Notices

One Year & Over Part 34

Old 02-06-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

I loved that article on Joan Didion, thanks for showing it to me Itchy. Very interesting person, I'll look for her books. Never read them. But that era of American History is interesting to me.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon Overs from a seriously windy London
Old 02-06-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Seriously windy here too SW.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Magsie

Yep, we've got much of the same!
Old 02-06-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wolf, my recently taciturn friend, howaya?

Mags,
Don't encourage me. NO, go ahead! I have been groovin to EW&F all morning and of the Disco hits I loved Shining Star by them and Let's Groove best. The 70's were my 20s. I joined the USAF 71, fell in love the same year, married 72, and had two children with my wife in 73 and 76. I was not a disco dancer but was into R&B and my mainstream then was James Taylor, CSN&Y, Moody Blues, Cat Stevens, Led Zep, The Lovin Spoonful, Donovan, Bernie Taupin's music as sung by Elton John, Cream, eclectic. So I dug through what I have in my collection from EW&F, which is a little of everybody and everything ever cut by a few. I have about thirty cuts by them and rather than clutter up this page with images here is the song list I think tops my EW&F list that you can look up on you tube. Warning, their songs start entirely differently than the middle and ends that you will remember.

Disco and Dance

1. Shining Star

2. Let's Groove

From their love songs:

1. That's the Way Of The World

2. Reasons

3. After The Love Has Gone.

RZ,
Amen

FBL,
OK good transition!

Sassy,
Whoa! Glad to hear you are working your way back. I avoided those and other "normal" drugs, having seen too many that got hooked then left on their own by their docs.

IP,
Realize her.

I saw your town in the middle of our longest and most wondrous trip of the seven years full time RVing, and loved your place. We drove all the way from Louisiana by way of Oklahoma City and left the day before the big tornado there of 99, then on to the Painted Desert, Grand Canyon, The Great Salt Lake, Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, then entered Canada at Rooseville, on up to Banff, Jasper Ice Fields, Lake Louise, Prince George, and then on up to your place. We were touring most places for from three days to a week. We traveled with another couple, both of us in our own separate 34.5' and 36' HitchHiker 5th Wheel RVs. From there we went to Tok AK with all the neat little areas in between Daswon Creek and TOK. Then a week in Fairbanks to pan for gold which we got a hundred bucks worth of placer gold, and toured the area, then Denali for three days, a weeks rest in Anchorage, then on down the Kenai peninsula to fish the salmon runs. First in Soldotna for a week and purchase of our licenses and gear. NO salmon for three days then when their run up the Kenai river started, we limited out in an hour, six big 12-20 pound Red Salmon each! And few Dolly Varden, a trout like fish that eats great. Then on down to Seward for two weeks of charter bay and deep sea fishing trips for Halibut, Red Snapper, Ling Cod, and sweet, sweet, rockfish with Bald eagles swoooping down to grab any junk fish we wanted to throw to them out near the boat, in return for videotaping their grab. We climbed the glaciers and then proceeded to our last fishing stop, Valdez, the end of, and shipping terminal for, the Alaskan pipeline. We fished in the bay while giant tankers came in and left, leaving 6 foot swells in their wake for us to bob in fishing. We were there for the Silver Salmon run, the biggest salmon variety after King Salmon ranging from 16-30 pounds each. We went out past Hitchinbrook Island in the Gulf of Alaska for 50 pound Halibut and 30 pound Ling Cod, small by their standards as barn door size are 200 pounds and up. We toured the port, and the Hatchery for Pink salmon that the locals called animal feed and a trash fish. I thought it was the best salmon when smoked. The we scooted back down the Cassiar Highway from Valdez September 5th long after the other RVrs left to be sure of no snow and ice. We lucked out and though cold, no ice, and perfect weather to buy some chips of Jade at the largest Jade mine in North America. We hit Prince George four days later, and crossed back into the US on the 5th day late at Sumas rather than do the tolls and traffic on the Peace Bridge, we took our time and lost a week when I burned an axle hub up on the 5th wheel, and had to replace the entire axle near . We hustled down to Fiddler's Cove Military RV park and Yacht club on the Strand/Coronado Island for a month as my Mom and two brother lived there. Our friends and us parted ways there as they had to get home for a wedding in Texas South of Houston.

We made our way back along I-8 to Yuma, then Gila Bend, then Casa Grande Arizona, I-10 to Tucson and Benson AZ, Deming NM to El PasoTX, then the longest leg, I-20 all the way to Shreveport area, home. That was just one year of seven fulltime RV traveling with no living place but or RV, and storage at our winter RV pad with hookups we built on my in law's property.

All that to say that we humans start to not "see" what we are looking at and need to pinch ourselves regularly to see the wonders around us. They are around all of us worldwide. We've been/lived on 4 continents like Drake, Toots and IP, and many others here, and we know. That trip above was in my 47th year after two years full time RVing already. Youth is not to be wasted on the dreams of another. Many with the money to do whatever they want have no time to do anything but manage their money and exercise their power. There is a balance and I don't ever want to be wealthy. Safe and sober, re-tired with modest means is good, very good.

