Notices

Class of March 2016 Part 27

Old 08-12-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Went to a work dinner last night, first time I've had people offer and encourage me to drink since getting sober this time. I've actively avoided being in drinking situations, not so much because of the temptation, but I just don't feel comfortable around it. I hate the smell and how loud and obnoxious people become, and I hate feeling interrogated when I decline.
Anyway, the work dinner was fine, I was encouraged by one co worker to relax and order some wine, which I considered for a second - I think to check with myself if I even wanted it? - but decided I (obviously) didn't want any. Simply declining a drink doesn't seem to work for me, I'm always envious of those who say just a simple 'no thanks' and that's the end of it. I'm always questioned and often teased a bit. It's all meant in fun but it's tiring. I said I had some more work to do later though and that stopped their questions. After that I didn't even think about their wine, which is a definite improvement on how I used to obsesses over what others were drinking, especially if I couldn't join in.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Casey - yes! My busy week is all done. Time to catch up on everything I missed.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Hi Immri!! Well done, passing up the wine. I still avoid the situations. I completely understand the uncomfortable feelings.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you made it through the dinner with no issues, immri. While I'm around alcohol and drinkers every single day I'm at work, I haven't really been in any situations yet where I wasn't working and someone was asking me if I wanted to drink. I'm sure that'll happen eventually though probably not too much in my current town as I basically isolated and drank at home. I was sober last year when I took this job so my co-workers only know me as a non-drinker, so I'm not invited to any of the shindigs they throw. Thank goodness. Every now and then at work I'll get a whiff of a wine I'm serving that smells really good but it doesn't make me want to drink myself. It's more like seeing a long-ago girlfriend that I know I'd never want to date again. Glad I knew her but also glad she's not in my life anymore. And then sometimes I'll get a whiff of something that completely turns my stomach, like the Patron shots I served tonight.

Work was boring. We weren't busy, weren't slow, but my tables were mostly tipping horribly. Had two good tables who kinda made up for the bad ones, I guess.

Anyways, going to go kill some dragons and then crash. Wishing everyone a nice night/day/whatever it is in your part of the world. Thanks for keeping me sober one more day. I'm an hour away from having five months sober. Never had that before!
Old 08-13-2016, 01:06 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone
I want to apologize ahead of time I just need to do some personal venting. I really do appreciate everybody's patience, help and kindness :-)
I ask myself why I enjoy drinking and I can't come up with a good answer does that make any sense? I think I actually enjoyed it when I was a normal drinker but somehow I became an abnormal drinker :-(
For example at a football game I would sneak off to the bathroom and down 3 beers without anyone knowing because I didn't want to stay within their limits and at the same time I would be sneaking shots into the game. Then I slowly noticed that I had friends that were not showing up as much anymore and I found myself drinking alone most of the time locked in my little room drinking almost 24 hours a day during the weekend sleeping here and there and lying about it the whole time.
I went 5 weekend's sober this last time, but I blew it last weekend right back to normal well not normal:-(.
And I cannot figure out anything that I gained at all last weekend by drinking as normal I lost the whole weekend.

This is it I have to make changes I don't want to be a a recluse hiding in my closet drinking my life away.

An old friend of mine is a pastor of a local church he is helping me out as a sponsor, and also starting next week I will be seeing a therapist twice a week. And I will be bugging sober recovery people like heck.
I've got a really good life if I want it to be.
I've got everything that I ever wanted. All that I really need now is sobriety.

Sorry for such a long post and poor grammar
Old 08-13-2016, 01:37 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Okay here is my Serious list of 7 things I can do differently when I have a craving.

1. Step back take a deep breath and ask myself do you want to feel like crap tomorrow and rest of the week? No!

2.pray ! I can't do it by myself

3. Post on SR can get support from some wonderful people:-)

4. Go kayaking or bicycling and follow Casey's advice leave money at home.

5. Read a novel or play sudoku

6. Work in my wood shop. Back before I started drinking so much I used to build beautiful things out there.

7. Wash and wax my Mustang her name is Sweet Caroline.

As always Kiki the homework assignment was fun thank you
Old 08-13-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Sorry for the long post
30-inch-black-shelving-post.jpg
Old 08-13-2016, 02:30 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don;t think there's much logic to addiction Kayak - not once you get to that point where the most important relationship you have is with alcohol.

It's a real obsession. It defies common sense.

The only way to break the obsession is break the cycle and not drink - no matter what.

D
Old 08-13-2016, 02:54 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. I had a pretty crappy day yesterday - by the time it was all over I came home, ate Taco Bell and watched some Michael Moore documentary on Netflix. Today is sure to be more of the same at work - oh joy �� Sorry guys - just feeling sorry for myself this morning. Enough whining though - on with the day.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Kayak - it sounds like you are putting together a plan. �� And you're right you did this five weekends in a row - you can do it again. Drinking is a prison sentence - there is nothing romantic about it....it is ugly, painful and destructive. Let's choose life instead okay? Love you and sending hugs and prayers your way. ❤️❤️
Old 08-13-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samantha14 View Post
Morning everyone. I had a pretty crappy day yesterday - by the time it was all over I came home, ate Taco Bell and watched some Michael Moore documentary on Netflix. Today is sure to be more of the same at work - oh joy ?003f003f?003f003f Sorry guys - just feeling sorry for myself this morning. Enough whining though - on with the day.
Morning
Old 08-13-2016, 03:25 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope the days turns out better than you think Sam

D
Old 08-13-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samantha14 View Post
Kayak - it sounds like you are putting together a plan. ?003f003f?003f003f And you're right you did this five weekends in a row - you can do it again. Drinking is a prison sentence - there is nothing romantic about it....it is ugly, painful and destructive. Let's choose life instead okay? Love you and sending hugs and prayers your way. ❤️❤️
Thank you Sam . Yes let's choose happy life from now to forever. Samantha you're going to have a beautiful day just like you
Old 08-13-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Good morning Sam, Dee, Kayak -

I hope everyone has an awesome day. Sam maybe it will go better than you think! Now I'm craving Tacos, ha!

