Notices

One Year & Over Part 38

Old 05-28-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

That's a shame Groundhog Day But so much better to miss an event through illness rather than through a hangover
Old 05-28-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Overs my weekend just got better peaky blinders will be extended by two seasons

Mr robot season 2 this july
Old 05-28-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  
Re-Member

ON Edit: Aha! It was you Wolf! Thanks I love that show. I am about to watch S1 E4 tonight.

I forgot who mentioned Peaky Blinders here but it was twice and I think Wolf was onto it first but I could not find the posts to save my soul! So I went to Amazon Prime and could not find it after searching. So I went to Netflix and found it in the new items and sure enough I was hooked after two episodes from Season 1. Better than Gangs of New York because more time for the characters to develop. So thanks whoever told us about it. I only have two episodes of Grace and Frankie left and two of "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt."

Ivan Mike,
I am glad you are feeling better. I can relate to feeling old and worn out sometimes. You have to realize that now you are one of the ones with enough time sober to inspire others. It is a tough thing to see others fail at recovery. But until I realized I could do nothing to change the mind of a drinker, or a relapse in progress, until they wanted to, it becomes easier to let them go so they can find peace, one way or another.

Since I have recovered I have become a bigger man. Literally! I gained 50 pounds! But at about six months I got tired of hearing that relapses were a part of recovery here, and took a short break. I finally realized that whether relapse was part of the recovery of others in their minds, relapsing shows they white knuckled instead of working on recovery. The reason it had such an effect on me was I quit smoking 3 packs of smokes a day as well as my 30 units of alcohol a day addiction at the same time. My PAWS was awful! I never want to go through that again. I finally realized what others did or did not believe had nothing to do with me. I am recovered, that despite the fact that I am also one drink away from a one way ticket to a personal hell. I am grinning as I type this because I now know I never have to because I am not deprived, I gained my sobriety.
Mike, I only know you from a few posts here. But if you haven't, see your doc or a doc and find out what the deal is. Maybe depression maybe something simple like a fixable anemia or other treatable issue.
There are only three Connecticut Yankees here, although I am now in the deep south of the part of East Texas they call NW Louisiana, I spent my teens in Stamford back in the 60s. We had three before and lost one years ago. We've waited for a replacement. Glad you're here.

Thanks Dharma, It was my pleasure.

RZ YW!

FBL,
I do remember your story there, glad you got to here!

GHD,
I hope you feel better soon. If you just drink lots of fluids it takes just 7 days to get well. However, thanks to modern medicine and anti viral drugs, we can be over it in just one week!

Star,
You probably made more but after retirement I had two incomes. I was a draft dodger and had a warrant out for my arrest by my local draft board. See, I knew I was going to be drafted because my draft number was low. If I let that happen it was Army and "Go directly to Vietnam, do not pass go, do not collect $200." I finally decided to join the Air Force and get a better experience and training, which I did, just a week before my draft notice came in January 1971 and I did not respond. They finally found me hiding out - in basic training . . . SAFE!
I began my higher tolerance in my last few years in the military 20 years later. So I lost nothing but my self respect and a few years of being a hermit after the military career. I experimented with drugs in the 60s but nothing serious, just alcohol later when I really thought it was OK for retirement. In reality it just made me Re-Tired.

GHD,
With my local family, I'd go and touch them all. Enjoy a restful weekend instead.

Hi FG!
I don't think it is any set of circumstances or good and bad stretches that make alcoholics. I've seen some pretty hard luck folks not addicted to any substance, as well as some very successful drunks. The military has little tolerance for substance abusers including alcoholics. Back during the draft it was different, but after the 80s if they could not pull their weight, we gave them the boot. Many had/have problems after combat. We have lots of walking wounded. I am OK.

I have been putzing around during our recent storms this week and it is finally sunny and I intend to go out in the photon radiation!

Have a peaceful holiday here and a great weekend for my friends in other places.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  
Do your best

Enjoy peaky blinders Itch I think Cilllain Murphy is excellent in itshort, it's short seasons but really detailed and excellent visually

I'm off to bed goodnight all
Old 05-28-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do you guys like Boardwalk Empire too, Itch and soberwolf?

D
Old 05-28-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs.

GHD , sorry to hear you're still under the weather and will miss your family do.

Only 3.30 am still dark outside but just had a near miss with the asthma. So I've got it under control now and gonna get a drink.

