Notices

Class of April 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 05-11-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

day 14 - two weeks sober today!
I had a really stressful day at work and i seemed unable to cencentrate properly and did some silly mistakes. Oh well, i have an AA meeting tonight, looking forward to it. and it stopped snowing here, such odd spring weather - a few day ago we had above 20 degrees C and sunshine, then suddenly 2 days of heavy snowfall
Old 05-11-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Had a retirement lunch today for a co-worker. Sitting around a table with a large group of loud women carrying on is too much for me to handle! Uggghhh. I had had enough about 30 minutes in and was looking forward to the end of it.

Then this afternoon I have another work function (a "team building" event) where I have to spend 1.5 hours with another set of co-workers (about 20 people) in a bowling alley. KILL.ME.NOW. I am not shy by any stretch of the imagination, but I am a true introvert. All this togetherness plus loud noises and shouting really drains me. I reach my quota very, very quickly.

I definitely won't be drinking over this, though. That's just not an option I will entertain.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Congrats on 14 and 21 days ST and Verona, and stay strong Pippo. I'm with you on group get-togethers. I'm not shy either, but lively group events usually aren't my thing, and I find them very draining. But maybe you will find something about the event to enjoy; sometimes it's just a matter of perspective.

Anyway, I'm on Day 17 and staying strong.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on the milestones guys. hope the day went fast Pippo

D
Old 05-12-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Day 15 sober Wishing you all a lovely sober weekend, what are you guys up to this weekend?
I am thinking about going hiking in the mountains again, but i need to see how the weather turns out, I don't fancy going out in bad weather and it's been changeable recently. I had my 2nd AA meeting yesterday and it was good, I really enjoy my local group, a lot of nice and warm hearted people there
Old 05-12-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Can I join you guys? I've been sober since about April 24. Prior to that I had almost four months of sobriety. I actually posted my recovery plan in the Newcomers forum and then promptly did NOT follow through on it.

So here I am.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
Had a retirement lunch today for a co-worker. Sitting around a table with a large group of loud women carrying on is too much for me to handle! Uggghhh. I had had enough about 30 minutes in and was looking forward to the end of it.

Then this afternoon I have another work function (a "team building" event) where I have to spend 1.5 hours with another set of co-workers (about 20 people) in a bowling alley. KILL.ME.NOW. I am not shy by any stretch of the imagination, but I am a true introvert. All this togetherness plus loud noises and shouting really drains me. I reach my quota very, very quickly.

I definitely won't be drinking over this, though. That's just not an option I will entertain.
Well, wouldn't you know it, I had a total BLAST at our bowling team building event! Who knew that I was so dang competitive?!?! I am completely drained, though, which I have found is an awesome new feeling. It's the relaxation I was seeking in alcohol, but without any of the horrible side effects. Could this be the answer to my woes - exercise and interacting with people??? Say it isn't so!
Old 05-12-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
Can I join you guys? I've been sober since about April 24. Prior to that I had almost four months of sobriety. I actually posted my recovery plan in the Newcomers forum and then promptly did NOT follow through on it.

So here I am.
Welcome! The more the merrier!
Old 05-12-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

So here I am.
Welcome MeSo, it's nice to have you with us.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
4 WEEKS TODAY!!! Wow, I can't believe I made it. I feel great! I'm still stewing a bit about my neighbors, but I'll get over it. Today is a perfect day!!!
Congratulations Pippo! Fantastic job! Good for you! You rock Pippo!
Old 05-12-2017, 07:57 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SimplyFree View Post
Golf ball size hail here today.....wrecking my happy thoughts .....alll my flower beds got pounded.
Oh No! condolences!
Old 05-12-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verona View Post
PippoRossi and LittleSongBird - congratulations!! That's awesome! You're doing great!

Day 19 for me... No cravings, but restless at night, don't know what to do with myself sometimes. So much time on my hands now, but sometimes I don't feel like doing anything. Trying to embrace these feelings too, maybe I don't have to do stuff all the time. It's ok to rest too. So relieved I no longer have "the internal debate" over whether I should or shouldn't have a drink... The mental obsession was the worst part for me!!! Now, time to get to work. Hope everyone has been doing well!! Happy Tuesday!
Good work Verona. You are doing well!
Old 05-12-2017, 08:11 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pianoman61 View Post
Today is day 13 for me. No real major cravings going on at all.

For some reason yesterday after work I got a headache, after meds and all I went to bed and still had one in the morning. I am not sure if this is a delayed withdrawal symptom or what. I have had no other suspected symptom for over a week.

PM
Hi Pianoman,
I had a non-stop headache until maybe two days ago. I still feel terrible but the headache went away. I am on day 28. I also have felt really flu-y and even missed a couple days of work last week because I was so exhausted I was non functional. I slept for those two days. I share your question...not sure if this is/was still withdrawal or if it is some wicked flu. I just know I feel great spiritually, emotionally and mentally but I continue to feel terrible physically after almost a month of sobriety. I am really convinced that this is my body trying to heal itself from all the toxins I dumped in it and that as they leave my body, they are making me feel like crap. I have no medical knowledge or evidence to support this theory! Lol. It does help keep me from picking up again though..as in.."What have you done to yourself.?You are not putting this poison in your body ever again!" So even if it is the longest flu in history, it is keeping me sober!
Old 05-12-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

