Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 26

Old 07-08-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thank you, Dee. Made it through week 1 sober. Cant say there weren't a few tempting moments, especially after working in the high heat this weekend and attending a social celebration. But, I didn’t drink. And folks understood. I simply said I was having a DryJuly, and had goals to meet. Among those goals is self-(re)discovery. Can’t be done without a clear mind, in my case.

I hope we are all living our fullest this summer!

Lofty

Last edited by LoftyIdeals; 07-08-2019 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-08-2019, 03:17 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Hey, that's great news, Lofty! Congrats on a week and getting through the 4th! We are always here for you to root you on. Even if we're not on this site, we're rooting you on in spirit. I really want sobriety for you. I hate to think of all your ups and downs and struggles with it, I just wish you peace. You deserve it after all the energy you've given to alcohol. This is of no matter, but what is the longest you've gone without drinking? I can't remember.

Not much new here. Had a good hot and humid 4th of July up north. I've realized that summer is not my favorite season. I always look forward to it cuz our winters are so cold, but heat just zaps my energy and mood. I always feel my best mentally and physically in the fall. I know Dee and Aussie struggle in the heat, too. It's not even that overly hot here but I still don't like it. lol I always see on Facebook, all these pictures of people at outdoor concerts, on boats, etc. and I really just wanna turn the air conditioning up and curl up under a blanket. haha Ok, I'm not that bad, but still. Screw summertime fun!!

Have a great week my friends! xo
Old 07-08-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey Mirage
Congrats on your week Lofty - thats great
Congrats to you too Aussie- 6 months?

D
Old 07-09-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Thanks for the kudos, Mirage and Dee. To answer your question, my longest stretch was the original one while in college; 2 years. I have also had a 1.5 yr period and several that were 2-6 mos. I have typically tried to take 40 days of Lent free from alcohol, but failed the last couple times. This time, I am disconnecting it from potential religious guilt. July is a great time for me to start because I like to be physically active in summers. And I dont mind sweating it out during the summers. I got used to heat by LA summers as a kid. In fact, I replenished this weekend with a gallon/day of decaf green tea. 8 tea bags per gallon pitcher costs less than $1. A lot cheaper than beer! And great antioxidants.

Right now my biggest challenge is the introversion that ensues my initial launch. It can be misunderstood by others, and I dont always feel the need to explain it to those who should already understand I am just trying to pull from inner strength. But, its their problem, not mine.

My life has not turned out as I had envisioned, thus far. I am a better, more capable person than I’ve represented. And I need to again live that potential, even if I must be alone in that endeavor. When I am drinking, I’m a soft malleable being who will sway with the wind, and regret actions and compromised decisions that are against my grain. Part of my goal is to regain my center in that regard. And, yes, it will have to be selfish at first to reach my true center again, which has been relinquished far too long.

When I live as a drinker, I live a fraudulent life. When I am sober, I live naturally, as myself. And I am weary of life’s games and others expectations. They haven't served me well.

Thanks for being here.

Lofty
Old 07-09-2019, 04:47 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Hey Dee!

Lofty..That's some really interesting self-aware stuff right there. I'm glad you're trying new things, too.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:08 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

10 days into DryJuly. AridAugust is next. What then? RememberSeptember? SoberOctober? Gotta have a theme, right? I am finding taking it by month is better for me than taking it by day. Not so much dwelling on the drinking as setting a short term, repeatable goal, with life objectives achieved as the reward. Productivity is increasing daily, as are health objectives. My repaired shoulder is near 100% and allowing me to do my putzing and piddling jobs around the house as time allows. Physical therapy is strengthening my body and I am starting to regain a physique and energy. Started riding my bike again this morning with the goal to return to 3 rides a week. Was able to build some things this week to help folks in need, and have another project slated for the weekend. Even got back on a ladder last weekend to power wash the house. I havent been able to do these type things for 1.5 years when I injured myself. And prior to that, had no resolve to do so in my pitiful situation. I’m beginning to realize gratitude and boundaries and gifts and limitations. The wobble of the inner gyroscope is beginning to spin with better balance.

Wishing all a great day today!

Lofty
Old 07-10-2019, 04:37 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL my theme is being the best me living the best life Lofty

D
Old 07-11-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
orangutan

Checking in

Lofty so glad your doing well . Keep moving forward.

