Notices

Class of June 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 06-07-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Day 7 now . . . made it through Day 6 even though this loud ringing in my ears
when I got home last night was almost physically forcing me to get a drink to
relieve that. Does anyone else experience that?

Anyway, a little chips and salsa and playing with the dogs and it passed.

Great day (or night) to all of you!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by time2shineagain View Post
Good morning from Aus. Day 9 was not a good day for me. Massive cravings, a really down mood, just feeling generally crappy. But I went to bed early last night without a drink, so today feels so much more manageable. Day 10! Woo hoo, into double digits! Hope you're all doing well. I'm off to tours of two schools in our area this morning as my son will start next year. Hard to believe he's almost 5. Have a great, sober day everyone.
Great job Time, on not having that drink! It's the best feeling to wake up knowing you didn't give in - and you feel so much better!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blondsober View Post
Day 7 now . . . made it through Day 6 even though this loud ringing in my ears
when I got home last night was almost physically forcing me to get a drink to
relieve that. Does anyone else experience that?

Anyway, a little chips and salsa and playing with the dogs and it passed.

Great day (or night) to all of you!
You know, I've had that a little bit too! What is that?!
Chips and salsa makes everything better, IMO
Old 06-07-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

From what I know it is tinnitus, which I think happens because
of a change in blood chemistry when you remove the blood-
thinning properties of all that alcohol, especially if it has been
in you for a long time. I think it usually goes away after a week
or a few . . . I hope. Hmmm . . . one week today!

Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
You know, I've had that a little bit too! What is that?!
Chips and salsa makes everything better, IMO
Old 06-07-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

This is my first time posting in this thread, though I've been on the forum. I'm at 2 weeks with no wine, determined this time that I have turned a corner. Glad to be hanging in there with you all.

So interesting hearing about the tinnitus! I've been having that too, but never connected it with alcohol. Seems it wreaks havoc on every system of our body.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LastingChange View Post
Hi All,

Day 3 for me after a really horrible weekend of binging and shameful, embarrassing behaviour. Feeling strength and encouragement from this community already and hopeful that posting and reading is going to help me to kick the damaging habit that's haunted me and hindered me for 10 years.

Sending strength and positivity to you all.
Hang in there Lasting, I've been there! Binges are the worst. Keep the faith, stay strong and you have our encouragment always! We can do this! Stay close!
Old 06-07-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Welcome TeaLily!

Thanks Blond, that makes sense. Ugh. It really is a terrible thing, and does terrible things to our health. We are poisoning ourselves when we drink. I've got to keep this in mind when I get that urge.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had to break away from some friends - for various reasons of their own, they wanted me to stay a drinker.

My real friends were the ones who accepted my decision that I had a problem and supported me in not drinking

It's just another of the changes we need to make. Scary at the time, but ultimately beneficial

D
Thank you Dee, this is so helpful and good to remember. I've lost a few friends as well. And I now realize the only thing we had in common was drinking. Sad. True friends will want the best for us and will support us.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Hi guys, day 2 for me. I'm feeling alright, have had a few headaches. I'm also feeling self concious because I feel like I gained a lot of weight on my last bender from staying inside and drinking / eating all day. I have been active over the past couple of days though, going for long walks and eating healthy. Right now I'm living with my parents temporarily and it can be a trigger for me because they both drink nightly. They are in the kitchen drinking right now actually.

I'm trying to stay positive and prepare myself because I am leaving Canada to teach English in South Korea in only 12 days. It will be a big change for me and I feel like the key to being successful over there is to stay sober. I know it will be hard and I still want to go out and socialize but just not drink.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 06-07-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tglanon View Post
Hi guys, day 2 for me. I'm feeling alright, have had a few headaches. I'm also feeling self concious because I feel like I gained a lot of weight on my last bender from staying inside and drinking / eating all day. I have been active over the past couple of days though, going for long walks and eating healthy. Right now I'm living with my parents temporarily and it can be a trigger for me because they both drink nightly. They are in the kitchen drinking right now actually.

I'm trying to stay positive and prepare myself because I am leaving Canada to teach English in South Korea in only 12 days. It will be a big change for me and I feel like the key to being successful over there is to stay sober. I know it will be hard and I still want to go out and socialize but just not drink.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
South Korea, that's exciting! What's the pay vs cost of living if you don't mind me asking?

