Notices

One Year & Over Part 34

Old 02-07-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
Youth is not to be wasted on the dreams of another. Many with the money to do whatever they want have no time to do anything but manage their money and exercise their power. There is a balance and I don't ever want to be wealthy. Safe and sober, re-tired with modest means is good, very good.
Such great advice. "I don't ever want to be wealthy"....words you just don't hear and so, so refreshing to think that way. And how true. My dad has always said that to me too, when I've been complaining about not having more money: "the more money you have, the more problems you have."

My colleague and I wrote our farewell editorials yesterday and sent them to print. Now, we are officially done.
And on to the next. I'm feeling more relaxed. I'm on holiday, basically. I know that it's only going to be a matter of time before I'm into the next thing.
I realize what a unique spot I am in. I'm lucky. Nothing tying me down, anywhere. Although I'm not super excited about moving again, what a hassle. The other reporter has to move back to Ontario, or wherever she can find a job. The graphic designer of the paper is in the same spot too, except she just lost her house too because she left her boyfriend. She is floating, jobless and homeless, she'll go anywhere for a job. What is wrong with this world that hard-working people can't work where they want to live? Everyone's migrating everywhere, what is this the 1930s??? Seriously something's gotta change.

I'm reading this now: http://www.theparisreview.org/interv...71-joan-didion
Old 02-07-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 18 months Sassy, yay.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Magsie

Inpar, I can feel it in your words, that you seem more relaxed and, dare I say happy, considering, you are managing life well.x
Old 02-07-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  
Do your best

Goodnight Overs
Old 02-07-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Sas

D
Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Thanks all, I am over the moon happy about staying sober. Each day I count as a victory and my worst day now is immeasurably better than my "best" day drinking.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats Sassy! As a fellow Seenager I'll drink to that! (Chamomile mix teas with a bit of clover honey.)

FBL,
The 70's and 80s were great R&B times. Tower of Power, Average White Band, and

IP,
That interview salvaged after the death of the interviewer was as different as the subjects subjects.

I'm sure your prospects are less limited than most. I'd like to her you snagged a major market night DJ slot doing your unique mix of musical personality. I'd listen.

Mags, Wolf, Venus kitten, and Dee, hey y'all!

Instant,
Thanks for letting us know all's well.

My Broncos won it! My son moved to Denver a couple of years ago. He still roots for the Saints and Broncos. Manning might retire? And Elway was coaching too? Huah!

What a half time show! Not to mentio Lady GaGa starting it with the best rendition of the National Anthem since Hendrix at Woodstock! Amazing.

Have a nice week guys.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:42 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Congratulations Sass, I am so proud of you my sober friend. We've been through a lot together haven't we? X

All ok here. Early start & a long day
Old 02-07-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
My Broncos won it! My son moved to Denver a couple of years ago. He still roots for the Saints and Broncos. Manning might retire? And Elway was coaching too? Huah!

What a half time show! Not to mentio Lady GaGa starting it with the best rendition of the National Anthem since Hendrix at Woodstock! Amazing.
Oh yeah! Lady Gaga is a true star. A major talent. That was INCREDIBLE!

As for the rest...not my cup of tea, but good.

Glad your Broncos won Itchy.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:12 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Last Super Bowl was the last time I drank. So nice to have over a year in! Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:13 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

^^^ Oh...that is the best thing I've heard today!

on 1 year sober soberseeding!!

And lovely to meet you!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:23 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulation soberseedling
Old 02-08-2016, 01:13 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  
Wu Wei

Itchy Over the last few days you have mentioned a number of musical writers and performers. It is kind of uncanny but your list and mine are the same. I read your posts and was amazed at the coincidence. We must be alike in real life. Tower of Power forever.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 year, soberSeedling! What an easy way to remember your annual milestones :-)

Good morning, Overs!

Toots, yes, we've been through almost 3 years together. Your support and wise words have helped me so much and your friendship is priceless.

Itchy, it's good to have you back posting! I hope your heart is mending a little after your losses.

Happy Monday/Tuesday to all.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Good morning Overs

I hope everybody is well. Please excuse my unplanned absence, my husband was poorly, then me, then my lap top was playing up and we had some issues with my wayward narcopath son. Anyway, all is okay now and I'm glad to be back posting.

Awful weather still here, rain, rain and more rain, oh and wind too.

Congratulations Soberseedling on one year, that's just excellent.

Hello I.P, Mags, Sober wolf, Dee, Toots, Itchy, VC and Eternal Now.

Congratulations Saskia on 18 months, that's a fantastic achievement. xx

I'm going to have a read and catch up on what's been going on.

See you later.

Gxxxx
Old 02-08-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Grace, good to "see" you again.

Soberseedling, welcome to our little club.

Itchy, love me some Tower of Power! Lenny Williams played a little dive bar just a couple blocks from place about 10 years ago...still had a great voice!

Woke up to a little snow this morning. First snowfall we've had in a long time.

Before IP gets on my case, today's avi is the late, great Dan Hicks. Yep, he just passed away: Dan Hicks, Hot Licks Singer, Dead at 74 | Rolling Stone

Have a Magnificent Monday, overs!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Oh come on FBL I'm not that bad. RIP Dan Hicks.

Welcome seedling! Congrats on one year and very smart of you to tie it to a yearly event! Now everyone will always be celebrating with you, whether they know it or not. Mine's three days before Halloween :-/ Cause I was at a bar at a pre-Halloween party, feeling miserable. That's when I had my last drink. The party ended for me that night you could say. Fitting because Halloween was always my BIG night of the year to let loose. I stayed home that year.

My friend is coming over soon, I'm making him buckwheat pancakes with real maple syrup, then we're going snowshoeing! (Yes I AM in Canada, haha.)

I applied for six jobs this weekend. A summer internship at the Calgary Herald. A permanent multi-media reporting job near Vancouver, which would be awesome, another reporter job at a business magazine that I've written for before, and a couple others in more communications type jobs. And the Valemount job, which I have an interview for on Tuesday.

My landlord said if I want to stay here he will lower the rent until I sort myself out. So nice. Which of course makes the decision to leave harder.

I'll think about it while I'm out in nature today. Have a nice Monday Overs. It's a national holiday here, Family Day.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Howdy Overs! Just trucking along here
Old 02-08-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations SoberSeedling

RIP Dan Hicks
Old 02-08-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Congrats and to the Overs Seedling!