Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 13

Old 11-17-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your upcoming year Nands

D
Old 11-18-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I don't post anymore Nands just read from time to time but couldn't let your post go unattended. A year is a miraculous achievement and deserves every occolade.

I am so very happy for you Nands, truly happy. Alcohol dependence is a terrible thing and to overcome it not easy. Both of us know this to our core. Congratulations, you deserve every moment of that (nearly) year.

I'm still sober as from May Day '17 so nearly have 7 months up my sleeve and am still cigarette free - a little over 9 weeks. At my age even if it only offers me 2 extra days of life the money saved is so worth it. Also great to smell good and no longer feel like a pariah lurking furtively behind pillar and post.

I rejoice in the fact that I am no longer contributing to the coffers of the cigarette companies who would see us die for a buck, less than a buck. Things is good.

Well done Nands, can't keep a good girl down. My garden is doing well too. It's Spring in Australia.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it

D
Old 11-27-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Morning Nobenders,

Have just rescinded my embership from SR but wanting to wish everyone the very best. But you'd know that about me I'd hope

Still sober, lovin' it, and 10 weeks off cigarettes. Lovin' that too.

It's just not for me, whilst sobriety is.

Rock on.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hey there everyone.... However many are still lurking around haha. I haven't been into visiting lately but I wanted to check in and just say I'm doing ok and chugging along here.
I have a flea infestation in my house. My cat (who yes is on flea meds and has a flea collar) is just falling victim to the mutant bugs we have here in Louisiana. I don't know what to do. I vinegar and mop and spray and launder until I have no money left.
I'm trying to not freak out about these things that I can't control. I'm doing my very best

Also R and I broke up, and got back together. Ayayay. Still putting myself first. But we are crazy about each other. And just plain crazy.

I hope you're all well.

Love Plenny
Old 12-03-2017, 09:40 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear from you Plenny - sorry about the fleas tho...

D
Old 12-25-2017, 09:34 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, whatever you prefer. Happy soberdays.

Hit my one year anni on Nov 19, so 13+ months without a drink.

Take it easy
Old 12-25-2017, 09:46 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your milestone LSW

D
Old 01-30-2018, 04:37 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I thought I would drop in to say hi and see how everyone was doing. Congrats to all who have made huge progress. Steely, to quit smoking is amazing. So happy for you.
Last year was mostly sober for me, I slipped, went back to rehab, found out i was pregnant while in rehab so drinking was definitely off the table for me. It was easy not to drink given I had a bun in the oven. Then 10 weeks later (right before xmas) my second ultrasound couldn’t find a heartbeat suffice to say I dived right back into self destruct mode. I don’t handle grief, death, crisis etc well at all.
On a good note I am heading back to another rehab which has an awesome reputation so this time next month I will be on the sober band wagon again. Need to get my body healthy so I can have a child.
Wish me luck nobenders however many of you are left.
Love you all xoxo
Old 01-31-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I'm sorry things are rough for you poppy! The important thing when you fall down is to get back up. I believe you will find long term sobriety and some peace because you have that never give up attitude!

I have, let me think.... 14 months right now. K has asked that I post more on SR as I seem to do better when I do (instead of being very blah about everything). I don't really know why it is so hard for me. One of the 3 main pieces of Buddhism is Dana (not sure on the spelling) - that is giving or charity or kindness to others.

Wanted to check in and will try to post more on other threads soon.

Love Nands
Old 01-31-2018, 10:09 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

It makes me so happy that most of you are going great guns at sobriety. Sad that this thread has dwindled but I suppose it is to be expected maybe.
Congrats Nands on hitting the 1 year mark. Woo hoo
Old 02-01-2018, 02:44 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Poppy.

D
Old 02-01-2018, 02:45 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Nands - I'm thrilled for you

D
Old 02-08-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. It hit hard but I’m a trooper and not giving up. Finally learning meditation and mindfulness which is helping a lot. Onwards and upwards
Old 02-08-2018, 10:04 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I am here Poppy with hugs your way. I am posting in several threads here trying to keep the complacency monster away. I learned that if I stray I pay, so SR is a daily ritual for me.

Meditation has saved my but* more times than I can count especially at work.

