Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 29

Old 02-19-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Happy belated birthday Freein!

Sorry I've been away guys, work and school have been kicking my ass. Good news is I'm grateful for the opportunity. I have a week break from school starting tomorrow, so I will try to be around more this week.

Life is good on my end. I just had 13 months a few days back, have nearly paid for all the costs for my trip to South America in May, and just had someone request that I sponsor them. He's a good friend who I'm thrilled has decided to give recovery a chance.

Recovery isn't all gum drops and rose petals below my feet though. It has ups and downs just like life in active addiction. The difference now is I'm not in some alcoholic drug induced fog. I can see in front of me and behind me. I have perspective and know even though I might be in a valley now, I see the peak I was at behind me and the one I'm climbing towards in front of me. Much love to ya'll and I'm still in for the bargain.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Noolan

good to hear from you

yeah my life is not all rose petals either, but a bad day is just a bad day now, not a bad week, month, or year

D
Old 02-20-2017, 04:36 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

I can totally relate to that too. The "downs" in life make the "ups" much brighter though

Good to hear things are going well Noolan. Sounds like you're busy doing great stuff at the moment.

Had lunch with my Dad yesterday, between visits to my Mum. He was worried about an odd smell he had noticed in one of bedrooms. Being the dutiful daughter I helped investigate, and we found that it was coming through a vent which led up to the attic. So I opened up the loft hatch, and climbed the ladder to investigate further. The smell was fowl - I decided there must be something dead up there. So I came down again to put on some rubber gloves before delving any further. By the time I'd got back to the loft, my dad had already clambered up there himself. As I poked my head through the loft hatch I was greeted with "I've found it!", and dad triumphantly holding up a dead rat! I summoned all of my courage and promptly ran back down the ladder screaming, leaving my 86 year old father to fend for himself. From then on, my sole contribution was to hand him up a couple of plastic bags!
We joked later, that it was a good job I was on hand to help sort out such a crisis
I know my limitations.

Have a great start to the week everyone.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Good about the rat- they suck. I was bitten by one recently (not a reflection of the recovery place). Horrid creatures. Good for you.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Great set up on your attic discovery Freein !

Thanks for the new word too ,.....to "clamber " ...perfect !!!
Old 02-20-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

We've got rats too.....

Big bloody bush rats.

Using a cage and peanut butter balls with coconut flakes.

Then drive them off.

It's hard to like a rat!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:19 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Yikes! Sounds like rats are just not popular anywhere. They are incredibly successful creatures though, seem to be able to adapt to anything. It was that film "The Rats" that did it for me. Nasty.

Anyway, on a brighter note, I can hear the birds waking up outside, so it's time for breakfast.

Have a great day all.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Greetings ya'll!

Just checking in. Life is good on my end. Cruised through another work week sans tomorrow. School starts back up on Monday, which I am excited for. Oh and I discovered a recipe blog called Budget Bytes. It's fall of cheap and amazing recipes, check it out!

Recovery wise, I'm doing well. I've made an effort to meditate every day this week and so far so good. I'm sensing some push back from the person that asked me to sponsor them. It's concerning, but I know I can't make someone want this. Anyways, in for the bargain!
Old 02-23-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
Administrator

in too - hey Noolan

D
Old 02-23-2017, 10:20 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good to hear from you Noolan & that your fired up to go back to school! Will check out the site

Has been a long week here, having a bit of a tough time holding up in my room a lot with the cat & bunny....not good.

In for the bargain
Old 02-23-2017, 10:55 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

What's going on Mariah? What support have you got there? Can you focus on the things you'd like to be doing this weekend? Let us know if we can help.

I'm for the Bargain too.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

I'm in too.

Tennis championships today. I've entered the singles and doubles. All on grass courts. It's great with players of different abilities. I've improved quite a bit over the past few months.

But there is a big wind here today. The older players always know how to use the elements.

I'm just going to smash it and hope for the best......

Hope all are well and sober...
Old 02-24-2017, 08:41 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

That is great Up, how did you do? Fun way to get some good exercise.

I'm better Free, Onward I go. Glad I'll have a morning at home tomorrow. Safe & warm, 2 things not to be taken for granted.

See you tomorrow Fools
Old 02-25-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Obo, I didn't realise you were a competition tennis player. Hope you have a great time. I was never very good at tennis, I couldn't seem to grasp that the idea was to place the ball in the empty part of the court. I was always too courteous and automatically just returned it gently to my opponent. Goodness, the hammering I used to get was quite astonishing.

Mariah, glad to hear you're feeling better today

OH has this mad idea that the house needs redecorating today. So I'll be dutifully wielding a paint brush and making a colossal mess....who knows what damage will be done by the end of the day? It's a worry!

Have a great weekend all.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Won my first singles round. Against a bloke who thought he had me. Big comeback and win by Obosob.

Second round massive loss to the number one ranked player. Barely won a point. Back to reality pretty quickly.

Having issues with wasted time. Missed opportunity. Drinking sure did cost me a lot. A bloke I went to school with is now a SC barrister on a huge case in the courts. Another a MP for that liberal party. I had both these guys beaten before I became a drunk.

It's tough on the ego coming home.....
Old 02-25-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

. Hey guys !

Not much time I have online just now ,.... was driving the bike back from a midday meeting at work Thursday and got hit by a commercial box truck,....airlifted over to Ga. to a big hospital,....and woke up their out of a coma Thursday Afternoon. They let me out of ICU yesterday midday and my daughter had already arrived from Tenn. What a relief to see her in Savannah. !

Anyway, I broke a bunch of bones in my face and a lotta ribs , and a toe,....buch of nasty road rash,.... etc, .etc,.. still clean and sober !!

Back home in SC , but have plastic surgery and various things to attend to "going forward " ,....... thank goodness for sobriety in this particular situation !?!!

Will keep y'all apprized of things in a few more days !
Old 02-25-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  
Administrator

Obo - never to late to become who you want to be.

I've done more in the last ten years than I did in the 25 before that...what's more I love my life

Who'd want to be a MP anyway?

D
Old 02-25-2017, 04:59 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Holy **** Tops, I will keep you in my thoughts and vibes! Way to channel the positive in the face of adversity!

Obos, I've had those feelings too in getting sober and seeing what others around me have achieved in the meantime. Like all my negative feelings, I process them but don't live in them. We have one life and one shot. Lamenting about what I could have been will keep me sick. You're in the fight of your life and didn't quit. Keep it up! Also it's awesome you're active in competitive sports!

Mariah, I hope the rest and time to yourself is refreshing! I hope you enjoy the recipes as much as I do!

Freein, I hope the painting goes well!
Old 02-25-2017, 09:51 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Oh Up, I'm so sorry.... thinking of you & prayers said for quick healing. Glad your daughter is with you.

Nice day with Nephew & Nieces. Nephew is spending the night.....nice to have his company.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:35 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  
Administrator

Geez Tops...I'm glad you're ok

Prayers and good wishes for you, man

D