Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 05-13-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

I'm falling back on what helped me stay sober for the longest. Ordered a pizza . Eat eat, no way you'll drink then.
Off work in 30 minutes.
Working emt job tomorrow. My parttime job. God I'm tired. They hammered us at work today, griping the whole time too.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Goodnight lovely May folk. I hope you all have a lovely weekend. DIY keeping me on the straight and narrow.....don't care what it takes I'll try anything. Got a movie on in bed. Don't think I'll have a great nights sleep but that's okay for now......keep posting and stay safe friends 😊
Old 05-13-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Oh man, Friday afternoon is rough. It's a beautiful day here and putting on a cute outfit and going to a nice patio sounds awesome. Instead, I walked by those doing that and I am getting my nails done. Definitely feel antsy and anxious but I'm playing that tape. I usually start to struggle around day 14, which is close. Keeping busy this weekend...rewarding myself with beauty treatments and shopping. Hang in there everyone! It'll get better.

Ben, tell that bartender to shove it. You're not Eeyore, you're dealing with a nasty addiction and trying to come out on top. Sorry, but that just makes me mad. We don't have to be sunny and perky all the time. You'll get there, and I'm sure you are wonderful just the way you are.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
Thanks KiKi
This must be at least my 4th or 5th monthly support thread. I need this to work this time. I just cant spend any more time I have left being a drunk thats still drinking.
You got it this time. I'll stick it out with you.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strangeangel View Post
Oh man, Friday afternoon is rough. It's a beautiful day here and putting on a cute outfit and going to a nice patio sounds awesome. Instead, I walked by those doing that and I am getting my nails done. Definitely feel antsy and anxious but I'm playing that tape. I usually start to struggle around day 14, which is close. Keeping busy this weekend...rewarding myself with beauty treatments and shopping. Hang in there everyone! It'll get better.

Ben, tell that bartender to shove it. You're not Eeyore, you're dealing with a nasty addiction and trying to come out on top. Sorry, but that just makes me mad. We don't have to be sunny and perky all the time. You'll get there, and I'm sure you are wonderful just the way you are.
Ooh yes shopping and pampering sounds lovely. Enjoy treating yourself strangeangel 😊
Old 05-13-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes!!! Fallow, SickOfIt, I'll stick it out with you!
Old 05-13-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ben83 View Post
Well I popped in the pub with a friend on the way home from work. I had a coke. The bar man was talking to my friend about me not drinking anymore and made a winnie the poo reference that made me laugh. He said drinking Ben is like tigger and sober Ben is like Eeyore. He said i just seem sad all the time. It made me chuckle he is so right. But it did make me think I must make more of an effort to not come across as depressed. I'm not depressed I'm just quieter compared to my drunk self.
I still think bars are risky places to be, cos everyone there is geared to drinking and they won't see any harm in it..

but anyway...people confuse quiet for sad a lot, especially if they knew you as a drinker.

It didn't happen overnight but I an genuinely the happiest I've ever been as an adult

Oh man, Friday afternoon is rough.
you said before you feel you wasted time. I can identify with that...but the other side of the coin is I've done so much in the last ten years It's like I lived 20 anyway

I think our journeys to recovery are exactly as long as they need to be, strangeangel.

It took me a long time to get here but all I've been through means I'm staying and not going back

I hope everyone has a great sober weekend

D
Old 05-13-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Great its nice to have friends on the journey. My problem is once I am feeling good I never stick around so main goal number one (besides not drinking or getting high) is to stay here and active!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Think I'm shutting her down for today y'all! Made it through another day......Wishing all of you a sober weekend!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Just got back from an AA meeting and hitting another one up in about an hour. My goal is 90 meetings in 90 days so keep trucking along.

Oh how my Friday nights have changed!! Whatever it takes to stay sober...
Old 05-13-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Damn!!! I got through one heck of a craving an hour ago! I was sure it was gonna suck me in and I would cave & buy alcohol.

All of sudden my daughter came downstairs & asked if I could take her to her friends house. I drove barefoot and without my purse so I couldn't stop for alcohol on the way back home! (I didn't trust myself).

After I dropped her off I immediately called my AA sponsor & she talked me through the craving! It lasted forever! At least it seemed too! Thank God I have a sponsor that is almost always available to answer the phone or honestly, I might be drinking (and hating myself) right now!

My craving was so strong that I told her if it was gonna be this hard forever I would rather just give up. She promised me it would get better and eventually my cravings would totally go away!

