Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 13

Old 02-19-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Glad to see everyone!

I have been busy doing "home hospice" for my elderly dog for the past 4 days. It was good for me to see how peaceful a death can be when surrounded by family and seeing the process slowly wrap up. She needed aspirin occasionally, but did not have much pain. She was just old and it was time to go.

Today I need to take the body in to the vet for cremation. She was a very good dog for 15 years and deserved to be cared for at home with her puppy friend since the circumstances were not painful. I feel a lot more peace about this loss than any other loss I've had. I felt like caring for her was a thank you for her years of friendship.

I'm actually feeling good ... so no worries, and nope ... a drink never crossed my mind. I wanted to be with her, right were I was.

I'll try to post soon and would love to hear more from all of you.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss Nands one of my fur babies turns 15 this year and I cannot imagine life without her. So glad to hear that you are at peace with the loss and that it was painless, surrounded by loved ones.
Badge, ACT therapy is acceptance and commitment therapy. An extension of CBT, cognitive behaviour therapy. It’s very good from what I have experienced so far.
I might check out the 24 hour thread, keep reading about it but never really got into it
Old 02-19-2018, 01:09 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Nands. Which dog was it?

D
Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Wow, sorry for your loss Ananda, I agree with Poppy, my dogs are my everything.

Badge
Old 02-20-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

It was Nia - she must have been around 15:

Attachment 32794

We still have Gunny.

nia new.jpg
Old 02-20-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

OOOPs - here is Nia

Nia Nia New.jpg
Old 02-20-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Beautiful dogs Nands. Will you get another down the track?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:35 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Nands - I'm sure Nia had a great life

D
Old 02-21-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

The first dog I had, Buffy, I had put to sleep at the vet's (a nightmare) and went directly to the animal shelter. I wanted to look at one of the dogs out of the cage. The attendant brought me the wrong dog. She was a mother who had just been separated from her litter and was scheduled to be put to sleep in 24 hours. I took her home.

at some point the next door neibors asked us to watch their dog while they were out of town. They skipped out on their rent, and after 30 days (eviction legal issue) she became ours. She was 9 months old.

When Bodhi was put to sleep at home (an even worse nightmare), we waited a month... not sure 2 dogs was a good idea. Nia was lonely and we broke down and got a 1/2 saluki named Gunner to keep her company.

Now that Nia is dead, we will wait to see how Gunny does. I really want to get another dog ... I like them in twos as they exercise and play together. Since I can't afford to pay bills or take care of my medical needs (or my son's), it is probably not appropriate to take on the care of a second dog. That said ... I'm not sure I will be able to stay with just one for very long.

Sobriety is going ok. I just am not particularly "happy" lately. this is largely from making problems out of things instead of letting things be how they are. Things in life wearing out whether it is a furnace needing replaced, a dog needing to die or a heart needing a little tweek .... That is just the cycle of life. It can hurt or be irritating or cause different things to happen .... but I only suffer if I make a big problem of it.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:01 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I hear you Nands. Life can certainly be very rough at times. At least you are plodding along without being dragged under by alcohol. Life would be much worse if you were still drinking yeah.
I hope things turn around for you very soon xoxo
Old 02-21-2018, 10:51 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope things look up for you both

D
Old 03-02-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about Nia, Nands. I'm thinking of you. And Poppy and Badge. All is good with me.... we've been trapped indoors by the snow blizzards for the last 2 days but it looks like we might be able to get out tomorrow. I've loved lazing around watching movies but we need to get out soon. .... the kids have eaten almost all the food!! Wishing everyone a lovely weekend xxxx
Old 03-02-2018, 04:50 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope everyone has a good weekend

D
Old 03-03-2018, 09:06 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Kenton!

I must have been wrong to think you are in London .... or you are having unusual weather?

In Oxford snow was considered a rare event!

I'm doing ok. I try to remember to just move from task to task and phone call to phone call... didn't get all my calls and errands done this past week. ... but got some done!

I have to go to Topeka for 2 procedures and 1 appointment for my disability determination. My car is not really trustworthy for that sort of highway driving... so I am trying to find people who can drive me in their car.

Poppy - how is your ACT going? Acceptance of that the world is as it is and that I can't control and manipulate things to my liking, and being committed to spiritual growth are a huge part of staying sober for me. The more I accept reality, the better I can work within it.

Love you all!
Old 03-07-2018, 08:47 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi all,
I’ve been away for a good long time, was doing well, relapsed very recently. But decided to check in ASAP because I’ve always found this place a comfort during these times. Not sure what’s been going on in this thread, I left during a sparse time...
Anyway I think I’ll need to be in touch here and there
-Plenny
Old 03-08-2018, 02:28 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Plenny

D
Old 03-08-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Plenny!

I'm sorry to hear you had a relapse. I hope you have some time to look at what was happening around the time of the relapse and what things were working well for you on staying sober.

I know it was important for me after every relapse to get up and try again. Glad you are here and hope to see you posting.

Life is going OK for me.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:02 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hello all, keep checking in Plenny, new day new beginning. Today I hit the 5 month mark, seems so much longer. Really concentrating on not becoming complacent like I have done before which did me in. Otherwise not a lot new in the badgerden.

stay strong all
Old 03-10-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi everyone

D
Old 03-10-2018, 05:23 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Well, I have 2 dr. appts. this coming week

I noticed that I have been substituting drinking by binge watching Netflix! I'm ok with that for now since I now have 15 mths sober! I'm trying to deal with reality and it's problems, but I'm still overwhelmed. And when I am overwhelmed I accomplish little other than beating myself up some more!

I have to take another memory test for Disability Services ... they don't trust peoples own neuro-psychiatrists. I went in last week for them and now they want the more complex test... I hate doing the memory test because it causes me to become even more anxious and unhappy about my memory issues.

Well ... I'll just do the deal and hopefully they will make a determination soon...

Hope all is well for everyone!