Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 05-08-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Weekend is nearly over guys! Wood hoooo!

I've been told by 2 people today that I've been very quiet lately and my Mrs has said I've stopped talking since I stopped drinking. Maybe I forgotten how to make conversation sober. We have been together for 13 years and I've drank everyday of that relationship we even met drunk. Maybe my real personality isn't that interesting... what if I'm actually a really boring person...... I do feel boring
Old 05-08-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Ben, I'd rather be sober and boring than drunk and interesting. The only reason you want to be interesting is to impress people. Now it's time to impress yourself.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
Weekend is nearly over guys! Wood hoooo!

I've been told by 2 people today that I've been very quiet lately and my Mrs has said I've stopped talking since I stopped drinking. Maybe I forgotten how to make conversation sober. We have been together for 13 years and I've drank everyday of that relationship we even met drunk. Maybe my real personality isn't that interesting... what if I'm actually a really boring person...... I do feel boring
Ben - in going through the first couple of steps yesterday and reading out of The Big Book, it discusses your personality changing and finding your sober personality. The main thing to concentrate on at the beginning is maintaining sobriety and not drinking. Over time your sober personality develops and from everyone I've talked to and read, that personality is so much better than your drinking one. But the key is to take things day by day and let it develop, not be anxious about it and get overwhelmed and go back to drinking. Rome wasn't built in a day, or even a couple of days...
Old 05-08-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I guess people are just used to me being drunk and happy (ish)

On a cheerful note my bbq pork rotisserie was a success. only problem was I drank so much fizzy tonic water while it was cooking I didn't feel hungry when it was ready. Still ate it anyway : )
Old 05-08-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Just want to say I SOOOO appreciate the insight here. Very helpful

You're not going to believe this - or maybe you will - but the hubs just texted he wants a cocktail. Seriously? Seriously?!?!!!!!

I spent the day so far cleaning, more laundry, going through bills, spent two hours making homemade enchiladas. Day 3.

I can't believe he's even entertaining bringing alcohol back into the house. Honestly, I'm to the point where I could literally lose my job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hashtag... Worried...
Old 05-08-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CountryGal123 View Post
Just want to say I SOOOO appreciate the insight here. Very helpful

You're not going to believe this - or maybe you will - but the hubs just texted he wants a cocktail. Seriously? Seriously?!?!!!!!

I spent the day so far cleaning, more laundry, going through bills, spent two hours making homemade enchiladas. Day 3.

I can't believe he's even entertaining bringing alcohol back into the house. Honestly, I'm to the point where I could literally lose my job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hashtag... Worried...
Tell him to have his cocktail in a bar and leave you to it ..not very considerate .
Old 05-08-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Tell him to have his cocktail in a bar and leave you to it ..not very considerate .
Ditto that...tell him to get one somewhere else.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Got back from parents at about 5 (it's 7ish now) and have been literally fighting a mental battle with my AV. Had to go to the shop for cash and food. Sent boyfriend in for food hoping deep down he would buy wine but he didn't. I'm glad now of course. Day 6 almost done. Roll on bed time is all I can say. This is very hard.
I fast forwarded to tomorrow morning and pictured my anxiety etc if I caved and that did help. Going back to it on a 5-6 day cycle is self destructive so I'm staying sober today at all costs.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Got back from parents at about 5 (it's 7ish now) and have been literally fighting a mental battle with my AV. Had to go to the shop for cash and food. Sent boyfriend in for food hoping deep down he would buy wine but he didn't. I'm glad now of course. Day 6 almost done. Roll on bed time is all I can say. This is very hard.
I fast forwarded to tomorrow morning and pictured my anxiety etc if I caved and that did help. Going back to it on a 5-6 day cycle is self destructive so I'm staying sober today at all costs.
Stay strong jo we are in this together.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Stay strong jo we are in this together.
Giving it my best Ben 😊
Old 05-08-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Day 3. I am on call for work so I cant really get into much around the house to keep me busy. I never drink during this 7 day stretch, but knowing I am not gonna drink on day 8 and beyond has created a little anxiety. So I am sitting here watching the posts, have the TV on, lounging in the recliner until a call maybe comes in. Took the garage queen out for a drive about an hour ago. Cant go too far away from my work truck, but it has been a few weeks since I let her stretch her wheels. Also, doing some planning for next weekend when I won't be on call and will mostly spend it alone since my wife will be at work.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Ben-This is a quote from 1 of your posts yesterday (couldn't do it the normal way since its on the old thread) "Not drinking made me realise how quickly they changed from people I wanted and had planned to spend my day with to irritating drunk idiots talking absolute rubbish."

