Notices

On My Way # 6

Old 11-17-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

It was a hard exercise week and I'm taking today as a rest day.

No cooking tonight because I have a book club meeting. I finished the book this AM. :-)
Old 11-18-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Saturday morning gym fun. Five rounds of:

Jump squats
TRX table top rows
Push ups
Jumping jacks
Kb goblet squats
Kb swings
Planks

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled rib eye steaks with baked potatoes and maybe creamed spinach. Afterward my wife is going out with some women from the gym; my plans are to stay home and read.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Are you reading something for your book club, GC?
Old 11-19-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Are you reading something for your book club, GC?
We had a meeting Friday night and the book was The Short and Tragic Life of Robert Peace written by Jeff Hobbs. Coincidentally, the arc of the story in many ways is similar to our previous book club book, Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance, which was my choice, but unlike Mr. Vance's life this one had a tragic outcome. No need for a spoiler alert because the title indicates how things end.

Our next book has not been chosen, but I'm sure will be decided in the next few days.

Life

No social activity for me last night and I was in bed very early. My wWife and I were at the gym this morning for four rounds of:

Standing Db presses
Walkouts with a push up
Db two point rows
Burpees
Kb one leg deadlifts
Heavy rope outer circles
One arm Db squats

I'll likely take my dog on a few mile walk later today, but other than that I won't have much going on.

I'm in the mood for jambalaya, but don't have all the ingredients and don't feel like going to the market so unless that changes I'm going to have to come up with another plan. Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I was at the gym for my normally scheduled fun with my trainer. Three rounds of:

Incline Bb bench presses
Incline Bb skullcrushers
Kb squats
Pushups
Standing Db curls
Left and right side planks
Bicycles

That was the easy part of the morning because I then went to the supermarket. Holy cow! I don't remember it being so crowded before turkey day, but it was packed and the experience clearly wasn't for the faint of heart. I'd hate to have to go there on tomorrow or Wednesday.

It's a long-ish story, but we may be dog sitting our neighbor's son's dog starting tonight. Hopefully she and dear dog get along; our possible visitor is a rescue and has behavioral signs of being abused by her previous owner. She's about the same age and size as dear dog, but from what I've been is told skittish around people and other animals. A big F*&K You to whoever tormented this animal.

Dinner last night turned out to be chicken tacos. Tonight I'm making crab cakes with a salad.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

The son and DIL of our friends didn't arrive last night so we had no canine visitor. I'm no sure what's going to happen today, but unfortunately we have a funeral to attend tomorrow AM and won't be able to dog sit.

Exercise for the day will be a 1.5 mile round trip walk to meet a friend for breakfast, a 90 minute stint in a dentist chair as my mouth was stretched, poked, drilled, and prodded and a walk this afternoon with my dog.

My son got a generous offer for a career path position yesterday and we'll be going to a restaurant of his choice to celebrate so no cooking for me tonight.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
The son and DIL of our friends didn't arrive last night so we had no canine visitor. I'm no sure what's going to happen today, but unfortunately we have a funeral to attend tomorrow AM and won't be able to dog sit.

Exercise for the day will be a 1.5 mile round trip walk to meet a friend for breakfast, a 90 minute stint in a dentist chair as my mouth was stretched, poked, drilled, and prodded and a walk this afternoon with my dog.

My son got a generous offer for a career path position yesterday and we'll be going to a restaurant of his choice to celebrate so no cooking for me tonight.
Congratulations to your son, GC.

Fantastic news
Old 11-21-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I was at the gym for my normally scheduled fun with my trainer. Three rounds of:

Incline Bb bench presses
Incline Bb skullcrushers
Kb squats
Pushups
Standing Db curls
Left and right side planks
Bicycles

That was the easy part of the morning because I then went to the supermarket. Holy cow! I don't remember it being so crowded before turkey day, but it was packed and the experience clearly wasn't for the faint of heart. I'd hate to have to go there on tomorrow or Wednesday.

It's a long-ish story, but we may be dog sitting our neighbor's son's dog starting tonight. Hopefully she and dear dog get along; our possible visitor is a rescue and has behavioral signs of being abused by her previous owner. She's about the same age and size as dear dog, but from what I've been is told skittish around people and other animals. A big F*&K You to whoever tormented this animal.

