Notices

Class of April 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 04-19-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

I was able to get in meeting last night. It felt real good to be amongst fellow alcoholics on the journey to recovery. We are a very small community, where everyone know everybody.

It's a double edge sword, but the time has come to own up to my alcoholism.

I'm not drinking today. Today is all I have.

In the words of **** Das Ram, " be here now, now be here". Keeping my sobriety in the present moment.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Jan- I am glad the lemon water works. You are doing great. At least you know the truth and know you are romanticizing drinking.

I know I can't drink without consequences. I may be able to drink for a day or two without any but that's about it and really that's not guaranteed.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Welcome SD and Starting Over and welcome back Emme! Great reading tonight everyone, thanks! I'm off to my meeting. I've gotten so that I really look forward to them. When I first started trying to get sober again, way back in Feb or March, I hated going and usually found an excuse to skip. This is a good change for me!
I'm still really tired though. I must have really wrecked myself physically, because after 10 days I sometimes still feel hungover. It passes and I'm pushing through. Want to go on a health kick, diet, exercise, the whole thing. But, I will keep recovery first. If I don't stay sober, I know I won't do the rest.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! I hope everyone's day is going well. Lets keep living this sober life ya'll! This is my day 2.

So I barely got any sleep last night. I wasn't craving alcohol or anything. I just naturally get more anxious at night. Mostly because of my mom. She's not in exactly bad health, but she's a smoker and overweight, and I feel like I kinda always need to be on alert mode so to speak. Just in case if she gets sick. Thats another reason why I used to drink. It stopped me from "worrying" so much. I sleep better when she's awake. I have sleeping pills, but they're usually a hit or miss for me at night. My sleep schedule is definitely on my list of things to work on.

I apologized PROFUSELY to my brother, and it went fine. He said that he was sorry to and that he loved me. So hopefully his next visit will be a lot less tense. We were both in rare form the night he came up.

I've been feeling kinda Blah today. Not exactly depressed or angry. Just kinda mentally drained. I had A LOT of trouble getting out of bed this morning because I was so tired. Me and my mom had to go to the dealership to get something on her car fixed, so I had to force myself out of bed. It went fine though. I got through it. It's almost 8 here in PA and i'm just trying to keep busy before I wind down. I'm doing laundry, listening to music etc.

You know for me it's not so much that I miss the alcohol itself. It's like I miss the ritual and having something to look foward to everyday, if that makes any sense. It was kind of the highlight of my day. Thats how lame and boring my life is. I looked forward to getting plastered every night.

My mason jars arrived today, and i'm excited about that, because I wanna make all different kinds of infused waters. My old therapist called them sexy waters lmao. I've also been watching A LOT of stand up comedy. I listened to one Sabastian Maniscalco's special's while getting dressed this morning, and it helped A LOT to get me going this morning. laughing is just an AMAZING stress reliever. I always said my sense of humor keeps me sane. If I loose that i'm screwed.

I will link his two specials for you guys. He his HILARIOUS. The first time I ever watched his specials I got a sore throat and stomach ache from laughing so hard. I think his stand ups are a great escape. Getting sober is stressful and I think it's important to have some levity every now and then you know? Life shouldn't always be so damn serious all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY9enrltwsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeLRIhdSAXc
Old 04-19-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Tati- congrats on day 2!!

