Notices

One Year & Over Part 32

Old 12-09-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Wolfie, so sorry to hear about your brother. The best thing you can do is to be there for him in his time of grief.

Drake, good to "see" you again.

It's a balmy 45F here this morning. Looks like more warm weather is on the way.

Have a great hump-day, overs!
Old 12-09-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Itchy & everyone

Mags it was my brothers first sponsee x

I ended up reading Meditations last night its a good book loved reading it

Have a nice time in the phillipeans Drake
Old 12-09-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

sobe, your bro will make a better sponsor down the line from this sad experience

i lost two sponsees over the years, and it's never easy

just a reality check on this stuff really being life & death

send your bro my best sobe
Old 12-09-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Hi Over's,

I'm off to the DR for an annual checkup. Turns out that the affordable care act includes many things at no co-pay. So, I had blood work Saturday for us to discuss today. I will get scrips for the flu and shingles shots - yuk, hate shots....etc. My Dr and I always talk life, work and politics in detail. He is Muslim, so we will have some fun dissing trump, for sure. I will show him a tweet from the mayor of the city in FL where I am moving from yesterday saying that he bans trump from city limits until it is determined what damage he might cause - priceless!

I remember in the past how I looked forward to these visits so that I could get 30 percocet's, claiming back pain when driving. While booze was my drug of choice, I never missed this chance for 30 pills for $5 and the 3-4 day buzz that followed. That's right, I would just do them till they were gone...drinking with them. Difference was, I would miss them, but not crave...so I was happy to wait for my next Dr appt...booze was always there when I needed it.

A couple years ago I told him of my addiction and recovery and to take any request by me for drugs off the table. Fact is, I have no desire to alter my reality today - and for that I am extremely grateful !!

SW, my best to your brother as he works through his pain. RZ offers sound thoughts. I haven't completed the 12 steps yet, so sponsorship is off the table for me in favor of a variety of other service work. Once I do though, I will look forward to that next step and the path it leads. Again, my best to him...simply put, it wasn't his fault, that is just an outcome that will happen in roomfuls of addicts.

I had dinner with someone that I had become very close to in AA early Feb last year. She had relapsed that fall and we lost touch for months. Anyway, dinner was amazing...we laughed, joked, talked about her new plan of attack, etc...just like we hadn't skipped a beat. She lives an hour away and we were to meet for a mtg a few days hence. She last minute cancelled and did not respond to my msgs to her after that day. Two weeks after that dinner where all seemed fine she committed suicide. I didn't see it at all. I wear a pendant that she and I designed...in fact there are only 2 in this world. That is how I pay my respects. She and that message on the pendant will live on.

Later, gang.

Carlos
Old 12-09-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening overs

Reading your experiences of friends and acquaintances really makes me think. And be grateful. It could've so easily been me. I had crazy thoughts when drunk and most of them I didn't want to live like that anymore. Fortunately, I got off the crazy train. Along with you guys,.

I'm so grateful for being here and living without booze. And knowing you all, too!
Old 12-09-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Rusty & Carlos I spoke with him around a hour ago & I told him its normal to feel this way shock hurt pain anger etc I know he's angry so I was just being there for him he's heard some things ppl are saying & hes having a breather from mtns while he processes it he was talking about finding a new sponser as I think he said something about it

I've told him we'l meet up asap go snooker or something but tonight he's at home watching football with a trusted friend

Yesterday my neice done amazing with her mark on her presentation and today sent me pics of her official uni rugby squad she looks awesome she also sent me pics of her game today which I loved

Right now I'm cooking shins of scotch beef I've sweated celery, carrots, mushrooms, leek, tomatoes, onion & garlic

I floured the chopped up shins & seared & browned them I added that to the sweated veg & then made up 560ml of beef stock covered with tin foil & slow roasting it I put it in at 4.40pmish & its now 7pm

Mrs Sw has a migraine so out came the kool n soothe and I switched off the bedroom light for an hour she's just had a bath & is feeling a bit better

& lastly today I read a 250 page + book in around 2-3 hours it was called the light between us
Old 12-09-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Wolfie others said it better and with more personal experience so I'll just add that I hope your brother doesn't take too much of this on board. You are both in my thoughts.

