Notices

Class of April 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 04-27-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm a latecomer to this board but I would like to join if I can. I have been struggling with alcohol addiction for the last 20+ years. Yet still, I have been caught off guard on where it has progressed to. I knew it would progress, I was told it would progress, and yet I played with fire. I am so ashamed and also exhausted having to constantly fight this disease.

Right now my toolbox is empty but all my tools are laying around here somewhere. Time to fill it back up and get to work.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Originally Posted by kgirl41 View Post
Hi, I'm a latecomer to this board but I would like to join if I can. I have been struggling with alcohol addiction for the last 20+ years. Yet still, I have been caught off guard on where it has progressed to. I knew it would progress, I was told it would progress, and yet I played with fire. I am so ashamed and also exhausted having to constantly fight this disease.

Right now my toolbox is empty but all my tools are laying around here somewhere. Time to fill it back up and get to work.
Welcome to the class
Old 04-27-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Goodnight all, day 4 drawing to a close - feel really tired and sleeping like a log and craving sweet things. Just had sticky toffee pudding for the first time in years. Mug of cocoa and early bed - 9pm here - sleep tight.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

kgirl41 - welcome - I remember you Glad you're here.
General - cocoa is good, very satisfying, I find.
Have a good positive day, everybody.
Go placidly.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

I replaced alcohol with sugar. I see that much of my addiction was to the carbs. I'm eating more fruit now instead of candy and ice cream.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome pianoman

D
Old 04-27-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hi everyone~

Hi Dee

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
Hi Emme-
Have you tried carbonated water such as Pellegrino or Sparletts? It helps me a lot and keeps me away from soda.
Hi Keepnitreal, I haven't tried either of those, although I have wanted to try Pellegrino. This reminded me though I have tried Sparkling ICE that is really good, and supposedly 0 calorie but they have some fruit juice so I don't know how they can be. Either way, it's better than soda Thanks for the suggestion.

CharlotteWells, I am eating quite a bit of fruit too. It's more expensive but I like to buy it from a grocery store salad bar so it is all prepared and I can pick what I want. I got some today actually, so good.

Congrats on day 1 Pianoman

Day 4
I woke up this morning a little dizzy, and it made me feel like I was hung over. And then when I was getting ready, I noticed my eyes were bloodshot, and it made me look hung over. I think it's because I'm tired. I'm hoping to get some good sleep tonight. I am by far a night person so I tend to stay up too late and then have trouble getting up in the morning. No real thoughts of drinking, which is good. It's crossed my mind though of course, but today I was thinking how much of my life has been wasted on drinking, and it was a critical part of my life. I know I can still have a good life, but some things just can't be undone and I have to figure out some way to let that go and move on.

Wishing everyone a Happy Friday
Old 04-27-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Bedtime! Goodnight day 12.....
Old 04-27-2017, 08:41 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Hi All,
There are so many posts here that I want to reply to but selfishly I must confess that I had a tough day today and it has left me feeling exhausted and spent. So please know that I have read them all and am rooting for you all.

I will just take a minute to post about my day, just to get the feeling out. I attended a professional event, with people from many different workplaces, and oh my goodness, my past love was there. Long story short.. 20 year roller coaster relationship..ended in heartbreak 14 years ago... ruined my life really or at at the very least stole all my youth . It is certainly one of the major circumstances in my life that triggered my drinking. I want to be clear, I am not blaming the man, although he did lots of wrong to me. I own my choices and I stayed and I gave back wrong too. It was very dysfunctional. I am also well over the love etc. and done lots of therapy and have healed ( or so I believe) but at the time it made a deep wound which took many years to recover from and that I tried to sooth more and more with alcohol.
Anyway, he is at this event. And he doesn't even acknowledge my existence, greet me or anything. It was not a case of him not knowing I was there, it was a case of still being hurtful after all these years. And it made me so mad! Oh, I wanted to drink so badly after that. I really had to fight it hard. But suddenly, I felt very strongly that I was not going to allow this man or rather my feelings/reaction to this man to ruin my life again. I knew I was at a crossroads and I knew if I drank over it, I would never beat drinking. I was not going to have a setback because of him. And I didn't! I was so proud of myself. I am so proud of myself. Unfortunately though, the encounter has made me a little sad now. I don't want to give any time to feeling anything over this story which has caused me so much grief for so many years. But I guess I will let myself work through it. I didn't drink though! Day 15!!!!

