I was unsure if I drank so much because I was depressed, or if drinking so much caused my depression.
Seems like a good idea to talk to a doctor, SG.

I made a dr's appt too. I don't have a regular dr -- occasionally I've seen my son's dr, but he's a little odd -- he had the unusual honor of being physician to the Black Panthers in his youth -- anyway, I thought I should go more mainstream. So it's a "new patient" visit, with the complaint "neck pain."

Does that describe what I have or what I am?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

LOL!

It’s strictly a pleasure dealing with you, Cour, not a pain!

But your neck is worrisome, and I’m glad you’re seeing the doctor about it.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

SG, I’m glad you’re going to the Doc.

I tried to come off a med I’d taken for years, while drinking, thinking ALL my issues were from drinking only. (HA !). After 2 weeks I cussed so bad even my dog was ashamed ! Lol
Now, farther along, I’m very much better off, as my thinking has changed and eased up.
A real character of a older guy who’s known for a very unstable mental state, but lives well with a program, told me “ Man, NEVER quit taking your crazy pills. Uh, uh, don’t. “. Made me laugh at my thinking, I’m “well”.
Rambling, sorry.
I hope good things for your visit !
Old 11-29-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Carlos - I love, love, love that you heard from your oldest! A huge thing to be thankful for!
Oh, Glee, sweetie...I am pretty sure that I've not bent anyone's ear more than yours as I navigate the trials and tribulations with LRCB.

It was a sweet note and quite unexpected. What is really helping now is the recovery principal that I need not have any expectations beyond that note. Crazy, but it really seems to be working.

What do they say....Time Takes Time

Cour, best with that neck pain visit. I have a pain in my neck from time to time and if they cut me open they would find a pic of.......kidding. Glad you are next stepping this pain.

Star, AA meetings for me are always a quest to find nuggets. Additionally, there are few of those nuggets that I left in the rooms those early days that now seem to make perfect sense. I love AA...and I'm on an extended break from my home group. Andy, a real old timer from PA said at like every share he offered- meeting makers make it. I agree.

Busy day and time for some mindless netflix.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:43 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Courage - That is old-timey font perfection! My favorite slogans are ‘one day at a time’ and ‘this too shall pass.’

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
Star, AA meetings for me are always a quest to find nuggets. Additionally, there are few of those nuggets that I left in the rooms those early days that now seem to make perfect sense.
Carlos - You truly are a kindred spirit, a brotha from another mother. I kid you not I just used the [/U]exact same wording[/U], referreing to finding “nuggets” in AA meetings.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Seems like a good idea to talk to a doctor, SG.

I made a dr's appt too. I don't have a regular dr -- occasionally I've seen my son's dr, but he's a little odd -- he had the unusual honor of being physician to the Black Panthers in his youth -- anyway, I thought I should go more mainstream. So it's a "new patient" visit, with the complaint "neck pain."

Does that describe what I have or what I am?
I bet that doctor could really tell some crazy stories. I am glad you are getting your neck pain checked out!

Just got home and I will be back for another ten hours in ten hours!
I should probably get some sleep as soon as I wind down.

Sweet dreams everyone!
Old 11-30-2017, 03:01 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Meeting with the IT guy soon to set up our new computer server. The old one lasted 10 years, hopefully this one will last even longer.

Have a great day, fellow Posties!
Old 11-30-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good luck with the server FBL. Ten years is like thirty years in computer world. Still punching IBM cards, lol?

Best wishes for a good day all.