Day 3 today. I had a massage yesterday, then a hectic time at work but managed to stay away from the drink while on my break.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Hi all,
Checking in quickly..still here...hope all are well..

Welcome to anyone new..stay strong xo
Old 06-07-2017, 04:11 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Checking in on day two after a long day and night. Haven't sleep in 36 hours and had my kid's end of year conferences back to back. My usually amicable ex-husband got snippy ( oh fine, I was edgy and tired and still experiencing masssive body aches that had something to do with it). My skin looks terrible and my face is flaking big time.

BUT! No drinking or real cravings today and I have my babies for 5 glorious days. I ate food, drank so much water, and currently have a giant glass of icy cranberry juice keeping me company and trying to help flush out the toxins. Before bed I'll have some dandelion tea, read books, and snuggle on the couch. I just hope I can sleep tonight.

Glad to see everyone checking in!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LastingChange View Post
Hang in there, the first few days after a binge are the worst. It takes time to biologically, physiologically and psychologically recover and regain the strength of mind and body to push forward and resolve to make a change.

Keep reading and posting and we can all help each other through this tough first stage.

Feel better.
It's no joke. But I'm getting through and making a plan. I'm excited to be over the first 2 days, but now is when my willpower needs to kick in hard.

Thanks for the support!
Old 06-07-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Home from work and relaxing now.

Tglanlon, wow, that is exciting going to Korea and yes a huge incentive to stay sober. I hope you make the right choices, and keep checking in with us! Can't wait to hear about it. I hear you on the loved ones around you drinking. My fiancé still drinks too, but definitely doesn't have the same issues I do with alcohol. No secret drinking for him. He drinks beers usually only after he has gone fishing so there's never any surprise for me. I don't really want to be around it though, so I am going to just do my own thing when he's drinking. It is a little weird though! But I can't really expect him to stop too.

Eshgham, good job on staying away while on your break! My work is very hectic also. For me I'm finding it's really helping me keep my mind off the booze.

coolsoberbaby, hope you get some sleep tonight! good on the water, and enjoy your babies! They'll keep you busy, and distracted! Here's hoping the next 5 days go well! Skin will look/feel better in no time. I totally notice a difference. I'm also taking vitamins and feel so much better than I did, say, a week ago.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Katsmeeyow, thanks! I've got vitamins too and I'm bathing my skin in some hardcore lotion made for exczema. Glad you are feeling better.

I have a family reunion that I may end up skipping on Sunday (my family can and does DRINK) if I don't come up with a plan I feel good about by Friday. I'm still pretty much at the beginning and haven't broadcast the news and they will notice I'm not drinking the famous sangria or having shots and beers with some of them. Darn alcoholic genes.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Hi All...Smiling as I step into my 3rd month of sobriety. Very grateful for SR to turn to on those days & nights my AV tries to infringe on my happiness.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

coolsober, I hear you! I haven't broadcasted it either, and my family drinks as well (not all but a good amount). I'm not ready to be around it either. Lean on us if you want to bounce off anything, a good plan is so important. I haven't come up with one yet for that situation either. We can help each other!

Hi LilDeb, that is so fantastic, 3 months! I am really looking forward to being at that point if I can stick with this.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Woah! So impressed by you all! Wish I could say I'm in recovery. Day 1 starts tomorrow? Good job friends!
Old 06-08-2017, 02:15 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Welcome hello76....

I get what everyone is saying about family drinking. My husband drinks sometimes but now I have kids in their 20s and they drink fairly often. My son is home from college for the summer and my 2 boys will sit and have a beer while watching a game or around the firepit..my husband joins in at times. It nice time for them but tough to be around when I don't have too much time under my belt...like now.

I have to really stick with this. I'm a teacher and school ends here in a couple of weeks. If I don't have at least a few weeks under my belt, the summer will start off terrible. I will sit and isolate and drink at home...working keeps me occupied.

I will stay close to SR and post!!!

Rain finally stop here and it seems to be warming up a bit..
Have a great day everyone xo
Old 06-08-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Just checking in as day 11 comes to an end. The last few days have been tough, emotionally, and I could have easily reached for the bottle....but proud to say I've made it through. Start my new job tomorrow, just a half day orientation, then the weekend. Strength to all.