That's a great idea about making infused water. I will have to try that.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Tati, I know you say you had blah day today, but you sound more upbeat to me. Look forward to the links. I hope you rest well today
. I for one, am completely exhausted. Long day with work meetings literally straight through from 8 am to 5 pm, then rushing off to get one kid to soccer practice that was farther away from home than normal due to wet fields here. But on the positive side , my 8 year old son came with and he and I had a nice dinner date at a great little Greek hole in the wall restaurant while my daughter was at practice. Just got home and going to take the dog for quick walk before I call it a night. I didn't sleep well last night. A little wired from my first AA meeting. Got up early (4 am ) to get caught up on some work, but ended up mostly using the time to read instead. Now I feel like getting a cold--headache and achy. I think I'm just beat. Even on good nights I never get enough sleep. Cravings hit a bit along with crankiness around 5 pm, but felt better after I ate. A nice lady from AA texted to check in on me. Really wanted to try another meeting today but didn't work out with schedule. Hoping to go to 7 am meeting thurs because looks like another impossible schedule tomorrow. I'm feeling strong for the most part, but feel like I can't let guard down at all. Doesn't take long for mind to wander back to thoughts of drinking.
Stay strong everyone. Day 12 tomorrow for me. So thankful to be here.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Oh, and welcome to everyone new! I kept browsing on posts at work but want to reread them tonight. Our class is getting large. Already feel like I know many of you and look forward to getting to know you all.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 12 Suzie! I hope you get some rest and feel better tomorrow. I can't let my guard down either.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suzie89 View Post
Tati, I know you say you had blah day today, but you sound more upbeat to me. Look forward to the links. I hope you rest well today
. I for one, am completely exhausted. Long day with work meetings literally straight through from 8 am to 5 pm, then rushing off to get one kid to soccer practice that was farther away from home than normal due to wet fields here. But on the positive side , my 8 year old son came with and he and I had a nice dinner date at a great little Greek hole in the wall restaurant while my daughter was at practice. Just got home and going to take the dog for quick walk before I call it a night. I didn't sleep well last night. A little wired from my first AA meeting. Got up early (4 am ) to get caught up on some work, but ended up mostly using the time to read instead. Now I feel like getting a cold--headache and achy. I think I'm just beat. Even on good nights I never get enough sleep. Cravings hit a bit along with crankiness around 5 pm, but felt better after I ate. A nice lady from AA texted to check in on me. Really wanted to try another meeting today but didn't work out with schedule. Hoping to go to 7 am meeting thurs because looks like another impossible schedule tomorrow. I'm feeling strong for the most part, but feel like I can't let guard down at all. Doesn't take long for mind to wander back to thoughts of drinking.
Stay strong everyone. Day 12 tomorrow for me. So thankful to be here.
I'm kinda faking it tbh lmao. You know that whole fake it to you make it philosophy. I'm Just trying to have a different outlook this time around. I always looked at quitting alcohol as losing a "friend" or my only "Joy" in life. I never looked at the POSITIVES of quitting. This time around i'm looking at it like i'm GAINING something by quitting.

I'm sorry you had such an exhausting day. I hope you get better rest tonight. It's so frustrating not being able to sleep. I can completely relate *Hugs*. And definitely check out the links!
Old 04-19-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midwest1981 View Post
Congrats on day 12 Suzie! I hope you get some rest and feel better tomorrow. I can't let my guard down either.
Thanks, Midwest. You sound like you had the kind of day I wish I had . Of course, I guess one thing the crazy schedule does is keep me from having much time to think!! Have a good night.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midwest1981 View Post
Tati- congrats on day 2!!

That's a great idea about making infused water. I will have to try that.
. Yeah you should! It's something FUN to drink and it's good for you! Unlike anxiety in a bottle aka booze
Old 04-19-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tati View Post
I'm kinda faking it tbh lmao. You know that whole fake it to you make it philosophy. I'm Just trying to have a different outlook this time around. I always looked at quitting alcohol as losing a "friend" or my only "Joy" in life. I never looked at the POSITIVES of quitting. This time around i'm looking at like i'm GAINING something by quitting. I'm sorry you had such an exhausting day. I hope you get better rest tonight. It's so frustrating not being able to sleep. I can completely relate *Hugs*. And definitely check out the links!
Fake it to till you make it...if that's what it takes, that's what it takes! Love your new outlook. In my 20s I was actually a school counselor (changed to IT in my 30s ), and I remember learning about cognitive therapy. If I'm remembering my stuff, it's all about our thoughts influencing our feelings, which can influence our behavior. Or something like that.....hope you have a smooth rest of your night.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

I drink grapefruit juice as my replacement drink. I know it sounds horrible, but I actually look forward to it almost like I use to look forward to a drink. It's really high in natural sugar. I also drink chocolate milk. I love that stuff! I'm going to watch your comedy links Tati. I need a laugh!
Old 04-19-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  
Sober since 29th March 2016.

