Notices

Class of April 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 04-28-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

goodo one breig.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

DAY 19 and trying not to stress over things I cannot control.

Background: my husband's identity was stolen recently as a part of a local government agency experiencing a data breach. When our accountant attempted to e-file our taxes in mid-March, it was discovered that someone had already filed in my husband's name using his Social Security Number. Both my husband and I immediately went into action to protect ourselves. Countless phone calls made and forms filled out, etc. We are still working through the identity theft.

Fast forward to March 23rd when I discovered by accident a .38 Special handgun that had been left on a gardening shelf in our backyard behind our garage. We don't know how long it had been there, maybe a couple of weeks or longer. We called the police who came out to photograph it and then took it away for processing. The next day my husband installed a security camera system.

Then, unbeknownst to us, someone went online and fraudulently put a vacation hold on our mail for a one month period, saying they would pick it up at the post office on a certain date (as opposed to having it delivered back to our address). Luckily, after about 3 days of not receiving mail, I called our local post office and found out what had happened. Again, countless e-mails and forms filled out. I had been working with the post master and the police to catch this person, but no one ever came to the post office to try to collect our mail.

Yesterday evening while we were in our house watching television with the curtains drawn, our security cameras caught an older adult male on a bicycle ride up onto our driveway and turn around. He was looking around almost as if he was casing the place. He was with another person also on a bicycle but they had stopped behind a shrub and we couldn't see who they were. Of course, this is just me being cautious due to everything else that has gone on recently. We live on a short, dead end street that is misleading - a lot of cars and people jogging, etc. come down the street thinking they can get through, but end up turning around. Perhaps that is all this guy was doing. Perhaps not. In any event, I am totally stressed about it. Luckily our security cameras are set on motion detection so I will receive an e-mail if anything is going on.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I am just frustrated by the situation. It's unnerving and I have a very uncomfortable feeling about the whole thing. I feel helpless. I can't really do anything except for what we've already done - the police can't do anything until a crime actually is committed. I still haven't heard back about the gun and I found out I may never hear back.

One thing is for sure, I'm glad I'm now sober. For the first part of all of this mess I was still drinking heavily and I really couldn't deal with it all.

Thanks for listening, friends.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

That's a lot to deal with Pippo, definitely stress worthy stuff.

The only advice I can offer is what I do in these types of situations and that's to focus on and resolve small parts of the overall problem and not spend too much time looking at the overall issue. If I dwell on everything all at once, it becomes overwhelming and almost unbearable. But if I'm able to deal with little bites of the problem, I can stay focused and I end up with at least some semblance of accomplishment.

Stay strong.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I'm in double figures now - 10 days competed. Won't get carried away though. It's nice to have some clarity though.
Up, up and away with my beautiful baboon.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
That's a lot to deal with Pippo, definitely stress worthy stuff.

The only advice I can offer is what I do in these types of situations and that's to focus on and resolve small parts of the overall problem and not spend too much time looking at the overall issue. If I dwell on everything all at once, it becomes overwhelming and almost unbearable. But if I'm able to deal with little bites of the problem, I can stay focused and I end up with at least some semblance of accomplishment.

Stay strong.
Thank you, Time. That really is great advice. Funny thing is that I was finally starting to relax a little bit until we saw the video of the guy on the bicycle - all the anxiety over it came flooding back. I'm glad it's the weekend so that I'll actually be at home and not at work wondering if someone is breaking into our house!
Old 04-28-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Depression has been on high today......trying to keep my AV in check.....not a comfortable or pleasant day. Tomorrow will be likely worse. I take nothing for granted.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SimplyFree View Post
Depression has been on high today......trying to keep my AV in check.....not a comfortable or pleasant day. Tomorrow will be likely worse. I take nothing for granted.
Why will tomorrow be worse? What's going on?
Old 04-28-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

PippoRossi, I hope you get it all figured out, keep up the great work with your sobriety!
Old 04-28-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Breighz View Post
PippoRossi, I hope you get it all figured out, keep up the great work with your sobriety!
Thanks, Breighz. I'm sure we will, I guess I just need to try and be patient and not control the situation. That'll be a tough one for me!
Old 04-28-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Snowing, cold , not able to work outside or focus on something good. Just more difficult....
Old 04-28-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Having a difficult day myself - not tempted, just astounded by the way the past still influences my subconscious, after the dreams I had last night.
They were inspired by a reasonably enjoyable gathering I attended yesterday where I met people I hadn't seen for many years. But I realised afresh how my path had diverged and narrowed since those days. Still coming to terms with it all.
I'll get there.
Be kind to yourselves, everybody.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SimplyFree View Post
Snowing, cold , not able to work outside or focus on something good. Just more difficult....
I get it. Maybe stay close to SR. That's always helpful for me.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Treadmill time....not magic, but helps
Old 04-28-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

SimplyFree, I used to go for long walks every night, between 4.5-5miles, and it helped so much. It's been a long time since I have exercised regularly and I'm trying to get back into it. I hope your walk/run helps

Day 5
I'm still at work but will be leaving soon. I have to get gas, pick up a prescription and then dinner. It is cold & rainy here. No snow but maybe on Sunday. The thought crossed my mind to get some wine on the way home since I'm getting take out Italian. I think I've talked myself out of it. I wish this wasn't so hard.

Wishing everyone a happy, sober weekend
Old 04-28-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Yep, not worth it. That is why I went to the treadmill. Silly mood swings!
Old 04-28-2017, 10:52 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

PippoRossi, sounds like a very stressful situation! I think you already got some great advice here, so hang in there and remember to take good care of yourself. I tend to forget everything about self-care when I'm stressed...

Sending strength to all of you who are struggling, stay close to SR this weekend, I know I will! I'm on Day 9 today, it was a close call yesterday, but thanks to all you great people here I didn't pick up. Stay strong everyone!
Old 04-28-2017, 11:11 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Day 6 starting here, did a big long run yesterday so too tired to drink. 16 y/o daughter coming over today and out for pizza tonight so will stick close to the sparkling water.

Keep posting everyone - 'We read to know we're not alone'.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:13 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone ..... start of day 6 for me too. Hibernating with Haven box set today apart from walking the doggies.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday
Old 04-29-2017, 04:18 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,

Today will be my day 3. I am still hanging in there and today is much better concerning withdrawal issues.

Not sure how much I will be able to post the rest of the weekend. My schedule is pretty full. Spring is here,snow is in the past, and there is a lot to do in the yard.

Everyone stay strong and stay the course.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:01 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Hope all are well today.
Day 5 here. All is going smoothly.

Thanks everyone for posting. There are too many to reply to each one. Hope everyone stays the course and have love for yourself today.

Erratic, my 9 yo puppy is in the avatar now. We say shitzupuppy, instead of "sh1t". It's a stupidfun thing we do.

We also say" move-ess "instead of move. Especially if we're both in the kitchen bumping into each other. it's sort of a friendlier version of move.

Originally Posted by Erratic View Post
Shitzu i think that's a lovely thought and reason to be doing it xx

I take it from your name u like the breed? i have a Lhasa Apso and a Jack Russel.

well its day 46 and i'm thinking i may have to go to AA meeting tonight and get some motivation from the group and also help. I'm finding it hard in the evening as normally i will take myself to bed around 8pm and that's when the group is. I will try my hardest to make sure i go tonight, so hopefully tomo i will post that i went and have some happy things to say tomo xx

Have a great friday xx