I've never heard of peasy blinders, Wolfie. Just looked it up and looks interesting, might take a gander.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:28 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Dee,
I haven't gotten into that yet. Is it good? I don't get the cable channels just the over the air and streaming from Amazon Prime and Netflix. They get the HBO and Showtime shows well after they are first shown. I just checked and I can watch seasons 1-4 free on Amazon Prime. I like anything Steve Buscemi is in anyway.
Thanks Dee.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

S1 Ep 3 of Peaky Blinders, here!

I think I have seen every series possible on Netflix. When I quit drinking I found it amazing that I would remember the episode(s) I watched the night before. It was quite a discovery!

I should check out Boardwalk Empire. Steve Buscemi rocks. Bloodline I haven't watched yet, and a 2nd season just came out.

On cable this season I really liked Baskets, and Better Call Saul.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  
Administrator

BE is slower than Peaky Blinders but yeah it's good

D
Old 05-28-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Do you guys like Boardwalk Empire too, Itch and soberwolf?

D
Was planning on starting that if I get done with my classes tonight
Old 05-29-2016, 12:39 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

now you got the hang of it itch!

i'm off to the flea
Old 05-29-2016, 12:45 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wolf,
Cillian Murphy reminds me a lot of Rob James-Collier from Downton Abbey who played Thomas Barrow.

Mags,
Sorry to hear you had such a bad night.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  
Do your best

Il check out boardwalk empire D - thanks

Good morning everyone

D I've only got it from season 5
Old 05-29-2016, 01:17 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Thanks Itch. - My work schedule is a bit odd (4 AM - 1 PM). It doesn't line up with my G/F's schedule and meetings very well, so it can get easy to inadvertently miss sleep. That contributes a lot to fatigue, as does the fact that it can be a bit physical. And I'm not 20! The diet and exercise ratio needs some tweaking as well. My yearly physical is up in July, so the fatigue is on the list to chat about. I'm in the middle of a round of allergy shots, so that may help as well. Oddly, I haven't been very depressed since i quit using! I did the antidepressant route in the past, but how i felt then and how i feel now are a lot different. Still, I'm not always the most engaged and happy person, so I won't discount the possibility.

In other news, being in a healthy relationship is still new to me. Yesterday the G/F and I had a few rough spots (mostly I was irritable), but we were able to talk and own our parts and get over it. Not letting conflicts fester and become resentments is novel. I fell short quite a few times yesterday. I'm going to ask for the ability to do better today. 10-11-12.

Have fun today kids.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:39 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have got it D going to give episode 1 a spin now - thanks

looks good
Old 05-29-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

I watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders and thought it was great. Only thing is I don't have time to watch TV! I normally leave the house at 8.45am to take my youngest to school and I don't get home till 9.30pm! The life of the self employed!!

I like to dedicate the weekend to family time so that's the kind of TV we normally watch... Harry Potter season at the moment. Number 3 this afternoon!

Wishing you all a great Sunday.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mrs sw just started drawing pictures of stuff were doing & how things will look around the house saying I'm not overloading you am I ? I laughed and said no she was in her element lol

Getting there
Old 05-29-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I'm a HUGE fan of Boardwalk Empire. It's fiction, but based on a lot of fact. Stick with it all the way through, you won't be disappointed.

I'll have to check out some of these other shows. As most of you here know, I'm mostly into the old stuff, but I feel that we're in a new golden age of TV right now, especially the cable shows. I'm in the midst of watching all 48 Bowery Boys films in chronological order and also the Blu-ray restorations of several of the classic Universal monster movies. In a few weeks I'm going to start re-watching the entire 5 year daily run of Dark Shadows (that's 1255 episodes!) on a "50-years ago today" schedule. So, between all of that and other interests and my job, I'll be busy indeed.

I also need to squeeze in my daily walks, so I'm off for my extended Sunday morning nature walk.

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Old 05-29-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Love reading about all the TV shows :-). I never seem to have time even though I'm retired . But I have lots of ideas from all of you!
Old 05-29-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
I'm a HUGE fan of Boardwalk Empire. It's fiction, but based on a lot of fact. Stick with it all the way through, you won't be disappointed. I'll have to check out some of these other shows. As most of you here know, I'm mostly into the old stuff, but I feel that we're in a new golden age of TV right now, especially the cable shows. I'm in the midst of watching all 48 Bowery Boys films in chronological order and also the Blu-ray restorations of several of the classic Universal monster movies. In a few weeks I'm going to start re-watching the entire 5 year daily run of Dark Shadows (that's 1255 episodes!) on a "50-years ago today" schedule. So, between all of that and other interests and my job, I'll be busy indeed. I also need to squeeze in my daily walks, so I'm off for my extended Sunday morning nature walk. Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Okay, that's it. Too many people who have opinions I respect like Boardwalk. I'm going to have to try it, dang it