Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 9

Old 01-13-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

On a positive note... I registered to have a gob swab for delete blood cancer... a local little boy is very ill with leukemia. .. so i registered. It may be matched to anyone... I feel noble.... couldn't do that drunk!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
Ha ha what do you think "I" look like enfin??? It would be fun for us to all describe what we think each other looks like! :-)
I think you'd be glamorous, with long legs , an amazing smile and a personality that makes people want to be near you and make u happy! I think u live in a big white house with a balcony and vines with flowers and blue sky... but don't forget, like a book... everyone will have a different pic! All gorgeous for all of us I'm sure!!! And no one has an overflowing recycling bin hahaha...[/QUOTE]

You're exactly right enfin! That's exactly what I look like! Lol. ;-)

That's soooo awesome that you are trying to help the boy with cancer! Amazing!!!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jemma44 View Post
Hi everyone. I love our class too. I'm doing ok. My OH and I are committed to working things out. Lots of changes ahead. Counseling in the works. Patricia, your posts resonate so much with me. Try to stay positive. My boss called me into her office today to tell me she was paying me for a day I didn't work (long story...I was called off but shouldn't have been) Only you guys can imagine the fear in my heart when she said she needed to talk to me privately (after a recent bender). Oh the horrors. Instead I'm being paid for not even being there. Not worth the paranoia folks. Stay sober. So when your boss calls you in to reward you, you don't have a panic attack.
My brain works exactly like that Jemma! It's called catastrophic thinking! Always waiting for something horrible to happen!

BUT...the good news is....since I quit drinking and started going to counseling & working my recovery program, it's not even close to as bad!!! BONUS: I don't freak out every time I see a police car when I'm driving cause I'm SOBER! (I used to drive drunk a lot) :-( I'm ashamed of that....
Old 01-13-2016, 11:23 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Catastrophic thinking was the most damaging of all of my drinking side effects. It just kept the cycle going and going
Old 01-14-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lastchance77 View Post
Catastrophic thinking was the most damaging of all of my drinking side effects. It just kept the cycle going and going
I call it THE Fear.... and it's funny how something so awful kept u chained to it.... aren't humans funny. ...
Old 01-14-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ultradad View Post
Congrats Tufty!

I have a 5O miler this weekend and just had someone mention to me on Facebook how we get to drink beer when its over! The craft beer scene is so prevalent in this sport! I'm already planning to bring my own craft root beer and ginger ale, what I did last year when I was sober! I did, for a fleeting moment romanticize that first beer, but you and I both know it wouldn't be only one! Now I'm romanticizing the thought of that first ginger ale and enjoying a nice cigar at the end of the race and starting a new, healthier tradition for the trail running scene!

Congrats on your 73 days and here's to many, many more!
Good luck on your 50 miler, Keep posting on how much fun you're having and how great you feel and it could just give me the kick up the arse I need to get fit again. I can picture you after the race kicking back with your Montecristo and holding your winners medal up for the photographers.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lastchance77 View Post
Is this quite common amongst drinkers?

I know I'm guilty of it but I've always put this down to other factors.
If I remain abstinent will I morph into Positive Pete?
Old 01-14-2016, 12:55 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Good question. It was chicken and egg with me. Drinking caused doom thoughts which caused drinking and so on. Thought it was just me.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:02 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm a lot more positive than I used to be - I had to do a lot of work on myself as well, but not drinking anymore definitely helped

D
Old 01-14-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Morning class mates, it's a beautiful day here in Somerset, a really hard frost this morning which makes a change to the constant rain of late.

I've realised that the reason the counsellor I contacted last week didn't show up for our appt is because I got the wrong week. The appt is tonight, and yes, I am wearing my muppet hat right now.

I spoke to my girlfriend about counselling and expressed my doubts about whether I would benefit. I practically had to pick her back off the floor she laughed so hard. Her point being I REALLY DO need to go back to it again (it's been several years), and as she's a counsellor herself I'll trust her judgement.

Onwards & upwards, have an über good day classmates.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:20 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tufty13 View Post
Morning class mates, it's a beautiful day here in Somerset, a really hard frost this morning which makes a change to the constant rain of late.

I've realised that the reason the counsellor I contacted last week didn't show up for our appt is because I got the wrong week. The appt is tonight, and yes, I am wearing my muppet hat right now.

I spoke to my girlfriend about counselling and expressed my doubts about whether I would benefit. I practically had to pick her back off the floor she laughed so hard. Her point being I REALLY DO need to go back to it again (it's been several years), and as she's a counsellor herself I'll trust her judgement.

Onwards & upwards, have an über good day classmates.
Ah, so somerset... used to live there. .. so beautiful! !! Have a good meeting... it's very cathartic to talk to someone I find !
Old 01-14-2016, 01:35 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm a lot more positive than I used to be - I had to do a lot of work on myself as well, but not drinking anymore definitely helped

D
Hmm, I think this is key.

I've never met anyone as positive and as chipper as my girlfriend but there again I've never known anyone who has done as much work on themselves as she has and STILL does.

Boy did she have some stuff to deal with though, not run-of-the-mill "childhood-was-grim-and my-mother-didn't-love-me" stuff like mine. Horrific stuff that made the headlines of our national press twenty five years ago. Stuff so bad that she wouldn't tell me but (shamefully) I googled something she said. I wish I hadn't.

The point being happiness and positivity clearly comes from within, it just takes some work accessing it for some people.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Whereabouts did you live enfin? It is indeed stunning round here and a good couple of degrees warmer than "up north"
Old 01-14-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Don't know where i picked it up from but thought you were London based Tufty, lovely part of the country Somerset and Enfin deepest England has had me wondering where that maybe, somewhere picturesque and rural I guess.

