Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 26

Old 07-16-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats Mirage!!!

OMG! I cant believe I overlooked Mirage’s Soberversary! Wow! 8 years today! Plus about 4 months, if you asked me.

What an incredible life feat! You are an inspiration. I hope you go get your favorite meal or dessert and do something special for yourself today. You are an anchor for the rest of us on this feed. Thank you for that!

Congrats!

Lofty
Old 07-17-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Aw, thanks you guys! You made me all teary eyed. I'm pretty private about it in real life. Not very many people know so having you all is very important to me. My husband and I go out to dinner every year, so that'll be nice! Every year, I post some kind of motivational quote about change or improving one's self on facebook even though no one knows why. lol Anyway, thank you. xo

Glad to hear you have some support at home, Aussie, that's great!
You and Lofty are doing great, take it a day at a time and be proud of your time! After awhile it won't feel like you're quitting anything, you're just gaining health and a clear head. It becomes your new normal. I know you both can do this. It's just booze, it's not necessary or magical or even fun anymore. Leave it behind! Have a great day, all!
Old 07-18-2019, 12:51 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Wise words, Mirage. Thank you.

Cant sleep. Stuffed up and probably fighting allergies to the dog. She’s probably rolled around in the bed when I wasn't looking and left her dander behind. Too bad, too, as I have a busy day tomorrow, or today, actually.

Otherwise, life is still sober and bright. Grateful for that.

Lofty
Old 07-19-2019, 09:09 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Just checking in. Plugging along without drinking. Hit an energy wall yesterday, and was kind of tempted, but resisted. Realized how behind I am in my work. Plus, saw a post from a high school contemporary who retired. I am nowhere close to that and it kind of gets me down. But, all I can do is stay focused and roll my sleeves up and get to work, right?

Stay sober with me,

Lofty
Old 07-19-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  
orangutan

Still sober , my husband had half a bottle of wine with a steak last night and I wasn't even interested. It feels different this time. Lets hope this feeling lasts , I usually get really envious that I can't drink if others are . That is my big downfall.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried to think through the envy to the sickness, and the shame Aussie.

I've gained so much sober.
Nowadays I think 'I can't drink? big deal'

D
Old 07-19-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I tried to think through the envy to the sickness, and the shame Aussie.

I've gained so much sober.
Nowadays I think 'I can't drink? big deal'

D
That is what I am trying to do , I am telling myself "you will be sorry in the morning" so far so good.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:39 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Keep strong, Aussie. I’ve wanted to have a beer yesterday and today after a couple challenging days, but it doesn't stop with just a beer forme, 9 times of 10. It stops when the booze in the house is gone or I’m too tired or too drink for more. It only stops when ot stops. And the silver lining will make me glad the next day. I know how tough it can be with a drinking spouse. Glad you are staying strong.

Lofty
Old 07-20-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  
orangutan

Thanks Lofty , I am the same, I would rather have nothing to drink than only one . I still feel like I am in control , husband was drinking again last night but it didn't worry me. Also the cooler weather makes it easier to stay sober , summer brings out a thirst in me.

Love to all.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:38 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Great job, you guys. I know it can be hard.
I feel like there are have been a lot of social drinking events for us, too, lately. I've about had it. Had a dinner out planned for a friend's 50th, Friday night but I sent my husband without me. I'd had a long and tiring day, plus I'm just tired of the drinking everywhere I go. I just wanted to stay home.

Stay strong, remember you're not missing anything. It won't make you happier!
xo
Old 07-21-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I am agreed. Drinking is everywhere these days. Its like its now part of every activity in life. If it didn’t dull me so much, I’d be there with drink in hand. But, it does. I watched the 2019 version of Apollo 11 last night at home and had to chuckle when a guy in the crowd on his camper lifted a Busch beer awaiting the launch. He’d fit right in today. But watching my father in law suffer greatly from decades of heavy drinking is helping me keep strong. The body goes, but the mind doesn't have to.

3 weeks today. And getting things done. Re-developing interests. Starting to have interest in future endeavors. Starting to dig out of the holes I’ve created. It’s daunting, but feels good, at the same time.

Good for you for staying in last night, Mirage. I’ve done that lately too and knew it was the right thing.

