Notices

On My Way # 6

Old 10-10-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Yes it is. When we moved here both my wife and I worked in Manhattan and wanted to be within walking distance of either a bus or train so that we didn't have to buy another car. As it turned out we have easy access to both modes. My little commercial area starts about 2/3rds of a mile from my house and extends another half mile or so. Easily walkable and at the top of my little block starting only a few hundred yards away is a 350 acre wooded reservation that has nice hiking trails and wildlife with an Audubon Society bird watch center at the top . Bird watching isn't necessarily my thing, in part because I don't have the knowledge to know what I'm looking at, but the enthusiasm and friendliness of the folks who frequent the spot are off the charts and make visits there very enjoyable. An additional bonus of my situation is that I'm on a low traffic block; for the most part unless you live on it there's no reason to drive on it. The only downside, which has always been the case with this town, is that our real estate taxes a stupidly high.

Today

After almost a week my daughter's boyfriend left a short while ago. She's not happy, but I'm sure will somehow survive.
Very nice living situation!

I would love to have no need for a car
Old 10-10-2017, 11:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Very nice living situation!

I would love to have no need for a car
It is a nice situation. As with every place my town is not without its internal problems, but we're very happy here and will be in the house for at least another 5-6 years.

Not having a car here would be totally impractical, but I do enjoy the fact that I can walk to take care of most errands. If I was only shopping for one I could also do my market shopping without a car, but with four in the house I let one of my internal combustion engines do the heavy lifting to my driveway.

Staying on the car theme, when graduated college I only considered employment in Manhattan, which I secured, and I also spent a lot of social time there, but I never wanted to live there because it would have meant giving up my car. As much as I loved spending time in the city I equally enjoyed going away on weekends or vacations to the woods and not having a car would have denied me the opportunity to do so. My compromise is that I lived very close to the city so I could keep my car and still have easy access to Manhattan to work and play.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It is a nice situation. As with every place my town is not without its internal problems, but we're very happy here and will be in the house for at least another 5-6 years.

Not having a car here would be totally impractical, but I do enjoy the fact that I can walk to take care of most errands. If I was only shopping for one I could also do my market shopping without a car, but with four in the house I let one of my internal combustion engines do the heavy lifting to my driveway.

Staying on the car theme, when graduated college I only considered employment in Manhattan, which I secured, and I also spent a lot of social time there, but I never wanted to live there because it would have meant giving up my car. As much as I loved spending time in the city I equally enjoyed going away on weekends or vacations to the woods and not having a car would have denied me the opportunity to do so. My compromise is that I lived very close to the city so I could keep my car and still have easy access to Manhattan to work and play.
Good compromise, GC.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good compromise, GC.
Thanks. Every once in a while I make a good decision. :-)
Old 10-10-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks. Every once in a while I make a good decision. :-)
My guess is that good decisions are a fairly frequent thing for you
Old 10-10-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My guess is that good decisions are a fairly frequent thing for you
Thanks for your kind words. And you're right; sometimes I just like to make fun of myself.

Tonight

It's going to be an early night because I'll be at the gym by 5:30 tomorrow AM and I'm way past the age where I can just pop out of bed and be ready. Dinner is going to be sautéed shrimp, sweet Italian sausage, red bell pepper, and garlic served with a light shrimp sauce served over grits.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

By around 5 AM I was lugging boxes and contractor bags up from my basement to my front porch so they were ready to be picked up for charity. Why so early? Because I then went to the gym for a 6 AM class and afterward did some errands and wanted to make sure that everything was where it needed to be. The class was more stamina than strength oriented. Two circuits containing six exercises each with the only rest being a brief one between the change in circuits.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Way too early!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Way too early!!!!!!!
Agree that it is early. Thirty years ago I used to wake up about that time for work. Fortunately that only lasted about three years, but when it's your reality you get used to it. When in hard core marathon or century ride training I would wake up about that time also, but I'm totally out of that groove and not being as young as I used to be I need to make sure I at least attempt to get a decent amount of sleep so Tuesday nights have become early to bed ones for me. That's the downside, but the upside is that by the time 8:30 AM on Wednesday rolls around I've already gotten 60 minutes of hard core exercise completed as well as the major food shop for the week, including putting all the groceries away.

Today

Our new washing machine has arrived and the expensive piece of shxt old one has been removed. Truthfully, longevity issues aside it was a very good machine, but still good riddance. The charity pick up of the stuff I put out at 5 AM is still sitting on my porch, but as long as it's taken today I'm okay with that.