Definitely another one for the catastrophic thinking here - forever believing that I'm on the verge of impending doom and losing everything- questioning how I've got where I am / when will I be found out.

Also no confidence at all in my own ability the majority of the time and always doubting myself - flip side no fear at all when under the influence - loudest there and a complete show off, I can be like that too without a drink if I'm sure of myself but can also go so far into myself if not - confidence issues definitely but not so once I'm on one. Never been one for speaking in front of an audience it petrifies me / same with things like presentations or anything out of my comfort zone I have point blank refused to be pushed to do such things down the years but you watch me go and be the life and soul and most on show person possible once I'm confident of something or in surroundings I feel comfortable with - add drink and drugs to the mix and there's no stopping me, until in fact it stops me I mess up in a big way and I come crashing down again. Been repeating that bit for 30 years but now put an end to it as definitely a major part of the problem.

Time to sort the rest of it too - awaiting my first appointment as I type.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Whereabouts did you live enfin? It is indeed stunning round here and a good couple of degrees warmer than "up north"
Lived in a few places...Chard, Axminster (Devon I know ) glastonbury (a party place for sure).... didn't help me being sober there!!!
Old 01-14-2016, 02:58 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post

Lived in a few places...Chard, Axminster (Devon I know ) glastonbury (a party place for sure).... didn't help me being sober there!!!
Red Andy. .
It's shropshire now... the place that everyone wonders where it is!!! It's lovely. ... and very rural!
Old 01-14-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post

Definitely another one for the catastrophic thinking here - forever believing that I'm on the verge of impending doom and losing everything- questioning how I've got where I am / when will I be found out.

Also no confidence at all in my own ability the majority of the time and always doubting myself - flip side no fear at all when under the influence - loudest there and a complete show off, I can be like that too without a drink if I'm sure of myself but can also go so far into myself if not - confidence issues definitely but not so once I'm on one. Never been one for speaking in front of an audience it petrifies me / same with things like presentations or anything out of my comfort zone I have point blank refused to be pushed to do such things down the years but you watch me go and be the life and soul and most on show person possible once I'm confident of something or in surroundings I feel comfortable with - add drink and drugs to the mix and there's no stopping me, until in fact it stops me I mess up in a big way and I come crashing down again. Been repeating that bit for 30 years but now put an end to it as definitely a major part of the problem.

Time to sort the rest of it too - awaiting my first appointment as I type.
Sounds like me pretty much..... been burying my own crap self and fears of failure, not being liked, not being any good, been burying them for years.... alcohol seems to give confidence, while robbing your own actual being residing in your soul.
Time to find us and help them emerge from the cave! Good luck with the appointment 😀
Old 01-14-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Andy - good luck in your meeting, you're showing great commitment, I doff my cap to you and if it doesn't sound too sycophantic, I get really uplifted by reading about your progress.

Sobriety for me is just the first step on a journey of personal exploration. I started it a few years ago but I got sidetracked by divorce followed by hard partying and completely lost myself again. What I really want to do is grow emotionally and spiritually but it's going to take more than not drinking and posting a few sound bites on SR for that to happen. Ah, if only there were a pill I could take, then you'd be talking (except I tried that too!).

Enfin, no one's ever going to get sober in Glastonbury! I'm just a stone's throw away.

So you're now a Salopian, it's one of my favourite counties. I've walked the Wenlocks, the Stiperstones, parts of Offas Dyke, all round Church Stretton and beyond. Still got an old railway clock I bought in a junk shop in Bridgnorth years ago.

I used to work out of Ludlow and travelled visiting farmers all over rural Shropshire back in the day. The only thing wrong with Shropshire is that it's not Herefordshire ;-) now that is a stunning county!

Ah well, out of respect for the international nature of the SR community I'd better not turn this into a love-fest for rural Blighty.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Andy - good luck in your meeting, you're showing great commitment, I doff my cap to you and if it doesn't sound too sycophantic, I get really uplifted by reading about your progress.

Sobriety for me is just the first step on a journey of personal exploration. I started it a few years ago but I got sidetracked by divorce followed by hard partying and completely lost myself again. What I really want to do is grow emotionally and spiritually but it's going to take more than not drinking and posting a few sound bites on SR for that to happen. Ah, if only there were a pill I could take, then you'd be talking (except I tried that too!).

Enfin, no one's ever going to get sober in Glastonbury! I'm just a stone's throw away.

So you're now a Salopian, it's one of my favourite counties. I've walked the Wenlocks, the Stiperstones, parts of Offas Dyke, all round Church Stretton and beyond. Still got an old railway clock I bought in a junk shop in Bridgnorth years ago.

I used to work out of Ludlow and travelled visiting farmers all over rural Shropshire back in the day. The only thing wrong with Shropshire is that it's not Herefordshire ;-) now that is a stunning county!

Ah well, out of respect for the international nature of the SR community I'd better not turn this into a love-fest for rural Blighty.
Well, I'm about 5 miles from Herefordshire and indeed grew up in that county..but I like the shropshire hills better I think... although it's getting a bit popular!

And I agree about glasters. .. party through and through.... fun while it lasted but there are so many casualties! I'll just keep the memories. ... we visit now and again as still love the place though!

We may pass in the street. .. be sure to wink! 😀
Old 01-14-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Today is day 61 for me. According to my iphone app, I have saved 23,838 calories & $1,549.53 dollars since my last drink.

Here's my question...why have I only lost 2 pounds? I'm not really eating more & 23,838 calories saved from not drinking is almost 7 pounds!!! AND I'm exercising!

I want the weight to fall off!!! Ugh. I'm not grossly overweight but I did gain some weight drinking. I want my 125 figure back! Well at least I'm sober!!! :-)

Tips?

Have a great day!