Hello! How are you? I wake up every morning feeling like I was hitten by a truck.. and I am very tired, but cannot sleep enough due to my job. Waiting for the week-end desperately.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Hi guys, morning to you all.

It's been a few weeks since I checked in on this thread or contributed as I was on vacation. Glad to see so many people have and continue to join the Class of April'16.

Today is day 17 for me. Even though I was travelling through Europe on holiday, which would typically mean drinking every day at any opportunity, (why not, who cares what state people see me in, it's not as if I'm going to see them again?!), I managed to overcome the demon inside me and the temptation for a drink to remain sober for the entire trip. Something that I am very proud of and couldn't have imagined doing 1 or 2 months ago.

I've got to admit it was a brilliant holiday and somewhat of an unfamiliar holiday. It was really refreshing to wake up every morning without a hangover and to be able to do productive things - site see, go on excursions, walk around the city, shop, eat at nice restaurants, etc. I guess the things that normal people do?

I'm not going to lie and say it was easy, it was very difficult especially in the beginning (it still is as I'm sure you can all appreciate), with the thoughts of alcohol going through my mind but the ability to do meaningful things and with the encouragement of my wife, this quickly outweighed the temptation to spend the day getting drunk.

And so the sobriety and the determination to remain sober continues now that I am home.

Anyway, enough about me. Hope you all have a wonderful day and I look forward to remaining part of the Class of April'16 with you.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:02 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Busy day. Just checking in. Day 2.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:30 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Just woke up scared thinking I was hung over. Alcohol knocks my system off badly. It's 2am

I was sober for 2 months. Does anyone know if all that DT trouble will occur again. Anxiety is worse at night for me.

Day before yesterday I drank. I have a lot of family problems, and was trying to do too much work on the house on a off day. With kids and my wife being sick I got overwhelmed and back started hurting. Kept working thinking drinking a few beers would loosen me up.
Stupid
Old 04-20-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Just woke up scared thinking I was hung over. Alcohol knocks my system off badly. It's 2am

I was sober for 2 months. Does anyone know if all that DT trouble will occur again. Anxiety is worse at night for me.

Day before yesterday I drank. I have a lot of family problems, and was trying to do too much work on the house on a off day. With kids and my wife being sick I got overwhelmed and back started hurting. Kept working thinking drinking a few beers would loosen me up.
Stupid
Don't beat yourself up JL. We all make mistakes but I prefer to think that a mistake, when you can learn from it,is an opportunity....
Old 04-20-2016, 12:31 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

I'm joining you guys . Day 1
Old 04-20-2016, 02:34 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone!

Day 4 here. I really wanted to drink last night but I didn't. It should feel like a victory but it's just tiring. It was exhausting to fight through.

Speaking of exhausting, when I was drinking, I would get maybe 6.5 hours of not so great sleep and pop out of bed at 4:15 to work out. Now I'm going to bed earlier to avoid the urge, sleeping better, and barely dragging myself out of bed at 5:15. This happened last week before I slipped up, too. Anyone else?

Anyway - my recovery plan for the day:
I found another podcast I really like so now I have a couple to choose from. I will listen to them on my commute. I'm working with veterans today all day, which really makes me feel good and will not make me want to drink. This evening my husband has to work late so instead of our normal date-night, which normally includes a glass of wine or 2, I'm going to go for a run since I didn't get up in time this morning. Then I plan on trying to get some homework done, which will keep me from drinking until hopefully I'm so tired I just go to bed.

I am not drinking today.

BBB