Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 02-05-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Today is my Day 1. Again.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VirginiaWoof View Post
Just popped in here as I feel a 'wobble' coming on and can see I'm not the only one

I was placing an online order for a grocery delivery tomorrow and my AV was telling me it would be ok to order one small, single serving bottle of wine. No...... no......... noooooooo

I won't do it!
Hey everybody, can I join the thread?

VirginiaWoof, that is exactly me. I've been sober since new years day, but have had a bit of a wobble and thought about getting a glass size bottle of red. 'It's meant to be good for you a bit of red wine' I was telling myself. Anyway, I'm still here and hanging on.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Glad you found us, TaylorSaint and jimmyhow. Post often!

And congrats on one month+, jimmyhow. I'm a long way from that mark myself, looking forward to getting there. Being honest and open in here is helping a ton.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
Thank you for all the messages. This Friday is going to go smoothly for all of us. Sometimes I imagine the cells of my body recovering (as corny as that sounds). The experts say the body knows how to repair itself if given a chance. Today I will give it that chance as I head to the gym. Have the best Friday you can. Good thoughts to all! - Mel
Your post doesn't sound corny. I think I need some healing time this weekend as well.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Welcome, new classmates.

I'm checking in because I want to drink. This anxiety has me completely wrecked. These podcasts sound interesting. Maybe I'll check that out. I can't keep drinking. It just can't be an option but this is miserable.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Glad you checked in, Camryn. Post in here as much as you need to--every minute if that's what it takes. The cravings and anxiety do lessen, just look at folks like Dee and the hundreds of other sober folks who are active on these boards. I want what they have and not taking that first drink is the first step toward me getting there.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

I'd like to check out the podcasts too.

The anxiety as you know is really honestly worse when you keep drinking. Search YouTube for guided meditation and lay down in the dark to breathe. One idea.

And keep posting!
Old 02-05-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Thanks, guys. You both are right. I've had a year sober before so I know first hand that life can be good. I don't know why I keep putting myself through this but the only way to get long term sobriety is to take it one step at a time.

Yes, drinking totally makes it worse. Guided meditation sounds interesting. I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

feelin a bit under the weather, so a quiet night in for me!!
wishing all the best for you guys
Old 02-05-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Morning yer all, just checking in.

Caught up with all the posts.

Survived the blood test, results next week.

AV hit me with a vengeance yesterday afternoon. took all my strength but I headed out to vegetable garden. Did some weeding and AV was gone, so celebrated with a lime and soda.

Just not getting consistent sleep at the moment. Go to bed when I'm tired but will wake up every 1-2 hours. Might have to reduce the amount of caffeine, I drink during the day, bugger!

Wet, miserable but warm day today, organised a fishing trip with a friend for today. Will go out anyway, beats sitting at home ... as the saying goes ... "A bad fishing is better than a good day at work".

TED talks has a couple of talks on addiction. I recently found, like some of you, how powerful books are too.

Havagood Saturday, everyone.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I'm out of the woods as far as Friday goes. Had a moment earlier where I felt really demoralised by a colleague and then just started generally feeling rubbish about myself and thought stuff it 'I'll get a bottle of wine' thankfully I steered clear of shop and am now enjoying sitting here sober and content as opposed to my usual by this time on a Friday of having finished my wine and begging my BF to go and buy more for me! Hang in there February guys- I just keep running the story of my drinking right through to the end and it's just not worth it. Be good everyone, we all deserve to wake up looking and feeling better
Old 02-05-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Great work Mia!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Great job Mia!

Hope your sleep gets better, JamesSquire. I know that's common for many when they first stop drinking. Luckily, I'm the exact opposite. Taking alcohol out of the equation makes my sleep instantly so much better. No more waking up three or four times a night either because I have to pee or because my body is going through those initial withdrawals a few hours after my last drink.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mia83 View Post
...I just keep running the story of my drinking right through to the end and it's just not worth it.
A great thing to do for anybody. And then add 'and if I drink, this time WON'T be different whatever else I tell myself'.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Why is there always atleast one totally unbearable person in a work place?? Really need to learn the art of not giving a ****!
Anyways good evening comrades
Old 02-05-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Welcome Taylor and jimmy. Stay close, you can do this with us one day at a time!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Mia, thanks for sharing that. It is really encouraging to read of people overcoming those addictive thoughts. Way to go!

I can't wait until that voice in my head starts to dim. In these early days, that's the only voice I can hear. One day at a time. I hate that phrase but it's true.

I'm house sitting tonight. I may order a pizza. That actually sounds appetizing.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

In all honesty, I'm not desperately craving at the moment as my last session is so burnt into my mind- however it will be the coming weekends I will start to struggle. So glad I found Sr- hopefully we can all stay in this class
Old 02-05-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Well, busy day for me. Took my Mom to the hospital for an echocardiogram. Unfortunately, she has been living with Afib for years. No results yet, hoping for good news though. As I sat there in the cardio unit, I was thinking of how horrible excess alcohol is to ones body. How I dont want to end up there someday, because of my drinking. My mother's afib isnt alcohol related at all, I was just thinking those thoughts about me. And of course every other organ it affects in the body. Scary stuff. And how much I would regret letting my addiction steal my life and health from me.

Thanks rustyb for the info on the podcasts. I have an Android phone tho, guess theres an app for that too? I will research it.

My AV did make a slight appearance today, but I squashed it down pretty quickly, TG. Its not always that easy sometimes, as most of us know.

So, hoping everyone is stayin the course. Weve got this!
Old 02-05-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hi Taylor and Jimmy

Mia- I am especially sensitive at the moment about work things too- think its because I can't 'drink away' my frustrations and annoyance, but, each and every one of us on here knows that drinking never helped anything. keep reminding myself the discomfort is temporary.

Last night, I got up through the night to use the bathroom and I wasn't half cut, didn't feel hellish with dehydrated mouth and brain. I love these small wins!