I'm not sure about dinner, but I'm leaning toward doing something with chicken breasts and veggies.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Agree that it is early. Thirty years ago I used to wake up about that time for work. Fortunately that only lasted about three years, but when it's your reality you get used to it. When in hard core marathon or century ride training I would wake up about that time also, but I'm totally out of that groove and not being as young as I used to be I need to make sure I at least attempt to get a decent amount of sleep so Tuesday nights have become early to bed ones for me. That's the downside, but the upside is that by the time 8:30 AM on Wednesday rolls around I've already gotten 60 minutes of hard core exercise completed as well as the major food shop for the week, including putting all the groceries away.

Today

Our new washing machine has arrived and the expensive piece of shxt old one has been removed. Truthfully, longevity issues aside it was a very good machine, but still good riddance. The charity pick up of the stuff I put out at 5 AM is still sitting on my porch, but as long as it's taken today I'm okay with that.

I'm not sure about dinner, but I'm leaning toward doing something with chicken breasts and veggies.
Be sure the charity designation tag(s) haven't blown away; that has happened to me a couple of times
Old 10-11-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Be sure the charity designation tag(s) haven't blown away; that has happened to me a couple of times
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked about 30 minutes ago and it's still there.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Exercise for the day has been walking, pushups, and planks.

Today is my wife's b'day and we're going to a new restaurant in town that she went to two weeks ago for dinner for a girls' night out so once again no cooking dinner for me. When my kids were very young for our anniversary or respective b'days relatives would baby sit so we could have an adult meal and it was a very nice reprieve; now that they're young adults we're more than happy to have them with us.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

A low key day; I thinking of making it a total rest day with the full intention of being at the gym tomorrow AM.

Dinner tonight is going to involve chicken breasts.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Enjoy the rest and break, GC
Old 10-14-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Exercise for the day has been walking, pushups, and planks.

Today is my wife's b'day and we're going to a new restaurant in town that she went to two weeks ago for dinner for a girls' night out so once again no cooking dinner for me. When my kids were very young for our anniversary or respective b'days relatives would baby sit so we could have an adult meal and it was a very nice reprieve; now that they're young adults we're more than happy to have them with us.
Great how that works!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Enjoy the rest and break, GC
It's always a little odd for me to not do something, but I probably needed it.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Great how that works!!!!!!
For some reason I was having issues multi quoting. Yeah, having the four of us together was a lot of fun.

Today

One of those days. Just a horrific breathing day, but I was at the gym this morning. I was close to useless, even after using my emergency inhaler, but there was a mental boost about not giving in and even though I wasn't up to par I'm better off for going.

Another Saturday another day of house stuff, but we're now done. I'm playing around with some seafood oriented ideas for dinner and keeping with the food theme I too a stab at making Tzatziki and it should be ready to eat in a couple of hours.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

My breathing issues continue, but it hasn't stopped me from working out. Some people are of the opinion that by me doing so I'm making my condition worse, but I'm not in that camp.

My wife and I lifted yesterday and this morning I worked out with my trainer. After 60 jumping jacks; 40 squats; and 20 pushups, my usual warm up I did 3 rounds of:

Medicine ball planks
Heavy rope doubles
Kb reverse lunges
Db single arm squat presses
Ball slams with a non bouncing ball
Ab wheel rollouts

In the midst of my wheezing yesterday I truly gave thought to start running again on Tuesday. I'm still thinking about it, but haven't mentioned it to anyone because I know they would say it's a very bad idea.

Dinner Saturday night was shrimp in a garlic shrimp sauce served over brown rice. Yesterday was grilled hamburgers and a garden salad. Tonight is going to be baked chicken thighs with a to be determined side.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

For some reason I was having issues multi quoting. Yeah, having the four of us together was a lot of fun.

Today

One of those days. Just a horrific breathing day, but I was at the gym this morning. I was close to useless, even after using my emergency inhaler, but there was a mental boost about not giving in and even though I wasn't up to par I'm better off for going.

Another Saturday another day of house stuff, but we're now done. I'm playing around with some seafood oriented ideas for dinner and keeping with the food theme I too a stab at making Tzatziki and it should be ready to eat in a couple of hours.
Have you ever been tested for mold allergies, GC. I remember an allergist telling me that the combination of fallen leaves and rain in the fall make mold allergies an issue during that time of year.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Today

I am going to have to Google Tzatziki