Notices

Class of March 2016 part 58

Old 09-11-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good morning 🌞 Hello to everyone.

Lillian I have to agree with Dee. Careful with that wine.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

The question of Lill's bottle of wine got me thinking. If it functions as a "security blanket" or what they call a "comfort object," then yup that's the AV at work. Keeping it is playing with fire.

On the other hand, if you maintain complete awareness of what it is and what it represents, and keep in mind exactly what's likely to happen if you touch it, and decide, confidently, day after day, to ignore it, well that might be real power over your AV. Give it a "Casey salute" every dang day until you're so bored with it you pour it down the drain.

That's what a bottle might be for us. Desensitization. They do the same sort of thing to help people overcome phobias. I'm not advocating it, but we have to learn to pass up umpteen bottles every day of our lives one way or the other. How many bars do we have to pass to get to Gate 28 at the nearest airport? And how long would it take any of us to get our hands on a bottle right now? Ten minutes tops for me. And what happens every time we go out to dinner with friends? It's there and I know it. I don't want to run from it; I want to kick its butt until I'm too bored to bother!

Oh well, I think about stuff like this. No experiments needed today folks. Just stay sober and it's all copacetic.

sent
Old 09-11-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey guys. I think I'm taking a break from here for a while. Just trying to be focused in RW and stay off of internet so much. I love you all and you have been so key in my success.

Don't drink - it's dumb.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Morning everyone! Had a great time at the wedding this weekend & wasn't temped to drink! Win!!! I have therapy today so that's good .

How is everyone else doing!
Old 09-11-2017, 07:29 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Bobbieka my dear you will be sorely missed (for however long you see fit--and although I expect to see you again), and yet I'm so happy for you I'm just beaming! Your avatar says it all: She Believed She Could So She Did! That's the key for us all. You have been a big part of all of our various recovery efforts: Thank You, Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Mornin' all. Late checkin' in but I've been busy, busy, busy. Sausage 'n biscuit in the toaster oven gettin' ready for breakfast!

Bobbie I'm soooo sorry to see you go. I'll miss you. Please let us know how you're doing from time to time.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Checking in ~ Hello class! Some damage in town but we made it through....Back to day one! I'll catch up later when I get home....still no electricity in most places.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hello folks: checking in.
Doing well - tired these days for some reason, having early nights and reading in bed.
Take care, everybody - you are a great team xxx
Old 09-11-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Glad you were able to check in Purp. Been worried about you. Sorry you drank.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Great job at the wedding Kiki! I have one to go to in November, but it's supposed to be alcohol free at the reception as far as I know.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My inner addict was a champion rationaliser - 'canary in a coal mine' is worthy of me at my best/worse, Lill.

As a non drinker in recovery, there's no good reason for you to keep that bottle there.

Everything else beyond that fact is AV white noise.

D
I trust your judgement here Dee, so I'll get rid of it.

I should explain its in the garage fridge that i see only when I go get an ice tea for myself. That fridge usually holds a huge pack of beer that my husband drinks and always will. The liquor store is a 5 min walk away and if I wanted wine it's right there in their fridge 24/7. Not much different. The temptation is all around me all the time. Literally everyone drinks around me, My sister lives next door and their fridge has more alcohol than I've ever seen in one fridge and I open it all the time.

Now I feel like I'm rationalizing so maybe I am...lol!

Ok, I'll give the bottle away. I was so proud of myself for ignoring it every time though. I liked that feeling of power. Maybe it is a safety blanket instead.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 View Post
The question of Lill's bottle of wine got me thinking. If it functions as a "security blanket" or what they call a "comfort object," then yup that's the AV at work. Keeping it is playing with fire.

On the other hand, if you maintain complete awareness of what it is and what it represents, and keep in mind exactly what's likely to happen if you touch it, and decide, confidently, day after day, to ignore it, well that might be real power over your AV. Give it a "Casey salute" every dang day until you're so bored with it you pour it down the drain.

That's what a bottle might be for us. Desensitization. They do the same sort of thing to help people overcome phobias. I'm not advocating it, but we have to learn to pass up umpteen bottles every day of our lives one way or the other. How many bars do we have to pass to get to Gate 28 at the nearest airport? And how long would it take any of us to get our hands on a bottle right now? Ten minutes tops for me. And what happens every time we go out to dinner with friends? It's there and I know it. I don't want to run from it; I want to kick its butt until I'm too bored to bother!

Oh well, I think about stuff like this. No experiments needed today folks. Just stay sober and it's all copacetic.
sent
Just read this - yes, that's the dilemma!!! Nailed it.

Since I have failed at sobriety so often ima gunna take Dee's advice. Take what I think I should do and do the opposite. Ha!
Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Morning everyone! Had a great time at the wedding this weekend & wasn't temped to drink! Win!!! I have therapy today so that's good .

How is everyone else doing!
Kiki for the win!!!!
Old 09-11-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Checking in. Home from work and just waiting on dinner. Nothing planned tonight outside of finding a yoga class for when I'm off on Wednesday. Haven't been in a while and my soul could use it.

Kiki - great win at the wedding!!

LG - I'm the same with the power thing. I've walked though the liquor store before "just to see" and then felt victorious walking out empty handed. Probably can't tempt fate too many times though before I end up losing. Great job giving it away.

Purplrks - so glad you checked in!! ❤️❤️

Bobbie - you'll always belong here no matter where you go or how long you're gone for. Family forever and for always Love you

Well that's all for now. Be back later
Old 09-11-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Look after yourself, B.
Good thoughts, Pel.
Lill- awesome.
Hope you are okay, Purp.
How you doin', Sam?
HI TO ALL
Dot point focus.
That is all.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Doing well here PJ. How are you? Dot. Point. Focus.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

lill

congrats to you too Kiki

D
Old 09-11-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Just emerging from my dark place Sam. Flashbacks for lack of a better word plus all the crap that goes with it. THIS time around I had on a survival suit and a torch. I do not sleep well.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I also push buttons at the wrong time.
Last night, although full of dark dreams- I slept 11 hours, unbroken.
I also like trees.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Emerging is good PJ. Very much like rising from the ashes which you have done time and time again. Praying you will find peaceful sleep soon. ❤️