Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 28

Old 03-06-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi gang.

A guy never gets too old for mom's cooking. So good and a beautiful day to enjoy it all alfresco. It is nice and springlike now Leigh, but I did notice the things growing on the pines that make a tremendous amount of pollen. When it is at its peak and the wind gusts the trees look like a giant feather duster shaking off. It'll be a welcome break to visit Boston this summer and escape the relentless heat/humidity that'll take over all too soon.

You nailed it Arbor, I found the packaging for all the bulbs I planted and it is a mixture of pink and white tulips and purple hyacinth.

We haven't put apples on Dutch baby yet phoebe, but have used various berries, lemon zest with sugar, maple syrup, powdered sugar, whipped cream......I think you put whatever you want. I like it all. And I'll likely get a bit more advise from you when our trip gets a bit closer. May research the north end as BD referenced.

Spring break for older daughter is this week and will be next week for my little one. Where has this school year gone? I hope the weekend has been pleasant for the team and that your Monday is going well V.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The hyacinth will be gorgeous with the tulips, Mark!!! What a beautiful garden you have.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you Leigh. I'm not artsy and not talented musically but my garden is a refuge and at its best.....usually April and May.....looks a bit like a serene Monet painting.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Thank you Leigh. I'm not artsy and not talented musically but my garden is a refuge and at its best.....usually April and May.....looks a bit like a serene Monet painting.

That is easy to 'see' from the garden clips you have shown us!!!!
Old 03-06-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I adore hyacinths, but I am allergic. Big time.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Goodnight, all.

Catch you tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Here is my garden:

I had imagined myself a better gardener. My dad loved it, and I'd follow him around as a kid, sometimes helping. It is back-breaking work! I'd love some garden beds raised on legs. Maybe someday...
Old 03-06-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Nice Phoebe - did you color that? It's beautiful! I'm a terrible gardener, though I come from a family of great ones. My husband's good at it, though, and he enjoys it. I sure got lucky with him, an accountant and gardener.

Mark - I'd have to say my husband and his mom are the exception. His mom's cooking traumatized him so profoundly that he refuses to eat anything that even remotely resembles a casserole. I thought he was overreacting, but after a couple dinners at her house, I understood. I love her, but her cooking is absolutely terrible.

V - I worry about folks when they disappear. I hope they turn up soon! My little brother did some exceptionally stupid things when he was younger, particularly involving alcohol and vehicles. He lost a couple trucks that way. I gave him so much hell for it, but he had to be ready to grow up on his own. It was hard for me to understand because I've always been the cautious, mature, protective type. He was a daredevil. Drove me to madness, that kid.

Here's today's mandala. My daughter calls them one dollas:

Old 03-06-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Your daughter is so cute Briar. Not to forget Arbor's oldest....remember "I fine" ?
I know, they are all precious, most of the time.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yes, Briar, thanks! I colored that over the course of last week. It's with gel pens, mostly, but I'm doing one with pencil now. More time consuming and meditative, blending colors, and such. I'll put some pictures in an album, since they are too big. Photobucket has not been loading the edit page for resizing. I'm sure it's a glitch with my computer, but I haven't figured it out.

I need to get to bed! Up at 6:10. Maybe I'll do daughter's lunch now, and sleep a little later.

Goodnight all.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My personal lunch tip:

I put my fresh bread into the freezer as soon as I get it home. You can buy extra so that some stays out....

Take the bread out of the freezer and make the sandwich on frozen bread, wrap it tight in cling wrap and put it in the fridge, when you take it out in the morning it is perfectly fresh and ready to eat. That's if you like sandwiches of course; I'm a big fan.

(I can hear you laughing, but sandwiches are my best thing...I made a lot of them for my dad when he wouldn't eat the food at the nursing home).
Old 03-06-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Great tip, V. I'll have to try that.

