Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 11-11-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Re-Member

12+ drinks a day is a lot for anyone, Miramira. Be kind to yourself while your body and mind begin healing.

Installing a new door in your house is pretty symbolic on day one, emme. Have a wonderful night.

Time for work. Talk to everyone later tonight or tomorrow morning. Don't take that first drink no matter what. I never woke up sober and regretting that I didn't drink the day before.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Miramira you mirror my situation exactly. Only difference is that I am no longer sweating. Sounds like you are still detoxing, but I'm no doctor. You will probably feel a bit better "sweatwise" tomorrow, Day 5. Congrats on Day 4.

I can relate to all of the rest, but know deep in my heart that drinking is not the cure. Anxiety is truly debilitating I know, but let's press on.

Real proud that you have continued to post to express the way that you feel. That takes a lot of courage, and something I'm not very skilled at either. I'm the defensive joker, but this is serious stuff so trying to change that, whilst still being able to laugh. Laugh Kookaburra, laugh. Sober Kookaburra

I think the honest expression of our feelings, in the knowledge that we will not be judged, is fundamental to our recovery. I'm in, if you're in. Coupla aussie battlers

You still watching the Cricket Phoenix? Can't stand it when Sth Africa wins because I can never forget apartheid.

Hope everyone is travelling well, and I would have plumbed for the coffee Casey
Old 11-11-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

R.I.P. Leonard Cohen.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks Steely. Helps to know I'm not alone.
I always laugh when I hear a kookaburra! Love them.
Aussie battlers through and through.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Kookaburra having a chuckle.
Just for you Steely.
And for anyone else who needs a good old Aussie chuckle.
https://youtu.be/S0ZbykXlg6Q
Old 11-11-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Interesting- I know an aboriginal elder. He has had a life that makes mine look like a picnic. The kookaburra is his totem. In the stories of his mob, the kookaburra is laughing on the outside because it is sad on the inside. He laughs a lot. A great inspiration to keep on keeping on.
Just a thought about very early detox stuff- it can be serious. I stopped by myself- had seizures (son found me). The last time was pretty hellish. I would strongly suggest to anyone feeling very physically bad to see a doctor- there may be a safety factor for personal physical health.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

So just went to make myself and my son a berry and orange smoothie and put vinegar in it instead of agave syrup!!
Am I really sober??
Old 11-11-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

That IS interesting Phoenix! Maybe we can have the Kook as our totem too!
Old 11-11-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

That was so beautiful �� Miramira when I heard the Kookaburra laughing I started laughing and crying all at the same time. You made my day. Thank you so.

Oh yeah, I tried to put the broom in the fridge haha. You are not alone sister.

I'm up for the Kookaburra totem, and thanks for that Phoenix, it was a great story, and definitely reason to keep on keeping on. Can't let the Kookaburra down, can't let ourselves down.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Aw Steely! Hugs
Old 11-11-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

So after an initial day 2 blip and restarting I'm now day 4 and most importantly I have conquered my first sober Friday...woohoo! Looking forward to getting through the rest of the weekend and hitting day 7...feels like a big milestone
Old 11-11-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Checking in on this quiet Friday evening ~ I used to think it was boring but now I enjoy it. Plus, not being at the bar acting a damn drunken fool is really refreshing!

Sending hugs to all for the weekend ! We got this!
Old 11-11-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspiration Phoenix and Steely. I now have a new profile pic and signature.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Congrats Emzeh, was wondering where you were. Day 4 woohoo!

So true Purplrks. I'm dead boring when I'm drunk, people head for the hills to go file their fingernails

Your avatar is so beautiful Miramira, I wish I had have thought it. Sobriety turned you into a creative genius

This is the best. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:47 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

When I was drinking at my heaviest, mira, I'd have 8 to 12 beers 3-4x a week. When I quit that time (1 out of 100 attempts) I was sweating bullets. It'll pass. It'll get better.

Now my pattern has been 1-3 binges a month. So the last detox wasn't quite as intense.

Thank you all so much for the advice on the wedding tomorrow. The holidays coming up are another concern.

I just want to live sober. Why in the heck is that such a hurdle?

Day 45 coming to a close.

Casey.... I too wish to nap. Hibernate, in fact.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Happy to share Steely. You were the inspiration. Your totem too!
Old 11-11-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Likewise me (too) blackbird. I reckon if it's improving in whatever measure we are on the right learning curve. God, the sweat....wake in a lather. Slowly improving thank God, that last one was a doozy.

I've asked myself that same question blackbird...why such a hurdle? Seems that eventually it becomes the simplest question ever asked. Alcohol is the great pretender until unmasked, imo.

You will be fine at the wedding, great advice all 'round. I fell down the stairs at my youngest sister's wedding, it's was not pretty. Have a great time, you will be so pleased and proud the following day, and days thereafter. Let's stick together.

Hey Mira, I just read your signature for the first time and it's true, been laughing about it for ages A laughing heart.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Home from work fairly early for a Friday night. It was still a reasonable profitable and easy one. I've actually been home for a little while already but got wrapped up in Skyrim for a bit. But now it's time to watch some television and wind down. Going to try to go to bed reasonably early for me tonight. I slept AMAZINGLY well last night and hope tonight is a repeat.

Originally Posted by Miramira View Post

I was reluctant to get on here at that time because I didn't want to be whining and embarrassing myself but one of the first pieces of advice I got when I logged in here was post! Especially when you don't feel like posting. So I followed that advice and decided that what others think of me is way less important (if at all) than the alternative.
This is advice we all need to remember and follow. Thanks for sharing, Miramira. Hope your day is going well despite the vinegar smoothie. Loved the kookaburra chuckle as well!

I had a Cohen soundtrack going on in my house most of the day, Steely.

Congrats on day 4 and a sober Friday, emzeh. Thanks for checking in!

Amen to not being a "damn drunken fool," Purplrks, whether it's at the bar or at home alone, which is where I did most of my drinking the last few years.

Let us know how the wedding goes, bblackbirdflyy. We'll be thinking of you.

Time for some television and bed. Thanks to each and every one of you for keeping me sober one more day!

If you're struggling right now, please please please post and give us a chance to help you. You're not in this alone! We've all been there, done that, most of us very recently in fact. Remember a drink is not the answer. It's the problem.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

So checking in on my first sober Saturday morning! My partner has commented on how awake I look and that I never look like this when I wake up, so that was some great feedback to keep me going.

I'm going to see a Thin Lizzy tribute band tonight so have appointed myself designated driver, it's far enough away that there is no way I would have a drink and leave my car if I was tempted - if it was closer I would have made my excuses and stayed away. I was worried that my Dad (who is someone I have always had a drink with socially) would give me the third degree but when I told him I wasn't drinking he just said 'okay' so I guess I needn't have worried at all. I have chosen my drink of soda for the evening (the wedding tips in previous posts came in very handy - thankyou) and have planned a nice big meal for before we go.

Happy sober Saturday everyone!
Old 11-12-2016, 02:03 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

A quick Saturday morning check-in. No sleep and feeling pretty bad here on day one. No more taper though, I'm toughing this out. I mostly can't get a taper right anyway. Last week I said, OK, no more vodka, only wine. I walked out with a 3 liter box, lol. What the hell kind of taper is that?? I remember thinking oh well, at least its' not a 5 liter box. I really, really hate alcohol these days.

Posting before you take that first drink works, it really works. Trouble is I tend to slip out the back door instead. That does not work. So I will be more accountable to all of you. We can do this together.

Miramira I hope things settle down for you soon. It usually takes about 5 days before I feel like a human again, so hang in there. Go to a doc if things don't settle.

Have a great and sober day everyone!