That gave me hope!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Thanks KiKi This must be at least my 4th or 5th monthly support thread. I need this to work this time. I just cant spend any more time I have left being a drunk thats still drinking.
I know how you feel! This is my 3rd support thread (and I'm still part of March 2016) because they are really great people and I need double support! Ha!

We haven't failed if we are still trying, right?
Old 05-13-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
I'm falling back on what helped me stay sober for the longest. Ordered a pizza . Eat eat, no way you'll drink then. Off work in 30 minutes. Working emt job tomorrow. My parttime job. God I'm tired. They hammered us at work today, griping the whole time too.
Eating is a good thing for sure! I NEVER drink when or after I eat!!! I'm pigging out tonite too!

We can worry about the weight layer, right? ;-)
Old 05-13-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Oh man, Friday afternoon is rough. It's a beautiful day here and putting on a cute outfit and going to a nice patio sounds awesome. Instead, I walked by those doing that and I am getting my nails done. Definitely feel antsy and anxious but I'm playing that tape. I usually start to struggle around day 14, which is close. Keeping busy this weekend...rewarding myself with beauty treatments and shopping. Hang in there everyone! It'll get better. Ben, tell that bartender to shove it. You're not Eeyore, you're dealing with a nasty addiction and trying to come out on top. Sorry, but that just makes me mad. We don't have to be sunny and perky all the time. You'll get there, and I'm sure you are wonderful just the way you are.
Great job telling your AV where to go Strangesngel! I told mine where to go an hour ago too!!!

And I agree with you Eeyore comment! What a jerk!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Great its nice to have friends on the journey. My problem is once I am feeling good I never stick around so main goal number one (besides not drinking or getting high) is to stay here and active!
That's a very common problem for people like us. At least you know what to work on (sticking close)!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Nite Simplicity! Sweet dreams!

Great goal Eagle!
Old 05-13-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
Older single lady in recovery seeking sober buddy to share experiences, tea and sympathy.

I have nothing to say against all you all on this thread but I would love hearing from someone with similar problems related to aging and loneliness. When I'm with people I'm mostly fine and don't crave a drink but alone is different. In the morning I sometimes have to use one arm to get my other arm moving because the shoulder is so stiff. I tried to start a group for older people in recovery but it went nowhere.
LW- Been thinking about your post all day and at first I thought I couldn't relate but that's not true. I think most of us drank as a coping mechanism for 1 thing or another. I also think most of us have come to the sucky realization that sobriety in and of itself does not solve all problems. Now its just us and our sh** sober. I have found in my life this is where the rubber meets the road. I have had to take a hard look at myself and take ownership of all the crap I have been drinking away....it has been unpleasant and it sounds as if you could agree....but it is a necessary step in my recovery...without it, I WILL relapse.
You've mentioned being in physical pain. Have you addressed this issue head on (met with your family doc)? Perhaps there is non-addictive med you could take for your arthritis that will help to ease some of the pain? Have you considered joining a gym or taking a gently yoga class? Both of these may seem counter intuitive but could be greatly beneficial to you. I have an older girlfriend/coworker who had both hips replaced and she was in severe pain (hip, back, limited range of motion, etc). She joined a gym, and met with a trainer who set her up with a work-out plan based on her needs. The transformation has been amazing. She has less pain, greater range of motion, and she smiles more.....she also poo-pooed the idea at first. As far as the alone time goes have you considered volunteering? Hospital? Nursing home? There are so many lonely people in the world and it has been my experience that often times when we help others it actually ends up helping us. I don't know what your religious affiliation is, if any, but many places have women's groups throughout the week. I hope this post has been helpful & not offended. If I lived in your area I would be dropping in and dragging you out for a walk whether you liked it or not I hope you will decide to get out there and do what you can to improve that which you can control because life is about thriving and dammit you're worth it! Sending love and warm thoughts your way!
Old 05-13-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Day 13 almost in the books...we are blessed to have another day SOBER!!
Old 05-13-2016, 08:09 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eagle108 View Post
Day 13 almost in the books...we are blessed to have another day SOBER!!
Great positive way to look at it. There are too many addicts out there sitting on the streets, sleeping on a floor, or on their death bed. They probably wanted out of it just as bad as many of us, but maybe didn't have the resources or support like we have.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:37 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Welcome to those joining us in May. The weekend's got off to a good start. Went out last night, but did the designated driver thing. Had the very briefest of cravings when I first walked in the hotel, but that lasted maybe 20 seconds. Glad not to have woken with a hangover; I feel bad enough being tired today due to a late one last night! Today has been spent pottering at home, catching up on housework. Tomorrow should be more interesting: I will spend tomorrow doing something fun!

Hope everyone's weekend is going okay.