Notices

Class of March 2016 part 58

Old 09-10-2017, 02:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Purps, I mentioned this possibility the other day and maybe should have been more forceful. Yup, I saw your AV coming from 2000 miles away.

I used to live out in the northern midwest and would stock up before snowstorms/blizzards. Roads closed, work closed and it felt delicious to hole up with cases of beer and "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow."

Those days are gone though. I took it all too far.

Please be careful, a hurricane is much more destructive than snow.

If you're like me, hearing "throw it out" might not cut it. It should but it probably won't. Please back out gracefully and minimize the damage. That much is certainly doable. Stay safe, we're all rooting for you.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Morning,

Hey Purplrks. I'm like Pelagic - haven't dealt with a hurricane but had plenty of bad snowstorms when we were stuck home for days. I also used those opportunities to stock up and drink to "comfort" myself. Never worked, didn't make the weather better and certainly didn't do anything for my peace of mind. Hope you're taking care of yourself today my friend ❤️ We are here for you when you're ready. Give Moe a hug for us.

Praying for all this morning.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Mornin' Marchers. Sippin' startin' fluid gettin' ready for the day.

Purp I've never been in a situation like you are in. But I do know that alcohol does not make ANYTHING better!!!
Old 09-10-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

How's everyone doing today? Any fun Sunday plans?

I'm off and I think I'm going to try making a Whole30 compliant taco salad for dinner so I think a trip to the grocery store will be needed. Might take the bus and just meander uptown for a while in the sunshine.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sam be sure to give the poison isle the Ole Casey Salute!!!
Old 09-10-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You are so right! I'm having some startin' fluid now.....alcohol doesn't even sound good at the moment anyway....

Just checking in - we could get a direct hit after all but it's still too soon to tell; it's supposed to get bad later tonight into tomorrow. I'm with good company in a pretty secure house that's further inland from where I live....Moe and I have our own room so he's hiding under the bed.... Hope everyone is doing okay
Old 09-10-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beerbgone View Post
Sam be sure to give the poison isle the Ole Casey Salute!!!
We only have alcohol in very few grocery stores. Grateful for that. Definitely going to one without.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That's good news, Purpl. I wish I could send you some of our weather. It's nice up here! The sound of late summer insects fills the air, and it's calm as can be.

Fun Sunday plans, Sam? Uh, let's see. Fix the gas cap on the mower (so it can't fall off anymore), mow the lawn, chop and turn the compost pile, transplant two small trees, and check Equifax to see if I was hacked.

Nope, not too much fun, but it feels good sober. After that I'll make some lentil soup for dinner and that will be better. Have a good day one and all.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samantha14 View Post
We only have alcohol in very few grocery stores. Grateful for that. Definitely going to one without.
Oh man it is EVERYWHERE here, Target, Walmart, all grocery stores, drug stores, gas stations. They are even putting BARS in some target stores here and amazon has started liquor delivery in some areas. 😡
Old 09-10-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulRain View Post
Oh man it is EVERYWHERE here, Target, Walmart, all grocery stores, drug stores, gas stations. They are even putting BARS in some target stores here and amazon has started liquor delivery in some areas. 😡
That's crazy!! For once I don't mind being behind the times.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelagic263 View Post
That's good news, Purpl. I wish I could send you some of our weather. It's nice up here! The sound of late summer insects fills the air, and it's calm as can be.

Fun Sunday plans, Sam? Uh, let's see. Fix the gas cap on the mower (so it can't fall off anymore), mow the lawn, chop and turn the compost pile, transplant two small trees, and check Equifax to see if I was hacked.

Nope, not too much fun, but it feels good sober. After that I'll make some lentil soup for dinner and that will be better. Have a good day one and all.
Sober sounds fun enough! Enjoy your soup - it sounds yummy
Old 09-10-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Dee wrote at post #20, "Seriously....think of what Sully would say."

Just wondering about this - the only thing I can think of is

"This is the Captain - brace for impact"

which might not be what Dee was thinking of, but which I would actually find quite helpful in some situations!

Best wishes, everyone
Old 09-10-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Stay safe Purps! I hope everyone had a great weekend.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Be safe, Purp.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

.alcohol doesn't even sound good at the moment anyway....
you can make sure it stays that way Purps - best wishes and hope Irma passes quickly.

D
Old 09-10-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Hi,
Checking in for tonight.

Marianne Williamson posted this on Twitter yesterday and it's been pinging around in my head:

Pain is the distance between you and accepting reality.
Deep thought.

So, when I finally quit drinking last month, I still had a bottle of one of my favorite wine in the fridge. Decoy, Merlot. Nothing fancy but I really did enjoy this special treat. It's around $20 for the bottle, which is more than I usually liked to pay for my daily habit.

It's still in the fridge. Its my canary in the coal mine.

So far so good. It doesn't tempt me. Accepting reality is good.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

A 2 edged sword- Lill, although I understand completely what you mean.
Running my Monday lunch meeting soon. Someone stole the box...the one we keep coffee, supplied, literature in. WTF? Have to go buy it all. Oh well- no one ever said people who go to meetings are there for the right reasons.
Had counselling- as usual I talked- he listened. Even from last Thursday thinks I have 'grown'. STILL LOSING WEIGHT! ON PURPOSE! WITH MINDFUL CRAP!
Old 09-11-2017, 02:14 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone.

PJ, dang I can't lose any weight at all. My interim goal is -10 pounds and so far . . . nothin'.

Lillian, props to you for ignoring the wine. My wife generally has a bottle of white in the fridge and I figure it's MY responsibility to keep my hands off of it. You can't really hide from alcohol, after all; the temptation will always be there. We have to master that particular temptation.

Purps, I guess you're nearly through it. Hope all is well!!

Doc appt. today. I tend to avoid docs, but the insurance insists. I can hear the very first question already: "So, how are you doing with the alcohol?" Ugh. But day 67 feels pretty good. Normal BP feels pretty good. I won't sit there all hangdog about it.

Have a good day all. Check in! We're pretty quiet lately.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:12 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Morning!!

Purplrks - hoping all is well for you this morning. Check in when you can. ❤️

LB - hope your parents are okay this morning as well. ❤️

PJ - great job with the weight loss and mindful crap....both difficult things

Pelagic - good luck at the doctors today. I'm sure they will be very proud of your 67 days

LG - not sure I could stare a bottle of wine in the face on a lot of days but I get it. Good for you for staying strong. And remember that dumping it down the drain is always the best option should you be tempted.

Well on my way to work. Should be an easy day (knock on wood)

Hoping we see lots of checkins today. It's kinda empty in here. ❤️❤️
Old 09-11-2017, 03:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

My inner addict was a champion rationaliser - 'canary in a coal mine' is worthy of me at my best/worse, Lill.

As a non drinker in recovery, there's no good reason for you to keep that bottle there.

Everything else beyond that fact is AV white noise.

D