So that is why I don't have the energy to post.

PS..for anyone who might be wondering why I didn't initiate greetings..trust me..I have been down that road before...I have left out so much of the story...suffice it to say that there are power and control games about that and I just don't put myself in those situations anymore. And believe me the lack of greeting on his part was just another way of attempting power and control, which I know and that is why I am pissed that I am even reacting to it. I wish it had no effect.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:41 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SimplyFree View Post
Bedtime! Goodnight day 12.....
I am proud of you
Old 04-27-2017, 09:55 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t give any more time to toxic people than I have to Tertor so I think you did really well. I would be glad not sad that all that is behind you

D
Old 04-27-2017, 10:04 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

good one tertor.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:11 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I had a challenge today. A friend was in town, and I was afraid to see her. I was afraid because she and I drank wine together- although I drank so much more than she did. I did want tosee her, so I decided to have dinner with her, and right away I told her I was going to AA, and what my story was. She was very supportive, she asked some questions, and she was happy for me. What a relief! Honesty in telling her my truth that I am an Alcoholic.Now is the start of day 19 AKA the rest of my life.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:24 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Good Morning & Hi All.

Morning of day 5 for me and I actually slept. I have not slept since my relapse and was starting to think I was never going to sleep without the bottle again. Small steps one day/night at a time.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:53 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Welcome kgirl41!

Great job Tertor, SimplyFree, Bright, Dreamsoffreedom and everyone else! Enjoy reading everyone's posts. We can do this!

I'm on Day 8 today. Went to another AA meeting last night, my first time in a women's group, they were amazing, so supportive! When I came home and went to bed, I suddenly realised I felt calm, I felt relief. Hmm, not unlike the feelings I've been looking for in the wrong place before... So I feel good, a little bit anxious for the long weekend ahead though, 3 days off... I'll be staying close to SR. Have a great Friday everyone!
Old 04-28-2017, 01:13 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verona View Post
Welcome kgirl41!

Great job Tertor, SimplyFree, Bright, Dreamsoffreedom and everyone else! Enjoy reading everyone's posts. We can do this!

I'm on Day 8 today. Went to another AA meeting last night, my first time in a women's group, they were amazing, so supportive! When I came home and went to bed, I suddenly realised I felt calm, I felt relief. Hmm, not unlike the feelings I've been looking for in the wrong place before... So I feel good, a little bit anxious for the long weekend ahead though, 3 days off... I'll be staying close to SR. Have a great Friday everyone!
Great job everybody. It sounds like a few of us had some struggles, but made it through the other side even stronger!!!!
Old 04-28-2017, 02:22 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Breighz View Post
I had a challenge today. A friend was in town, and I was afraid to see her. I was afraid because she and I drank wine together- although I drank so much more than she did. I did want tosee her, so I decided to have dinner with her, and right away I told her I was going to AA, and what my story was. She was very supportive, she asked some questions, and she was happy for me. What a relief! Honesty in telling her my truth that I am an Alcoholic.Now is the start of day 19 AKA the rest of my life.
That's fantastic! Well done 😊
Old 04-28-2017, 02:27 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Well done everyone is doing great.
Only day 2 here. Still feeling completely dedicated to my new way of life. Fully invested. I don't want this feeling to fade.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:35 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Good morning day 4 and everyone !

Went to bed feeling so good last night. Went to a seminar about healthy eating and of course, that means no booze! I had been eating that way for about a year when the alcohol went from (sobriety to) an occasional thing to a maximum daily habit. Looking forward to getting back to that!

I also remember my best friend who had cancer as a teenager in the early 80's. Got Hep C from the transfusions because they weren't screening then. But she had a full remission and lived a happy life for decades. She ended up getting cirrhosis thru no fault of her own (the hep c). They told her never to drink. She followed it strictly. Did everything she could to stay alive. But it got her at age 52.
I want to follow her inspirational story to take care of myself and not throw away my life.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day! You are worth it. Take care of yourself.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:07 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Shitzu i think that's a lovely thought and reason to be doing it xx

I take it from your name u like the breed? i have a Lhasa Apso and a Jack Russel.

well its day 46 and i'm thinking i may have to go to AA meeting tonight and get some motivation from the group and also help. I'm finding it hard in the evening as normally i will take myself to bed around 8pm and that's when the group is. I will try my hardest to make sure i go tonight, so hopefully tomo i will post that i went and have some happy things to say tomo xx

Have a great friday xx