I reached 1000 days today!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Do your best

Toots you have just made my evening

Massive congratulations on 1000 days xxx Toots you Mrs are awesome xx

Night guys
Old 12-09-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 1000 days Toots

D
Old 12-09-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations toots, 1000 days
Old 12-09-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Toots, you are awesome
Old 12-09-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Congrats on the big 1000 toots!!

Old 12-09-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

FBL, I like the new avatar :-)
Old 12-09-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

1,000 days!? Toots that's awesome. Good for you gal!!!!

Just got home from work, got lentil soup on the stove, listening to Steely Dan's Aja, feeling pretty good I must say. Relaxed. Starting to look forward to going HOME FOR CHRISTMASSSSSSSS. Haven't been home in ten months. A week will simply not be enough time.

Thanks for that fuzzy gown Mags it's awesome.

This soup is amazing. Pat, pat, patting my own back.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:12 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats again on 1000 days Toots

Old 12-10-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Thank you all! I felt really proud of myself all day, I wanted to tell everyone I met! Milestones do give us pause to stop and look at the scenery, look back over the hills climbed, the burn of unused emotional muscles as each early step took an effort. Looking up from the foothills of yet another mountain and wondering 'is it worth it or will I just head back? Where's the reward? There's gonna be another hill just as big right beyond it' but then even though the hills are still in front, they get easier to climb and I become more excited about seeing the view from the top. Well I topped a mountain yesterday and took time to appreciate the view. And guys, it is amazing. Thank you all, sometimes I needed a hand up, sometimes a push from behind, and sometimes I needed distracted with a game of hide and seek to stop me thinking too hard about how difficult it was. I had you guys for all that.
I raise my glass of fizzy water and shout Slàinte and Thank You
Old 12-10-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Toots, congrats on 1000 days...here's to the next 1000

Have a great Thursday, overs!
Old 12-10-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

way to go toots!!!
Old 12-10-2015, 04:33 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

InPar, I love good lentil soup. You may find me on your doorstep with a hungry look on my face :-)
Old 12-10-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Haha, thanks Saskia, I'd love to have you here for soup! All the Overs, come on over! I'll give you all directions. It might take awhile for you to get here.
Imagine an Overs party? That would be amazing wouldn't it? A Very Over Christmas Party.
SW how are things going on your end? How's your brother holding up? Poor guy. I can't imagine how he must feel but I hope he's getting over the shock and accepting that it wasn't his fault. Not at all. I think Itchy said it too, it's hard to really realize how little influence you actually have on other people. Until things like this happen and you see how in their own head people can be.
IWLSAST, I'm sorry for your experience as well.
My brother has tried to kill himself twice, that I know about. With all of his problems I still can't fathom how he would want to just leave this world completely. It's scary.
Oh, by the way, he is getting out of jail this month after being inside for over two years. We are afraid that he'll get out before Christmas and show up. He will know that he's not welcome, so I can see him just coming without calling first. It's kind of stressful. I have mixed feelings about it because I miss him, but also he is basically walking chaos.
Anyway.
I just saw the Northern Lights out my window you guys! Not dancing or anything, just a big green streak in the sky, but still, breathtaking and massive. Has anyone else here seen them before? I would love to hear your Aurora Borealis stories. I saw them as far south as the U.S. border once. A town called Creston. I was sleeping outside in a field, hitchhiking to the border. It was during my "lost years". That trip was interesting to say the least. I should write a book about my hitchhiking adventures. Or misadventures.
I have little roommates, that I have grown used to: little tiny papery moths. They hang out in my bath towels, you guys. There's not a lot of them, just a constant few, but they don't appear to be going anywhere. Oh well. As long as I don't start talking to them, right?
Ten days till I go home. It's going to be so weird to be back in the city, seeing all the stuff that is so familiar. I wonder how I will feel.
FBL you missed hump day. Happy Thursday, day-after-hump-day. I'm behind in work, as usual.