Notices

Class of July 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 07-02-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Dee I've tried AA but to me it seemed to cultish. The hand holding and religious chant turned me completely away. I have issues with holding hands or even someone touching me.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:56 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Originally Posted by 2Wheelterror View Post
Dee I've tried AA but to me it seemed to cultish. The hand holding and religious chant turned me completely away. I have issues with holding hands or even someone touching me.
You'd love NA - we hug.

I hated that and saw it as a zombie mind control god cult. - Saved my life and was not what I thought it was.

I showed up broken and thinking of suicide, but still managed to be arrogant, critical, hostile, and a know it all. Odd how those two conditions can exist simultaneously. - My sponsor told me that I was an egomaniac with an inferiority complex. Smart guy.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IvanMike View Post
You'd love NA - we hug.

I hated that and saw it as a zombie mind control god cult. - Saved my life and was not what I thought it was.

I showed up broken and thinking of suicide, but still managed to be arrogant, critical, hostile, and a know it all. Odd how those two conditions can exist simultaneously. - My sponsor told me that I was an egomaniac with an inferiority complex. Smart guy.
Yeah no thanks. The whole premise of being completely powerless over an inanimate object, just doesn't make sense to me. The booze doesn't pour itself down my throat, AA is kinda like gun control nuts that think guns are evil. But that's a whole other topic sure to get everyone upset, so I'll just leave it alone.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

These threads are about sharing experience.

It's ok to have opinions but I think we should try to have respect for everyone's beliefs in threads like these and keep our language nice and temperate.

I hope you'll still read the link I posted to you 2wheels.

There's nothing in them you 'have' to do and still a lot you can do right now, outside a 12 step programme if that's the road you take.

You'll get out of your recovery what you put into it.

D
Old 07-02-2016, 06:58 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi ironhorse - I hope you'll look at that link and the suggestions I gave 2wheelterror too.

I struggle to say this without being a downer but while I'm glad you didn't go overboard please don't let yourself be convinced at a later date that any amount of drinking is ok, or that this means you've learned some measure of control.

Both of those were assumptions I made at various times, in weak moments - and they cost me dearly.

Give no quarter to your enemy - no drinks ever

D
Thank you for your reply. Moderation isn't my goal. What I was trying to say was that what I've learned on this site, and the accountability I feel is what kept me from going off the deep end...which likely would have led into an all weekend affair. Obviously I wish I never had the first beer.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know moderation is not your goal

What I was trying to say was that what I've learned on this site, and the accountability I feel is what kept me from going off the deep end...
My point is/was I hope that the support and ideas here can help you from even jumping into the shallow end next time

D
Old 07-02-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Well here I am. I want to be part of the July group. I messed up today. I got in a huge fight with the guy I have been seeing for the last 7 months. July 1 was my quit date and now it has to be July 3rd, which makes me sad. It also makes me sad, but also feel a sense of relief that I know I have to get him out of my life! He doesn't drink, but he is just wrong for me in so many ways. And then to have my mom be so cold to me after everything was just the salt on the wound. She sure knows how to kick someone when they are down. I know I have a drinking problem, but I am not a mean or bad person. I am surrounded by negative people and it just makes it so much harder to maintain my sobriety. I just want it to be me and my 2 sweet kids. I have friends who are supportive and kind, but nobody I can really talk to who would relate.so I'm back here and hoping this time it will stick.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bronzie - yes, cutting yourself loose sounds like a good move.

Like I've said to a couple of others today - go back to your recovery plan and do whatever you need to do to make it a little more robust

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D
Old 07-02-2016, 08:48 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Bronzie - yes, cutting yourself loose sounds like a good move. Like I've said to a couple of others today - go back to your recovery plan and do whatever you need to do to make it a little more robust http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html D
Thank you Dee74, I don't really have a recovery plan, but I will follow that link. I keep making mistakes, but I also keep coming back. I want this and I know I can do it. I'm so over this roller coaster of emotions!!!!!
Old 07-02-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hello, joining the July class.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Cool, thanks James90. They're very pretty! I've never seen them before. I'll look out for them at Whole Foods. May be able to order them online, also.

Originally Posted by James90 View Post
Yea I reckon most health food shops would sell it if you had look around. The winter berry one is also nice I found, and the lemongrass one is pretty decent.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gr...FkOqaaRJbwM%3A

If u you click on that link that's a photo of the bottle to help you with your search.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

I'm in! Struggling a little tonight since it's Saturday close to midnight and I know that I'd usually be pretty wasted by this time of night on the weekend. Just going to try and push through. I've officially made it to day 6.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I understand 2Wheelterror, I have alot of free time as well and like the saying goes 'Idle hands are the devils work'.
Like Dee said, maybe a volunteer gig would help you. Or even if you schedule and structure your day even if its just hanging out at home. Wake up at the same time and do things at the same time each day.
It will help give you a sense of purpose.
Thats what I'm going to do from now on.

Originally Posted by 2Wheelterror View Post
Annnnnnnnnnnd back to day 1 again. I just can't seem to stay sober, since Im unemployed. I have no daily structure so I'm kinda just, well lost as to what to do. I guess I'll just wing it, hey it could be my new life motto.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Ditto Bronzie! Nice to meet you!

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
I keep making mistakes, but I also keep coming back. I want this and I know I can do it. I'm so over this roller coaster of emotions!!!!!
Old 07-03-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Mr

A new day.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

A new day indeed Vman. I'm going up to my mom's next Wednesday, she is always fully stocked on wine. My husband is going with me, and I know he'll help me stay sober, if that's what what I want. Which it is. I need to develop a strong plan though, as everyone will be drinking but me.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody for your openness support and suggestions. I am going to follow the link that Dee suggested and MAKE A PLAN!!!! I've downloaded one of the attachments, and I'll be buying that ring binder and doing the hard work.
This is work. I must keep working for my best self.
Ps. It's past midnight here, so I have one day sober and free! Today the 4th of July will be day number two. (Our friends in the states.... It's your Independence Day holiday, so sending you strength to pass on the first drink if you are at a celebration or event...and enjoy a can of soft drink (soda))

Peace and love to you all.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
A new day indeed Vman. I'm going up to my mom's next Wednesday, she is always fully stocked on wine. My husband is going with me, and I know he'll help me stay sober, if that's what what I want. Which it is. I need to develop a strong plan though, as everyone will be drinking but me.
I got through it. One week.

Pretty on knife edge this evening though. Madame reckons i was looking for a fight.... and shes right I wasnt right...
One for the psycholgists 😊
Old 07-03-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi all.I have been posting on Newcomers almost daily since I came to SR around 2weeks ago.looking forward to joining everyone on here.I am 6weeks sober and getting back on track now.Have finaly sorted a recovery plan which is working for me.Hope you all are having a good weekend.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I'd like to join in as well. This isn't my first time trying to go sober, but I'm hoping this time I can find the willpower and determination to make it stick! This is day two for me. I saw someone mention the voices in their head, been suffering from that as well. Constant reminders of the foolishness and mistakes I made while drinking, and usually what causes me to start drinking again in an attempt to drown it out. It was the first thing I thought of this morning. However, I took a deep breath, prayed, apologized to those who are closest to me, and told myself that I can't change the things I've done but I can do something about the things I'm going to do. The voices and shame are still there, but fading the more that I come to accept them and look forward to not making those mistakes again.