Phoebe - you asked earlier if you could print and color my drawings - yes, absolutely! But be sure to post them here for us to admire your coloring.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

My M-I-L was not a cook. Neither was my Mom. It's not hard to top them. I love looking at flowers but I'm like Briar-no gardening skills. Mark, I love Monet. When DD was a baby I hung a big Monet hung above her crib. I'd love to sit in your garden , Mark, with a good book

Venus, I love 'Life in Pieces'! Funniest new show in a while. There are only a few comedies that I like and that one is awesome. Modern Family, of course, and Fresh Off the Boat is cute too. Happy Monday all.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

A very beautiful garden you've got there phoebe. I never knew about gel pens.

I like sandwiches....and casseroles. Briar, I'm sure your husband is grateful for your cooking skills given his unfortunate casserole trauma.

Happy Monday all.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good morning gang.

I guess I need to check out Pushing Daisies and Mom on Netflix! It is not easy to find good comedies.

I also like sandwiches and casseroles, while we are on the subject, but the kids are not fans of either. My son likes exactly 2 sandwiches: grilled cheese, and honey maple turkey with smoked gouda cheese. It has to be exactly that! He has it dry. Daughter only eat sunbutter and does mix up her breads a bit. She has broadened her palate to accept Flat out Flatbread honey wheat, whole wheat mini bagels, and oatmeal bread. Trying to get away from white bread. Oh, it is also very good on Pepperidge Farms cinnamon swirl bread, but it better not have raisins in it! She brings some form of that sandwich every single day to school, with an apple, clementines and a granola bar or other sweet snack. She is not a fan of change, can you tell??

Anyway, good tip, V. We often freeze bread and bagels. It really keeps bagels soft, but they do need toasting after that. Sandwiches can be amazing!! I love them too.

Have a little volunteer gig this morning. Not too much time. I may be meeting the person I hand it off to, as my youngest graduates out of this school in June. Yay!! I am ready to be done with a few things there, and not loving the principal much anymore, so it will be good to move along after 11 years there between two kids. Time for a change. It will also have them on the same schedule for the next 2 years, after which daughter will likely go away for college. Though, I could see her possibly choosing to stick close for a year or two. That would be fine.

Things are good here. We have a motivation to clean up more intense,y and do some painting. Hubby's sister and family will come for a night in a few weeks, on their way to Logan Airport in Boston. Time to get busy! They have a beautiful home and she is an above average compulsive housekeeper on top of her full time job and 4 kids. She is a machine!! Lovely family, we adore them, but I get stressed when they come here, because I am not the greatest housekeeper.

Okay, off to wait t the bus with ds, and the dog. Have a good day folks!
Old 03-07-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Have a great day everyone!

Thanks for the sandwich tip Vee. What kinds do you like to make?

Funny thing, my four year old won't eat bread. Kid has never had a PB&J sandwich! Or pizza for that matter. Kids a real health nut! Eats mostly whole foods in the raw.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I only recently conned my daughter into eating a pb&j. She liked it, but it didn't stick. She only wants jelly on bread. She only eats sourdough bread. Her only acceptable sandwich is grilled cheese. She and my husband will happily eat all the elements of a normal sandwich, but if you actually stack them together - nope.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
I only recently conned my daughter into eating a pb&j. She liked it, but it didn't stick. She only wants jelly on bread. She only eats sourdough bread. Her only acceptable sandwich is grilled cheese. She and my husband will happily eat all the elements of a normal sandwich, but if you actually stack them together - nope.

Too funny, Briar!!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Have a great day everyone!

Thanks for the sandwich tip Vee. What kinds do you like to make?

Funny thing, my four year old won't eat bread. Kid has never had a PB&J sandwich! Or pizza for that matter. Kids a real health nut! Eats mostly whole foods in the raw.

Wow, Arbor; hope he continues to like the good stuff!!!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
Here is my garden:

I had imagined myself a better gardener. My dad loved it, and I'd follow him around as a kid, sometimes helping. It is back-breaking work! I'd love some garden beds raised on legs. Maybe someday...
That is absolutely beautiful, phoebe; did you color that?