It may take you and your personality some time to regroup and develop....but at least you will have a personality....a real one. The alcohol induced personalities described above don't sound all that enticing either.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Welcome Karen O and 1needhelp!
Old 05-08-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

MyShadow- Do you have a recovery plan in place for you time off? If not, it may be worth coming up with one....alone time can be tricky.

CountryGal123- Stay strong girl and keep posting as much as you need to! I'm so glad your reaction was to share and not isolate! My mr. doesn't quite understand either.....he thinks maybe someday I can learn to moderate....but I know myself well enough to know that's not possible for me. Wish it wasn't so....I just want to be normal dammit.

LW- sorry you are in a place of such struggle. Saying prayers and sending good thoughts your way!
Old 05-08-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 View Post
Ben-This is a quote from 1 of your posts yesterday (couldn't do it the normal way since its on the old thread) "Not drinking made me realise how quickly they changed from people I wanted and had planned to spend my day with to irritating drunk idiots talking absolute rubbish."

It may take you and your personality some time to regroup and develop....but at least you will have a personality....a real one. The alcohol induced personalities described above don't sound all that enticing either.
Thanks simplicity. Good point.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
I want to be positive this morning but as it happens I'm struggling for two people now. I also never realized how much I relied on alcohol to cover up things like arthritis pain and I'm hurting today. Progress is very slow and I'm feeling low.
Hang in there. Things should start improving. Give it time. I have noticed all the things that worry me are worse right now. Before I would either be drinking or getting through the hangover. Both of those took all my focus. Now I'm just sober. Everything that I didn't think about before is there now and I'm dealing with it sober. I think as we get used to sobriety and as our bodies heal we should get better at least I hope so
Old 05-08-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

[QUOTE=Simplicity4114;5944352]MyShadow- Do you have a recovery plan in place for you time off? If not, it may be worth coming up with one....alone time can be tricky.
QUOTE]

Yes, got a to do list, along with if the urge kicks in I'll just hop in the car and take a drive. Its a trade off I like to think about. I bought this nice fast car, but couldn't drive it much, because I would come home and drink. So now instead of drinking, I will hop in and make a lap down some country road, or visit some family, and feel the power of the car to remind me of what I can enjoy and do sober.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=MyShadow;5944376]
Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 View Post
MyShadow- Do you have a recovery plan in place for you time off? If not, it may be worth coming up with one....alone time can be tricky.
QUOTE]

Yes, got a to do list, along with if the urge kicks in I'll just hop in the car and take a drive. Its a trade off I like to think about. I bought this nice fast car, but couldn't drive it much, because I would come home and drink. So now instead of drinking, I will hop in and make a lap down some country road, or visit some family, and feel the power of the car to remind me of what I can enjoy and do sober.
I'm with you there my shadow. I have a lovely jeep a bought last year and normally i have had too much to drink to drive it by the time I get home from work

This last week it's been getting some use. I'm actually out in it now having a coke to pass the time.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Good day and Happy Mother's day to the Mom's we have here.

Day 2 and it's a relief. It feels so good to be back here. It's like home. When I first typed that I thought a sober recovery group is like home?? Well, it is. 6 years and counting and I will get it right, eventually. I get further and further with each attempt.

Onward and upwards my brothers and sisters in this battle!

Jojo
Old 05-08-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Originally Posted by MyShadow View Post

I'm with you there my shadow. I have a lovely jeep a bought last year and normally i have had too much to drink to drive it by the time I get home from work

This last week it's been getting some use. I'm actually out in it now having a coke to pass the time.
I bought a 2014 GT500 a few months back, I told my self then I was going to start working on this. And time has arrived.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K4dO63IeF0