Lofty
Old 07-21-2019, 01:14 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I am agreed. Drinking is everywhere these days. Its like its now part of every activity in life. If it didn’t dull me so much, I’d be there with drink in hand. But, it does. I watched the 2019 version of Apollo 11 last night at home and had to chuckle when a guy in the crowd on his camper lifted a Busch beer awaiting the launch. He’d fit right in today. But watching my father in law suffer greatly from decades of heavy drinking is helping me keep strong. The body goes, but the mind doesn't have to.

3 weeks today. And getting things done. Re-developing interests. Starting to have interest in future endeavors. Starting to dig out of the holes I’ve created. It’s daunting, but feels good, at the same time.

Good for you for staying in last night, Mirage. I’ve done that lately too and knew it was the right thing.

Lofty
Old 07-21-2019, 06:28 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Administrator

I saw drinkers everywhere when I was drinking or just quit - now I tend to see the non drinkers ...

D
Old 07-22-2019, 12:08 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

It is true that we seem to seek out those like ourselves. Like when you buy a car, you see many more of the model you bought than you did before. As I become more experienced as a non-drinker, I will likely see more of the non-drinking activities and folks around me, I’m sure. Good point, Dee
Old 07-22-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Addiction is serious

Hey Marchers. Its been an enlightening and blessed 3 weeks in so many ways. But its been tragic in others. I stopped drinking on July 1, over 3 weeks ago. Since then, I have had numerous people in my life encounter serious difficulties, and I have been present in mind and heart to be able to help them, which would probably not have happened if I were drinking. The most recent tragedy I learned of today. A child of a family friend was taken by overdose this past Friday at age 20. My area of the country has a rampant problem with heroin. Although I dont know that was the cause, my heart grieves and mourns for them profusely. I cant imagine. He had been friends with my kids earlier in life as were the whole family. Having been prescribed opioids for years due to pain, I have some idea of the addiction they cause, and how they rewire the brain. If you pray, I’d ask for your prayers for this family and all others who suffer this nightmare. There but for the grace of God go I.

Lofty
Old 07-22-2019, 03:04 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry Lofty,. Prayers sent.

D
Old 07-22-2019, 06:53 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Oh Lofty, I'm so sorry. That is an unimaginable loss, my thoughts are with you and them.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:55 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

I don't think I know any non-drinkers. lol No, actually one of my very good girlfriends is a recovering alcoholic. But honestly, most everyone around me does. Don't get me wrong, they're not all getting sloshed, just a lot of having a few drinks, and I even get tired of that.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Over the years, when I’ve been in contemplation, I look around when I enter restaurants and take stock of how many beers vs soda or water sit in front of guests. I’m always surprised to see it about 50% or less with alcohol in front of them, unless its a bar. But I’ve always associated wings, for example, with beer. But not everyone does. I am a foodie, and like to match food and drink when drinking. Or am I choosing the food based on drink? Not any longer. Yes, I wish I could balance the drink, but I dont seem to be able to, and my wife and I have historically enabled each other to rationalize both the pre-party warm up and the post party drinks before bed. That’s really no way to live. It’s expensive, and makes you lose quality sleep. It’s a very slippery slope for me. And talk about rationalization! I am praying my strength and determination to be a non-drinker can endure. Tonight will be a test of sorts. We pre purchased a 4 course dinner at a favorite wine bar before I quit. All in the party know I am in DryJuly so I wont get pressure from anyone, and hopefully not from myself. I’m not planning a drink, but this place is a favorite, and a very social venue; we always meet new folks there. If the evening ends and I have had fun without alcohol, it will be a win.

in reality, I dont get as drunk as I have historically in a setting, but drinking 3-6 drinks or more, up to a half qt of vodka on most days never lets me live in fullness of presence at any time during the days. It impedes my executive function and makes my inner gyroscope wobble during all waking hours. It’s a fake life. And an unproductive, myopic, selfish one as well.

Lofty

Last edited by LoftyIdeals; 07-23-2019 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-23-2019, 04:12 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

"I'm not planning a drink, but..."
Oooh Lofty, be careful with that type of thinking. You pretty much gave yourself an out there. What you need to think is "I won't drink tonight, even if...". When (not if) the evening ends without you drinking, yes it's a win. Whether or not you had fun, honestly. That's your secondary concern, not your primary. I found I didn't always have a fun night out early in sobriety. No big deal, all that matters is that I didn't drink. Sorry, I know you don't need the lecture, but red flags were popping up all over that post. I hope you enjoy your evening and I hope we see you here tomorrow feeling strong! xo