Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 08-04-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Day 4 here I come!! I feel good and ready.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Good morning my fellow recovery friends - I hope you all made it through the night without giving in to the insane chatter of your AV! If your AV overpowered you and you ended up giving in to it, please talk it through with us and maybe we can help you quiet the chatter next time. Remember we have strength in numbers and this group is filled with soldiers who are all fighting the same battle.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Last night after work I was keeping myself busy and cleaning the house. I was moving a suitcase from my room that I had left after vacation last month. I found 3 full bottles of beer in there that I must have hidden last weekend and forgotten about. I won't lie, I immediately thought, "A hidden treasure!" I wanted them for a second, but then I thought, I'm not starting over, and drinking 3 beers is a tease and I'll end up at the store buying a 12 pack. So I took them and poured them out.

I woke up sober today 4 days this afternoon.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Hi all- and congratulations on the decision to join the class!

I'm checking in from August 2014 and want to wish each of you the best on this epic, worthwhile journey.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Great job pouring them out Gretel! I know exactly what you mean that you would be out to the store to get more later. I would see there are only 3 beers and then decide if I should go get enough to have some for the night or text my hubby to see if he was in a good mood so I could get him to go get me more when 2 of those 3 were gone.... the thinking that goes into that is complete insanity!!
Old 08-04-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Gretel123 View Post
Last night after work I was keeping myself busy and cleaning the house. I was moving a suitcase from my room that I had left after vacation last month. I found 3 full bottles of beer in there that I must have hidden last weekend and forgotten about. I won't lie, I immediately thought, "A hidden treasure!" I wanted them for a second, but then I thought, I'm not starting over, and drinking 3 beers is a tease and I'll end up at the store buying a 12 pack. So I took them and poured them out.

I woke up sober today 4 days this afternoon.
You were faced with temptation and you shot it down. Way to go girl. Tell that AV who is boss.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Hi guys. It was suggested that I join the August class (I joined the weekend thread so I have that to help me through the weekend). If I have learned anything it is to do what is suggested. I always feel ashamed of joining a class because I have a tendency to drop out and not come back after I drink. I don't want to waste anyone's time. Rubbish. I need support. I am trying this on my own with AVRT but am finding I am not quite strong enough yet. Especially since I gave up on AA recently, after 2+ years of working the program that did not work for me. So here I am. Day one yet again.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

It'll be three days for me later today. Although that's not a huge accomplishment (especially after over two years of repeated attempts to stay clean, but never managing more than 26 days) - I'm in a good place at least for today, and I'm going to try some things that I've never committed to in the past.

Registering this account is one thing. Opening up to some of my friends and family about the severity and my difficulties is another. But most importantly, I think, I'll be going to an AA meeting tomorrow at 7.

I've been to meetings before (maybe ten in total), but I never committed myself -not even so much to the program - but to the simple act of returning to the meetings themselves. I want to find a sponsor to help me through the first few weeks so I can finally make it past that one month hump. And then I'll move from there.

This has been (and continues to be) the most difficult struggle of my life, but I refuse to give up, and I take some solace in the fact that, at the very least, I can completely and wholeheartedly admit that I am an alcoholic.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hi Sisyphus.

Congrats on 3 days sober.

I am a little ahead of you and will say that making it past day 3 was a big one. Please keep close to SR when you need a boost, I find the people here very caring and kind.

Sounds like you are making a plan to stay sober.. Awesome !
Old 08-04-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Administrator

That was a really great decision Gretel

Welcome Brittany and sisyphus25

D
Old 08-04-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Just starting day 8. Once again, woke up naturally before the sun was up after a solid 8 hours sleep, following a 12 hour work day.

2 more days like this and all of the work I had outstanding for weeks, that was buried under my binging will be caught up with. Happy clients, healthy bank balance, and time to start looking for a place to call home instead of living in a cheap hotel room.

Day 7 was easy, didn't even think about drinking once.

Feeling pretty positive.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Way to go Mac - Where are you located?
Old 08-04-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

I'm in Siem Reap, Cambodia at the moment. I usually live in Thailand, have for the past 12 years.

But when it came time to renew my visa for the year, I had drunk the £8,000 that I needed to have in a bank account for 6 months prior to applying for the visa extension. That money has to be there to prove you have funds to take care of yourself, it's part of the visa application process.

Actually, it's turned out to be something of a blessing. I was sick to death of Thailand. I'm really enjoying living where I am now.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Cool... I am not familiar with that part of the world. I bet it is a very interesting place to live!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Cool... I am not familiar with that part of the world. I bet it is a very interesting place to live!
It's like anywhere mate, if you live there long enough it becomes normal and uninteresting. I've spent half my life in S.E. Asia in one place or another.

Couldn't imagine moving back to the U.K. though. *shudder*
Old 08-04-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Yep.. I hear ya!
Old 08-04-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Hi All, I am from the Class April 2016 and thought I would drop in and say hi , well done to all on your journey and sending you the best. It really does gets better every day.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Another day sober here. It's been about 3 1/4 days sober and I still feel like hell. Its strange as I usually feel "over the hump" by now, but not this time, possibly because of how bad of a bender I had last weekend. It looks like a few others on this forum also recently experenced these terrifying trips to hell, hopefully we all have the strength to finally say enough is enough and beat this!
Old 08-04-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

end of day 8

if I can get thru the next 3 weeks starting tomorrow it will be a miracle. my husband has 3 weeks off & he pushes my buttons - lawd help me...
Old 08-04-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Administrator

Plenty of support here Try2 - you can do this
Hi Forwards - my withdrawals got worse and lasted longer.

The good thing is we never have to feel that way again

thanks for dropping in Ring

D