Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 12

Old 04-28-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 12

last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...t-11-a-20.html (Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 11)

D
Old 04-28-2018, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oooooooohhhhhhh!!!!!!
We have a new thread how magnificent!
Just popping by with a catch up. I have decided to have a day of pottering around in the warm instead of hitting the gym. My toothache is becoming a hindrance on me wanting to do much today so that is it! I am on strike!
Went out with work last night. This must be about the 6th time we've been out with me sober. It still raises the occasional eyebrow and comment but all in a very positive way. They all know I struggle with depression and anxiety so that is my cover story and I intend to stick to it for......well......forever I guess!
Something tells me perhaps a few have their suspicions. My boss asked me if not drinking has transformed my life. I of course said yes because it has. He has either put 2 and 2 together or can see that I am mentally stronger now. Either way I'm not going to worry about it.
They were all boozing away last night. They are such lovely people (boss is the only man and there are 10 of us women aged between about 22 and 50) that even when they are drinking there is no affect on the group in terms of being friends and nice people. Luckily I am a self-confessed extrovert so the louder they got the louder I got. I defy anyone to have successfully spotted the sober one last night!
In the past those nights have slightly triggered me the day after so I have been super careful to look for signs of that but so far so good I am as grateful and happy to be sober today as I have ever been.
The only thing I did which was a little reckless was have a sniff of the shots when they came out. That's what happens if the boss is in the mood. The rounds of shots keep coming. At least 6 each. Many have never heard of so I smelled a few. It was pure curiosity and I had a healthy detachment from the whole thing but in hindsight it was a little silly. Thank God (insert HP's name of choice here) that it didn't trigger me.
Anyhoo...... girls are back so it's mum duties time. Happy weekend all xxx
Old 04-30-2018, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh...I forgot to subscribe to the new location, no wonder I missed Jo's post. I'll figure this website out eventually...

Ewwww, sniffing shots of liquor sounds awful! At least you didn't stick your tongue in them, which I probably would've done. "What does that one taste like?" "Well, it's yours now, you just stuck your tongue in it..." Oops, sorry...

You probably survived that level of proximity because you were a wine drinker; as a certified liquor drunk, I could never have been where you were. Especially free shots! Free? Oh dear me, no way...I had a moment several months ago when a new client's husband pulled a bottle of whiskey out of the freezer and had himself a long pull...that's how I drank, and it triggered the crap out of me. And it was before noon, which is also how I drank! Gross...

Still sugar free for two weeks now. Feeling much better, and starting to see a receding chin line. I looked at the label on some dark chocolate recently, and even though the carb count (per square) wasn't too high, I decided I'd get more enjoyment from a double serving of fried cabbage. Okay, that sounds insane...but it's true! I can taste the sweetness in cooked veggies now. So weird...

Hope everyone has (or had) a good sober Monday! Later, friends
Old 05-02-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was beginning to feel like Nelly-No-Mates! Hurrah you've found our new home!
Well I'll jump straight in for a moan. My dental treatment went wrong and I'm in a bad way. He managed to drill 2.5mm too far in and traumatised the tooth. I panicked and started crying so he stopped before pulling the other tooth. What a mess I'm in a lot of pain now.
Now I am just supposed to manage the pain and go back a week on Friday.
I feel really upset I've put my trust in a professional who has messed this up.
Okay moan over.
Arp you sound wonderful I'm so happy for you. Receding chin line made me chuckle! I discovered a wonderful healthy treat last week. Roasted butternut squash. Cube it and sprinkle with paprika and roast for half an hour. I swear it's delicious and sweet!
Okay back to bed I think it's going to be a long night xxx
Old 05-02-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm really sorry that happened, Jo - I hope the pain can be managed, that you have kind and useful people around to distract you and bring you nice nourishment, and that somehow it will be fixable.
Kindest thoughts
Old 05-02-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Caramel
Old 05-02-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jo

D
Old 05-04-2018, 02:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Gosh I now realise that this tooth disaster is making me face a lot of my emotional immaturity. I am caught up in feelings of woe and despair and how so damn unfair it is. This isn't going to help me find peace and heal.
It rages through my whole life. If things don't go the way I feel is fair I lash out or get very down. I don't even try to find another way. Perhaps this situation will force me to work on that.
I read a post today about how striving for fairness hurts our serenity and that acceptance is the key. YES! I'm just so damn stubborn but have to accept that it's not helping me grow. I'm fighting the world sometimes and the only person in turmoil over it is me.
How do I balance standing up for myself with accepting things I have no control over?
Possible Eureka moment but ugh how to start working on it?
Speaking of the teeth I'm now being referred to hospital for any further treatment and am on antibiotics in case it gets infected. I called the dentist yesterday and he was very apologetic and tripping over himself to make it right. Cynical me thinks he's covering himself in case I sue, I would rather work with him and hope he is being genuine. Isn't it sad how we can't just trust oneanother?
Okay I'm rambling now.......feeling grateful to be sober today. Lots of love ❤❤❤
Old 05-04-2018, 04:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dear Jo:

Okay, on the one hand, yes -- acceptance of life on life's terms, emotional growth and maturity, all very noble pursuits, something we all should be working on.