Dinner last night turned out to be chicken tacos. Tonight I'm making crab cakes with a salad.
It is incomprehensible that any one could abuse such wonderful,creatures.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Congratulations to your son, GC.

Fantastic news
It is incomprehensible that any one could abuse such wonderful,creatures.
Thanks about my son.

Regarding the animals I'm of the same mind as you; there are some truly evil people.

Today

I was at the gym before 6 to get a workout done before driving almost 2.5 hours to the funeral of a good friend's father. The drive home was even a bit longer with a lot of it being stop and go. I don't regret going for a nano second, but I'm pretty tired so it likely won't be a late night.

No cooking for me tonight because both kids are going to dinner with my sister and my wife and I are still full from a post burial lunch we had that the family of the deceased hosted at a local to them restaurant.

Since I haven't been running I will not be participating in the annual 8k turkey trot that I've done for years, but will go to the gym.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Sleep well tonight, GC.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Sleep well tonight, GC.
I did.

Today

My Thanksgiving workout is complete and now it's time to start phase 2 of the day which will entail consuming the calories I burned while at the gym.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Today's going to be a low key exercise day: some walking, pushups, and planks.

Continuing our family tradition I always get the turkey carcasses and shank bones from the ham because nobody else wants them. Adhering to the request of my daughter we'll being having corn chowder tonight using a broth made from the turkey carcasses; we have a lot of bread in the house so I cancelled my plans to make a dark rye bread.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Today's going to be a low key exercise day: some walking, pushups, and planks.

Continuing our family tradition I always get the turkey carcasses and shank bones from the ham because nobody else wants them. Adhering to the request of my daughter we'll being having corn chowder tonight using a broth made from the turkey carcasses; we have a lot of bread in the house so I cancelled my plans to make a dark rye bread.
I love how enthusiastic your children are with their meal requests.

They must love your cooking!!!!!
Old 11-25-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I love how enthusiastic your children are with their meal requests.

They must love your cooking!!!!!
Since I'm cooking almost every day it's sometimes hard to come up with a fresh idea so their input helps.

I'm not sure what I'll be making tonight, but it won't be anything too involved.

Today

The action portion of the day started with 60 minutes of working out. Shortly after that me, my wife, and dog went on a 3 mile walk to take advantage of the gorgeous weather we're experiencing today.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Another solid workout at the gym this morning. Aside from some light house stuff that will likely be the extent of my movement for the day.

Dinner last night was pan seared shrimp in a reduction sauce from shrimp shells I made a couple of weeks ago which was served over angel hair pasta. There was a romaine lettuce salad also. Tonight will likely be sockeye salmon that will be hot smoked with fresh lemons and I'll also serve both white and green asparagus. First time we've had the white variety and I'm interested to see if I can notice any difference.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I do notice a difference between white and green but it us more in texture; maybe because it is peeled before cooking. The time I tried it may not have been peeled sufficiently. My husband can ascertain no difference at all.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Let me know what you think.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

I do notice a difference between white and green but it us more in texture; maybe because it is peeled before cooking. The time I tried it may not have been peeled sufficiently. My husband can ascertain no difference at all.
Wowza, thanks for that tip. I haven't looked up recipes, but had no idea the white ones needed to be peeled. We won't be eating until about 7:30 so I likely won't post here until tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Let me know what you think.
We each could tell the differences in taste and texture between the two varieties. Maybe due to familiarity the consensus was for the green, but there was nothing wrong with the white. Given that the white is usually more expensive and you have to peel it, something I did not know when I bought it :, I don't think I'll be bringing it into the house again.

Today

While I'm tired from the previous days' exercises I'll be at the gym later this morning to have more "fun" with my trainer. An update about that will follow.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

After warm ups I did 3 rounds of:

Standing Db shoulder presses
Standing Bb curls
Db bench rows
Push ups
Db shoulder laterals
Planks
Bicycles
Supermans

In about 30 minutes I'm going to take a 2 mile round trip walk to do an errand.

Dinner tonight is going to be breaded and baked chicken breasts with a to be determined veggie.