Toots sounds like our East coast but their precip is a blizzard. Stay warm and dry.

We finally got winter weather with 55° F (12.77°C) The mosquitoes will be bad this year. And this year we have the Zika virus spreading here already, instead of it being stopped by a severe winter like a few years ago.

Last night we stayed up and watched a movie called "I'll Be Me." Another of our music greats is alive but taken from us. If you can see it do. Some of us have already been through it. His music persisted after his mind was well on its way, in a final farewell tour. Here is a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-6Vjzq8dAk

Have a great Saturday Overs!
Old 02-06-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Itchy I'm ok been having a issue with my lower left abdomen I had an unusual pain that stayed for 3 days my Dr knows a bit already & I'm booking an apt with that Dr on monday

I recently finished a return to love by Marianne Williamson which I though was really good & today in the post a surprise arrived Mrs sw got me a new book titled angels don't play this haarp

We had Shepard's pie for dinner & mrs sw is watching the voice which is a joke imo

Saw a flick called solace which I didn't think much of despite it starring Anthony Hopkins

Had a hot bath after doing the housework we cleaned the garden and brought some stuff in so it get blown here there & everywhere

Making Mrs sw a triple choc muffin topped with custard for desert and treating her to a massage

I've heard the zika virus can be spread by saliva so soon enough itl be everywhere sorry about the mosquitoes Itch
Old 02-06-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  
instant

Hi everyone. I am doing well- enjoying life

Sobriety rocks!!
Old 02-06-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya instant!

Wolfie, sorry you didn't like the film Solace, I liked it. 8/10. Gonna watch that film itchy just mentioned. ' I'll be me.' Just looked at the write ups for it. Sounds very poignant, itchy.

Crikey, the zika virus sounds scary. They will be working hard to find a cure, a vaccine.

Hope you get sorted at the docs with your abdomen, Wolfie.

Itchy, good music! I love Cat Stevens music, along with many others.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad you liked it Mags were going to watch a film called last knights starring Clive Owen & Morgan freeman

Goodnight all
Old 02-06-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  
Magsie

Not seen that one, Wolfie, but great actors in it. Anything with Morgan freeman gets my vote.

Morning overs, Sunday 6.36 am here. I'm sat in bed and my cat wants me up! I've already fed him but he thinks I should be up by now! The wind has died down now, thankfully.

Bought a new mattress topper and it's so comfy. I couldn't get on with those memory foam ones, too hot for us. I got one what looks like a sheets coat but it's synthetic. Now I'll never get out of bed. Lol.

Hope it's a good Sunday for all.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:31 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Morning folks, it's the typical 3 in a bed romp Sunday morning here in Tootsville. Well, not so much a romp as me & hubby catching up with seperate news on our fruity tablets and Molly having a mid morning nap as she only slept 12 hours last night !

Finally got a full 18 yesterday and put in my first card. 2 more and I will get my official handicap.

Another wet and windy day here, but going to our daughters for tea - a real treat for me not to have to cook and wash up! Yay!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice one toots! A hole in one looks on the cards!
Enjoy your tea out. Definitely recommended now and again.

Sunny here now but wind is now getting up. Think rain is on its way.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:43 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Muggy here...really awful. Or it's me. It could be me. I am hot all of the time now.
(This too shall pass).

Love to all of the Overs. ♥
Old 02-07-2016, 02:02 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi V. Those hot times , hey, I sympathise x
Old 02-07-2016, 02:10 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Thank you love; this is SO not fun!! Grrrrrrr.....

Oh, our darling Sas has a year & a half sober today....we love you Sas!

Old 02-07-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sassy, congrats on 18 months sober!

For a white suburban kid from Minnesota, I was REALLY into R&B music back in the 1970s. James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, I loved 'em all. In fact, I once told my Mom that I wanted to grow up to be one of Gladys Knight's Pips! Anyway, EW&F were a HUGE part of my childhood and I loved just about everything they ever recorded. I later found out that prior to forming EW&F, Maurice White was the drummer for the Ramsey Lewis Trio. A friend of mine once described EW&F's music as "joyous" and I couldn't agree more.

Have a Super Sunday, gang (copyright, National Football League)!
Old 02-07-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Thanks V and FBL :-)

And top 'o the mornin to all the Overs!
Old 02-07-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Saskia on 18 months heck yeah !

Old 02-07-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Do your best

Was tidying up the neighbours fallen leaves in our garden the wind swept it in to a nice tidy pile then refilled the birdfeeders and made sure Baxter the thief only has a fair share, done the housework done some shopping got some films

Thier selling all the compost & hanging basket stuff so thatl be good for the spring/summer

Spk after guys its lunchtime
Old 02-07-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Congrats on 18 Sass!