Notices

One Year & Over Part 34

Old 02-10-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Hi everyone, 89 degrees Fahrenheit in my part of California today, just saying. Blue sky with lots of spring blossoms, I'm goin swimming at the Athletic Club. Sorry, I had too.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Spring blossoms!!!
It's cold as a** here.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey all you flying by!

FBL,
I know exactly what you mean. I too am not all bent out of shape and discuss it openly. I am like a kid getting to jump in the body of another and feel that person's body slowly deteriorate as a Wow! Now I know what they meant by this or that expression or feeling. Despite it being my body the trip is interesting to say the least. It is an important and interesting part of the trip.

Living well: 1
Entropy: 0

I am so glad you are posting the artists we are losing. many of them are us, just never stopped.

“Don't call yourself a secret
unless you mean to keep it.”
― Leonard Cohen, Selected Poems 1956-1968

“If you don't become the ocean, you'll be seasick every day.”
― Leonard Cohen

“Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.”
― Leonard Cohen

Night all.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Ah! Leonard Cohen, my fellow Canadian. Thanks Itchy. I'm working my way through Beautiful Losers right now.
I saw him perform in Vancouver a few years ago. One of the best concerts I've ever seen. He is a true gentleman and natural performer. Elegance personified.

I saw my counsellor today, we talked about my anxieties and how I'm dealing with this situation... I'm still so confused about what to do. I really want the job I interviewed for yesterday, in the Rockies. Fingers crossed please. I'll be disappointed if I don't get it. But if I don't, it will mean that I can possibly stay here.....I'm really trying to be patient and think things through without getting excited and panicking.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  
Do your best

Morning
Old 02-10-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm dating myself by saying that I bought "The Spice Box Of Earth" the year it was published. I also bought his first album, "The Songs Of Leonard Cohen" when it came out. (1968?) I memorized several of his poems. He is, no question.

For those who've never read him, either the above or "Flowers For Hitler." Some folks don't get him, others don't like him, and some of us can't get enough but need breaks of a week to consider each poem. My teen years were Cohen and The Last Poets:

And Nico and The Velvet underground singing a love song to Heroin, something far removed from my suburban habits smoking weed and dropping "Purple Haze" or Windowpane lysergic acid diethylamide. We did recreational drugs back then in the 'burbs, because the pusher was born in the city, from the desperation of hopelessness, the abstention from living, that led to leaving it entirely.

Andy Warhol produced and Lou Reed sang leads. It was a hit with the New York crowd and many still never heard of them, but for us, a seminal experience.
We swung from Cream to Arlo to Donovan to Last Poets, and grokked "Stranger In A Strange Land," in between Tolkien and the "Fiddler On The Roof" Soundtrack. There were no barriers delineating limits or exclusive solidarities, except for those rooted in fiercely believing in the apostasy of xenos to become phobic about.

Eclectic was too rigid to describe the summer of love, as the movement foundered on a sea of grass. As the sellers became the sell outs, the sword returned to the stone as we realized Camelot was long gone and could not be resuscitated. The bullets flew, found their marks, and we saw our hopes bleed out on the 5:00 news, tryin to make a moral stand, on a patch of foreign land.

I'm exhausted and free associating. Sorry. Been discussing politics with a nice right wing extremist all day. His politics was his religion and vice versa. It's a shame when history left unread, can lead to so many dead. I want the answer, where HAVE all the flowers gone????

It was all enough to drive me to sobriety in hindsight.

Time to lighten up:

Nite all!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:52 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Morning Wolf
Old 02-11-2016, 12:24 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

For the arachnaphobes among us Itchy, a little warning next time!!!! Frighteningly fascinating!
Old 02-11-2016, 01:06 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs.

Nice pic Wolfie
Old 02-11-2016, 01:19 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
For the arachnaphobes among us Itchy, a little warning next time!!!! Frighteningly fascinating!
Um, yes.....and eww. And why???
Old 02-11-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Itch, I sometimes feel that I was born too late. I spent the summer of love in diapers Luckily I had twin brothers that were 6 years older, so I got my music and TV culture from a very early age. By the time I was 14, I discovered oldies music on the radio and got a quick musical education on the 1950s and 60s and soaked it up like a sponge (that was also the year I started soaking up beer like a sponge, but I digress). I never got into the likes of The Velvet Underground or Leonard Cohen. However, I DID discover the Last Poets in college, so there's that. I never dabbled in drugs, beyond alcohol and a tiny bit of pot (and yes, I DID inhale). The pot never did much for me, beyond giving me the munchies (and I certainly didn't need any help in that department). I believe that it's futile to try to sway most folks from their views on politics and religion, so I tend to shy away from those topics when possible.

Have a Thunderous Thursday, overs!
Old 02-11-2016, 03:51 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

going to lung doc today

the last in the slew of test

estate sale preview before hand, priorities you know!
Old 02-11-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs :-)

Fly by again - every day is busy but today is over the top. My essential todo list keeps on growing.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you ace the test Zip

D
Old 02-11-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

We just spent a fine, Sober Month down on the Colorado River in the new 23' RV Trailer. Chilly sometimes - as the Desert can be when El Ninos sweep through - but still better than Western Colorado Temps here in MesaVille at 6,150'.