Dee I don't deserve any congrats, I have been off the rails for a couple of weeks, I don't know what the hell is wrong with me, I know I can't drink and even a heart attack earlier in the year isn't enough to stop me I keep going back . .
I am on DAY 4 trying again.
Glad to see my March friends still here.
Love to all.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear you've been off the rails Aussie but you're back on day 4 - I think they still deserves congrats.

I think the older we get tho the harder it is to bounce back each time.

Anything you can think to do differently this time, I'd try it.

we selfishly want to keep you around for a long time

D
Old 07-11-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  
orangutan

Thanks Dee

this might work.
I am going to give it my all.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:07 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Aussie, I am so sorry you struggled, but glad you are back. That's what is most important.

My wife and I scored free tix to see Peter Frampton’s Farewell Tour tonight along with Jason Bonham’s Evening with Led Zeppelin. I enjoyed this show so much better stone cold sober than most shows I’ve seen recently unsober. A lot of fun and really enjoyed the music. He played old songs and new from his recent blues album release. Good stuff!

hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

Lofty
Old 07-12-2019, 09:46 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Administrator

I saw Peter Frampton back in the 90s - great show - envious Lofty

D
Old 07-14-2019, 05:16 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hey, Dee! I saw him in the 90s too, and in the 70’s and 80’s as well. Humble Pie opened for Van Halen, which was my first real concert venue I attended. Talented guy. Intro’d that voice sound effect that continues today.

On to the midpoint of Dry July! Going very well!

Lofty
Old 07-14-2019, 02:39 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Oooh, I heard that concert was good. I'm a huge Zeppelin fan, they're my absolute fav so I know I'd like that Jason B. concert, too. I've seen Page and Plant in concert a couple times.

Oh Aussie, I'm so sorry to hear you're struggling. Much love to you, I wish I could do something to help you.

I was away for the weekend with my husband at a birthday party for his best friend's dad. It was nice but a ton of drinking going on. I was so happy to finally hit the hay at 1am completely sober. I had a big smile on my face as I got into bed (alone, as my husband was still out). I was happy to know I was gonna wake up feeling great; that feeling never gets old. I celebrate 8 years in a few days, July 17, and going to bed sober after a party still makes me happy. And yep, I stuck out a bit as people kept offering me stuff, but who cares? I'm proud.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:29 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Administrator

yay mirage

and yay for you too Lofty and Aussie - let's own this week

D
Old 07-15-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Nice going Mirage! You put a smile on my face, as I understood that satisfaction of experiencing and retiring sober, especially recently. I’ve decided my habits and decisions are no one else’s business. And sobriety pays dividends. I’m still adjusting to that, but not shunning events and appearances as I have before. Just experiencing them differently.

My wife has tix for next week to see Train and GooGoo Dolls. I passed, as they are after my time, so she is taking a girlfriend. But, we are contemplating a pretty cool festival in Kentucky in September featuring a lot of great acts, including Robert Plant’s new project. We were gonna go to NOLA for their festival in May, as Rolling Stones were featured, but got in too late. Better anyway, as they had to cancel due to Jagger’s health.

Life goes on. Experiencing some illnesses among parents lately, which puts life in a more serious perspective for all.

Continuing to grow in sobriety comfortably each day.

Lofty
Old 07-16-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hey there, Marchers!

like Dee suggested, I am owning this week. How about you, Aussie? It’s not too late to do so, the week is not half over.

Feeling a return of executive function skills. Man, do they go numb when I am in drinking mode. Decisions, priorities and intuition are starting to alight again in my mind. And it feels good. It’s also high time for it, as my wife and her folks need me to “be there” for them in a health crisis affecting her Dad.

It feels good again to be Lofty taking care of business.

Have a great day, everyone.

Lofty
Old 07-16-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  
orangutan

Well it's July 17th here so ………

MIRAGE
Congratulations-sparkling-purple-helicopter-fly-insects.gif
[B][/8 YEARSB]

DAY 9
doing this a lot easier this time , my husband is taking a break also , takes away a lot of the temptation , one thing that really makes me want to drink is when he is drinking with his mates.

Lofty it sounds like you have your head in the right space . Keep going .

Oh to be young again. I couldn't go to a concert these days , I like to be in bed by 8.30 .

Old 07-16-2019, 02:49 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Mirage and you too Aussie and Lofty - any milestone is a good one .

D