Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I would like to join the November class per Dee's suggestion. I'm a member of the March class but I have a problem with relapse!

I've relapsed every month so far this year.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Day 13 today.... The intense physical cravings come less and less often, but I still expect them to stick around for a while, I'm prepared.

My sleep has improved in the amount I can sleep during the night but the quality is still bad. The first hours after getting up I feel confused, anxious and like I can't focus on anything without a drink first. My thoughts a just rushing around randomly. But it gets better after a while.

I start to see a pattern what times I really miss drinking, it's usually after getting up, in the mid-afternoon, the mid-evening and late evening, maybe an hour befor I go to bed. That's the times when I would have a drink so I think it's my brain remembering the habit.

My mood is slowly starting to stabilise a bit, I feel less oversensitive.

I still feel jealous when I see other people drink but it's getting better. I just remind myself it's not THAT style of drinking I miss (a glass of wine with dinner or a beer with their colleagues after work). It's the shot of vodka I miss in the morning and no normal person does that so I don't have anything to be jealous of. I try to see drinking like I did it and drinking like they might do it as two completely different things.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Congrats on 13 days Kevlar.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Day 1

Day 1 again for me. I hate this. I don't know why I drank last night, the craving came from nowhere. But I didn't reach out so I'm having to reset my day count. Please god let this be the last of it. Really need some support.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I totally understand sad girl, day 1 for me too. Tomorrow will be better, we can do this.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I want to do this.

Day 1. No pills. I'm scared and feeling anxious.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

To all of you on day 1, just remember the anxiety will get better eventually. And if you stay strong this time, you'll never have to go through this again.

I didn't think I could make it on day 1 (especially the first night when my whole body was shaking and I was losing my mind) but I knew it's the only way to go if I want to feel better on the long run.

12 days later it's still hard work but much easier already, just remember the bad feelings will pass. Your brain and body are confused. But they will get used to sobriety and you will feel better!

I know you probably know this already but for me, reading it again and again helps. I tend to forget it when I feel hopeless and the worst.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by imsooverthis View Post
Hello everyone!
I joined about a month ago but have never posted. Have also continued to attempt to moderate my drinking since joining but, as you all well know, it hasn't worked. So here I am, on day 2 and excited to join the November class. Yesterday was probably the first Halloween I have spend sober in a very long time. Working on a recovery plan, hopefully posting here often and just started reading Don't let the bastards grind you down. I have already gotten so much useful information from this site, looking forward to continuing!
Welcome SR imsooverthis and great that you're posting!
You made me chuckle...don't let the bastards grind you down...I can apply that to a lot of my situations
Old 11-01-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Welcome to November beerbgone, determined99, sadsadgirl and Ruby13!
Congrats to 13 day Kevlar.

I felt a bit intimidated when I joined end of May this year but it's so nice and welcoming and most of all supportive here and it doesn't take long to make friends!

Now I look forward to logging on to read the posts and connect with my SR friends.

You can do it, one day at a time and they will soon add up!
Old 11-01-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks Elke!
Old 11-01-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good morning (here) world. The posts here are straight from the heart. Very raw, very honest. A few things I remind myself of that may be of use. The day/month/year/decade count. Very important of course- to stop drinking- the date kind of sticks. Relapse does happen, so obsessing over what day it is as a negative perception does not help. The hard part for me is accepting honesty and getting on with stuff without that horrible stuff like fear, loathing, shame, guilt blah. Can't change what has been. Tomorrow has not happened yet, although important to keep in mind. The only moment that really exists is now. What you are reading is already in the past. This moment makes a difference. Past moments are my reference library- my organic personal Wikapedia. I take out the useful information, leave the emotional negatives in the bin and get on with it. In a perfect world that is. It is something I try and do. More often than not it gets me what I need. I also remind myself don't drink. Drinking is dumb.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, been lurking for a long time but finally plucked up the courage to sign up. Special hello to Ruby as I'm trying to rid myself of a pill addiction too. Having a tough time at work- need to remind myself that pills won't help but give me another problem to drag me down. I have a plan (Dee!) and for once am following it. Good luck all, let's make this a good and sober month together
Ps any Brits watching the Pride of Britain awards? Some very inspiring people right there
Old 11-01-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 13 kevlarsjal and welcome imsooverthis Ironhorse, beerbgone, sadsadgirl & Ruby

D
Old 11-01-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Can I join the November group. Relapsed after seven years?
Old 11-01-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

So close to just throwing in the towel at the moment, the stress of being off work due to illness, and just other little things not going my way are really starting to take its toll on me now , tonight I've been so close to just reaching for the bottle, really don't know what's stopped me
Old 11-01-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by James90 View Post
So close to just throwing in the towel at the moment, the stress of being off work due to illness, and just other little things not going my way are really starting to take its toll on me now , tonight I've been so close to just reaching for the bottle, really don't know what's stopped me
I had a moment like that a few days ago. I had the bottle already opened, held it in my hand and somehow I managed to put it away again. No idea how.

Maybe it helps if you just write down all your worries? Or talk to a friend or family member or just share here on SR?
Try to remember the negative sides of your drinking and the reasons why you decided to quit.
Also keep in mind, if you drink tonight you'll feel much worse tomorrow. Don't do that to yourself, you deserve better

Keep going, it's not easy. But it's easier than starting all over again after relapsing.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi everyone still sober. Feeling ok just very anxious, and tired. Worried tomorrow will be worse.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby13 View Post
Hi everyone still sober. Feeling ok just very anxious, and tired. Worried tomorrow will be worse.
Don't worry about tomorrow, today just be happy you didn't drink today, that's so good!
Old 11-01-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

You are right Kevlar, I didn't use any pills today. I never had a problem with drinking, that was always my sister. Tomorrow marks her death of four years. I don't want to end up like she did. I can't promise tomorrow but I know today I won't use. I am taking this day by day, sometimes hour by hour. Thanks to all here for sharing, it's hard to even admit to you all.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal View Post
I had a moment like that a few days ago. I had the bottle already opened, held it in my hand and somehow I managed to put it away again. No idea how.

Maybe it helps if you just write down all your worries? Or talk to a friend or family member or just share here on SR?
Try to remember the negative sides of your drinking and the reasons why you decided to quit.
Also keep in mind, if you drink tonight you'll feel much worse tomorrow. Don't do that to yourself, you deserve better

Keep going, it's not easy. But it's easier than starting all over again after relapsing.
I'm laid up with knee injury so I'm just laid about all day stewing over thoughts and feelings and it's driving me crazy basically , if I could walk I wouldn't be writing this message to you now I'd be sat with a drink in my hand somewhere and that's a worrying thought , just feel so stressed, the worst I've been since I stopped drinking in January .