With Dee in mind, I took this Electric Wheelchair Pic at the Route 66 Museum in Kingman Arizona. Of course, the Wood and Carpet Platform is there just for Display. A very low Center-of-Gravity; thanks to several, massive 6 Volt Batteries. Not a Wheelchair you'd throw in the back of the Mini Van to haul around, to be sure!

It was part of a Basement Display of Electric Vehicles in this very kewl Museum; housed in a re-purposed Electricity Power Plant right Downtown.

See some nice Pix in this Video...

- 'Route 66' ~ Chuck Berry -

Old 02-11-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Good morning.
Sitting outside enjoying coffee and cigarettes. It was 58 degrees here yesterday! Opened the windows and aired the place out. Very unusual for this time of year. It lifted my spirits.
I have the dreaded dental appointment at 11:00. After all of the years I neglected poor teeth I am grateful to have what's left.
My son and AGF friend live in the apartment next to me. I was glad he got away from AXH but his situation is the same. His things were put on porch last night and he went to a friends house. It's an endless cycle. I pray all the time for him. I was the classic codependent and "fixed" all of them. I now have my hands full with myself. I hope and pray they all find their higher power and sobriety.
Anyway, have a great Thursday.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope the test goes fine Rusty
Old 02-11-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

My influences growing up were my uncle, who was a rocker who lived in my grandparent's basement when I was a kid, I would sneak into his room and go through his records and Rolling Stones mags, a huge pile. Learned all about Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, etc. through him. And loved reading the articles in Rolling Stone, contributed to me wanting to be a writer.
Then later on my brother who is not much older than me, got into punk and metal and all sorts of other stuff, he would let me steal his tapes then cds. Then of course I went off on my own, and I have to say that the most important musical discovery for me was hearing Nirvana's Nevermind when I was about 13, just the perfect moment in time to hear that music, and I feel like it played a big part in influencing who I became as a teen and an adult. Music is powerful.

Btw love Velvet Underground too Itchy!

RZ good luck with the test and the sale.
Good luck at the dentists IMV.
Nice trip and pic MesaMan.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Hi Overs,

I hope you're all well, I couldn't log in yesterday, kept getting a message saying my password was wrong! Logged in no problem today though.

My dentist visit wasn't as bad as I anticipated, thank you for your commiserations, I had to go again this morning, three repairs to teeth I've chipped and I've had an impression done for a guard to wear at night to stop me doing more damage with the grinding.

Thanks for confirming re Imogen S.W, I should have known that, we've had so many hurricane names over the last few months. We've been lucky too in not being affected too badly by them or by the recent floods. It must be soul destroying for those who've been affected. I really feel for them.. Is that your little dog by the way?

I hope it's warmed up for you a bit F.B.L and you haven't had too much snow. It's very cold here at 1c and forcast to get colder over this coming week end. Fingers crossed that your molar doesn't cause you any pain.

Hi Rusty, I'm both safe and sober thanks, hope you are too. xx

Hi Imvalentine, bet you enjoyed the company of Ginger. I'm sorry to hear about all the drama you've had to endure and I hope it's calmed down now you've moved out. I can relate to drama too and that's also a long story, so I feel your pain, we don't need it.

IP how did your visit to the employment centre go? I had to go for the first time in my life last year, it was an eye opener to say the least. I hope your interview went well.

Hi Mags, you were lucky in those icy conditions, I hate driving in it, mind you I hate driving full stop! It was icy here this morning, had to scrape it off the windscreen. I've got two younger brothers and they both tell me that I'm bossy so maybe it's just a big sister thing. I hope you're feeling better in yourself today and I must say that your course sounds very interesting, I would love to do something like that.

Good to see you still posting here Itchy and I'm sorry to hear about your new choppers and dodgy haircut. I bet they both look fine.

Hi FBL, I was interested to read your post and your thoughts re your dad passing away. I used to be terrified of dying, but I'm not now after watching my dad fade away last year too. I think I've just accepted that its a natural process, whatever it is its better than being scared.

Never mind 'chickening out' re the dentist Carlos, get yourself down there an get those teeth checked, you won't grow another set and putting it off won't make any problems smaller ( ha ha, I sound like my mother!) Good to see you posting anyway and you're sounding in good spirits.

Hi busy Toots, I hope all is well with you and yours. Much love. xxxx

As above to you too Saskia, look after yourself. xxxx

Eternal, I'm not jealous of your weather, I'm not, I'm not, well to be honest I am. Just a bit.

Oops I have to go and do a school run, apologies to those I've missed.

See you soon

Lots of Love

Gxxx

Rusty I hope your lung tests went well. x
Old 02-11-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening guys when Mrs sw got bk she had a bit of a headache so I got a kool n soothe strip for her and said let's do a 15 min mindfulness meditation (she isn't big on meditation) so anyway there we were doing the meditation and afterward she felt better her headache went and she kept saying did you hear the birds I said of course to me it was serenity I didn't say this to her but she keeps saying didn't you find it weird at certain times the birds sang and cooed I said nice wasn't it

I don't push any of this on her and I quoted Dan Harris and said do you feel 10% happier she said more than 10% I thought awesome lol

Bit surprised by her reaction as normally she doesn't meditate but every now & then might become more regular

crazy what can happen in 15 minutes