Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Arrow Class of November 2016 Support Thread

Welcome Everyone!

this is the support thread for everyone who wants to quit drugs, alcohol or any kind of addiction this month of

November 2016

come and join us!

last October thread is here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-18.html

D
Old 10-31-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not entirely sure how this works, but can I join even though I quit last month?
Old 10-31-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's just a support thread

You can join as many threads as you like or think that might help - welcome

D
Old 10-31-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks!

So today it's day 12 for me and it was a quite good day. I didn't have any really bad cravings today or last night but sometimes I feel very depressed and self-destructive and just want to get pissed. These feelings passed after a short while each time.

Again I was questioning my addiction so I made some of the online tests and they all suggested that my drinking was problematic and or I am an alcoholic. I don't know why I expected them to have any other result. I wrote a lot in my journal today and listed the facts that to me prove my addiction.

Went to do the groceries today and there was several people in front of the supermarket drinking and to me it felt like inside everyone was buying alcohol. It made me wanna drink too and it still feels so unfair to me that they can what I can't. I bought loads of nice food to treat myself to that.

And my boyfriend (who's sober for 4 years) recommended ice cold sparkling water with some sliced lime in it for when I really want some wine. So I bought that too, let's see if it helps
Old 10-31-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I had 2 weeks and then started drinking on Friday. No idea why. Looking for that feeling of release. Now just feeling like crap. What the hell is wrong with me. Things were going really well. But I'm not used to feeling well. Is that it? Aaaarrrhgghhh. So frustrated.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Kevlarsjal and Lost! You're in the right place! I'm still pretty new here too ~ joined back in March but have had some slips....Dee invited us here to try and get a fresh start

If you haven't checked out the 24 hour forum already, I like that one too.....it's where we check in once a day to commit to 24 hours of sobriety and we help keep ourselves accountable. It focuses on "one day at a time" instead of being overwhelmed about the whole "forever" thing....(at least that's what freaks me out!)

Anyway, I'll stop babbling for now.....Welcome everyone, and Happy Halloween!
Old 10-31-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the suggestion of the 24 hour thing. I totally need accountability. I want to be healthy. I just don't know how.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome lost and purplrks

what did your recovery plan look like Lost?

D
Old 10-31-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have also been here since march. For me the levels of frustration, confusion and self hatred were huge at first. All I know is to deal with one issue/thought at a time. Joined here as well 'cos the more support I can find, the better off I am. Perhaps I can share stuff that may be of use to others as well. My mantra when stressed?
Stay safe- so for me- not to go into situations where there is booze. For others- perhaps not driving. Then HALTS. Am I hungry, angry, tired, lonely or sad? If so- how to fix. Hungry? Then I eat. Of course the biggie- do not drink. Drinking is poison, it is dumb and everything will not go away- it is there waiting when I sober up. Usually worse. Also get help- I talk to my doctor, psychologist, counsellor, god, the plant, AA, here, my sponsor. Distraction helps - keeping busy, boredom is an enemy in early recovery. I am studying, after 6 months intensively concentrating on sobriety and recovery. This remains my first and continuing thought each day. Dealing with simple stuff- washing, showering, shopping, budget. If I have hassles- I go and find help- no one else is going to do it for me. Especially since I do not feel sorry for myself. A negative self image is destructive and bad. If I do not get what I need- I keep trying and learning/growing. A journal also helps. I read over them (on #4 for this year, which has been a very big one).
Safety, sobriety and sanity. Having a beard helps me too.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Didn't have one. Guess I should have. I am starting a 3 wrk day program next Monday.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oops- been sober since March, then joined SR in June. Joined the COM thread then. No intended mis -info. PJ
Addendum- brutal honesty with myself (especially if you do step work- useful tool is i AA overall) is not an option- it is a HAVE to.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been sober for 33 days. Happy Halloween!
Old 10-31-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lost1070 View Post
Didn't have one. Guess I should have. I am starting a 3 wrk day program next Monday.
Just to be clear, I wasn't calling you out - I didn't know

Some great ideas here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

and here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 10-31-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hmmm. Phoenix. Pretty sure growing a beard would nit help although it was the first time I laughed today. Thank you. And you are right. Boredom is my biggest downfall but also suffer from social anxiety which makes it hard to leave the house so it's kind of a catch 22. I love that you live in Australia. I lived there from the age of 5-8. Wish I had been older. Going to start day 1 again tomorrow. So tired of day ones. Wish I had better motivation and commitment. Hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I've been on this site several times over the years, and currently have 7 months sober. It took going to a 10 week outpatient rehab for alcohol, that was 9 hours a week. It changed my life. I went to therapy, and got on the correct medication for my terrible anxiety that I was using alcohol to cope with over the last decade. I am feeling more positive and healthy than ever before. This time is different, but I fear becoming complacent.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Lucie - and congrats BBF!!
D
Old 10-31-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dee no worries. I'm not exactly good at this. Thus is my 5th and 6th try at this. I suck at it. Which is weird because I am normally good at whatever I do. Anyway I am so sick of watching tv that I am
Going to have to get out of the house tomorrow and find some new hobbies. That may help put an end to the wine. Thanks fir the support. I will check in tomorrow
Old 10-31-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think all who share here are brave. I find this place to be very necessary. I still go to meetings and have a sponsor too. Recovery for me is learning every day that I do not usually get what I WANT but what I need. Bloody Mick Jagger (he does not have a beard by the way). This usually means having to keep trying. Solutions do not leap out for me. The world does not bow to my wants. I do not get instant reward (as I did get with alcohol) as much as that would be nice. At present it is dealing with all the damage I caused when drinking. Have done all I can for the moment with support, sobriety etc. Patience does not come naturally to me. I would rather have serenity- NOW.
Oh well. An particularly unpopular (at that time) Prime Minister of Australia once said in response to media attention about financial difficulties of the nation- 'Life was not meant to be easy'. He was a millionaire of course (why did I have to add that?).
Old 10-31-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost1070 View Post
Dee no worries. I'm not exactly good at this. Thus is my 5th and 6th try at this. I suck at it. Which is weird because I am normally good at whatever I do. Anyway I am so sick of watching tv that I am
Going to have to get out of the house tomorrow and find some new hobbies. That may help put an end to the wine. Thanks fir the support. I will check in tomorrow
Lost: Trust me, you are good at this. Not quitting is key. Picking yourself up and dusting off is strength. You'll do this.

Personally I've completely lost the plot so I'm back to the support threads for...support.

KP
Old 10-31-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
I would like to join this class please. I tend to join classes at the end of the month so maybe joining early might help. Today would be day one, but I am pretty sure I drank after midnight last night. I was doing pretty good in September, but then drank sometime at the end of Sept or early Oct. And I think I have drank most every day since.

One of the things I worry about the most happened last week and that is my dad called and asked me to meet him & my mom at the hospital because she had not been feeling well that day and was getting worse. This was a little after 8pm and I had already started drinking. Luckily, I had less than two drinks, but I had just poured myself a 32oz glass of wine. I had not started drinking it yet, but 5-10 minutes later, and I wouldn't have been able to drive. I need to stop.

I attend SMART meetings, have a gratitude list, etc. I am trying to take things one day at a time. Thinking any longer into the future is overwhelming for me right now so one day at a time is all I am thinking about

I didn't drink tonight. I need to get rid of the alcohol I have here. Tomorrow is day 1.

Wishing everyone a happy new week