Glad to see you posting and remember your never alone here.

Badge
Old 02-09-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi Badge and Poppy!

Poppy - I'm glad that you are finding meditation and mindfulness helpful. I use those tools. I listen to Ajan Sumedo as much as I can. You can find his talks on YouTube by searching his name. Another good one is Ajan Amaro.

You don't have to be Buddhist to get a lot of out of the reflections they give. It has become the base of my sobriety (again). It is teaching me a new way to deal with my personality parts that trip me up. It helps me with guilt, being more honest, but mostly it simply gives me a different way to look at myself and the world around me without so much emotional turmoil. It helps me create less chaos in my life and helps me be more willing to accept changes in my life. All the things that use to be "reason's to drink - escape".

I try not to talk to much about this aspect of sobriety in theses sorts of direct words ... but just wanted to encourage you.

I also attend AA and have a sponsor, even though there is much that doesn't seem to fit my personal beliefs, even just looking at how I react teaches me about who and what I am and where I am going. It also gives me an opportunity to at least try and interact with others and be of help when I can.

I became depressed in the early fall and still feel like I could fall back into it quite easily (I do follow the medicine my psychiatrist recommends, but I can't tell if it helps much or not). I was able to hang in there by sporadic meditation/mindfulness and a very small amount of reflections by Sumedo & Amaro and others. And one meeting some weeks and some contact with the sponsor.

Things are starting to change for the better internally (though not so much in actions .... that will take a while) now that I am back to daily meditation and reflection.

One positive throughout this time has been that although I have reflected some on "why" I want to drink, and occasionally seen myself start to slow down when passing a liquor store or have a fleeting thought of what it would feel like to take just that 1st slug or 2 out of the bottle (like I would ever stop at that ) ....

I have not had any problem with having any strong desire to drink. Instead I have learned to see all the (self hatred, feelings of not being "safe", desire for the world to be different than it is.... ) that proceed the first drink and do my best to deal directly with those feelings and unrealistic expectations.

So I can get way lost at times in criticizing myself, but I can pull back and see a different way to look at it honestly without a bunch of emotional tornados.

Things get better (on the inside), but it does take a lot of time and work.

Sorry to go on so long. I guess I miss SR too

Old 02-10-2018, 12:04 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks Badge, you are a sweetie. And thanks Nands for those tips, I will definitely be looking into those you tube vids.
I started journaling this week, very basic stuff as I am new to writing down my thoughts and feelings etc. but I’m finding that helps.
Also learning about the science behind addiction and the brain is a real eye opener for me. For once in my life I don’t feel like a failure because I couldn’t ‘just stop drinking’ without lots of help. My neural pathways have changed so I have to create other pathways to help me stay sober.
xoxoxoxo
Old 02-10-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Only just realised this thread is active again. I'm so so sorry for your loss Poppy. I wish I had better words and wish I could do something to help. I'm sending you loads of positive vibes. You sound positive and strong. The rehab place sounds great and writing stuff down always helps me so I think that's a good idea.

Congrats on 14 months nands. You sound like you're doing really well.

Hello Badge, I see you on the 24 hour thread so I know you're working hard and doing well. I've missed all the Nobenders and it's great to say hello to you all again. I hope we can keep this thread going... you're all so awesome and helped me so much..you're very important to me.

Lots of love xxxxx
Old 02-18-2018, 08:13 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Heya Kenton 😊 great to see you here. Yes, let’s revive the thread.
I’ve finished my 10 day stint in rehab, it was amazing. So different to the other one I previously went to. I learnt all about the science behind addiction, ACT therapy. Everyone was so lovely and caring there.
A friend and I are looking at doing a neuro science course (she is a teacher) because it’s so darn interesting.
What’s the latest with you Kenton? Still going strong by the looks of it. Sooooo happy for you
Xoxo
Old 02-19-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

hello Poppy,, what is ACT therapy?

Kenton! Yes I absolutely love the 24 hour thread, to me its like being given a huge warm hug from your favorite person. Just reading all the positive posts, the love and encouragement. Makes me smile and banishes whatever nasty mood I am trying to talk myself into. The world needs much more of that! Love and encouragement,,,, not my nasty mood swings,,,, just clarifying

Badge