However -- mouth pain is one of the worst ailments on the planet, and very difficult to tolerate for more than a few minutes, and you have every right to feel sorry for yourself and curse the fates while you suffer through this; it's not the best time for emotional growth! I think a growing emotional urge to throttle your dentist would be more appropriate...

I've gotten (very) minimal relief in the past by letting an aspirin tablet dissolve directly over the source of pain, holding it there with my tongue. Tastes gross, doesn't fix it by any means, but might dull the throbbing by a couple of degrees. I can feel your pain all the way across the ocean, my dear friend

I hope they fix you very soon...
Old 05-04-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Arp!
I'm too tired to be cross just yet but it has indeed been a royal **** up of the highest order.
Okay what mushed up baby food shall I have for dinner?
Onward and sober Mayflies! ❤❤❤
Old 05-05-2018, 02:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(((Jo))) you poor lady, did the dentist give you strong painkillers? Put all dentist and GPs in a big sack and no matter where you hit you'll always hit the right one.

I've had a week of back pain from a strained muscle, no joke either, that's all I'm saying. Luckily it's better now.

Congrats to your sugar free time Arp, I like your extra portion of cabbage, what a treat :-)

You have a good weekend all, the lambing is done, thank God for that!
Now I must subscribe to the new thread.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Not doing very well.. I'm a mess at the minute. I can't see a way out. . Hope everything is going well for you guys.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Come back, Ben
Old 05-05-2018, 03:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ben you can still hang out here and offload or just have some connection with people you trust who understand
Edit: we all think we're doomed to this at some point, that there is no way out. I simply couldn't believe that I would ever achieve sustainable sobriety. I'm ashamed to say I was totally jealous of the good folk here who had achieved what I so desperately wanted. Of course it kept getting worse. So in addition to the self doubt I was riddled with fear. Ben I've not got the magic answer but I was utterly beaten and challenged myself to 1 day. 24 hours sober. How about it?
Can you go back to your doctor?
Can you talk with honesty to your wife?
Can you get a week off work?
I'm so sorry you are in this situation it's a truly awful place to be. Talk to us if it helps....xxx
Old 05-05-2018, 03:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow, am I glad to see your name here, Ben!! I don't know if you've posted anywhere else, but you've come to the right place for support, you'll always be a Mayfly, no matter what's been happening...

Even on your darkest day, there's a little bit of light showing, off in the distance: it's hope, and it's a reminder that you can turn this train around, it's not a one-way ticket. So together, let's try just one simple experiment: let's not drink today! We're in this thing together, man...please stick around.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Okay I'm still in bed and it's 11.30. I need to return to the land of the living. The pain has subsided overnight quite a bit and the sun is out. Just got zero motivation to get up but I will and I'll try and do something today. Life goes on after all! ❤❤❤
Old 05-05-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Take gentle care, Jo
Old 05-06-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you Caramel and Arp
I did indeed get back to the land of the living today and enjoyed a lovely trip out with Melly to a family petting farm day out today. The weeding can wait a bit longer!
It's super sunny and warm today aka sit out in a beer garden and drink in the UK. Not something I've done much (being a secret at home drinker) so I can look and feel very little in terms of pangs to join in. I just think with the sun and heat the hangover must be twice as bad. Yuk no thank you!
We are a little crazy over here. One flake of snow and the roads & schools close and the first sunny day and shops sell out of drumsticks & burgers for the annual bbq unveiling! Oh and the sudden unveiling of the summer clothes is a little puke-provoking too - sandals with socks are so ruddy British!
So all-in-all it has been a wonderful day. Poor Hannah has been stuck in revising poor thing (only 1 week to go) but she will be free from it all very soon.
Have a wonderful day gang
Old 05-06-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you're feeling a bit better Jo
I hope you'll come back and start posting regularly Ben - seemed to help last time?
Hi Caramel,Arp and Elke

D
Old 05-07-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

A good evening to check in with my peeps...I hope all is well, or at least tolerable, in your necks of the woods.

My dog (Jessie the Ancient One) is stalking me. She's relentless. Since I started eating differently, I'm constantly cooking meat, and while she's deaf as a post and possessing questionable eyesight, her sniffer is in fine working order, so the new menu has her in a constant state of high alert. I no longer go into the kitchen alone, ever; if I get up for a second cup of coffee, she is there. Hoping. Smelling. Often times, drooling. Waiting. Probably praying.

She eats dry food, always has, always will...I'll indulge her fantasies occasionally with a small scrap of waste that isn't a true bone, because I worry about splintering. But for the most part, I don't share! Cruel and heartless, I know. I'm sure she dreams of taking me down at the knees and claiming her portion, and throwing me a pitiful cast-off bit of cartilage. But I remain the Alpha Dog in the house; she can feast on my remains when I'm dead...so, Woof!

Carnivorously,
Arp