So here I am.
Welcome!!
Old 05-12-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,
I haven't been on for two days but that is because I had my second AA meeting one night ( was great, I really like meetings) and last night I was at our city stadium cheering on our pro baseball team! I love going to games and I love our team! But was I ever triggered by wanting a beer. And I barely like beer! It was just being at the game..the only place where I ever really had an occasional beer.. I wasn't expecting to be triggered but I surfed the craving and made it through . So I am on day 28! I guess I will need a baseball plan since I have four more games to attend this season..one each month. I will figure it out.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:08 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tertor View Post
Hi Everyone,
I haven't been on for two days but that is because I had my second AA meeting one night ( was great, I really like meetings) and last night I was at our city stadium cheering on our pro baseball team! I love going to games and I love our team! But was I ever triggered by wanting a beer. And I barely like beer! It was just being at the game..the only place where I ever really had an occasional beer.. I wasn't expecting to be triggered but I surfed the craving and made it through . So I am on day 28! I guess I will need a baseball plan since I have four more games to attend this season..one each month. I will figure it out.
Well done on staying away from the beers at the game! This is something that worries me, so far in my soberity i have stayed away from events where beer is consumed and where i used to drink a lot. My last bander before i chose to quit drinking was mainly triggered by going to a soccer game, i always used to go to the fan's pub beofre the game and have a few, then have some on the bus to the stadium, and go back to the pub after the game and drink some more. I am really worried how to deal with this in the future, i loved the companionship of the fan club, but looking back it was just as much about beer as the soccer. I also worry about concerts - i have a lot of tickets for concerts and festivals in the summer, i love heavy metal music, but these kind of concerts and festivals are also places where beer flows, and i have been so used to get drunk when i attend a concert or a festival - but not going would make me very disappointed, having already bought my tickets, and i hope i can prove to myself i can go without drinking - in the past i often was looking forward to a concert for month and being so excited, just to get so drunk when I got there i barely remember anything
Old 05-13-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MeSoSober

D
Old 05-13-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberTyger View Post
Well done on staying away from the beers at the game! This is something that worries me, so far in my soberity i have stayed away from events where beer is consumed and where i used to drink a lot. My last bander before i chose to quit drinking was mainly triggered by going to a soccer game, i always used to go to the fan's pub beofre the game and have a few, then have some on the bus to the stadium, and go back to the pub after the game and drink some more. I am really worried how to deal with this in the future, i loved the companionship of the fan club, but looking back it was just as much about beer as the soccer. I also worry about concerts - i have a lot of tickets for concerts and festivals in the summer, i love heavy metal music, but these kind of concerts and festivals are also places where beer flows, and i have been so used to get drunk when i attend a concert or a festival - but not going would make me very disappointed, having already bought my tickets, and i hope i can prove to myself i can go without drinking - in the past i often was looking forward to a concert for month and being so excited, just to get so drunk when I got there i barely remember anything
I hear you SoberTyger! I have a U2 concert coming up next month. I will have to have a plan for that too! But we can do these things ST. I think they will be better sober. We will remember them. Lol. We won't do anything embarrassing to taint their memory. And, at my stadium at least, we can sign up that we are the designated driver for our group and win prizes! Free non-alcoholic drinks. Which is better than it sounds with the price of food and drink at the stadium where a hotdog and a pop ( soda) is $15.00 . Which reminds me that a can of beer costs $10 to $12 there and a large glass of wine costs $20.00. So think of the money we will save!! Yay us.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:02 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tertor View Post
I hear you SoberTyger! I have a U2 concert coming up next month. I will have to have a plan for that too! But we can do these things ST. I think they will be better sober. We will remember them. Lol. We won't do anything embarrassing to taint their memory. And, at my stadium at least, we can sign up that we are the designated driver for our group and win prizes! Free non-alcoholic drinks. Which is better than it sounds with the price of food and drink at the stadium where a hotdog and a pop ( soda) is $15.00 . Which reminds me that a can of beer costs $10 to $12 there and a large glass of wine costs $20.00. So think of the money we will save!! Yay us.
My summer vacation this year will be going to 4 different music festivals, one in Slovenia, 2 in Romania and one here in Norway. I just need to think how musch cheaper it will be now that I don't drink, usually i would have a beer in my hand every moment i was awake at a festival and i needed a huge budget to afford it. Luckily the 3 first festivals I will go with my girlfriend, who is not a heavy drinker at all, and she will happily stay away from drinking too rather than see me getting wasted and ruin it all for both of us, so hopefully I can have a lovely time with her and get to see all the bands i want to, rather than skip half the concerts because i get too drunk and too lazy to leave the beer tent. I still need to be careful and get a plan, because at a heavy metal mjusic festival 95% of the people will drink, and most will get drunk every night and party a lot, and I need a plan to fill the gaps inbetween the concerts i want to see, the time i usually spent hammering down beers. I think i will look up some attractions and sights near the festival grounds to go and see when there is no music playing, to have something interesting to spend my time on, rather than just waiting and watching everybody else get drunk.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberTyger View Post
My summer vacation this year will be going to 4 different music festivals, one in Slovenia, 2 in Romania and one here in Norway. I just need to think how musch cheaper it will be now that I don't drink, usually i would have a beer in my hand every moment i was awake at a festival and i needed a huge budget to afford it. Luckily the 3 first festivals I will go with my girlfriend, who is not a heavy drinker at all, and she will happily stay away from drinking too rather than see me getting wasted and ruin it all for both of us, so hopefully I can have a lovely time with her and get to see all the bands i want to, rather than skip half the concerts because i get too drunk and too lazy to leave the beer tent. I still need to be careful and get a plan, because at a heavy metal mjusic festival 95% of the people will drink, and most will get drunk every night and party a lot, and I need a plan to fill the gaps inbetween the concerts i want to see, the time i usually spent hammering down beers. I think i will look up some attractions and sights near the festival grounds to go and see when there is no music playing, to have something interesting to spend my time on, rather than just waiting and watching everybody else get drunk.
Going to see the sights and attractions in between the band is an awesome plan. You will have something to look forward to and you won't just be filling time, you'll be having a great time seeing new things!