I am off to my sister's college graduation this morning with one kiddo. SOBER. No waking up in a panic and sucking down water and trying to calm the racing heart and taking deep breaths. Wondering how the HECK I'm going to get there without puking or something or at the very least acting completely out of it.

Sober and present.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-13-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

AND, I finished the newest Harry Potter book last night!! Stayed up until 11:30. Only to then have my littlest wake me up at 11:45 just as I was dozing off. Worst feeling! Although I know how it could actually feel even worse....!
Old 08-13-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Where is everyone today? Speak up let's have a busy day. I'm still on the road will be home in the middle of the night will be starting weekend number one.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Morning, guys! I'm at orientation for DD1. Have to go for DD2 on Monday.

Kayak- I like your plan. Drinking was anything but enjoyable my last year. I still couldn't quit without help.

Samantha- ditto Kayak's words. Wishing you a day as beautiful as you are.

Applekat- starting HP this evening. Have fun at the graduation party.

Have a great sober day, people!
Old 08-13-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day 154. More importantly, that's five whole months sober. It was March 13, 2016, when I decided yet again that I was never going to drink again. I've woke up plenty of mornings--literally a thousand or more--over the last 14 years and made that same declaration--"I'm never drinking again." Difference this time was I did something about it. Thanks to each and every one of you for helping me stay sober these last five months.

Off work today. Definitely going to an AA meeting tonight. I'll take a picture of my growing chip collection when I get home. No other real plans. I need to get to the store in a little bit. I'll give the ol' poison aisle a proper salute as I give it as wide a berth as possible. Of course the store planners are sneaky bastards and put those aisles right at a crossroads where it's hard to avoid it.

Kayak--we all had good times when we drank. The problem is, just like you described happened for you last weekend, once we've crossed over that invisible line into alcoholism, those good times are basically gone. Anytime I took that first drink over the last 14 years or so, I never knew exactly where I was headed after that. I might have one of those wonderful good times that I was always chasing, but more than likely I was going to end up hurting the next day and possibly facing a ton of wreckage I'd left behind. My life is much simpler and easier and happy at this point without the uncertainty of alcohol in it. Glad to hear you're taking some positive steps in your own recovery.

As always, thanks for your wise words, Dee. I hope you're doing well personally.

I figured Canadians wouldn't watch Michael Moore after that awful Canadian Bacon movie he made years ago, Samantha. Hope today goes better for you than you're expecting. No matter what, a drink is not the answer.

Oh man, Applekat, you just brought back some truly awful memories of road trips the morning after a hard night's drinking. Heck, my very first real drunk took place two hundred miles in San Antonio two hundred miles from my house, which I had to drive back to the next morning. Every time I pass through little Llano, Texas, which is about halfway between San Antonio/Austin and my old hometown, I look at that Subway restaurant on the main street there and remember how I had to pull over there and puke behind it after that first drunk night. Glad we don't have to live that way today. Have a safe trip and a good time with your family.

I do have to say I got a little excited yesterday when I heard all of you talking about a new Harry Potter book. I was like, "How the hell did I miss news of that?" And then I find out it's a play and it's not written by Rowling. Very disappointing news there.

College orientation was painfully boring as a know-it-all 18 year old, Bobbieka. I can only imagine it would be more so as a know-it-all 41 year old supposedly adult man. (I can say 41 for one more day after this so I need to get it in as much as possible.) Anyways, hope they've figured out a way to make it less lame in the last 23 years. Have a great day!

Hope everyone else is doing well and checks in soon! Remember it's the first drink that gets us drunk. You don't have to take that first drink no matter what.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
I do have to say I got a little excited yesterday when I heard all of you talking about a new Harry Potter book. I was like, "How the hell did I miss news of that?" And then I find out it's a play and it's not written by Rowling. Very disappointing news there.
EDITED TO ADD: In sorta similar news, I started the very last "Spenser" novel by Robert B. Parker yesterday after over three years of reading them at a pace of one a month or so. I think this is either book #40 or 41. Good, simply written detective novels with some great characters and stellar continuity. Glad I've had them in my life and I'll be a little sad when I get to the last page of this one knowing there's no more.

I just finished a pretty good oral history of all the hangers on in Elvis Presley's life and a long overdue re-read of Albert Camus' The Stranger. In addition to the Parker novel, I'm reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carre, a Bukowski poetry collection, and something else that I can't remember right now and I'm too lazy to get up and find my Kindle to see. It must not be very good whatever it is since I still can't remember after a few minutes of thinking on it.

What's everyone else reading right now besides Harry Potter fan fiction?
Old 08-13-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone