Notices

One Year & Over Part 32

Old 12-05-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Wolf. But I fear many don't know what we're talking about. I'm retired military. I subscribe to the concise view of LTC (RET) Dave Grossman, author of "On Killing." It is a very concise 4 page essay on what made the guys on the train in France tackle the terrorist instinctively, no time wasted deciding, before he could harm anyone but them with a few knife cuts. They were Sheepdogs as defined here: On Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs - Dave Grossman

As far as knowing about Scotland and the violence there, as well as the history of guns then knives there for assaults and murder, it was my job to know and teach that subject for twenty years and more.

Felons are not legally allowed to buy or own guns here, but breaking the law is the definition of felon, so they can buy gins on the street corner as easily as I do, in some cases easier and cheaper because the seller can't sell in the open or ask the same price as a legal gun.

YW Venus, and you turned out to be right vis a vis the shooters in California being terrorists!

FBL,
You know how I like my Taco!

Sassy, we're showing our age by our music!

IP, I knew your were joking!

For the benefit of the Yankees here in the country to your South, your -8°C is +17.6°F. Still cold.
Your Radio show is great I'm sure. Maybe you can get some recordings on the Internet like FBL, whose last one I still will listen to when I get a Round Tuit. That'd be Jim Dandy! Speaking of which, click here: Jim Dandy « The Word Detective

How'd the submissions meeting go with your colleague?

Carlos ol buddy!
Your kids sound like they justify your pride! I love that you catch all the coincidences and attributions thereof. I am one-track minded, drinking or sober, and miss much that I am not focused on at that moment. I've been told that when I have a guest they feel so comfortable because I am really listening and not allowing other distractions to distract. Some call it multitasking when in reality they become bored with anything requiring effort or giving attention to another. You are really tuned into the girls and situationally aware. And they to you. Lots of Lagniappe there.

Mags!
Hippy hair and silver streaks are the heat! I am not gray, I simply get more and more platinum blonde as I get older!

I am so glad you feel better, it even reads relaxed. You must have been typing slower.

Hey Petals! Good to see ya! Your spousal unit doing OK by you? You did well to keep that AV at bay.

I'm working on transferring everything from my old tablet to the new Surface Pro, and doing the tweaks to upgrades to Windows 10 on our desktops and tablets. I got the TV somewhat tuned in but still need to order a calibration DVD to nail it.

House folks are not through and I'm going down to their office Monday and raise holy hell about being put off and forgotten. I will offer to get my own plumbers and dirt workers and get it done and have them pay the bills or they can do it now, but tell them that ignoring it and not doing as contracted for is not happening. I have a crazy homeowner insurance that was paid in full directly from the Credit Union to them, the insurance company and now they are sending me certified mail that since it hasn't been paid it will be cancelled! I will need to fire the agent and his dang company. This is three strikes and they can't get it right yet. What would happen if heaven forbid we had a claim??? I asked the Credit union folks if we could change insurers to one who can actually finish the contract and file the payment correctly. I am not raging just wondering what the heck is going on with folks that want to be paid on time and then forget about the finishing touches on their end. I want them to be as prompt as I am, and not one bit more, or less. We have to park in the yard where no gravel has been spread and my car got stuck for two days until it dried up some. I've found that the newer cars do not have towing hooks or frame holes to tow by without damaging the ground effect spoilers and air dams under body work. I just dug ramps down and put front doormats under each drive tire and got out, just barely. My truck is parked where it can get out OK but I may have to leave it out and park my car under that carport. Regardless I know that if I had nothing I'd have no problems with getting and keeping things right, and paying for it in every way. I'm going to look into monastic life if they have wireless broadband and good TV signals.

It is driving me to drink strong coffee and eat peppermint Starlites!
Old 12-06-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Starlites...no clue Itchy love.

And...without wanting to go all political...what I meant, re the motive in San Bernardino...was because they can.
The actual reasoning behind these attacks is horrific of course, but the overwhelming horror of the day, for me, is that this is all having a domino effect.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Time to get up and make a start on my looong list of things to do.
Gonna start with coffee.
Then coffee and chores x
Old 12-06-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Itch as always I love learning & reading your posts
Old 12-06-2015, 02:28 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

inpar, didn't Ruby Star from Black Oak Arkansas come up with Jim Dandy?

like go jim dandy go!
Old 12-06-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  
Administrator

I only know the LaVern Baker version Zip

Old 12-06-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs.

Gonna start writing Christmas cards today., sat in my long 'Santa suit' t-shirt! Very festive, hehe.

I've a grocery order coming shortly then make lunch and a convivial day with hubby and Merlin my cat.

Have a good Sunday overs.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Do your best

Just heard on the news that last night in london a man stabbed 3 ppl saying this is for Syria

Smh
Old 12-06-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

IP, I really enjoyed listening to your radio show yesterday. You've got a great concept there with tying the songs together. Can't remember the last time I heard "Amsterdam" by Scott Walker

Dee, Lavern Baker did it first, but as a child of the 1970s, I grew up on the Black Oak Arkansas version:

Have a rockin' Sunday, gang!
Old 12-06-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon Overs (Itch I'm a Sheepdog too bud)
Old 12-06-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening guys & gals
Old 12-06-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wolf,
In person we can always tell. Lots of "tells."

Click on my link above to the origin of Jim Dandy as another way to say great, or fantastic.

Venus,
I get ya now. The domino effect is to report all the news. Violent crime in the US is way down and declining. Our politicians running for president on one side are inciting fear and Trump actually encouraged an audience to attack a black protester. Regardless the incitement to riot reminds me of the brown shirts and Kristellnacht. Our domestic terrorism where incidents like the recent killing in a Planned Parenthood clinic was praised by right minded (they think) wingnuts, are downplayed and online folks actually thought they were right?????

I am more in line with faithful America here: Love thy neighbor. No exceptions | Faithful America
they are the kinds of faith I would be more likely to associate with. Then right after a search for Faithful America the hate sites go into full swing.

It is not political, it is about power, and the gullibility of people. John Cleese has it right without the cover of politics and division by hate:

It's not politics. It is mass fear that started from one source and as Murdoch bought more then it is heard everywhere. Scratch what is called politics and you see fear and loathing, envy and jealousy. I did not pay as much attention drinking.

Starlites are mints here, bet you have them too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
starlight.jpg (12.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-06-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Are those called Starlites!? I never knew.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Yeppers!
Old 12-06-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Well, that's Jim Dandy!!! (Strikingly fine!)

Thanks for the link, that's a cool website! I bookmarked it.

The meeting was good, we have enough submissions for a 35 page magazine, approximately. We have to look into printing costs, then start designing it! So cool.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good morning
Old 12-06-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs.

I've not seen those mints in UK, itchy, but some very similar ones. I like the craven mints in individual wrappers, similar to starlights.

Cumbria is looking bad on the news with floods. My brother lives there and I've emailed him but his Internet may be down I think! We aren't close though.

Watched the original jungle book last night, first time it's been on tv. It is timeless.

Well I've got today off work and I'm going leisurely shopping. I need to get some 'nibbles' , our village hall is having a bring your own wine and nibbles evening! So I will take coffee and cake and maybe mince pies, and a few nibbles! Whatever takes our fancy.

Right, best shake a leg. Hope it's a good day for everyone.

Morning Wolfie!
Old 12-06-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Re-Member

YW IP! I love the language too, and love good and humorous wordsmiths. Thus my interest in word origins aside from the Greek and Latin roots of many.

Hey you are doing every aspect of the production not just the writing, and getting a better education about the cradle to grave of journalism.

I am impressed, really! Between FBL's many talents and radio shows, yours, RZs band, and the author of actual books not pamphlets among us, not to mention bird loving gourmands (hey that can work together quite well actually. Squab anyone?) fuzzy wuzzy guitar pickin moderators, and biking players along with the Gray streaked hippy chick, well, I missed many, but you get the idea.

I read today that Robin Williams wasn't killed by depression. he had :
"Lewy Body Dementia, which he was diagnosed with after taking his life in August 2014. He was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease three months before.

Susan said it was not depression that killed him, but the progressive brain disorder that causes symptoms such as stiff limbs, tremors, confusion and mental decline.

She went into more detail about the years leading up to his death as he began suffering with a number of symptoms including stomach pain, problems with his vision, anxiety, confusion and paranoia, which began in 2013.

In 2014, Susan [his wife] said Willams began suffering from ‘looping’ paranoia that could last up to two days." The whole article is here:
Robin Williams wife says actor was suffering delusions and paranoia in final days before death | People | News | The Independent

Tonight they had a two hour tribute to Frank Sinatra's 100th birthday with various artists doing his songs in tribute and man were there some surprises. I love "The Chairman" and have all his major recordings as well as Sammy Davis Jr, and Dino's best hits. I loved and admired "The Rat Pack" and thir comedy routines from Vegas. An era? Yeppers a golden era. It even made it over to Nazi Germany, and was considered a corruption of the Hitler youth. From the Movie "Swing Kids" Here is a classic "Sing Sing Sing With A Swing" remade with today's best technology. It was originally recorded by Benny Goodman and was the first ever recorded drum solo with Gene Krupa beating the skins. This is a must see movie if you haven't yet even if you are not a swing fan.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Nite Mags! Have a great day doing it your way!

Good morning Wolf, it's now 1 AM I gotta go rack! Every time I go into YouTube I lose at least an hour or three.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:44 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Magsie

I love frank sinatra's voice along with many in his era.